To The Moon: The 2D Dear Esther

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by NaveedLife (17179 posts) -

it is so hard to review games like this. I mean it is hardly a game at all to be honest, but it does have nice art, story, and music. SO what is your take on To THe Moon and Dear Esther?

#2 Posted by RyanShazam (6498 posts) -
I haven't played either of them. I've only heard of To the Moon.
#3 Posted by SAGE_OF_FIRE (15589 posts) -
To The Moon had a good story but the gameplay was garbage. I blame rpg maker.
#4 Posted by nutcrackr (12802 posts) -
both were good I guess, and yeah to the moon had garbage gameplay
#5 Posted by True_Sounds (2894 posts) -

You need a 'blank vote' option because I bet there are tons of people that want to see the results and have not played both of these non-mainstream games. Myself included.

#6 Posted by Travis_Odell (1701 posts) -
Indie games such as this are junk.
#7 Posted by BrunoBRS (73263 posts) -

You need a 'blank vote' option because I bet there are tons of people that want to see the results and have not played both of these non-mainstream games. Myself included.

True_Sounds
then just click on "results" :?
#8 Posted by JigglyWiggly_ (23760 posts) -
the only to the moon i know is this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_80PQ543rM
#9 Posted by SovietsUnited (2367 posts) -

Didn't play To The Moon.

Played through Dear Esther, I found it a bit pretentious and it doesn't make much sense, but it manages to achieve what it's trying to do; the narration is nice, the atmosphere is great, the enviroment is richly detailed even though it's not the best choice - rural shoreside england:( (the caves were amazing though). The best thing about it is the music, brilliant soundtrack all the way through.

#10 Posted by pelvist (5131 posts) -

Didnt like Dear Esther but i loved To The Moon.

#11 Posted by megam (457 posts) -
I loved To the Moon. I watched the trailer on GOG (when it was on sale last year), and I was instantly hooked by the premise and beautiful music. I don't normally give in to impulse buys on games, but this was well worth the few dollars I threw at it.
#12 Posted by Lucianu (9537 posts) -

It's not hard to review games like these, NaveedLife, these are adventure games. To The Moon being the one that's much more traditional than Dear Esther.

I loved To The Moon. It has flaws, such asthe quality of the writting which is subpar, and the puzzles that are ridiculously easy. But the brilliant soundtrack and the story of reliving the past of a dying old man is wonderfully constructed, the storytelling is good and the plot itself is great. The pacing is perfect and the length is just right (at about 4 hours). There's a couple of twists here and there in the plot to keep you on the edge, to know what happens next.

I finished it in one sitting. I highly recommend anyone to pick it up and give it a go.

#13 Posted by NaveedLife (17179 posts) -

It's not hard to review games like these, NaveedLife, these are adventure games. To The Moon being the one that's much more traditional than Dear Esther.

I loved To The Moon. It has flaws, such asthe quality of the writting which is subpar, and the puzzles that are ridiculously easy. But the brilliant soundtrack and the story of reliving the past of a dying old man is wonderfully constructed, the storytelling is good and the plot itself is great. The pacing is perfect and the length is just right (at about 4 hours). There's a couple of twists here and there in the plot to keep you on the edge, to know what happens next.

I finished it in one sitting. I highly recommend anyone to pick it up and give it a go.

Lucianu

The only real gameplay of To The Moon is the super easy puzzles. It is not like the game is a traditional adventure game such as Myst or kings quest.

#14 Posted by Lucianu (9537 posts) -

[QUOTE="Lucianu"]

NaveedLife

The only real gameplay of To The Moon is the super easy puzzles. It is not like the game is a traditional adventure game such as Myst or kings quest.

You point and click. The gameplay is as it is with any point 'n click adventure game, but because it lacks proper puzzle-solving, a stronger conversation tree, better writting and a better way to convey the environment trough a strong graphical artst.yle, the gameplay is inferior compared to good adventure games. What's great is the storytelling, plot, the pacing and the appropriate length.

Games that spring to mind atm, The Longest Journey, Gemini Rue, would be my definition of good adventure games with good gameplay. Its got a strong graphical arts.yle that's interesting to behold, proper and satisfying puzzle solving (not to hard, neither brain-dead easy), a good (albeit convoluted in TLJ) plot and a good level of quality to the writting.

#15 Posted by skrat_01 (33767 posts) -
I haven't played To the Moon yet - have it installed but still haven't touched it. I should fix that. Otherwise I'd say Dear Esther is an extremely daring and great game - for what it is. It's a game that was conceived as a challenge to game convention, as well as storytelling conventions - and the remake (on Steam) is an absolutely stunning redevelopment of the original. The problem is that Dear Esther (and I presume To the Moon as well) aren't games that are centered around game mechanics - rather the aesthetic and story components; and are entirely commited to that. Dear Esther is a very, very important game (hell the thesis and PHD that went into it are too). I just really need give To the Moon a whirl - lot of people have said good things about it on GS.
#16 Posted by JigglyWiggly_ (23760 posts) -
[QUOTE="skrat_01"]I haven't played To the Moon yet - have it installed but still haven't touched it. I should fix that. Otherwise I'd say Dear Esther is an extremely daring and great game - for what it is. It's a game that was conceived as a challenge to game convention, as well as storytelling conventions - and the remake (on Steam) is an absolutely stunning redevelopment of the original. The problem is that Dear Esther (and I presume To the Moon as well) aren't games that are centered around game mechanics - rather the aesthetic and story components; and are entirely commited to that. Dear Esther is a very, very important game (hell the thesis and PHD that went into it are too). I just really need give To the Moon a whirl - lot of people have said good things about it on GS.

dear esther is a boring simulator
#17 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38218 posts) -

Played both, enjoyed both. As far as which is better I'd say To the moon. Because it has characters, a story and arcs. Dear Esther is still good but it's nothing but ambiguity. To the moon had some real emotional weigth attached to it. As far as gameplay goes, both have very very limited gameplay. But that's the point

#18 Posted by kozzy1234 (35310 posts) -

To The Moon hardly a game? I donno about that.

Had a good story, brought some wonderful emotions into play and it had good music. Cannot wait for the devs next game.

One of the few videogames that has made me sad

#19 Posted by Elann2008 (33028 posts) -
I didn't enjoy Dear Esther. To the Moon is the better game. I prefer something like Gemini Rue though.
#20 Posted by skrat_01 (33767 posts) -
[QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"][QUOTE="skrat_01"]I haven't played To the Moon yet - have it installed but still haven't touched it. I should fix that. Otherwise I'd say Dear Esther is an extremely daring and great game - for what it is. It's a game that was conceived as a challenge to game convention, as well as storytelling conventions - and the remake (on Steam) is an absolutely stunning redevelopment of the original. The problem is that Dear Esther (and I presume To the Moon as well) aren't games that are centered around game mechanics - rather the aesthetic and story components; and are entirely commited to that. Dear Esther is a very, very important game (hell the thesis and PHD that went into it are too). I just really need give To the Moon a whirl - lot of people have said good things about it on GS.

dear esther is a boring simulator

In a sense, yeah it sure is.
#21 Posted by call_of_duty_10 (4954 posts) -

I played 'To the Moon' yesterday.It was amazing.

I don't think one should think of it as a game,though.I mean,it didn't really have any gameplay.imo,It is a story,that is being presented through the medium of RPGMaker.

Anyway,game or no game,I think everyone should play it.I used to think I would never actually care about a character from a game/book/movie.But 'To the moon' proved me wrong.Its funny how a small team of devs with a miniscule budget achieved what Bioware hasn't after all these years and with millions of dollars.