Trackball mouse for gaming.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by jayjayman (180 posts) -

Are trackball mouses good for gaming such as playing counter strike and starcraft? I heard its takes alot of time to get used to them but after that are they much better than gaming mice such as G5 logitech?

#2 Posted by Kiwi_1 (2963 posts) -

It takes no time at all to become accustomed to them. What takes a slight bit of time is developing accuracy, but even that is no big deal. Overall, you can play longer, with less potential of loss from carpal tunnel disorders, which can be a serious threat to a dedicated PC game player.

P.S. My favorite is the Logitech Marble Mouse.

#3 Posted by elyrain (40 posts) -
I use a logitech trackman marble and I love it.
#4 Posted by H0RSE (1632 posts) -
It seems like everyone either uses a logitech or a microsoft trackball. I use a Kensington Expert Mouse (it's a trackball with mouse in the name...) and I find it better than anything logitech or microsoft have to offer.
#5 Posted by muirplayer (406 posts) -
I've never seen anyone game with a trackball mouse.
#6 Posted by Swiftstrike5 (6950 posts) -

I've never seen anyone game with a trackball mouse.muirplayer

Same.

#7 Posted by luamhtrad (1997 posts) -

It takes no time at all to become accustomed to them. What takes a slight bit of time is developing accuracy, but even that is no big deal. Overall, you can play longer, with less potential of loss from carpal tunnel disorders, which can be a serious threat to a dedicated PC game player.

P.S. My favorite is the Logitech Marble Mouse.

Kiwi_1

A large amount of multi-axis trackball use puts you at a higher risk for repetitive stress disorder of the thumb a la "Blackberry Thumb". There has been a 500% jump in thumb surgeries in the last 5 years because of an increased use of thumb dependent devices. I would rather good wrist and elbow support on a traditional mouse than risk some kind of digit injury. Without thumbs we are just hairless dogs anyway.

#8 Posted by H0RSE (1632 posts) -

A large amount of multi-axis trackball use puts you at a higher risk for repetitive stress disorder of the thumb a la "Blackberry Thumb". There has been a 500% jump in thumb surgeries in the last 5 years because of an increased use of thumb dependent devices. I would rather good wrist and elbow support on a traditional mouse than risk some kind of digit injury. Without thumbs we are just hairless dogs anyway.

luamhtrad

guess it's good that i use my fingers to move mine... I only use my thumb for clicking.

#9 Posted by HavocEbonlore (483 posts) -
I found trackball to be very inferior. Tracking sucks, also grease on the ball and dirt on the inside creates varying levels of sensitivity and friction. Good luck with that sensitivity guessing-game it comes down to the wire.
#10 Posted by H0RSE (1632 posts) -

I found trackball to be very inferior. Tracking sucks, also grease on the ball and dirt on the inside creates varying levels of sensitivity and friction. Good luck with that sensitivity guessing-game it comes down to the wire.HavocEbonlore

don't listen to this guy, he has no idea what he is talking about. Perhaps on older trackballs, "dirt inside the ball" would matter, because they used wheels to move the ball...but so did older mice. But now trackballs use lasers...and so do mice. Trackballs are just as efficient as mice. Anyone who says otherwise is just a fanboy.

#11 Posted by HavocEbonlore (483 posts) -

[QUOTE="HavocEbonlore"]I found trackball to be very inferior. Tracking sucks, also grease on the ball and dirt on the inside creates varying levels of sensitivity and friction. Good luck with that sensitivity guessing-game it comes down to the wire.H0RSE

don't listen to this guy, he has no idea what he is talking about. Perhaps on older trackballs, "dirt inside the ball" would matter, because they used wheels to move the ball...but so did older mice. But now trackballs use lasers...and so do mice. Trackballs are just as efficient as mice. Anyone who says otherwise is just a fanboy.

Dirt and grease still affects any trackball's ability to perform, laser or not. OMG, wait guys, I gotta clean my trackball -gets sniped by guy with a mouse, PWNED!!!-. Nothing beats the smooth glide of a laser mouse and a quality mousepad. Post a link to these mythical laser trackball mice you speak of, because I couldn't find any. Silly stupid horse, send your ass to the glue factory, lulz.

