Thief reviews...first ones are in.

  • 57 results
  • 1
  • 2

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#2 Posted by vfibsux (4205 posts) -

Not surprising, another pc classic ruined by cross platforming to the lowest common denominator.

#4 Posted by Arthas045 (5094 posts) -

Just put down to the average game...............

#5 Edited by BSC14 (3609 posts) -

Just put down to the average game...............

Yeah I'm unsure if I want to buy it at full price or not. With Titanfall out soon I might wait....I don't know. I think I will still enjoy it but it does not look like a must have right now kind of game.

#6 Posted by vfibsux (4205 posts) -

lul flop.

cross platforming/ "lowest common denominator" has nothing to do with it. it was the story, bugs, and technical gripes that are most peoples main complaints, not the gameplay. infact the gameplay is pretty much universally praised.

perhapes pull your console hating head out your ass and actually read what the issues are before making assumptions....

then again, i am talking to vfib... only slightly less retarded than KHandAnime

Keep telling yourself that.

What happened Geminon? Get banned for being your awesome typical self and have to make another account? Hope you have another name ready because you are on your way again. Sorry you cannot discuss issues without calling people retards.

#7 Posted by Arthas045 (5094 posts) -

@BSC14 said:

@Arthas045 said:

Just put down to the average game...............

Yeah I'm unsure if I want to buy it at full price or not. With Titanfall out soon I might wait....I don't know. I think I will still enjoy it but it does not look like a must have right now kind of game.

Yeah I will get TitanFall day 1 that is no doubt. This will have to wait until a Steam Sale. I am excited to play the game, but not $60 excited.

#8 Edited by BSC14 (3609 posts) -

@BSC14 said:

@Arthas045 said:

Just put down to the average game...............

Yeah I'm unsure if I want to buy it at full price or not. With Titanfall out soon I might wait....I don't know. I think I will still enjoy it but it does not look like a must have right now kind of game.

Yeah I will get TitanFall day 1 that is no doubt. This will have to wait until a Steam Sale. I am excited to play the game, but not $60 excited.

I liked what I played of Titanfall but I have been playing so much BF4 that I kind of want a break from FPS. That's why I had high hopes for Thief. I don't know.

#9 Posted by insane_metalist (5912 posts) -

I expected a little better, gonna wait around for a good sale. BF4 is keeping me busy atm.

#10 Edited by kozzy1234 (35143 posts) -

I find these reviews very interesting. I was expecting an average of about 70%.

Some reviews didn't like it that much (Gamepsot and IGN, and more,etc..) but there is also a good amount of people who have enjoyed it as follows:

- PC games = 85%

- Multiplayer.it = 80%

- CVG = 80%

- Game Informer = 80%

- Machinima = 85%

- Joystiq = 80%

- Canadian Online Gamers = 81%

- Euro Gamer Italy = 90%

- LaPS3 = 85%

- Vandal Online = 82%

- God Is Greek = 80%

- Everyeye.it = 80%

- Playstation Universe = 75%

- Gmaetrailers = 75%

- PC Gamer = 79%

- Rock Paper Shotgun = VERY POSITIVE review, they are usually tough on games

- Total Biscuit = VERY Positive review, didn't expect this he is usually very hard on games

Interesting to see the difference of opinion, the average though of 70%-72% or what ever is pretty much what I was expecting, nice to see Total Biscuit and Rock Paper Shotgun enjoy it though as those are two of the hardest review places around. Interested to try this myself and see if its any good.

#11 Edited by SEANMCAD (5464 posts) -

here is what they need to do moving forward

1. drop console support.

2. reboot the old games with nothing more than a better graphics skin

3. create a few simple games using Garret as the lead.

AAA companies need to totally forget about consoles and start over.

#12 Posted by udUbdaWgz1 (631 posts) -

question for you pc modders: can you guys fix bad a.i. and replace it with an unbelievably great system?

or, is that kind of overhaul too difficulty?

would such improvements require higher-end pc's?

#13 Edited by Grey_Eyed_Elf (3679 posts) -

Just watched Adam Sesslers review and TotalBiscuits WTF and I have to say that it looks like I'll wait till it's on sale. Seems like a decent game though.

