Top 3 base building stratergy games

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Wolfetan (7522 posts) -

What are the best base building statergy games?

#2 Posted by kunggustaf (883 posts) -

1. Starcraft
2. Impossible Creatures
3. Warcraft 3

My opinion of course

#3 Posted by Nighteg (326 posts) -
Warcraft 3 Red Alert 2 Age of Mythology
#4 Posted by shakmaster13 (7138 posts) -
Warcraft 3, Red Alert 2, Age of Empires 3 with all the expansions(better than 2, but not as revolutionary)
#5 Posted by KalDurenik (3768 posts) -

Starcraft, warcraft, age of empires for me :D

#6 Posted by DanielDust (15402 posts) -
Starcraft 2 :P beta was awesome Red Alert 2 Warcraft 3
#7 Posted by Mephers (720 posts) -

Starcraft
Command & Conquer(Original and tiberium series)
Warcraft series

#8 Posted by Rattlesnake_8 (18364 posts) -
Age of Mythology Red Alert Warcraft 2
#9 Posted by Vfanek (7719 posts) -
Warcraft 3, Red Alert 2, Age of Empires 3 with all the expansions(better than 2, but not as revolutionary)shakmaster13
AoE 3 better than 2? Uh.. Starcraft, AoE2 or AoM and WC3 in my opinion.
#10 Posted by Crimsader (11672 posts) -
Rise of Nations Stronghold Crusader Dawn of Discovery
#11 Posted by Gr0wl (311 posts) -

1. Starcraft
2. Impossible Creatures
3. Warcraft 3

My opinion of course

kunggustaf

Impossible Creatures ... That brought up some memories ...

#12 Posted by Swedish_Chef (617 posts) -

Starcraft (for the shear complexity)

C&C Generals

Age of Mythology

#13 Posted by JW-toch (344 posts) -

Age of Empires 2

Warcraft 3

Tropico 3 (If this one counts)

#14 Posted by Maddie_Larkin (6389 posts) -

Ill add Supreme Commander 1 on that list... alot about basebuilding in that game.

#15 Posted by soliderPp (1991 posts) -

It seems people have watered down their choices to "ACTION / COMBAT" strategy games. I'm a big fan of city building games and you'd be much better going with one of these newer and great "BUILDING" strategy games. These games place most of the focus on building up a grand city rather than an army.

1. Dawn of Discovery

2. Settlers 7

3. Tropico 3

#16 Posted by DanielDust (15402 posts) -

It seems people have watered down their choices to "ACTION / COMBAT" strategy games. I'm a big fan of city building games and you'd be much better going with one of these newer and great "BUILDING" strategy games. These games place most of the focus on building up a grand city rather than an army.

1. Dawn of Discovery

2. Settlers 7

3. Tropico 3

soliderPp
Because the TC wasn't asking about building simulators otherwise your games would also be on my top 3 list, he is asking about strategy games with base building in short RTSs.
#17 Posted by runex2k (1 posts) -
I'd say the best ones are always the ones were you can heavily fortify your base/s with turrets K.K.N.D: still holds its own today Red Alert: classic no more to be said Supreme Commander 1: Epic scale Starcraft 2: Big let down for me in base/defences/troop build options. If they had made it more KKND'ish they'd have had a killer
#18 Posted by Gamesterpheonix (3520 posts) -
Necroed - someones about to get shot my mods.
#19 Posted by mrbojangles25 (31985 posts) -

Supreme Commander is definately at the top. Building bases is so incredibly fun in that game, especially if youre a turtler.

Command and Conquer has always had good construction options as well, especially Red Alert 2

And I am going to have to mention Homeworld: Cataclysm. You do not really build a base in the traditional sense, but over the course of the campaign you upgrade your ship, build new compartments, and you really care about it. it is also mobile which adds strategy and builds other units.

#20 Posted by paladinqueen (509 posts) -

warcraft 3 ...:oops:

#21 Posted by xxxDirtyJoexxx (556 posts) -

Stronghold Crusader #1

#22 Posted by Baranga (14217 posts) -

Rise of Nations

Starcraft 2

Command and Conquer / BFME

As a side note, I thought the first Battle for Middle-Earth base building was very interesting.

#23 Posted by 1q3er5 (759 posts) -
Rise of Nations, Red Alert 2, Warcraft 2. I am excluding Company of Heroes, which kinda did have base building when you think about it. I would have to replace Warcraft 2 with CoH if it is what you consider a base building RTS.