Trying To Run 1995 Game on New PC

This topic is locked from further discussion.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#1 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

I have a very old PC/Macintosh game called "The Great Green Mouse Disaster" I'm trying to figure out a way to run it with windows 8.1.

Looking at the CD itself, the game worked on both Macintosh system 7 and Windows 3.1, when I try to run it on windows 8.1 you get the extremely helpful and descriptive message saying " This app cant run on your PC" yeah I can see that microsoft thanks.

I have tried Windows recommended compatibility settings, and tried each operating systems settings too, no joy so I'm assuming I have to do something more than just fiddle with compatibility settings.

Anyone got any ideas ?

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

The disc is a hybrid CD. But, it's probably more of a Mac game than a Windows game. You're better off running it on a Mac. That said, you may need to emulate a 68k Mac.

I have Close Combat 2: A Bridge Too Far which is also a hybrid Windows/Mac CD. But, it's much better off running natively in Windows...and it does install and run natively on the newer Windows versions. I had it running in Win 8.1 for a time.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 thehig1

@jun_aka_pekto said:

The disc is a hybrid CD. But, it's probably more of a Mac game than a Windows game. You're better off running it on a Mac. That said, you may need to emulate a 68k Mac.

I have Close Combat 2: A Bridge Too Far which is also a hybrid Windows/Mac CD. But, it's much better off running natively in Windows...and it does install and run natively on the newer Windows versions. I had it running in Win 8.1 for a time.

I dont have a MAC and its not worth tracking one down for this game, I'll look into emulating to see what can be achieved down that route

Old_Gooseberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#4  Edited By Old_Gooseberry
Member since 2002 • 3958 Posts

i've run Windows 3.1 in the doxbox emulator before, but never tried to run any games in it from there. So i'm not sure how if they'd even work in it. If there was a purely windows 3.1 emulator that'd probably be best but i have no idea if there is one.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By jun_aka_pekto

@Old_Gooseberry said:

i've run Windows 3.1 in the doxbox emulator before, but never tried to run any games in it from there. So i'm not sure how if they'd even work in it. If there was a purely windows 3.1 emulator that'd probably be best but i have no idea if there is one.

There's very few Win 3.1-only games because Win 3.1 was more like a graphical overlay on top of MS-DOS. As a rule, PC games that ran fine on Win 3.1 also ran fine on MS-DOS.

The problem is the game in question was also a Mac game and not developed like most PC games of the era.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 thehig1

still no joy, but got side tracked with other stuff, ill have a go with emulators and post results.

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#7  Edited By skipper847
Member since 2006 • 7334 Posts

God help windows 10 even with windows 7 games. :P

Realmjumper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8 Realmjumper
Member since 2007 • 840 Posts

The difficulty of this task is the equivalent of try to push your car from Miami to Jacksonville. (In the state of Florida, while the car is in neutral)

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 jun_aka_pekto

@Realmjumper said:

The difficulty of this task is the equivalent of try to push your car from Miami to Jacksonville. (In the state of Florida, while the car is in neutral)

It's not hard to get running via virtualization provided you have all the pieces.