Tower turning into Sauna help

This topic is locked from further discussion.

kinghunter74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By kinghunter74
Member since 2006 • 266 Posts

Hey,

This is my current build for my desktop:

• Intel Core i5-2400 Processor
  • ASUS P8P67-LE Motherboard
  • Sapphire Dual-X R9-270 4GB (I know, i got cheated)
  • Cooler Master 550W Extreme Power Plus Power Supply

So, i was wondering whether it's the GPU or the processor that's causing all the heat during game play. A friend mentioned that i should change my processor fan from the one from the box. Will that make a lot of difference? By the way, I don't have air conditioner in my PC room, just a normal fan.

Or if the fault lies with the GPU, is there any solution?

Finally, is there any particular processor fan model that you guys would suggest?

Thanks in advance

SaintSatan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 SaintSatan
Member since 2003 • 1986 Posts

@kinghunter74 said:

Hey,

This is my current build for my desktop:

• Intel Core i5-2400 Processor
  • ASUS P8P67-LE Motherboard
  • Sapphire Dual-X R9-270 4GB (I know, i got cheated)
  • Cooler Master 550W Extreme Power Plus Power Supply

So, i was wondering whether it's the GPU or the processor that's causing all the heat during game play. A friend mentioned that i should change my processor fan from the one from the box. Will that make a lot of difference? By the way, I don't have air conditioner in my PC room, just a normal fan.

Or if the fault lies with the GPU, is there any solution?

Finally, is there any particular processor fan model that you guys would suggest?

Thanks in advance

Check your temps using speccy or some other program. Test idle temps and while gaming. Report back.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23829 Posts

yeah check your temps with something like hwmonitor, let it run play a game and remember the highest temp recorded and tell us what they are cpu, gpu and motherboard. You just may just have poor case cooling.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

Its your GPU, they get hot, try open a window or something to get rid of the hot air in your room.

kinghunter74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By kinghunter74

Not sure how to read this, so i posted the whole thing here instead.
=P

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23829 Posts

It looks like your case cooling isnt doing the job in keeping it cool inside the case. You should add more fans, or replace the fans with better ones or just buy a new case.

kinghunter74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 kinghunter74

@04dcarraher: My case only has the fan at the back, everything else rely on their own fan.

so, possible solution is to change the processor fan or get a new case? Since I'm pretty sure it's not possible to add more fan to the GPU or the case.

In that sense, would you mind giving me some pointers on any good processor fans and cases?

Thanks again

topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By topgunmv
Member since 2003 • 10880 Posts
@kinghunter74 said:

@04dcarraher: My case only has the fan at the back, everything else rely on their own fan.

so, possible solution is to change the processor fan or get a new case? Since I'm pretty sure it's not possible to add more fan to the GPU or the case.

In that sense, would you mind giving me some pointers on any good processor fans and cases?

Thanks again

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119217&cm_re=Cooler_Master_550W_Extreme-_-11-119-217-_-Product

Is this your case?

kinghunter74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 kinghunter74

@topgunmv: Nope, this is my case.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA49E1NH1616&cm_re=cooler_master_elite_310_tower-_-9SIA49E1NH1616-_-Product

topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 topgunmv
Member since 2003 • 10880 Posts

@kinghunter74 said:

@topgunmv: Nope, this is my case.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA49E1NH1616&cm_re=cooler_master_elite_310_tower-_-9SIA49E1NH1616-_-Product

According to the spec sheet on cooler master's site, you can add an additional 120mm fan in the front and the side, that would help a lot with your cooling issues.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#11  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

@kinghunter74 said:

Not sure how to read this, so i posted the whole thing here instead.

=P

I don't see anything wrong with 60C and 40C but if you're saying it's hot then yes, go ahead and buy non stock CPU cooler (I don't get why people that game still owns that crap) into 212 EVO, it's cheap and perform way better.

If you don't have AC in the room you should have picked Nvidia.

On the cheaper part, you should get good case with cable management and good airflow or if you've already this then swap your case fans into something with better performance like Noctua or Corsair.

kinghunter74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By kinghunter74

Hey guys,

So i took your advice and bought some case fans for my case.

The problem now is that the case fan that i bought, Cooler Master JetFlo, requires large screw while the front bracket for my case can only support really small screws.

Is there a workaround for this? If not, do you guys know of any fans that can by mounted using such small screws?

