Thinking of building a PC, $800 enough?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by immortality20 (7957 posts) -

I'm really conflicted right now, I have an Xbox One pre-ordered but having second thoughts and now think may build a PC. Don't need to get into the reasons now, just leaving my options open.

Only problem is I have no idea how. I have friends who could put it together once I get the parts, but have no idea what to buy. Might have $800 to spend, is that enough to get a good PC to play games at least medium for next 5+ years? If anyone can help me with parts/specs either PM or reply here.

#2 Edited by immortality20 (7957 posts) -

I'm not trying to troll or anything, I just don't know what specs I should be looking for or what I should buy to be somewhat future proof. If anyone can help, it's appreciated.

#3 Posted by PredatorRules (7799 posts) -

@immortality20: On medium for the next 5 years with 800$ not sure, some games will and some won't; I've been gaming in such budget PC for over 5 years and some games such as Witcher 2 run only on low in good fps and some even on high.

#4 Posted by RyviusARC (4492 posts) -

It's hard to know how far games will progress in the next 5 years.

With last gen it was a bit different because the 360 had some new tech the was not available on PC until 2006.

This gen consoles are starting out much weaker in comparison.

I will say when picking out a graphics card look for one that has at least 4GB of video ram for future proofing.

#5 Posted by brodelin (546 posts) -

I really dont know about the price in your country but 800$ is a bit too short for good gaming pc (especially if you need a monitor and i/o devices).

Considering the new gen of consoles, the multiplatform games will also have higher and more unoptimized requirements (Cod: ghosts & watch dogs for example).

If I were you I'd hold off for a couple of months to save some more money and get better deals on components.

#6 Edited by marcthpro (7927 posts) -

if you are in usa wait black friday : best time to get hardware also around new year they have sales relatively same as black friday but not always

but yes for around 800-900$ you can get a pc playing at mix of medium to high resolution for the Vast majority of Video game for next 3 year and maybe medium for the next 5 year :

however FPS hitting over 40FPS all time : that is uncertain no one know if IE Geforce Series 10-11 for 200$ in 2018 will have like 2.5X to 4x GTX 780 power

if money and lasting is really a issue go with like a 230-320$ GPU that is strong enough for high current then once it start to be feel slow like in 3 year Grab something like Geforces Series 8xx / 9xx

that way you will be sure to have nearly max graphic for probably even 2018 instead of trying to be like building a 1000-1200$ PC with like GTX 780 at 450$ and hope it last 4 year better cause it 10-15% better then a 120-150$ cheaper gpu that won't really work

you cannot also either go like GTX 760 SLI within next year and hope it last 5 Year because you can't really rely on SLI / Crossfire to last you half a Decade let alone ur video card could die like within that time laspe most of Video card can last 5 year of heavy duty gaming with overclocking but not all

and let not forget with driver stopped to being developed for optimization for older card and bunch of AAA title that are still poorly optimize for SLI

#7 Edited by SakusEnvoy (4286 posts) -

IMO, upgrading a PC around the time of a new console launch with a mid-spec rig generally isn't worth it if you're looking for guarantees of longevity. From a bang/buck perspective, it's better to upgrade your PC rig mid-generation (or roughly 3 years into a console cycle) so you can play late-gen games with much superior hardware while still not breaking the bank.

Of course, you can do it. But I would rather have used a 360 from 2005 to 2008 and built a rig with a GTX 260 in 2008, than have built a rig with a 7800 GTX in 2005.

The latter PC rig is horribly outdated despite using a once very expensive graphics card, whereas the former can still play all current gen games quite well despite being a decidedly mid-level card.

This generation, PC is a bit further ahead of consoles in terms of power, but still I would have to think building a mid-spec PC rig in 2016 would be vastly more fruitful in terms of longevity than building one now. Plus you'd get a GPU that's much ahead of consoles instead of merely slightly ahead.

#8 Posted by Gaming-Planet (14021 posts) -

$800 is good enough if you pick out the right parts.

#9 Posted by immortality20 (7957 posts) -

IMO, upgrading a PC around the time of a new console launch generally isn't worth it. From a bang/buck perspective, it's better to upgrade your PC rig mid-generation (or roughly 3 years into a console cycle) so you can play late-gen games with much superior hardware while still not breaking the bank.

Of course, you can do it. But I would rather have used a 360 from 2005 to 2008 and built a rig with a GTX 260 in 2008, than have built a rig with a 7800 GTX in 2005.

The latter PC rig is horribly outdated despite using a once very expensive graphics card, whereas the former can still play all current gen games quite well despite being a decidedly mid-level card.

This generation, PC is a bit further ahead of consoles in terms of power, but still I would have to think building a mid-spec PC rig in 2016 would be vastly more fruitful in terms of longevity than building one now. Plus you'd get a GPU that's much ahead of consoles instead of merely slightly ahead.

I'm actually looking to build a PC from scratch, but really not sure on things like processor, video card, power supply and all that fun stuff. I guess I'll keep bugging my friends to help me as they've been a little non-responsive. Or just get the pre-ordered Xbox One and say screw it.

#10 Posted by Arthas045 (5155 posts) -

$800 is more than enough to get you a PC going. I feel that prices of hardware have gone up over the past 5 years, but so has the tech. I built a mid range computer about 5-6 years ago and the only thing I ever had to upgrade was the GPU. The GPU I purchased at the time was really no that great to begin with. I upgraded to a 7750 on a sale sometime last year and still using that thing like a beast.

#11 Edited by kraken2109 (13027 posts) -

If you don't need to buy a monitor $800 is a fairly good budget and I would expect it to still be at least matching consoles in 4 years.

#12 Edited by marcthpro (7927 posts) -
@kraken2109 said:

If you don't need to buy a monitor $800 is a fairly good budget and I would expect it to still be at least matching consoles in 4 years.

This is Almost True since i doubt a New HD Console will appear Before 2018 or it will have fallen to be All Steambox like :P I think they want to make sure there Xbox one / PS4 is a Gaming console for the next 5 year Given it post Launch to 2014 for holiday Reason

I do Think however that running game on medium very all of them might remain a challenge with a 800$ PC Especially if the Monitor is a need in 4 Years of now but the Vast majority should run well

I'm thinking unless there a combo deal like micro-center he will be having FX6300 and a GTX 660 / 7950 or GTX 760 / 7970 if he can strech more money given he need a monitor

he should minimum get a 7870 Related power which obviously will have issue playing game in 2 year of now but is for now running somewhat okay

iv read it possible to get 7970 recertified for about 250$

#13 Posted by nicecall (428 posts) -

I wouldn't buy a console right now, theres so few games for it and by the time there are good games for them the cost of the consoles will be much less.

And if you build a gaming pc, your gaming library is almost infinite for past, present and future games. And like someone said already, its very easy to exceed the consoles specs, their cpus are simple low clocked 8 cores and their video cards could be easily out done by most mid range graphics cards.

Im not bashing consoles either, i'll likely get a ps4 a few years from now but right now I see nothing i'd want to play on them.