#14 Edited by nutcrackr (12377 posts) -

Pretty bad scores all around really. Couple of trash sites giving it 9/10 but the rest around 7s. Kinda regret buying it, but still want to try it out for myself.

The tagline of one of the reviews "dishonored without the fun bits" makes me cringe

#15 Posted by mastershake575 (8350 posts) -

Looks like I'll wait for a good flash/summer sale for this one

#16 Edited by dethtrain (384 posts) -

@BSC14 said:

@Arthas045 said:

Just put down to the average game...............

Yeah I'm unsure if I want to buy it at full price or not. With Titanfall out soon I might wait....I don't know. I think I will still enjoy it but it does not look like a must have right now kind of game.

I just preordered it for about $33. I think I'll enjoy the game. I like stealth games for the most part and it seems like a lot of the gripes in the reviews have to do with poor story telling, some linear level designs (with the main story missions only I think), sound bugs and not being able to "free run" like in dishonored/assassin's creed or any other game using "parkour". I wouldn't have paid $50 though.

And it seems like BOTH consoles are sucking hard in terms of performance and bugs.

#17 Edited by Cwagmire21 (5887 posts) -

Maybe I'm just cynical, but it looks like it turned out better than I expected. Definitely a lot of mixed reviews. If you're still interested in the game, I'd read/watch several reviews before purchasing as there are many elements of the game that some people love and some people hate. You'll have to decide which way you fall.

Me personally, I probably won't consider getting it until it hits $5. The backlog is just too big.

#18 Posted by BSC14 (3609 posts) -

I think I'm gonna get it. I don't expect it to be perfect but it looks good to me. I'll decide tonight...maybe preload it.

#19 Edited by ShimmerMan (4427 posts) -

Good job devs, they're saving me loadsamoney by continuing to make s***y video games.

#20 Posted by blangenakker (2183 posts) -

Perhaps the game could benefit from a playable demo

#21 Posted by slateman_basic (3940 posts) -

Disappointing but not unsurprising.

#22 Posted by Qixote (10669 posts) -

Disappointing but not unsurprising.

So, you're surprised then . . .?

#23 Posted by Jd1680a (5917 posts) -

Thief did get a rating for 79/100 on metacritic. Its the kind of score either you like it or you don't. I am still planning on getting it this weekend.

#24 Posted by yngsten (192 posts) -

@BSC14 said:

@Arthas045 said:

Just put down to the average game...............

Yeah I'm unsure if I want to buy it at full price or not. With Titanfall out soon I might wait....I don't know. I think I will still enjoy it but it does not look like a must have right now kind of game.

Don't do it, buy it when it's on sale. Developers need to learn not to revive a franchise and let it sell on the name only. If we want revived franchises to be good, don't buy 'em full price when they're not.

#25 Edited by Croag821 (2312 posts) -

@vfibsux said:

Not surprising, another pc classic ruined by cross platforming to the lowest common denominator.

I agree it sucks to see great games dumbed down, but it's not consoles faults, it's just gamers in general.

You may view PC gamers as having better taste but every new CoD/AAA remake still seems to top the Steam sales for weeks-months.

Gaming isn't just for the hardcore anymore, and unfortunately developers are willing to sacrifice what made their games special for more sales.

#26 Posted by Gallowhand (476 posts) -

I think I'll wait in the shadows for a while, for the inevitable bug fixes and a price drop.

#27 Posted by airshocker (28840 posts) -

God damn. What a fucking shame. That will teach me not to preorder a digital copy of a game. =\

#28 Posted by SEANMCAD (5464 posts) -

MOD IT!!!!!!

#29 Posted by Planeforger (15488 posts) -

I'd cancelled my pre-order earlier in the week, but I jumped back on board after reading some of the reviews.

The reviews suggest that, if you can get past the fact that it's the worst game in the series (with a terrible storyline, derivative missions and many other flaws), it's actually a decent game underneath. I'm going in with the lowest expectations, so it can't be all bad!

#30 Posted by alan_carter (1404 posts) -

If they stopped making lame games with flashy effects and screen blur, old ones wouldn't feel dated.

