Tomb Raider should have been called...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Raxzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1 Raxzor
Member since 2003 • 5399 Posts

'Lara Croft' there is almost no Tomb Raiding in the game. But despite this, I enjoyed the game but I did feel that the game was spoon fed to me on times because of the QTEs and the very linear path.

Do you guys feel that the game should have been called 'Lara Croft'?

KodiakKoolaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 KodiakKoolaid
Member since 2012 • 443 Posts
"Lara Croft: Occasional Tomb Raider"?
JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

I'm sure she will be hunting more tombs in the sequels they will make.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#4 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

TBH that would had been pretty cool.

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts

I wouldn't have minded that. The tombs I have come across were incredibly short (not sure how they compare to previous games since this is my first TR game). The puzzles have been fairly simplistic too. Gameplay is rock solid though.

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

why wouldnt they call it tomb raider.. thats the name of the franchise

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#7 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts

Technically she is an archaeologist and she does occasionally raid tombs, I think I've raided about 6 or 7 of them. Plus she finds other valuables lying around during her travels. I'm sure she'd raid more but she's a little busy being shot out by everyone and their brother.

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

Should have called it "Lara Croft:homocidal Maniac"

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
should've been called jump'n'shootman.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-59b71619573a1

should've been called jump'n'shootman.BrunoBRS

AW YEAH LEMONS !!

Bikouchu35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Bikouchu35
Member since 2009 • 8344 Posts

Tomb Raider:For hair so healthy it shines! Edition.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#12 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

Boob Raider: Origins SexyHair Edition

Ben-Buja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Ben-Buja
Member since 2011 • 2809 Posts

Ah well the gameplay is still great, even if the tomb raiding itself falls a bit short.

I actually think this game beats Uncharted in the gameplay department. The platforming, the shooting just feels much better. Not to mention that there's actually some exploration and you can revisit old locations.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Elann2008

Ah well the gameplay is still great, even if the tomb raiding itself falls a bit short.

I actually think this game beats Uncharted in the gameplay department. The platforming, the shooting just feels much better. Not to mention that there's actually some exploration and you can revisit old locations.

Ben-Buja
It stomps all over the horrible Uncharted 3. I'd say it's on par with Uncharted 2, if not better. UC2 was the perfect balance for this type of game. :)
Peanutbutterz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Peanutbutterz
Member since 2011 • 219 Posts

I'm almost halfway through it, and I'm fine with the game so far. Considering this is more of an origins type of story for this particular Tomb Raider game, I'm fine with it.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 mitu123

[QUOTE="Ben-Buja"]

Elann2008

It stomps all over the horrible Uncharted 3. I'd say it's on par with Uncharted 2, if not better. UC2 was the perfect balance for this type of game. :)

Yeah Uncharted 2 is awesome, wish Uncharted 3 was as good.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-59b71619573a1

[QUOTE="Elann2008"][QUOTE="Ben-Buja"]

mitu123

Yeah Uncharted 2 is awesome, wish Uncharted 3 was as good.

You simply cannot capture lightning in a bottle twice sadly. You can't get any better than what's already near perfect. 

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 JangoWuzHere

Ben-Buja

I don't know, I think you can argue for the platforming and presentation, but I don't see how the shooting is better. I'd say that that's one of the main things holding back Tomb Raider...weak combat. It's too easy, the weapons lack punch, and all of the combat secarios feel pretty similar

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#19 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts

Ben-Buja

Have you played Uncharted? I'm seriously asking because there's heaps of exploration in that game. 

I don't think the platforming is better because a lot of it is rudely interrupted by cutscenes and it has nowhere near the same tension.

As for the shooting: TR's combat is super easy with a mouse. I don't think this styIe of combat fits the narrative or tone of the game. There's too much of it and frankly its not very unique. They've pasted standard combat mechanics to a game called Tomb Raider if you get what I mean. 

Uncharted's combat works distinctively because its movie and comic book like. You can catch a gun from midair or kick away a guy with a grenade stuck to him.

The action has to fit the rest of the game.  

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Elann2008

When did Uncharted have exploration? It was 100% linear... unless we played different games? I played all 3 uncharted games.. UC2 being the best and most balanced. They failed with UC3. It just wasn't fun, full of shooting galleries..  when it should have been more about platforming and adventures.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 JangoWuzHere

[QUOTE="Ben-Buja"]

biggest_loser

Have you played Uncharted? I'm seriously asking because there's heaps of exploration in that game. 

I don't think the platforming is better because a lot of it is rudely interrupted by cutscenes and it has nowhere near the same tension.

As for the shooting: TR's combat is super easy with a mouse. I don't think this styIe of combat fits the narrative or tone of the game. There's too much of it and frankly its not very unique. They've pasted standard combat mechanics to a game called Tomb Raider if you get what I mean. 

Uncharted's combat works distinctively because its movie and comic book like. You can catch a gun from midair or kick away a guy with a grenade stuck to him.

The combat is super easy with a controller as well. The enemy's just aren't all that threatening, I get most of my enjoyment simply toying with them. It also sort of undermines Lara Croft's character if she is far better at shooting and combat compared to everyone else.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 biggest_loser

The combat is super easy with a controller as well. The enemy's just aren't all that threatening, I get most of my enjoyment simply toying with them. It also sort of undermines Lara Croft's character if she is far better at shooting and combat compared to everyone else.

