To buy or not to buy the 6950?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by delete-SimplyFatal (1122 posts) -

Hey guys, I was thinking on buying my friends 6950 sapphire vaporx which has been stock clocked to the 6970 standards. I currently have a 450 gts so it would be quite the upgrade. He wants 100 bucks + 10 dollars shipping, which I think is more than fair. He's currently out of warranty so I was wondering if theres something that I can do if the card dies?

P.S. He has the proper paperwork and box.

#2 Edited by jun_aka_pekto (16699 posts) -

@SimplyFatal said:

Hey guys, I was thinking on buying my friends 6950 sapphire vaporx which has been stock clocked to the 6970 standards. I currently have a 450 gts so it would be quite the upgrade. He wants 100 bucks + 10 dollars shipping, which I think is more than fair. He's currently out of warranty so I was wondering if theres something that I can do if the card dies?

P.S. He has the proper paperwork and box.

Save your money and go for a better card especially if you plan to play the newest games. I have a GTX 560 Ti which ranks just slightly below the 6950. It too is becoming outdated.

#3 Edited by HavocV3 (7948 posts) -

If you're willing to increase your budget by $20 you can have this MSI 7850 for $130. It's $99 after a $30 MIR.

-Brand new

-Free shipping

-2 year warranty, this is more than enough to justify the extra $20 up front, imo.

-More energy efficient

-Slightly better performance (this card also has a slight OC over a reference 7850)

#4 Posted by mastershake575 (8357 posts) -

Not really worth it as mentioned above (first user mentions saving money for something better which is a good idea and the 2nd user shows an overclocked 7850 2GB for $99 after rebate brand new and its equal/slightly faster than a stock 6970).

With sales coming up (black Friday/cyber Monday) I would aim for at least a 7870ghz (the MSI 7870Ghz is $130 after rebate currently without the sale).

You should be able to get a 7870ghz for a good sale price (you shouldn't have to spend much more than the original $110 you had planned).

#5 Posted by sailor232 (4924 posts) -

The 6950 uses too much power,produces a bit of heat and can be noisy when fan kicks in. It's a great card and plays most games cranked up,but Id recommend you buy the 7850.

#6 Posted by MBirdy88 (8443 posts) -

I currently have 6950 and I would say listen to the others. Its starting to age.