Tips for someone looking to rebuild

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by MirkoS77 (6984 posts) -

My system is in need of an upgrade. I've come to the point where I'm going to need to replace everything from the ground up and do a complete rebuild. I have a 2.4 Quadcore, 4 gigs, 285 Gtx. The trouble is, I have absolutely no idea of what I'm doing. I don't know the different types of CPUs, which are compatible with what, what's SLI, the best current graphics card, what motherboard fits what case, what's the best case, do I need a cooling system, etc etc. It's all a bit overwhelming. I'm the definition of a noob and am why places like Alienware turn a profit.

I simply can't afford to go the prebuilt route anymore, not only that but I'd like to gain experience so I can save money in the future and not have to shell out every few years for a middleman. My budget is currently about $1k. I do not need a monitor, keyboard, any of that. Just the case, motherboard, memory, CPU, graphics card, and cooling system (if the case does not come with one). Most important of all, I want to allow a lot of room for expansion in the years to come. I don't want a rig that's a supercomputer from the get go (I know with $1,000 this isn't reasonable), but I want the potential so when I have the money I can get much better performance down the line.

Is Newegg wtill the best place to find good deals? And what advice is there for a new guy trying to get his hands dirty for the first time? I suppose the first thing is a case. What's a good one?

#2 Posted by Bikouchu35 (7271 posts) -

You don't have to spend 1k to get back up to speed. Your case will fit the latest motherboards, because they all use atx form factor old or new that has not change. In fact I reused my old power supply and case( both 4 yrs old already), because gpu still uses pci-express, molex, blah, so you can save money on that like I did.

Heres the parts I recommend. 3570k Intel Cpu $220, z77 extreme 4 asrock motherboard ~$140, ~$50 8gb ram 1600mhz, hd AMd 7870 graphics card ~ $250, ~$100 windows 7(if you can transfer your key to the new motherboard than you don't have to pay), harddrives are optional depends if you need extra space but they are reusable so are dvd drives if they still work. Those prices are off the top my head, so check on newegg, tigerdirect.

Once you ordered the parts you can check on the top sticky on how to DIY, its the easiest thing you would ever do that seem hard to many non tech savvy people.

Oh yeah $1000 is more than enough to blow chunks off a console, let alone a tightly budget $400-600 build. You can spend a little or a lot is up to you, but the budget is enough to set a smile to your face you'd be surprised by the mark ups of prebuilts.

#3 Posted by MirkoS77 (6984 posts) -

You don't have to spend 1k to get back up to speed. Your case will fit the latest motherboards, because they all use atx form factor old or new that has not change. In fact I reused my old power supply and case( both 4 yrs old already), because gpu still uses pci-express, molex, blah, so you can save money on that like I did.

Heres the parts I recommend. 3570k Intel Cpu $220, z77 extreme 4 asrock motherboard ~$140, ~$50 8gb ram 1600mhz, hd AMd 7870 graphics card ~ $250, ~$100 windows 7(if you can transfer your key to the new motherboard than you don't have to pay), harddrives are optional depends if you need extra space but they are reusable so are dvd drives if they still work. Those prices are off the top my head, so check on newegg, tigerdirect.

Once you ordered the parts you can check on the top sticky on how to DIY, its the easiest thing you would ever do that seem hard to many non tech savvy people.

Oh yeah $1000 is more than enough to blow chunks off a console, let alone a tightly budget $400-600 build. You can spend a little or a lot is up to you, but the budget is enough to set a smile to your face you'd be surprised by the mark ups of prebuilts.

Bikouchu35

Thanks for the reply. :)

I plan to give my current system to my nephew when I finally build my own, so I'm going to have to get everything new. So I will have to get a case. Do you have any in mind, and do they come with their own power supply/cooling systems?

#4 Posted by GummiRaccoon (13593 posts) -

get a coolermaster 212+ for your cpu. I have a corsair c70 vengeance I like that a lot. As for a power supply, I am in the market for one myself, so I haven't gotten the details on that.

#5 Posted by Bikouchu35 (7271 posts) -

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817194094 Cases usually come with intake/out fans already, and just buy the one gummi suggested is good for the dollar:performance for the cpu cooler.

#6 Posted by MirkoS77 (6984 posts) -

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817194094 Cases usually come with intake/out fans already, and just buy the one gummi suggested is good for the dollar:performance for the cpu cooler.

