UBI ubisost removing deleting g2A Kinguin cdkeys cd keys from UPLAY accounts.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

rgrambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By rgrambo
Member since 2010 • 151 Posts

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1001533-Concerning-Far-Cry-4-removal-from-our-libraries-Open-letter-Forums?s=492219db2a8bd9d6a6dee6196dda548a

What are your thoughts on this?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58898 Posts

Not really a problem for me: stopped purchasing Ubisoft titles a while back.

Difficult to feel sorry for consumers still buying there games. They aren't exactly super secret about contempt towards consumers.

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By Renevent42
Member since 2010 • 6654 Posts

I'm not sure on the legality of the situation here...I'm reading various things from both sides and haven't made up my mind yet. With that said, while I don't use these 3rd party sites I am not surprised in the least this has happened. The fact they are selling brand new games $20-30 cheaper than every other reputable retailer kind of points to something fishy going on. I've seen them before and while saving money appeals to me, I kinda figured something like this would happen.

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts

If Ubisoft never gave those keys to the "retailer" to resell I fail to see the problem with banning the keys... Am I missing something? If anything the players should be mad at the site they purchased the illegally obtained key from. Don't get your games from shady sites.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts
@Toxic-Seahorse said:

If Ubisoft never gave those keys to the "retailer" to resell I fail to see the problem with banning the keys... Am I missing something? If anything the players should be mad at the site they purchased the illegally obtained key from. Don't get your games from shady sites.

A good company would just honor the keys anyway and avoid any potential pr issues.

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Toxic-Seahorse

@JigglyWiggly_ said:
@Toxic-Seahorse said:

A good company would just honor the keys anyway and avoid any potential pr issues.

Sure that would probably be a better move for PR, but you do agree that Ubisoft has every right to ban the keys that were illegally obtained, right? It's not like they're doing something wrong here. I'm all for bashing Ubisoft. They definitely deserve the criticism for recent events, but I feel like the anger is misguided in this instance. It should be at these shady sites and not Ubisoft.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

My thoughts are that you need to stop rolling your face across the keyboard when you type.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

That's a Polish site right? If so.. I see they got GTA V pre order for PC listed for 53.57$... Nut much to save there I reckon. Checking Allegro.pl and it seems to be listed for 159zł. Which is less than 50$...

Checking FC4... 31.34$ VS either 49.90zł or 144.90zł.. Going with the latter simply because it is higher. 39$ Some money to save there.

I really hope I read this right at Allegro. I don't read or speak Polish so I got no idea really :P

Oh wait I can compare prices directly as G2A lists them in a lot of different currencies.

SpicaAntares

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 SpicaAntares
Member since 2013 • 26 Posts

People haven't bought games from shady resellers but from a shady publisher who suddenly felt the need to jack the price of its games. Go take a look at Steam and elsewhere and make a search for Ubisoft recent games. You'll get your answer!

Those keys sold at G2A, Kinguin, CJS and some others weren't blacklisted, those keys weren't stolen, those keys weren't generated by some key-generator. Those keys were created by Ubisoft, sold by Ubisoft and recognize by Ubisoft servers as legitimate keys and people had them for weeks and months.

Ubisoft policy is quite simple to understand: you want our games, you're in North America or Western Europe? you pay full-price! Everyone else will gets a better price. Not happy with it then the hell with you. We at Ubisoft won't go after resellers, after all they're giving us money, we will go after our consumers, we will zap your games if we want to, because we can and because we make the rules. And if we're not happy with our own rules we will change them and create new ones.

I think they are due for the same type of lesson Microsoft received last year...

jimmyjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By jimmyjammer69
Member since 2008 • 12239 Posts

It would be nice to hear a statement from Ubisoft themselves about the reason for revoking those keys. While I guess it's technically possible they were all stolen, a lot of the concerns are that this is more about preventing re-sellers selling off keys from legitimate e.g. Russian copies. AFAIK, as long as buyers are paying domestic sales taxes, that's perfectly legal, and it's definitely more in line with EU competition laws than trying to control all sale outlets and prices.

