Tranfering windows from 1 drive to another

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by sandeep410 (1177 posts) -

I wana transfer my entire windows that is C: drive from one hard drive to another. My C drive hard disk is 150GB and its full. I am thinking of buying new 1TB hard disk.Anyway to transfer entire windows from 1 drive to another without loosing anything. I am using windows 7.

#2 Posted by JohnF111 (14098 posts) -

Create a Windows image, there's a utility in Control Panel > System and Security > Backup and Restore, that can do it for you. Works a treat.

This way you don't need to download or buy or install anything but you will need the Windows DVD. Once you have the image simply boot up the disk and use the disk to restore the image onto your new hard drive.

#3 Posted by sandeep410 (1177 posts) -
Ok heres what i should do. Create a image in my 1TB hard disk. Then boot windows and go and restore the image in my 1TB hard disk. I have few questions. Will everything in my C: drive get transferred to my new drive,i mean not just my system files but all files. Will my new Hard disk have the same name ie C: Will all the programs that i have installed in my other drive work How much time does it take to backup 150gb
#4 Posted by JohnF111 (14098 posts) -
Yes everything will go even files, yes C will be just the same, if you other drive has program's that rely on other program's in C then yes they'll work. It should take a fair bit of time to create the image and restore it but its the best way to do everything you want to do. Took me maybe an hour and a half to make mine but I was using a slow network drive to store the image so it was always going to take longer than using a local drive. When you say you have program's on your other drive, do you have enough space on it to store a 150gb image? If so then store it there instead of storing it onto the new drive, that way you aren't restoring to a drive you have an image on.
#5 Posted by FelipeInside (25850 posts) -
Use EASUS ToDo Backup if you want. It's free and it even resizes the image to the new Hard Drive's Size.
#6 Posted by kraken2109 (13125 posts) -

Clonezilla and paragon will do it too

#7 Posted by sandeep410 (1177 posts) -
[QUOTE="JohnF111"]Yes everything will go even files, yes C will be just the same, if you other drive has program's that rely on other program's in C then yes they'll work. It should take a fair bit of time to create the image and restore it but its the best way to do everything you want to do. Took me maybe an hour and a half to make mine but I was using a slow network drive to store the image so it was always going to take longer than using a local drive. When you say you have program's on your other drive, do you have enough space on it to store a 150gb image? If so then store it there instead of storing it onto the new drive, that way you aren't restoring to a drive you have an image on.

I cannot restore the image from same hard drive with this method.I dont have enough space in any other harddisk too