#12 Posted by GuitarFreak2 (670 posts) -

[QUOTE="HavocEbonlore"]I found trackball to be very inferior. Tracking sucks, also grease on the ball and dirt on the inside creates varying levels of sensitivity and friction. Good luck with that sensitivity guessing-game it comes down to the wire.H0RSE

Fanboy? LOL!

Anyway, I hate trackballs. My G5 works great and I'll be sticking with it until it breaks.

#13 Posted by JosamaBinEating (248 posts) -
I use a Logitech Trackball for gaming and all other purposes. I also have a G9 that I break out for extreme speed and precision. The Trackball is the most comfortable for me though.
#14 Posted by WDT-BlackKat (1779 posts) -
Seems to me I can only think of a handful of games trackballs would be useful for. Missile Command for one. Oh, and Centipede.
#15 Posted by luamhtrad (1997 posts) -

Seems to me I can only think of a handful of games trackballs would be useful for. Missile Command for one. Oh, and Centipede.WDT-BlackKat

:lol: Don't forget AMF Bowling!!

#16 Posted by HuusAsking (15270 posts) -

I can speak from experience. Even the most sophisticated trackballs require physical bearings of some sort to keep the ball running smoothly in its socket. These bearings can accumulate dust and other debris and eventually seize. It has proven the bane of many a Microsoft trackball (optical or not). That's why most gamers use high-end optical and laser mice. With them, the bottom has no moving parts to interfere with delicate movement. Now, the wheels and buttons are another matter, but that's just the nature of the beast.
#17 Posted by R1J1D (1 posts) -

I can speak from experience. Even the most sophisticated trackballs require physical bearings of some sort to keep the ball running smoothly in its socket. These bearings can accumulate dust and other debris and eventually seize. It has proven the bane of many a Microsoft trackball (optical or not). That's why most gamers use high-end optical and laser mice. With them, the bottom has no moving parts to interfere with delicate movement. Now, the wheels and buttons are another matter, but that's just the nature of the beast.

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/mice_pointers/trackballs/&cl=us,en

you know from experience huh? I have used the marble for over 6 years and the cordless trackman optical for like 3 years. from quake counterstrike to battlefield I have used a trackball. there are no moving parts in either of those models so I dunno WTF you are talking about.-bearings and $h1t this is not a skateboard is an effing wireless mouse that is much more accurate by using your fingertips...

#18 Posted by Daytona_178 (14962 posts) -

Just for the people who are obviosly confused,,,he is talking about this kind of trackball:

Cordless TrackMan Optical

Not this kind:

http://www.sigchi.org/chi97/proceedings/short-talk/sm2-fg3.gif

#19 Posted by HavocEbonlore (483 posts) -

Trackballs are completely horrid for gaming - they have bad tracking and sensitivity. For example, move the the cursor about 6 inches accross the screen, now put the cursor back to its original spot and do it again but faster, now do it again but slower. The cursor will be in a totally different spot on all three occassions. Now imagine that garbage going on while playing online FPS. Trackballs can also get greasy and that grease will thicken or get slick depenting on temperature, so friction between the contacts on the ball will start out as rough, but will loosen up as you play (friction = heat. Also heat from your hand). You can clean the ball, but you'd have to do it like 3 times a week to maintain any sort of sensitivity and tracking consistency, also you have to clean the contacts.

What do I base this all off of? I used one for 4 years when I was a kid. When I came of age and was able to buy things, I got a G5 and a SteelSeries 5L mousepad. After a week of adjusting to the new mouse I was doing far better than ever before. I was so happy when I finally got to kick that thing to the curb.

And yes, I've used all of these, but most of my experience lies with the Trackman.
Seriously, get a proper mouse, you'll never look back.

#20 Posted by -MrFantastic (1 posts) -

That is funny I use a Microsoft 5 button optical trackball (thumb) mouse and I destroy everyone I play on Callof Duty 4 or World at War.