Avatar image for PfizersaurusRex
PfizersaurusRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10  Edited By PfizersaurusRex
Member since 2012 • 1503 Posts

I honestly believe the publishers sell keys to those "fishy" sites. The reason i believe that is there is no way you can get so many keys through fraud and not have the victims cry all over the internet about it. It also doesn't seem likely that the publishers themselves are the victims of fraud or hack or whatever. It can happen once, but it can't happen all the time. It's simply a convenient way of having discriminating prices. If you can't afford to pay $50 for every game you want, no problem, you can get it for $25. It's still better than going pirate. But you'll get screwed from time to time, because we need to scare off "rich" people from buying games at half price.

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Toxic-Seahorse

@PfizersaurusRex said:

I honestly believe the publishers sell keys to those "fishy" sites. The reason i believe that is there is no way you can get so many keys through fraud and not have the victims cry all over the internet about it. It also doesn't seem likely that the publishers themselves are the victims of fraud or hack or whatever. It can happen once, but it can't happen all the time. It's simply a convenient way of having discriminating prices. If you can't afford to pay $50 for every game you want, no problem, you can get it for $25. It's still better than going pirate. But you'll get screwed from time to time, because we need to scare off "rich" people from buying games at half price.

I have a hard time believing Ubisoft sold them keys and then banned the keys. The reason being that they already got their money for the keys, what would be the point? I'd also like to point out that if Ubisoft directly sold them the keys and then banned them all, that would be highly illegal in pretty much every country. Ubosift wouldn't be that stupid, they pay people to make sure things like that don't happen. The fact that this is even a discussion about the banned keys and not a lawsuit again Ubisoft pretty much proves that Ubisoft didn't directly sell them the keys.

I'm rather interested in exactly how the sites got these keys.

SpicaAntares

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 SpicaAntares

@jimmyjammer69:

They won't open their mouth because the moment they do they'll get their foot in and get sued.

How can you openly say you're concept of free market is to decide who sells what and at what price, who gets overcharged and who gets a better price? How can you openly say you sold keys but then decided to revoke them on a whim, because you felt those who bought them could've paid more? A bit hard to do, isn't it?

Take a moment to go to Steam, everything will be clearer after that. Far Cry 4: $69.99 (at least in the canadian market). $69.99 for a pc game; a game out for months without any box, disc, manual, a game you cannot install on someone else's computer in the house (wife or kids), a game you cannot lend, borrow, resell, do what you please with it because "it isn't yours".

I'll tell you why they are doing that: AC: Unity was a flop, a bug-ridden flop. Watch Dogs didn't meet expectations. So now they're doing their best to get some maximum cash-flow by going against resellers and treating their customers like some herd to be directed toward Steam and the like.

Doolz2024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#13 Doolz2024
Member since 2007 • 9623 Posts

Watch Dogs which I purchased from G2A for dirt cheap a while back is still on my account and has been for a few months... game is garbage though, so I'm not going to get upset in the slightest if it's removed. I'll just buy their games at $5 on Steam from now on though, just to be safe.

Nick3306

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Nick3306
Member since 2007 • 3429 Posts

@jimmyjammer69 said:

It would be nice to hear a statement from Ubisoft themselves about the reason for revoking those keys. While I guess it's technically possible they were all stolen, a lot of the concerns are that this is more about preventing re-sellers selling off keys from legitimate e.g. Russian copies. AFAIK, as long as buyers are paying domestic sales taxes, that's perfectly legal, and it's definitely more in line with EU competition laws than trying to control all sale outlets and prices.

Ubisoft Has already stated that the keys were fraudulent. I am not going to feel sorry for a bunch of people who bought keys from a fishy site and got burned.

jimmyjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 jimmyjammer69
Member since 2008 • 12239 Posts

Is there really anything that fishy about G2A, though? They look pretty legit, and I've seen a few prolific posters on this site recommend them recently. Auctioning CD keys is not illegal and shouldn't be considered immediately dubious - no moreso than selling your stuff on ebay, at any rate. Regardless of what the truth is behind this, I wouldn't pin the blame on customers for having faith in the site, and nor should Ubisoft.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

You risk stuff like that happening when you don't buy from a reputable retailer.

SpicaAntares

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 SpicaAntares

@Nick3306 said:

@jimmyjammer69 said:

Ubisoft Has already stated that the keys were fraudulent. I am not going to feel sorry for a bunch of people who bought keys from a fishy site and got burned.

