Uninterruptible power supply question

This topic is locked from further discussion.

DealRogers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 DealRogers
Member since 2005 • 4589 Posts

Hello. I bought a cheap UPS and had the PC, TV and PS3 connected to the battery. Last night there was a blackout and the battery didn't stay on as it was supposed to. I realized it was because of the TV and PS3, so now I only have the PC and it works as it should.

The TV, PS3 and my speakers setup are still connected to the UPS, but to the other side that doesn't have the battery protection. I turned off the UPS and realized the TV and PS3 still had their red led, which didn't happen before when they were connected to the battery.

My question is, should the UPS still give protection against voltage changes even when it's off?

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2  Edited By JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

It will protect them, there's just a MOV in there and that is a passive component.

Old_Gooseberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#3  Edited By Old_Gooseberry
Member since 2002 • 3958 Posts

It depends on the UPS wattage capacity on the battery. If you got a ps3 (150-200 watts of power) tv (70-450watts of power depending on if its led or plasma will be over 300 watts), and speakers could be 15-50 watts easily, more if its an 5.1/7.1 amplifier.

So at the most you are using 600+ watts of power, if its a cheap UPS i doubt its battery has that level of power capacity, but you should know since you bought it. I remember with my UPS it was rated at 450 watts about, but it couldn't handle my plasma tv, it would turn off. Which makes sense cause my plasmas power at a full bright screen uses over 400 watts... plus i had some other less draining devices in there.

So check the specs on the UPS. Also do a test and put less plugged into it to test if the battery even works. But if your running a plasma tv, get a really power UPS. I don't have my tv plugged in, its only plugged into the surge protection part of the UPS so it won't prevent the battery from powering other things.

Also the UPS batterys only last 10 minutes if your lucky. A but more if theres not much plugged in.