Thanks again

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#13  Edited By JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts

Cable ties will hold the fans in place quite well until you get some screws that fit, if you have thin cables ties they will work a treat and are currently being used on a box I sold to my mate a few years back, never had any issues and he isn't interested in replacing them with screws as its done the job well enough.

Coseniath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Coseniath
Member since 2004 • 3183 Posts

I can't see why you can't use JetFlo 120 on elite 310.

Elite 310:

Cooling Syste:

Rear: 120 x 25mm fan x 1 / 1200 RPM / 17 dBA (installed), or 80/90mm fan x 1 (optional)

Front: 120 x 25 mm fan x 1 (optional)

Side: 80/ 90/120 mm fan x 1 (optional)

JetFlo 120:

Dimensions 120 x 120 x 25 mm

You don't need large screws. Why do you think you need large screws? :O

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#15 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

@kinghunter74 said:

Hey guys,

So i took your advice and bought some case fans for my case.

The problem now is that the case fan that i bought, Cooler Master JetFlo, requires large screw while the front bracket for my case can only support really small screws.

Is there a workaround for this? If not, do you guys know of any fans that can by mounted using such small screws?

Thanks again

Use rubber band or glue it :D, on the other hand I see probably a really old case so, yeah might want to change the case, go and buy yourself NZXT 210 for 20-30$ or if you can grab any Corsair R series for the same price - even better.

Coseniath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Coseniath

OK, I found why you are confused.

This pic is from your case's manual.

You don't have to use the screws in front of the fan, just use the screws only in the place where the fan touches the case.

Then you will not have any problems. :)

kinghunter74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By kinghunter74

@Coseniath: Sorry, i think you're kinda missing the point. The problem I'm having is that the screw holes where the fan touches the case is really really small.

Smaller than the holes available for case fans in the back and side of the case, in fact. No idea why cooler master made separate size mounts for both side and back only to create such tiny holes in front =.=

According to the sales person who sold me the fan, the screw size for 120mm should be standard no matter the brand. Is this true?

Thanks again

Coseniath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Coseniath
@kinghunter74 said:

@Coseniath: Sorry, i think you're kinda missing the point. The problem I'm having is that the screw holes where the fan touches the case is really really small.

Smaller than the holes available for case fans in the back and side of the case, in fact. No idea why cooler master made separate size mounts for both side and back only to create such tiny holes in front =.=

According to the sales person who sold me the fan, the screw size for 120mm should be standard no matter the brand. Is this true?

Thanks again

Oh, I thought when you were saying smaller you were talking about they are not long enough...

Hmmm, yeah they should be all the same no matter the brand. Some of them offer even bigger screws that you have to force them in order to attach the cooler.

There are a lot of stores that they have a service department. Does the one that you bought the fan have a service department? You can just ask them to give you 4 normal screws.

(lol I did this once to a store and he gave me for free a bag of them :P)

kinghunter74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 kinghunter74

@Coseniath: I returned the fan and got a case for my friend's laptop hdd instead. (Have him foot the bill XD)

But since you mentioned that the screws are the same size across brands then there is no point of me searching for any other case fan that will fit, is there?

Coseniath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Coseniath
@kinghunter74 said:

@Coseniath: I returned the fan and got a case for my friend's laptop hdd instead. (Have him foot the bill XD)

But since you mentioned that the screws are the same size across brands then there is no point of me searching for any other case fan that will fit, is there?

Lol, nice trade.

I don't understand. The way I see it, the screws should fit without any problem.

Are you sure you are doing everything right?

Also there are some case fans, that they are using rubber type of something like screws in order to be more quiet.

You can try them too.

kinghunter74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By kinghunter74

@Coseniath: yeah I'm sure, its just the picture that makes them looks larger.

i compared the holes with the ones behind and the sides, these holes are tiny by comparison.

Coseniath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Coseniath
@kinghunter74 said:

@Coseniath: yeah I'm sure, its just the picture that makes them looks larger.

i compared the holes with the ones behind and the sides, these holes are tiny by comparison.

Don't worry about that. As I typed before you need to force them and place the screws there.

That's one of the reasons I prefer rubber type though. A friend of mine with the same case (Raven 3) chose case fan with normal screws and he was sweating a lot (haha I was laughing at him cause I told him to prefer the rubber type ones) till he places all the case fans xD.