Transitioning from Mid Tower To Full Tower. Any Suggestions?

#1 Edited by Daious (1114 posts) -

I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for full towers? I am thinking about making the move because I feel like my current set up is pretty dense.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Edit: My current set up is 780tix2 and Seidon XL cooler plus hard drives. Its pretty packed atm.

#2 Posted by SerOlmy (1646 posts) -

NZXT Phantom is what I use and I really like it. Modular internal HD bays, lots of space, lots of fan slots 2x 200mm top, 350mm side, loads of 160s as well. Good cable management too. Plus it comes in a variety of color schemes. Great case IMO.

#3 Posted by topgunmv (10170 posts) -

It really depends on what you're looking for in terms of cosmetics, cooling, and portability.

Most cases on newegg will have a video showing off all their features on the product page.

#4 Edited by 04dcarraher (19228 posts) -

Rosewill Thor v2 is a good choice

#5 Edited by Daious (1114 posts) -

@04dcarraher said:

Yeah. It looks like a very good case. Space is great.

I know Newegg is running a 10% off sale. Plus if I spend I think 150 at Newegg, I get money back from American Express. I am pretty torn for some others at the 150 price range because it would be knocked down 30+ dollars.

#6 Edited by 04dcarraher (19228 posts) -

@daious said:

@04dcarraher said:

I know Newegg is running a 10% off sale. Plus if I spend I think 150 at Newegg, I get money back from American Express. I am pretty torn for some others at the 150 price range because it would be knocked down 30+ dollars.

HAF 932 or X are good choices too, Ive been using HAF 932 for 6 years and have no plans in changing the case until ATX becomes obsolete

#7 Posted by IvanElk (3798 posts) -

I also vote for the phantom for a full tower.

#8 Posted by Postmortem123 (7640 posts) -

@daious said:

@04dcarraher said:

HAF 932 or X are good choices too, Ive been using HAF 932 for 6 years and have no plans in changing the case until ATX becomes obsolete

Yea the 932 Advanced is a nice case, had mine for 3 years. The only thing I dislike is the tool-less expansion slots, but it's easy enough to take out.

#9 Edited by Postmortem123 (7640 posts) -

The NZXT Phantom 820 looks really nice, though I'm not sure if your budget stretches that high.

#10 Edited by fitnessfun (7 posts) -

Cooler Master HAF X is a full tower computer case with USB 3.0 ports. It looks pretty sweet, too. If you're wanting other suggestions this site has a lot: Click here

#11 Posted by fitnessfun (7 posts) -

Check out this site for lots of suggestions http://www.squidoo.com/best-pc-cases

#12 Posted by IvanElk (3798 posts) -

The NZXT Phantom 820 looks really nice, though I'm not sure if your budget stretches that high.

Regular phantom is perfectly fine and great for the money

#13 Posted by PredatorRules (7369 posts) -

@daious said:

I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for full towers? I am thinking about making the move because I feel like my current set up is pretty dense.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Edit: My current set up is 780tix2 and Seidon XL cooler plus hard drives. Its pretty packed atm.

Corsair Obsidian 750D, but seriously having 2 GPUs is fine with a mid tower case, just get a proper case cooling and a good case such as the 400R or 500R

#14 Edited by Old_Gooseberry (3473 posts) -

@Postmortem123 said:

@04dcarraher said:

@daious said:

@04dcarraher said:

Yea the 932 Advanced is a nice case, had mine for 3 years. The only thing I dislike is the tool-less expansion slots, but it's easy enough to take out.

Same here, i have the 932 also, awesome looking case, very very solid and heavy also... even with no computer parts in it, the thing is heavy. Huge area for the side fan to cool the motherboard. I had to cut the top of the mesh metal at the top of the case to help fit my H110 water cooling radiator. Not sure if anyone else had this problem or not... im sure it wasn't really made for a radiator at the time but after cutting it, it actually fit in there decently.

So I wouldn't really suggest a 932 if your ever going to get a double radiator cooler like the H110, because you will have a bit of trouble mounting it to the top of case without some modification. But if your not worried about that, the 932 is great. Its probably a good antitheft case for your pc cause a thug would only be able to carry it a short distance without some serious permanent back injury.

