Ok, this has been asked, like, a MILLION TIMES already. But even though I looked at user reviews for various space sims, read the forum topics, I still can't make up my mind. One review says: "Yeah, sure, buy the game, it's awesome!" and the other "Naah the game sux, don't get it, waste of time". So this is the request: Recommend me a good space sim! These are the conditions the game must meet:
1) Open space - The game has to be free-roam, with the ability to trade and participate in combat.
2) NEW game - New, as in, year 2009 or so and onward. I get some people are "retro-gamers" just because it's 'cool' to be one. I want a game where I can enjoy the beauty of space with pretty graphics, not stare at planets consisting of 16 pixels.
3) Good, or at least OK graphics - I understand graphics don't make the game. I'm playing Icewind Dale II right now and I love it. But I just want to experience the beauty of space travel in pretty environments.
4) Please, no Evochron Anything - Tried Evochron Mercenary, didn't like it, don't know why.
5) 1st and 3rd person - I don't see a point in buying a new ship if I can't see what it looks from the outside. And 3rd person view makes it easier for me to play.
P.S. - I've been thinking about X3: Terran Conflict. In your opinion, is it any good?