Ultimate Lan Gaming Machine idea!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by zaku101 (4315 posts) -

So I was bored and I found this program called "SoftXpand 2011" been using the duo version. So anyways it basically turns your computer into two, everything is shared between them and seperated by user accounts. Well it turns out this program is amazing for lan parties, I have a nice computer like the most of us on here so it can handle anything you throw at it.

So I decide lets try running two games at the same time on the same computer with two users logged in at the same time with their own keyboard, mouse and monitor. Turns out I had no issues at all, was playing Company of heroes today, while my bro was playing skyrim all on one pc with out lag!

Meaning if you've got a beast of a machine you could share it with everyone in your house or use it for a lan party. This would save you space, energy and money since you only need one computer to act as others.

Also if you've got a buddy you could combinedyour cash and build an OP gaming machine and just share it together.

~If you want to play the same game on the same machine you might have to copy the game folder to another location and run it.

#2 Posted by C_Rule (9739 posts) -
That's pretty cool.
#3 Posted by ShadowDeathX (10526 posts) -
Dual Xeon + Multiple GPU set up? :P One beast of a computer = two beast of a computer?
#4 Posted by zaku101 (4315 posts) -

Dual Xeon + Multiple GPU set up? :P One beast of a computer = two beast of a computer?ShadowDeathX

Naw actually it's just a AMD955 @ 4.0, a single 6970 and 4gb of ram, nothing 2 special :/

But yeah it pretty much equals 2 beasts or more depedning on who's doing what and when.

#5 Posted by ShadowDeathX (10526 posts) -

[QUOTE="ShadowDeathX"]Dual Xeon + Multiple GPU set up? :P One beast of a computer = two beast of a computer?zaku101

Naw actually it's just a AMD955 @ 4.0, a single 6970 and 4gb of ram, nothing 2 special :/

But yeah it pretty much equals 2 beasts or more depedning on who's doing what and when.

That is pretty good. I was just saying that a Dual Xeon machine might actually be useful for gaming, for once. If this thing supports Dual CPU computers.
#6 Posted by spittis (1875 posts) -
So you just hook up an extra monitor + M&KB and you're good to go?
#7 Posted by zaku101 (4315 posts) -

So you just hook up an extra monitor + M&KB and you're good to go?spittis

Yeah, just make an extra account on your computer for the other person to log into while you'r using yours. Also easier just using a usb mouse and keyboard combo but it doesn't matter.

#8 Posted by spittis (1875 posts) -

[QUOTE="spittis"]So you just hook up an extra monitor + M&KB and you're good to go?zaku101

Yeah.

That's very neat actually. Can be very handy when you got these friends with +5 year old dell and acer machines :P
#9 Posted by zaku101 (4315 posts) -

[QUOTE="zaku101"]

[QUOTE="spittis"]So you just hook up an extra monitor + M&KB and you're good to go?spittis

Yeah.

That's very neat actually. Can be very handy when you got these friends with +5 year old dell and acer machines :P

Yeah it totally does, they could just use your computer and make accounts, saves space, energy, and simply makes stuff easier.

#10 Posted by jakes456 (1437 posts) -

no thanks I'd rather have my own computer.

#11 Posted by zaku101 (4315 posts) -

no thanks I'd rather have my own computer.

jakes456

Well you still do since you can lock your user side and files. The other person could be in another room if he wanted to, wouldn't even know if he's on your computer or not.

#12 Posted by GummiRaccoon (13593 posts) -

Interesting, thanks for the heads up. Makes the guy that is **** about borderlands 2 split screen in pc games look even more ridiculous.

#13 Posted by katana_duo (1751 posts) -
Now that is pretty damn neat. I have plenty of friends that could use it.
#14 Posted by kraken2109 (12950 posts) -

Is it limited to 2 PCs on 1 or can you run more?

Something easy to run like CSS could probably be run 4 times on a modern PC, 4 player lan on one machine sounds great.

#15 Posted by zaku101 (4315 posts) -

Is it limited to 2 PCs on 1 or can you run more?

Something easy to run like CSS could probably be run 4 times on a modern PC, 4 player lan on one machine sounds great.

kraken2109

http://www.miniframe.com/products/softxpand/product-comparison.html

SoftXpand 2011

Maximum number of workstations per host :Limited only by hardware performance

Sadly that's only for the business version of it :/

#16 Posted by ShadowDeathX (10526 posts) -
Wait.....you can't launch a Steam game twice from the same account?
#17 Posted by zaku101 (4315 posts) -

Wait.....you can't launch a Steam game twice from the same account?ShadowDeathX

No since the other user has to still log into steam so it'll kick you out if you used the same account. You have to remember it's in a way acting as two totally different computers. You could both still log into two different account and game on one PC tho.

#18 Posted by Avenger1324 (16344 posts) -
That's pretty neat - one box effectively acting as 2 or more PCs. Suddenly those top end motherboards with 10+ USB ports, and dual/triple SLi cards with multiple DVI ports have a potential to have them all used at once.
#19 Posted by GummiRaccoon (13593 posts) -

That's pretty neat - one box effectively acting as 2 or more PCs. Suddenly those top end motherboards with 10+ USB ports, and dual/triple SLi cards with multiple DVI ports have a potential to have them all used at once.Avenger1324

>implying they wouldn't all be used at once before