#15 Edited by Qixote (10679 posts) -

I just built another new midtower system. Actually, after this last one, I am starting to think cases are too big, and would never go to a full tower. No need for just a basic pc gaming system, I am not running a server that is running the whole world. Mid towers are plenty and are also a bit too much extra space. Why the heck do we need all these drive cages that everyone seldom uses no more than one drive bay or two? Yet it is considered a feature if your case can hold 20 drives. Really? PC case designs have practically gone nowhere in the past 20 years. It's time for that to change. Bigger is not always better, and usually just a waste. Micro cases are not really an option, because the selection is piss poor.

#16 Edited by 04dcarraher (19228 posts) -

@Old_Gooseberry said:

@Postmortem123 said:

@04dcarraher said:

@daious said:

@04dcarraher said:

Same here, i have the 932 also, awesome looking case, very very solid and heavy also... even with no computer parts in it, the thing is heavy. Huge area for the side fan to cool the motherboard. I had to cut the top of the mesh metal at the top of the case to help fit my H110 water cooling radiator. Not sure if anyone else had this problem or not... im sure it wasn't really made for a radiator at the time but after cutting it, it actually fit in there decently.

The newer 932's dont have that issue

#17 Edited by Old_Gooseberry (3473 posts) -

^ umm this is nice to know. I got my 932 in early 2011. But if i get another pc this or next year i will probably need another case so i'll just get the same one again for sure.

#18 Posted by 04dcarraher (19228 posts) -

^ umm this is nice to know. I got my 932 in early 2011. But if i get another pc this or next year i will probably need another case so i'll just get the same one again for sure.

Yeah I know the HAF X supports the 280mm rads , The 932 I seen was jerry rigged with slim zipties with 120mm fans

#19 Posted by Klunt_Bumskrint (3641 posts) -

I do love my 932 Advanced as a lot of even the most expensive cases are crappy plastic where mine is STEEL! The tool less design is fine it's just on some of them the rivets get in the way. I love it though, the only thing I feel I could "upgrade" to is the Thermaltake Level 10 GT. That thing is sex.

#20 Edited by edinsftw (4230 posts) -

I have the cosmos 2, i would say its more for professional use than just gaming because it has 15 HD bays, two front panel removeable HD slots. Honestly this thing has excess room and im running raid 50 with 8 drives along with crossfire, a sound card, and a raid card . It also has mounts for like 10 fans(i dont even use them all). The circulation is so good that I can run my first generation i7 at 4.1 ghz with no problem on a stock cooler...

#21 Edited by Daious (1114 posts) -

Alright. I finally made my decisions

I got the Corsair Obsidian 750d Full tower. It is 80 dollars after rebates on Tigerdirect. I got an extra 15% cashback thru discover so it will end up being $57.50. I appreciate everyone's feedback and I will make sure to post pictures of my new build in the future.

Any thoughts or objections?

#22 Posted by The_Animator420 (227 posts) -

@daious said:

Alright. I finally made my decisions

I got the Corsair Obsidian 750d Full tower. It is 80 dollars after rebates on Tigerdirect. I got an extra 15% cashback thru discover so it will end up being $57.50. I appreciate everyone's feedback and I will make sure to post pictures of my new build in the future.

Any thoughts or objections?

Nice choice! That's a great case. I'm sure you will be happy with it.

One thing, I personally find the corsair fans to be too loud, so you might want to look into replacing the fans. You can get fans that perform better, are more silent, and even match your build color. Some people don't mind at all though, so just listen to them and decide for yourself.

#23 Edited by kraken2109 (13005 posts) -

You got a great deal, the 750d is £120 in the UK :(

#24 Posted by GoldenElementXL (2762 posts) -

I'm moving to a new case as we speak. I went with the Corsair 760T. I really like it. I needed more room for the Titan Blacks to breath.

#25 Edited by superclocked (5823 posts) -

I've been using the Thor V2 for a couple of years. I love it...

#26 Edited by GoldenElementXL (2762 posts) -

Just finished and everything works!!!! I just have to fix the LED brightness on the Titans and clean up some cables.

Good luck with yours TC!