Well if Ubisoft said the keys were fraudulent then they must be fraudulent... That's how you think? If some publisher says something that must be it? BTW, what type of consumer are you? the type that buys what you're told to buy, to whom and at what price? The type that pays full-price because its so great to do so, or something? Or maybe the type who uses piracy to the max and says: the hell with those who pay for anything?

As I said before the keys bought were legit keys and recognized as such by Ubisoft servers. Some people had them for weeks, others months.

As for customer service: nobody received any explanation about the reasons for the banishing of those keys but, interesting enough, everyone one got replies by G2A, Kinguin and CJS, who tried to help solved the problem with their customers and, in some cases, reimbursed them promptly.

As for the relationship between Ubisoft and those "shady" reseller, as you call them, you should read this:

http://savygamer.co.uk/2015/01/26/heres-why-ubisoft-are-dummies-and-hypocrites-for-revoking-uplay-keys-bought-from-unauthorised-distributors/

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Toxic-Seahorse

@SpicaAntares said:

@Nick3306 said:

@jimmyjammer69 said:

Well if Ubisoft said the keys were fraudulent then they must be fraudulent... That's how you think? If some publisher says something that must be it? BTW, what type of consumer are you? the type that buys what you're told to buy, to whom and at what price? The type that pays full-price because its so great to do so, or something? Or maybe the type who uses piracy to the max and says: the hell with those who pay for anything?

As I said before the keys bought were legit keys and recognized as such by Ubisoft servers. Some people had them for weeks, others months.

As for customer service: nobody received any explanation about the reasons for the banishing of those keys but, interesting enough, everyone one got replies by G2A, Kinguin and CJS, who tried to help solved the problem with their customers and, in some cases, reimbursed them promptly.

As for the relationship between Ubisoft and those "shady" reseller, as you call them, you should read this:

http://savygamer.co.uk/2015/01/26/heres-why-ubisoft-are-dummies-and-hypocrites-for-revoking-uplay-keys-bought-from-unauthorised-distributors/

That article doesn't really help your case. Even the person that wrote it says that they have every right to revoke the keys sold by unauthorized sellers. Yes, it was a shitty move, and Ubisoft is known to be a pretty shitty publisher, but the move was not illegal. You're trying to act like Ubisoft did something illegal and they did not. You just sound like someone who is angry because they gambled by buying a key from an unauthorized seller and it backfired.

Avatar image for PfizersaurusRex
PfizersaurusRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By PfizersaurusRex
Member since 2012 • 1503 Posts

@Toxic-Seahorse said:

@PfizersaurusRex said:

I have a hard time believing Ubisoft sold them keys and then banned the keys. The reason being that they already got their money for the keys, what would be the point? I'd also like to point out that if Ubisoft directly sold them the keys and then banned them all, that would be highly illegal in pretty much every country. Ubosift wouldn't be that stupid, they pay people to make sure things like that don't happen. The fact that this is even a discussion about the banned keys and not a lawsuit again Ubisoft pretty much proves that Ubisoft didn't directly sell them the keys.

I'm rather interested in exactly how the sites got these keys.

I didn't notice anything on that forum about banning keys, it's just 1 key from that guy. Ubisoft certainly has no reason to screw over a retailer, and so blatantly, that would indeed be stupid. I'm saying they work together, secretly, with mutual interest. It makes sense. The retailers have zero responsability and they make money, the publishers also make money (as much as they can from low income people). And buyers are also doing pretty good, as long as you look at it as a gamble, and it is a gamble.

Edited after I read some more. But I still see no better explanation than what I gave.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

Its grey-market keys, Ubishit are dicks.

Nick3306

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Nick3306
Member since 2007 • 3429 Posts

@SpicaAntares said:

@Nick3306 said:

@jimmyjammer69 said:

Lmao. I am the type of consumer who recognizes when a site is fishy. I assume you are the type of consumer who buys their products off a truck in a back alley and just tells himself that the seller is legit over and over trying to trick yourself into believing it.

