Tv as second monitor ?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by nooblet69 (5162 posts) -

I just bought a hdmi to hdmi mini cable and am going to try and hook up my computer to my tv. I wanted to sell my xbox and get rid of the xbox live subscription to save some money since I only really use it for netflix now. My tv is only a 37" 720p though and has a scratch on the screen so I was thinking of getting a new tv. Is it easy to switch between my computer monitor and the tv for watching movies and possible gaming a little bit on the tv ? Also can anyone reccomend a good 1080p tv around the 500 dollar range that is about 40 inches ? Thanks for any help with this.

#2 Posted by Mozelleple112 (6669 posts) -

I just bought a hdmi to hdmi mini cable and am going to try and hook up my computer to my tv. I wanted to sell my xbox and get rid of the xbox live subscription to save some money since I only really use it for netflix now. My tv is only a 37" 720p though and has a scratch on the screen so I was thinking of getting a new tv. Is it easy to switch between my computer monitor and the tv for watching movies and possible gaming a little bit on the tv ? Also can anyone reccomend a good 1080p tv around the 500 dollar range that is about 40 inches ? Thanks for any help with this.

nooblet69

There are no good 1080p TVs in the 500 dollar range Ther are a few gems that are HD-ready so around 720p resolution.. like the Samsung PNE450 plasma.. I'd rather recommend spending that money on a good quality 24 or even 27" IPS monitor, the bare minimum 1080p TV picture quality I'd recommend is the UT50, and the smallest it gets is 42" which is more than 500 dollars

#3 Posted by nooblet69 (5162 posts) -

[QUOTE="nooblet69"]

Mozelleple112

There are no good 1080p TVs in the 500 dollar range Ther are a few gems that are HD-ready so around 720p resolution.. like the Samsung PNE450 plasma.. I'd rather recommend spending that money on a good quality 24 or even 27" IPS monitor, the bare minimum 1080p TV picture quality I'd recommend is the UT50, and the smallest it gets is 42" which is more than 500 dollars

I have a very nice 24 inch computer monitor. If I upped my price range to 1000 bucks would that help ? Any suggestions in that range ?

Also was thinking something like this as a second monitor ?http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889253293

#4 Posted by Bikouchu35 (7451 posts) -

Yes, you can game on monitor while someone watches netflix on the tv through the computer at the same time.

Im still pretty content with a I guess "small" 40 inch samsung for 500 2years ago. I mean it looks pretty beautiful to me as long as there isn't some fancy high end plasma or led next to it to compare.

#5 Posted by Mozelleple112 (6669 posts) -

[QUOTE="Mozelleple112"]

[QUOTE="nooblet69"]

nooblet69

I have a very nice 24 inch computer monitor. If I upped my price range to 1000 bucks would that help ? Any suggestions in that range ?

Also was thinking something like this as a second monitor ?http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889253293

yes that would help you greatly! Unfortunately if the US doesn't have the 42" ST50 like Europe does so I think the smallest you can get in the States is the 50" ST50? It costs around the ~ $1000 mark for a 50", but BELIEVE ME it is a HUGE step up from the 500 dollar range TVs. the ST50 is in fact, rated by pretty much any professional and non professional reviewer as the best bang for buck value TV of 2012, and that can factually be backed up by its test results. Which are second only to a couple of Panasonic plasmas costing more!
#6 Posted by kraken2109 (13069 posts) -
[QUOTE="nooblet69"]

[QUOTE="Mozelleple112"] There are no good 1080p TVs in the 500 dollar range Ther are a few gems that are HD-ready so around 720p resolution.. like the Samsung PNE450 plasma.. I'd rather recommend spending that money on a good quality 24 or even 27" IPS monitor, the bare minimum 1080p TV picture quality I'd recommend is the UT50, and the smallest it gets is 42" which is more than 500 dollars

Mozelleple112

yes that would help you greatly! Unfortunately if the US doesn't have the 42" ST50 like Europe does so I think the smallest you can get in the States is the 50" ST50? It costs around the ~ $1000 mark for a 50", but BELIEVE ME it is a HUGE step up from the 500 dollar range TVs. the ST50 is in fact, rated by pretty much any professional and non professional reviewer as the best bang for buck value TV of 2012, and that can factually be backed up by its test results. Which are second only to a couple of Panasonic plasmas costing more!

Are plasmas a good idea for computer use? I know burn in isn't nearly as bad as it used to be, but a computer is just about the easiest way to get burn in I can think of.
#7 Posted by Mozelleple112 (6669 posts) -
Plenty of people use plasmas for PC usage. Nvidiati has at least claimed using his Pioneer Kuro for PC gaming, and if I'm not mistaken, Oldskooler has a 42" UT50 for PC usage as well. Burn in can happen though, but isn't this just going to be the secondary monitor? If burn-in is a concern for TC, I'm recommend those Samsung LCDs from 2010.. Back in the days when Samsung actually cared about picture quality and produced amazing value LCD screens in the 32-40" screen size.. like the LN32C530 or LN40C580
[QUOTE="Mozelleple112"][QUOTE="nooblet69"] I have a very nice 24 inch computer monitor. If I upped my price range to 1000 bucks would that help ? Any suggestions in that range ?

kraken2109

Are plasmas a good idea for computer use? I know burn in isn't nearly as bad as it used to be, but a computer is just about the easiest way to get burn in I can think of.

#8 Posted by Byshop (11599 posts) -

Mozelleple112

The Samsung UN40EH5000 is a 40" 1080p LCD set for the $500 range. You won't find a top of the line 120hz 3D set in that price range but there are plenty of good TVs avaialble.

Quick question to the OP: Are you planning on watching Netflix or videos on the TV at the same time as playing games? If so there are some additional considerations and caveats.

-Byshop

#9 Posted by XaosII (16610 posts) -

I dont think audio can be split to each monitor, can it?

#10 Posted by Byshop (11599 posts) -

I dont think audio can be split to each monitor, can it?

XaosII

It's possible but it depends on the apps involved. That's one of the reasons I was asking about simultaneous use.

-Byshop