Bikouchu35
How much did your rig cost to build? My budget is flexible to a point.
#7 Posted by blaznwiipspman1 (6028 posts) -

a decent case-->100

z77 mobo-->100

8 gigs ra, --> 30

600 watt powersupply antec-->70

1 tb HDD--> 70

core i5 3570k-->230

radeon 7970-->350

windows 7 --> 100

miscellaneous -->50

Total == >$1100 before s&H

#8 Posted by MirkoS77 (6984 posts) -

Should I get an SLI capable card? Do many games utilize dual cards currently, and if not, will it become required more and more in the coming years? I also read I need a PCI capable motherboard for this? I'm sorry if these are dumb questions....as I said I'm very technically inept. This is the card I'm seriously considering:

GTX 670 FTW

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130824&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&PageSize=10&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&IsFeedbackTab=true#scrollFullInfo

Good choice (not only for current games but for expansion)?

#9 Posted by stiggy321 (609 posts) -

a decent case-->100

z77 mobo-->100

8 gigs ra, --> 30

600 watt powersupply antec-->70

1 tb HDD--> 70

core i5 3570k-->230

radeon 7970-->350

windows 7 --> 100

miscellaneous -->50

Total == >$1100 before s&H

blaznwiipspman1
On Black Friday I got an ASRock z77 Extreme4, 3570k, EVGA GTX 660 ti SC with Assassins Creed 3, 120GB SSD (Samsung 840 pro), and 16GB of 1600mhz RAM for $625 after tax and 20 dollar rebate on the GPU. I'm using my old case, CPU Cooler, hdd, and PSU, and selling my old parts for $350. Regardless of price, I recommend this ^ as those parts are the best value overall. I was also not a believer in solid state drives... but if you can get it at a "special sale" price, do it.
#10 Posted by kraken2109 (12964 posts) -

Should I get an SLI capable card? Do many games utilize dual cards currently, and if not, will it become required more and more in the coming years? I also read I need a PCI capable motherboard for this? I'm sorry if these are dumb questions....as I said I'm very technically inept. This is the card I'm seriously considering:

GTX 670 FTW

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130824&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&PageSize=10&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&IsFeedbackTab=true#scrollFullInfo

MirkoS77
Most decent cards support SLI, but personally I wouldn't bother. A good single card like a 670/680/7950/7970 is more than enough. 670 is a good choice, 4GB could come in handy but isn't necessary for 1080p.
#11 Posted by MirkoS77 (6984 posts) -

[QUOTE="MirkoS77"]

GTX 670 FTW

kraken2109

Most decent cards support SLI, but personally I wouldn't bother. A good single card like a 670/680/7950/7970 is more than enough. 670 is a good choice, 4GB could come in handy but isn't necessary for 1080p.

Well I want to buy not only for performance now, but for what may be needed in the future.

#12 Posted by kraken2109 (12964 posts) -

[QUOTE="kraken2109"][QUOTE="MirkoS77"]

GTX 670 FTW

MirkoS77

Well I want to buy not only for performance now, but for what may be needed in the future.

Well then wait til the next consoles come out and see if they're any good. I doubt a 670 will struggle for a long time though.
#13 Posted by MirkoS77 (6984 posts) -

get a coolermaster 212+ for your cpu. I have a corsair c70 vengeance I like that a lot. As for a power supply, I am in the market for one myself, so I haven't gotten the details on that.

GummiRaccoon

I've decided to buy the case you have and have just ordered it off NE. What kind of power supply do I need and how many different kinds are there? Also, is all RAM the same or does it matter on the motherboard? I'm looking for 2x(4) gigs with extra slots available for upgrades later.

Thanks everyone for the continued help. :)

#14 Posted by GummiRaccoon (13593 posts) -

[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

MirkoS77

I've decided to buy the case you have and have just ordered it off NE. What kind of power supply do I need and how many different kinds are there? Also, is all RAM the same or does it matter on the motherboard? I'm looking for 2x(4) gigs with extra slots available for upgrades later.

Thanks everyone for the continued help. :)

For the RAM, check the Qualified vender list for the motherboard, the wattage of your PSU should be based on your components (mostly cpu+gpu(s))

#15 Posted by Bikouchu35 (7271 posts) -

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231455 < cheappz ram.