They were legit keys, how they were attained was not. Your article doesn't help your point at all as the only link for the relationship between them is a youtuber (lol great evidence)

SpicaAntares

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 SpicaAntares

@Toxic-Seahorse said:

@SpicaAntares said:

@Nick3306 said:

@jimmyjammer69 said:

That article doesn't really help your case. Even the person that wrote it says that they have every right to revoke the keys sold by unauthorized sellers. Yes, it was a shitty move, and Ubisoft is known to be a pretty shitty publisher, but the move was not illegal. You're trying to act like Ubisoft did something illegal and they did not. You just sound like someone who is angry because they gambled by buying a key from an unauthorized seller and it backfired.

Who knows what rights or not they have? A jugment in Europe, about 2 years ago, said any consumer had the right to resell any game he bought, that once the first sell was done the publishers lost any rights they had on the product.Tell me is any such law respected in your corner of the earth? Have you seen any such law respected by anyone in Europe?

Those arrogant companies think they own the world. One morning one of those suit could well wake up and decide any games sold before 8:00 AM or after 4:00 PM is unauthorized. "Let's go ahead and revoke every keys sold outside those hours! Haven't they read the EULA? 1st rule: whatever we say goes, everything else doesn't."

I'm not angry because I gamble on buying a game cheaper than the $70 Steam is now asking for Far Cry 4. I'm angry, like many of us are, because I bothered paying lots more than I usually pay for any games, thinking Ubisoft maybe deserved my respect by creating Far Cry 3, a game I'm still playing now and will be finishing shortly. I'm angry because many years ago I stopped pirating games (although I usually bought those I thought deserved it). I'm angry because I encourage friends to buy their games, to buy them cheaper if needed but to buy them. Do you understand?

Let me put a few things straight: from now on Ubisoft can kiss my .... goodbye for The Division, the next Rainbow Six, the next Splinter Cell, the next you name it, and don't think for a minute I won't play any of these games! It make me sick just thinking of the number of games I bought from Ubisoft, including all the AC, plus Watch Dogs I bought before Christmas for my girlfriend. If I could take all of these games back to the store and get reimbursed I would gladly do it in a instant. I'm not spending a single dime any more on any Ubisoft products, not even a single dime found by chance, walking on the street!

Unauthorized seller? why should we, for the sake of it, accept that anyone dictate from whom we buy anything? Because some suit decided we should only buy from local thieves? (sorry, I meant business partner). We buy stuff where it is best for us consumer, nowhere else. Ubisoft thinks it can push the herd toward higher-priced local thieves (sorry, business partner). Well the only place I see the herd going is toward no-price, free-to-play, free-to-share, free-to-lend, games ;-))

Here Ubi, kiss this!

SpicaAntares

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 SpicaAntares

@Nick3306: "Lmao. I am the type of consumer who recognizes when a site is fishy. I assume you are the type of consumer who buys their products off a truck in a back alley and just tells himself that the seller is legit over and over trying to trick yourself into believing it."

I'm the type of consumer who thought it showed respect to buy the games he's playing, but to buy them at a proper price (considering you "don't own them", don't get any box, disc, manual, considering you can't install them on the wife or the kid's computer, considering you can't lend them to friends who can't lend theirs to you, that you need to be online to have the serial number checked, that you need to be online to have it rechecked everytime you play it so on...). All things that makes a game, any games, worth much less in my eyes than it did before.

I thought, considering all that, that no games deserved to be paid more than anyone else is paying in east asia, and even then I thought they paid too much but what the heck?

At least I paid for them but from now on count me out on that one...

Doozie78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#24  Edited By Doozie78
Member since 2014 • 1123 Posts

Oh ubisoft, you're the poster child for shitty corporations. You go girl!

I'm just going to sit over here in the "I don't buy games from dickheads like ubishaft" crowd. I could not give a rats ass what ubisoft thinks about my purchasing choices. I'm not going to pay their ripoff prices for any of their games. I'll buy them dirt cheap like they should be priced.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

You get what you pay for.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

@rgrambo said:

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1001533-Concerning-Far-Cry-4-removal-from-our-libraries-Open-letter-Forums?s=492219db2a8bd9d6a6dee6196dda548a

What are your thoughts on this?

Not much. I play Ubisoft games via Uplay.

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Renevent42
Member since 2010 • 6654 Posts

And the plot thickens...

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/01/28/ubisoft-key-resellers-stolen-cards/

Fairly reasonable if you ask me.