JangoWuzHere

What difficulty are you playing it on? I had to put it up to hard and it still feels comfortable.

The ease of the game also comes down to how many resources you are given. 

For a survival horror game, you're never, ever short of ammo.

If you had like 10 arrows instead of 30 you'd have to watch your shots.  

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 mitu123

biggest_loser

I've played those games and they certainly don't have a lot of exploration.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 JangoWuzHere

[QUOTE="JangoWuzHere"]

biggest_loser

What difficulty are you playing it on? I had to put it up to hard and it still feels comfortable.

The ease of the game also comes down to how many resources you are given. 

For a survival horror game, you're never, ever short of ammo.

If you had like 10 arrows instead of 30 you'd have to watch your shots.  

I'm just playing on normal, I didn't think about changing the difficulty. However, I don't think changing the difficulty will change what is wrong with the game balance. I agree about the ammo thing. I feel like I am carrying way more then I should. I never feel like using the bow, the rifle is way better and has plenty of ammo for every encounter. There are additional skill perks you can buy which give you MORE ammo and make it easier to find. I will never buy them because ammo is everywhere in this game...

I actually liked the start of the game where you just had the bow and had to use stealth to get around. However, it quickly falls down into action shooter game. That wouldn't be a "bad" thing if the combat was better and the encounters were more exciting... 

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 biggest_loser

[QUOTE="biggest_loser"]

mitu123

Whats your definition of exploration? I regard the parts where you're climbing around large temples, platforming and solving puzzles, as exploration. Just because Tomb Raider has non-linear bits where you can walk around, finding hidden resources doesn't mean its a better game. If anything, its another chance to give you too much loot and equipment and upgrades. And the tombs themselves are minute. They're like one room with a relatively easy puzzle, no traps so far. 

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 mitu123

[QUOTE="mitu123"]

[QUOTE="biggest_loser"]

biggest_loser

Whats your definition of exploration? I regard the parts where you're climbing around large temples, platforming and solving puzzles, as exploration. Just because Tomb Raider has non-linear bits where you can walk around, finding hidden resources doesn't mean its a better game. If anything, its another chance to give you too much loot and equipment and upgrades. And the tombs themselves are minute. They're like one room with a relatively easy puzzle, no traps so far. 

There aren't that many puzzles in the Uncharted games and they're linear as hell even through all the climbing and platforming you do, exploration should let you explore the environments more being open ended without too much linear restrictions and Uncharted doesn't do that, the closest is the 1st one and even that falls short.

Ben-Buja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Ben-Buja
Member since 2011 • 2809 Posts

[QUOTE="Ben-Buja"]

biggest_loser

I've played through Uncharted 2 & 3 a couple of times, even got platinum in both :P They're good games, but there's only minimal exploration in Uncharted. All it is is looking in a corner beside the linear path you're walked through for a collectable at best.

For me exploration is not following a set path.

Not that Tomb Raider set new world records in non linear explorations, hell no, but you at least have some pretty big areas to explore and are not forced into the next set piece at once. I agree that the hidden tombs should be bigger and there should be traps and more puzzles, but this is something that is lacking entirely from the UC series. Side stuff you can do, but don't have to.

TRs shooting parts may not be unique but I think they're still better than Uncharteds, the shooting was the weakest part about Uncharted 2 & 3. It never felt right to me, enemies took too many bullets, weapons felt weak, the stealth parts didn't work properly unless it was in the script...

Btw. You should play TR on hard combat difficulty, normal really is way too easy.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 biggest_loser

I've played through Uncharted 2 & 3 a couple of times, even got platinum in both :P They're good games, but there's only minimal exploration in Uncharted. All it is is looking in a corner beside the linear path you're walked through for a collectable at best.

For me exploration is not following a set path.

Not that Tomb Raider set new world records in non linear explorations, hell no, but you at least have some pretty big areas to explore and are not forced into the next set piece at once. I agree that the hidden tombs should be bigger and there should be traps and more puzzles, but this is something that is lacking entirely from the UC series. Side stuff you can do, but don't have to.

TRs shooting parts may not be unique but I think they're still better than Uncharteds, the shooting was the weakest part about Uncharted 2 & 3. It never felt right to me, enemies took too many bullets, weapons felt weak, the stealth parts didn't work properly unless it was in the script...

Btw. You should play TR on hard combat difficulty, normal really is way too easy.

Ben-Buja

For what affect though? To collect even more stuff to make you powerful? The survival aspects, like hunting animals in those open areas are underdone anyway and at odds with the linear, cinematic stuff. 

Uncharted realises that it doesn't need to be padded out with meaningless side stuff because the story and the scripting is so strong. 

At least Uncharted's shooting was challenging and the stealth did work in parts beautifully. You have to time your runs and grab guards.

In TR you can headshot 4 guards with the bow without blinking.

I did play a great deal of TR on Hard just because it too easy on Normal and even then it was pretty comfortable.  

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#29 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

Maybe Lara Croft Origins or Tomb Raider Origins... idk.

It is a reboot so this is her first time "TOMB RAIDING" I guess. She isn't really raiding anything, more like she is being raided by a bunch of crazy nutjobs.Â