#21 Posted by knut-am (1438 posts) -
i have used trackball since 1997. it is great for gaming. :)
#22 Posted by mattpunkgd (2198 posts) -
I don't know how I would play a fps with a trackball, I mean maybe for like rts's or somthing, but first person shooters? No...
#23 Posted by isuj (1 posts) -

yup, i switched to a trackman 4 years ago and i've never looked back, been decimating people and getting highest scores on half-life 2 deathmatch and battlefield 2021. these past few years have been my finest for online fragging and its all due to my trackman.

only downer is the cleaning, but hey, 5 minutes out of my day every couple of months doesn't kill me!

#24 Posted by GuitarFreak2 (670 posts) -

Holy old thread batman!

Anyway, I stand by my statement, laser>ball. Always.

#25 Posted by HawkDreams (1 posts) -

Trackball for gaming is the ONLY way to go! At least with RTS Games untilCA screwed up Stormrise!

Pros:

1)Not having to sit up straight and be a slave to the computer desk!

2)Not having your wrist feel like it is going to fall off after a few hours gaming!

3)Easy readjustment physically and mentally to using a trackball.

Cons:

1)Most companies have felt the need to move the ball to a central location on the mouse rather than the left side as in the oldLogitech and Microsoft mice.

2)Trackball Mice require maintenance! Anyone ever notice how you can order parts from Logitech?

Mice are a personal preference as far as most people are concerned. Not to mention the biggest preference being whyspend$50+ american dollars for a mouse or a keyboard when you can get a standard set with each included atWalMart for $19.99? Especially when it is what someone is used to and it has always worked fine. Years ago when Freelancer came out I had always been an optical fan, but a long road trip across the country made playing tihs way in a car on my laptop problematical so I bought a trackball. While it had a learning curve of coordination, especially using your thumb, I became rather proficient in just hours and have never used an optical since! The most obvious benefit is that I could play longer without discomfort in my wrist or cramping in my hand.

#26 Posted by NamelessPlayer (7729 posts) -
First off, are you talking about a small, thumb-operated trackball (like some older Logitech models), or a large, center-mounted trackball operated with the palm and/or fingers (most trackballs nowadays)? (My CH Products DT225 USB falls under the latter.) That said, I just use an older Logitech G5 for gaming. It fits me better, FPS-wise. However, there are some times when you just have to have a trackball-such as playing certain arcade games, or maybe mobile computers for when you don't have the space to move around a conventional mouse, don't want to futz around on the screen if it's a tablet (which it probably isn't), and hate trackpads and TrackPoints (or "eraser mice", among many other nicknames, some inappropriate for this forum; ThinkPads usually have them).
#28 Posted by UltimateGamer95 (4720 posts) -

My Trackball play after less than a week of practice, using an Kensington Expert Mouse. Nothing special, but take a look!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsI3_geXSTs

Cappy-O
Sorry but you're not supposed to resurrect old threads. You can create a new thread with a similar topic though :)
#29 Posted by somegtalover (2696 posts) -

[QUOTE="muirplayer"]I've never seen anyone game with a trackball mouse.Swiftstrike5

Same.

me either
#30 Posted by Valentino07 (1601 posts) -

Trackballs are completely horrid for gaming - they have bad tracking and sensitivity. For example, move the the cursor about 6 inches accross the screen, now put the cursor back to its original spot and do it again but faster, now do it again but slower. The cursor will be in a totally different spot on all three occassions. Now imagine that garbage going on while playing online FPS. Trackballs can also get greasy and that grease will thicken or get slick depenting on temperature, so friction between the contacts on the ball will start out as rough, but will loosen up as you play (friction = heat. Also heat from your hand). You can clean the ball, but you'd have to do it like 3 times a week to maintain any sort of sensitivity and tracking consistency, also you have to clean the contacts.

What do I base this all off of? I used one for 4 years when I was a kid. When I came of age and was able to buy things, I got a G5 and a SteelSeries 5L mousepad. After a week of adjusting to the new mouse I was doing far better than ever before. I was so happy when I finally got to kick that thing to the curb.

And yes, I've used all of these, but most of my experience lies with the Trackman.
Seriously, get a proper mouse, you'll never look back.

HavocEbonlore

Your reasoning for bashing the trackball are EPIC FAIL.