Ugh... Good space sims for PC?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by jovanroland (11 posts) -

Ok, this has been asked, like, a MILLION TIMES already. But even though I looked at user reviews for various space sims, read the forum topics, I still can't make up my mind. One review says: "Yeah, sure, buy the game, it's awesome!" and the other "Naah the game sux, don't get it, waste of time". So this is the request: Recommend me a good space sim! These are the conditions the game must meet:

1) Open space - The game has to be free-roam, with the ability to trade and participate in combat.

2) NEW game - New, as in, year 2009 or so and onward. I get some people are "retro-gamers" just because it's 'cool' to be one. I want a game where I can enjoy the beauty of space with pretty graphics, not stare at planets consisting of 16 pixels.

3) Good, or at least OK graphics - I understand graphics don't make the game. I'm playing Icewind Dale II right now and I love it. But I just want to experience the beauty of space travel in pretty environments.

4) Please, no Evochron Anything - Tried Evochron Mercenary, didn't like it, don't know why.

5) 1st and 3rd person - I don't see a point in buying a new ship if I can't see what it looks from the outside. And 3rd person view makes it easier for me to play.

P.S. - I've been thinking about X3: Terran Conflict. In your opinion, is it any good?

#2 Posted by NicotineKid (1475 posts) -

Yes, X3 is very good. And there are plenty of mods which makes the game even better.

#3 Posted by skrat_01 (33767 posts) -
I-War 2 X3:TC Difference here is that I-War 2 has a central narrative and actual proper Newtonian physics, as well as a persistent, constant galaxy (not like X3's jumpgates). The downside is there isn't a fraction of the depth of X3 and is structured around you being a space-pirate-guy. Also, it isn't new but it holds up extremely well once you fix the resolution, check it out on GOG.com. Oh yeah it has third person.
#4 Posted by mrbojangles25 (31998 posts) -

Ok, this has been asked, like, a MILLION TIMES already. But even though I looked at user reviews for various space sims, read the forum topics, I still can't make up my mind. One review says: "Yeah, sure, buy the game, it's awesome!" and the other "Naah the game sux, don't get it, waste of time". So this is the request: Recommend me a good space sim! These are the conditions the game must meet:

1) Open space - The game has to be free-roam, with the ability to trade and participate in combat.

2) NEW game - New, as in, year 2009 or so and onward. I get some people are "retro-gamers" just because it's 'cool' to be one. I want a game where I can enjoy the beauty of space with pretty graphics, not stare at planets consisting of 16 pixels.

3) Good, or at least OK graphics - I understand graphics don't make the game. I'm playing Icewind Dale II right now and I love it. But I just want to experience the beauty of space travel in pretty environments.

4) Please, no Evochron Anything - Tried Evochron Mercenary, didn't like it, don't know why.

5) 1st and 3rd person - I don't see a point in buying a new ship if I can't see what it looks from the outside. And 3rd person view makes it easier for me to play.

P.S. - I've been thinking about X3: Terran Conflict. In your opinion, is it any good?

jovanroland

If you dont like Evochron, you definitely will not like X3.  Theyre great games imo, but pretty much the same vein of diehard, hardcore space sim...emphasis on the sim.

Imo the only recent game that fits the bill is Indepence War 2, but good luck finding it (maybe check GOG and some other niche markets?).  It is honestly one of my favorite space sims of all time and, while a little older than 2009 iirc, it still looks amazing.

You play a space pirate, completely open sandbox universe, a decent story for when you get bored hijacking cargo, cool characters, a variety of ships and numerous upgrades.  It really is the whole package.

I also recommend Freelancer or Darkstar One; while, again, both are a bit older than 2009 iirc, they have aged well imo.  Just remember that Darkstar One is a german game and like all german games, suffers from terrible voice acting.  Awesome game though

#5 Posted by adamosmaki (9657 posts) -
X3 series They have a rather steep learning curve but once you get the hang of it its a great game
#6 Posted by Starshine_M2A2 (4089 posts) -

Eve Online, Sins of a Solar Empire and Homeworld. They're not simulators per se but they all showcase the beauty of gaming in an outer space setting brilliantly.

#7 Posted by pelvist (4874 posts) -

Skip terran conflict and go straight for Albion Prelude.

X3: Reunion, Terran Conflict and Albion Prelude are all pretty much the same game but with a different story but you can do more and there is a bit more polish in Albion Prelude.

#8 Posted by pelvist (4874 posts) -

[QUOTE="jovanroland"]

mrbojangles25

If you dont like Evochron, you definitely will not like X3.  Theyre great games imo, but pretty much the same vein of diehard, hardcore space sim...emphasis on the sim.

Imo the only recent game that fits the bill is Indepence War 2, but good luck finding it (maybe check GOG and some other niche markets?).  It is honestly one of my favorite space sims of all time and, while a little older than 2009 iirc, it still looks amazing.

You play a space pirate, completely open sandbox universe, a decent story for when you get bored hijacking cargo, cool characters, a variety of ships and numerous upgrades.  It really is the whole package.

I also recommend Freelancer or Darkstar One; while, again, both are a bit older than 2009 iirc, they have aged well imo.  Just remember that Darkstar One is a german game and like all german games, suffers from terrible voice acting.  Awesome game though

I dont like Evochron, but I love X3.

#9 Posted by Curlyfrii87 (14961 posts) -

I'm still hopeful for the infinity universe game - Linky

And in case some of you have not seen the tech demo put out a few years back... here is the video!

Just wish they would tell us something new on this game already! :x

#10 Posted by skrat_01 (33767 posts) -

mrbojangles25
Actually those are pretty excellent recommendations, Freelancer in particular. Open, sandboxy and pick up and play.
#11 Posted by pelvist (4874 posts) -

Yes, Freelancer is very good. Darkstar one however, is not.

#12 Posted by psn8214 (14925 posts) -

Stick to Freelancer; it's still the best after all these years.

#13 Posted by jovanroland (11 posts) -

I got X3 Terran Conflict, and I love it... Will probably install SoaS again, since I already own it... And yep, I'm still waiting for Infinity to come out, looks awesome, especialy the part when you fly directly into a planet's atmosphere and land on the planet itself. It really adds to the realism.