#16 Posted by MirkoS77 (6984 posts) -

Alright, I have a tentative list of components and I'd appreciate hearing opinions and feedback on this build:

Motherboard:ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

CPU:Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I53570K

Power supply:ENERMAX NAXN 82+ ENP650AWT B 650W ATX12V 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply

Disk drive:Sony Optiarc 24X DVD Burner, Bulk Package Black SATA Model AD-7280S-0B - OEM

HDD:Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Gfx card:EVGA 04G-P4-3673-KR GeForce GTX 670 FTW+ 4GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

Case:

1)Corsair Vengeance Series C70 Arctic White Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

or

2)COOLER MASTER HAF 932 Advanced RC-932-KKN5-GP Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case with USB 3.0, Black Interior and Four Fans-1x ...

Memory:($39.99) G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL

That's about it so far. Anything else crucial that I'm missing? Cooling equipment maybe? Is there any compatibility issues? I've spent a few hours going over the details for each component and making sure they match and I can't find anything out of place.

A few questions also...

1. I prefer the Corsair case, however it's a mid sized tower and my motherboard is a full sized ATX. Just want to make sure what I read online is correct about corresponding case/mobo sizes. I'll have to go with the Cooler Master I assume?
  2. This CPU does not support multi-threading. Is this important for gaming?
  3. Will 3.4 Ghz soon be obsolete, and what exactly is meant by "3.8 Turbo"? Is that the limit that it can be overclocked?
#17 Posted by Elann2008 (32953 posts) -
Pay like $10 more and get a Corsair 650w instead. Check ram compatibility for that G.Skill 1600. I've read too many bsod issues with that. Other than that, G.Skill ram all-around are great but you should always check for compatibility when it comes to RAM>Motherboard. Also check out the Corsair Obsidian cases. They are absolutely fantastic.
#18 Posted by blaznwiipspman1 (6028 posts) -

i noticed this earlier but it looks like seagate hard drives are once again becoming more and more popular.

#19 Posted by MirkoS77 (6984 posts) -

Pay like $10 more and get a Corsair 650w instead. Check ram compatibility for that G.Skill 1600. I've read too many bsod issues with that. Other than that, G.Skill ram all-around are great but you should always check for compatibility when it comes to RAM>Motherboard. Also check out the Corsair Obsidian cases. They are absolutely fantastic.Elann2008
The Obsidian cases do look great, but they are far out of my price range. $150 is the most I want to spend on one. And how do I find out if RAM is compatible with what motherboard?

#20 Posted by MirkoS77 (6984 posts) -

OK, I I'm all decided on the above ('cept a different power supply) and am ready to order all the parts. I'm still unsure about whether the mid sized ATX tower will fit my motherboard. All the reviews I have read say there's a lot of room to work with but as I've never built a PC I have no idea.

#21 Posted by jakes456 (1437 posts) -

$449 for a GTX 670...

:lol:

#22 Posted by MirkoS77 (6984 posts) -

$449 for a GTX 670...

jakes456

Looked around the net and see all the same price. With your exclusive insider knowledge, would you please point me to where I can find it cheaper?

#23 Posted by DieselCat18 (2960 posts) -

OK, I I'm all decided on the above ('cept a different power supply) and am ready to order all the parts. I'm still unsure about whether the mid sized ATX tower will fit my motherboard. All the reviews I have read say there's a lot of room to work with but as I've never built a PC I have no idea.

MirkoS77

Both the cases you are deciding on are compatible with the ATX mother board that you selected. Either case will accommodate your MB.

*+

#24 Posted by Bikouchu35 (7271 posts) -

They should all fit generally. ATX form factor for computers is universal as AA/AAA for batteries.

#25 Posted by Elann2008 (32953 posts) -
#26 Posted by MirkoS77 (6984 posts) -

There are plenty of GTX 670 @ around $400 or less. Of course, if you want non-reference cards, it'll cost you extra. Derp. Here's the GTX 670 Newegg page if you can shop there. Now, that wasn't so hard, was it??Elann2008
Actually it is, for the exact card I'm looking for. Of course I can find cheaper, if I change cards. He seems to know of my chosen card being cheaper elsewhere apparently, and I'd love to know where.

#27 Posted by blaznwiipspman1 (6028 posts) -

$449 for a GTX 670...

jakes456

yep, its just a joke how expensive that card is when the 7970 which is the fastest card on the market, costs $350. Nvidia is like the apple of graphics cards, people will buy their cards no matter how expensive and crappy it is.