#31 Posted by IncisionX (157 posts) -

I'm a little bit gutted but I'm not at all surprised, every video so far has looked incredibly average and although I appreciate Thief started it, Dishonoured does everything better.

I'll still buy it in a steam sale though I enjoy stealth <3

//IncisionX

#32 Posted by BSC14 (3609 posts) -

Sounds like the big mistake was making it somewhat linear. I don't understand why they would have done that....should have just made an open map with multiple ways of getting in and out and let people do it however they like. Bummer...

#33 Posted by mismajor99 (5657 posts) -

I read through Rockpapershotgun's Wot I think, and I gave it a go.

45 bucks on Steam for a series I've always enjoyed, and with not much else to play besides some MMO's.

Just looking for a fun Thief game and from what RPS had to say, it's definitely that to some extent.

#34 Edited by mismajor99 (5657 posts) -

I'd cancelled my pre-order earlier in the week, but I jumped back on board after reading some of the reviews.

The reviews suggest that, if you can get past the fact that it's the worst game in the series (with a terrible storyline, derivative missions and many other flaws), it's actually a decent game underneath. I'm going in with the lowest expectations, so it can't be all bad!

That's what I'm thinking as well. I am gonna jump in as soon as I get home from work today. All pre-loaded up.

#35 Edited by BSC14 (3609 posts) -

Well I played for a short time last night. The game most defiantly feels like they kept the areas small for the crappy consoles. As much as I hate to say that it does seem like a design decision forced by old hardware. That said I do enjoy the game and look forward to playing it more. I'm not a fan of the story this far but if I were being completely honest it's not that important to me anyway. Graphics are pretty decent and sound is good though I did turn off the music because I found it so amazingly annoying and intrusive to the gameplay / surrounding sounds. So far I think deadly shadows was a bit better but I'm not far enough into the game to say for sure. Being that I got it for $37 I'm not too disappointed...I think it will be worth that.

#36 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38208 posts) -

The game is very very pretty at least and runs really well too

#37 Posted by Elann2008 (32953 posts) -

These scores are rock-solid. I could understand that some people will deem these ratings as insubstantial. If you feel that way, you should at least rent it on a console if you have access and try it first. On top of that, I believe the nine-year gap between Deadly Shadows and the "new" Thief game set the expectations really high for some. Although I'm not arguing some of the game's questionable level design. It's definitely open for discussion.

#38 Posted by JangoWuzHere (16021 posts) -

@BSC14 said:

Well I played for a short time last night. The game most defiantly feels like they kept the areas small for the crappy consoles. As much as I hate to say that it does seem like a design decision forced by old hardware.

It's not built on old hardware, these games are built on next gen consoles. If anything, it is a limitation on the engine or simply pure laziness.

#39 Posted by BSC14 (3609 posts) -

@BSC14 said:

Well I played for a short time last night. The game most defiantly feels like they kept the areas small for the crappy consoles. As much as I hate to say that it does seem like a design decision forced by old hardware.

It's not built on old hardware, these games are built on next gen consoles. If anything, it is a limitation on the engine or simply pure laziness.

It's also on the 360 and ps3.

#40 Posted by JangoWuzHere (16021 posts) -

@BSC14 said:

@JangoWuzHere said:

@BSC14 said:

Well I played for a short time last night. The game most defiantly feels like they kept the areas small for the crappy consoles. As much as I hate to say that it does seem like a design decision forced by old hardware.

It's not built on old hardware, these games are built on next gen consoles. If anything, it is a limitation on the engine or simply pure laziness.

It's also on the 360 and ps3.

Even so, games from last generation have had bigger areas with less loading screens.

#41 Edited by BattleSpectre (5953 posts) -

Floppidy Flop of the Floppiest Degree. Look ok, March is already getting expensive so I'm glad I don't have to buy this game. Also are we really blaming the consoles for this games failure? Please...