Arthas045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Arthas045
Member since 2005 • 5800 Posts

The gamespot articles states that G2A will refund your money if you were taken down... I know they at least have an image to uphold. A lot of sponsoring is done by them through Twitch.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#30 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

I lost my copy of Far Cry 4, which I bought from a highly ranked re-seller which I've also used on numerous occasions with absolutely no problems. I was pissed that the game was just gone, nothing I could do about it and no response from Ubisoft support (not a massive surprise).

However while doing a spot of maintenance tonight, on my PC. I noticed Far Cry4 in the installed programme list and thought, huh! So I fired up Uplay and there's Far Cry 4 staring me in the face, I haven't even lost any progress.

Not sure what's going on with this now but I must admit I'm a bit concerned about Ubisoft seemingly have enough control over my PC to uninstall or disable a game to then re-install or enable it again without me ever launching Uplay.

superclocked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 superclocked
Member since 2009 • 5864 Posts
People should get mad at the asshats that sold them fraudulent keys, not Ubisoft...
Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Ribstaylor1
Member since 2014 • 2186 Posts

Shady tactics. **** over legitimate consumers, without ever even attempting to inform your market that there are restrictions on where you can purchase their games "legitimate". I bet a lawsuit comes of this, as I can't see everyone just taking this in the ass sitting down.

Uplay. A service I'm so not going to be using anytime soon.

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Ribstaylor1
Member since 2014 • 2186 Posts

Shady tactics. **** over legitimate consumers, without ever even attempting to inform your sales market that their are restrictions on where you can purchase their games. I bet a lawsuit comes of this, as I can't see everyone just taking this in the ass sitting down.

@GarGx1: Ya all major services have that ability. I had to reinstall bf4 and all it's DLC when I tried to update the game and it's dumb browser plugin, as the service decided I didn't need to have it or the game on my pc anymore. Why? Who the **** knows, the game it's files just up and vanished when updating. Didn't touch the game for months after, went back a year later almost, and guess what a game that seems in a finished state! A lot too late though. It's too bad the hardcore community has dropped substantially as I can't stand the normal version of the game. What a fucking waste of cash that $120 was.

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Toxic-Seahorse
@GarGx1 said:

I lost my copy of Far Cry 4, which I bought from a highly ranked re-seller which I've also used on numerous occasions with absolutely no problems. I was pissed that the game was just gone, nothing I could do about it and no response from Ubisoft support (not a massive surprise).

However while doing a spot of maintenance tonight, on my PC. I noticed Far Cry4 in the installed programme list and thought, huh! So I fired up Uplay and there's Far Cry 4 staring me in the face, I haven't even lost any progress.

Not sure what's going on with this now but I must admit I'm a bit concerned about Ubisoft seemingly have enough control over my PC to uninstall or disable a game to then re-install or enable it again without me ever launching Uplay.

Ubisoft can't uninstall or install anything on your PC without your knowledge. Far Cry 4 was always on your PC, they just disabled your ability to play it by deactivating your key. The game has to check through Uplay in order for you to play the game. When the game disappeared from your Uplay, it was still installed in your PC.

superclocked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By superclocked
Member since 2009 • 5864 Posts
@ribstaylor1: The keys that got banned were originally bought using stolen credit cards. There's a reason that G2A tries to sell you insurance on keys that you buy through them...
jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

@superclocked said:
@ribstaylor1: The keys that got banned were originally bought using stolen credit cards. There's a reason that G2A tries to sell you insurance on keys that you buy through them...

Who used the stolen credit cards though? Was it G2A itself or customers who bought from G2A? If it's the latter, then it's a red flag for those whose keys got deactivated.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#37  Edited By Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

This was totally taken out of context. If they are illegal cd keys, then they are illegal cd keys. Stolen, resale, whatever it may be that makes them illegal. There are legit cd keys out there that are being sold to customers, and those are absolutely fine.

This is a specific case. Alarmist crap.

I personally do not trust G2A, but Kinguin is actually a good website. It must be seller specific. And the manager for Kinguin will need to sort that out quickly.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#39  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17803 Posts

@JigglyWiggly_ said:
@Toxic-Seahorse said:

This. You can't blame the customer for buying the key. If the key is not legit, it should not activate. It is up to Ubisoft to take care of that part. Once it is activated, it should not be taken away from the customer.

Edit: didn't realize it was a necro thread. LOL

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#40 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

Closing old thread