Unbearable crave for a space sim

#1 Edited by Burnchild_Ren (75 posts) -

The wait for Elite: Dangerous and Limit Theory (not Star Citizen though, as good as it's going to be, my PC will explode if I will ever dare run that beast on this machine) is killing me, and I NEED a space sim to calm my nerves down.

I'm also a spoiled brat in terms of graphics, so the older, pre-millenium space sims (which I hear are far superior to more recent ones) are out of the question.

Two games that are on my radar at the moment are X3 and X: Rebirth.

However, I hear that both of them feature some very apparent flaws, though I also hear that those flaws are somewhat remedied by mods.

To those of you who played these games - which is better, and what mods do you consider essential/very important in order to make them enjoyable are they worth it with those mods installed in your opinion?

Also, can you pilot capital ships in X3? not nearly enough games allow you to do that nowadays...

#2 Edited by pelvist (4939 posts) -

You can pilot capital ships in X3 but it takes some work to get one unless you use cheats. Didnt play enough of Rebirth to comment on that as it was full of bugs when I played it and havent got around to trying it again since the patches it got.

#3 Posted by Burnchild_Ren (75 posts) -

@pelvist: "it takes some work" If you mean that you have to get lots of money or something, I wouldn't have it any other way.
What about mods? any comment on mods that X3 has that you would consider integral to a good experience?

#4 Edited by pelvist (4939 posts) -

@Burnchild_Ren said:

@pelvist: "it takes some work" If you mean that you have to get lots of money or something, I wouldn't have it any other way.

What about mods? any comment on mods that X3 has that you would consider integral to a good experience?

Yes lots of money. I never bothered with any mods apart from the 3D cockpit mod in the X3 games. As far as I know that mod works for Reunion, Terran Conflict and Albion Prelude but Im not 100% sure any more. Its been a while since I played them.

#5 Edited by Doozie78 (375 posts) -

You're in luck then, Elite Dangerous is damn phenomenal, and there's a lot more goodness on the way! Definitely pick it up at release or now if you have the itch, I can't say I regret it at all. Very good game and runs well even on a laptop when in a pinch (at least with one that has an nvidia 660m or better since that's all I've tried it with).

#6 Posted by Burnchild_Ren (75 posts) -

@doozie78: Don't tease me, man. "Q4 2014" couldn't come any slower because of ED.

#7 Posted by Doozie78 (375 posts) -

@Burnchild_Ren said:

@doozie78: Don't tease me, man. "Q4 2014" couldn't come any slower because of ED.

If you're a fan then how come you aren't in beta? It's already a very fleshed-out game as it is. Everything else coming is just icing on that cake!

#8 Posted by Arthas045 (5339 posts) -

I have been playing X:Rebirth and I really enjoy it. I have not played many space sims, so I cannot compare to much. I really enjoy the open space and trading, but the combat was tricky at first.

#9 Edited by cyloninside (676 posts) -

rebirth is garbage.... straight garbage. i recommend terran conflict or reunion. far superior games.

elite dangerous is going to be the game to have though. it is going to far outpace star citizen. they are under promising and over delivering, which is exactly how game development should be. star citizen has no chance at all of delivering what it is promising. not unless it plans on being in development for 6+ years.

#10 Posted by Blutfahne (275 posts) -

Get Kerbal it will rack your brain.