#42 Posted by nutcrackr (12377 posts) -

My first hour with Thief wasn't great, loads of cut scenes in the tutorial mission. But I'm about five hours into it and enjoying it more than I expected. The hub area is structurally similar to deadly shadows and the city actually is a little complex at first so you really should explore a bit and get to understand the layout. The side quests and client jobs are actually enjoyable mini missions (10-20mins). I like the swooping mechanic because I have my walk/run speed on slow, swoop allows me to get behind guards to knock them out. It's true that there are quite a few loading areas, either windows or stacks of crates you walk through, but I wouldn't say it's excessive. If you put up with the loading and small areas deadly shadows or invisible war you will easily manage. I do think that sometimes you spend too much time actually scouring drawers/cupboards and areas to painstakingly pick up every piece of loot. Game looks pretty great though, lovely tessellation effects.

The new thief is doing some different things, some aren't the best but overall I think it's better than some of these scores indicate.

#43 Edited by Qixote (10669 posts) -

I wonder why Ion Storm and now Eidos were unable to make a stealth game without loading zones, and with relatively small, cramped mission areas. There have been countless other types of games that have huge open worlds without these limitations. But as soon as you focus on stealth gaming, it apparently demands that much more system resources. . .? The graphics aren't any really more impressive than other games, so that can't be it. It just doesn't make sense.

The city hub in Deadly Shadows was generally considered a failure, and added no real value to that game. And now the same appears to be true with new Thief. Lesson to next Thief game developer, scrap the city hub. The original games did just wonderful without one.

#44 Edited by SEANMCAD (5464 posts) -

My problem with various game spot reviews/insights by the staff is this.

Dishonored is not a stealing game. Thief is a stealing game.

More over...the 'stated objective of thief' is to re-boot the series, the word re-boot does not imply re-define. If you play Thief 3 and then play thief its a bit hard to argue its not a re-boot.

Also...I dont really think Dishonored is not a AAA game despite gamespots implication that its not

#45 Edited by SEANMCAD (5464 posts) -

@Qixote said:

I wonder why Ion Storm and now Eidos were unable to make a stealth game without loading zones, and with relatively small, cramped mission areas. There have been countless other types of games that have huge open worlds without these limitations. But as soon as you focus on stealth gaming, it apparently demands that much more system resources. . .? The graphics aren't any really more impressive than other games, so that can't be it. It just doesn't make sense.

The city hub in Deadly Shadows was generally considered a failure, and added no real value to that game. And now the same appears to be true with new Thief. Lesson to next Thief game developer, scrap the city hub. The original games did just wonderful without one.

thief 3 was universally considered a great game and got a lot of high reviews from a lot of review sites.

thief, overall, is an exact copy of that game but with a few more features which if released 3 years after thief 3 would have been considered a very good 'next gen' to the thief title.

Now granted this is 10 years later but I have issue that reviewers do not make the point about.

its not just a stealth game. Its a stealing game and specifically its a thief game as in from the series

#46 Posted by Cyberdot (3514 posts) -

I'm honestly not surprised, it's on consoles too. Look at what happened to the Crysis series.

It's a bargain bin game, unfortunately. £2 Steam sale might get me sold.

#47 Edited by Jimmy_Russell (477 posts) -

Giant Bomb seems to be the only one who gave the game a truthful review.

#48 Edited by Qixote (10669 posts) -
@SEANMCAD said:

@Qixote said:

I wonder why Ion Storm and now Eidos were unable to make a stealth game without loading zones, and with relatively small, cramped mission areas. There have been countless other types of games that have huge open worlds without these limitations. But as soon as you focus on stealth gaming, it apparently demands that much more system resources. . .? The graphics aren't any really more impressive than other games, so that can't be it. It just doesn't make sense.

The city hub in Deadly Shadows was generally considered a failure, and added no real value to that game. And now the same appears to be true with new Thief. Lesson to next Thief game developer, scrap the city hub. The original games did just wonderful without one.

thief 3 was universally considered a great game.

You and I live in different universes.

#49 Edited by nutcrackr (12377 posts) -

Sound in the new Thief is not good enough. That's probably my biggest disappointment for it so far. The sound levels are off, the directional audio is barely functioning. Many times enemies walk close by, on stone, and I can't hear them. The have obscenely loud music (when you get spotted) by default, so you know that they really didn't pay enough attention to the sound design.

Birds in the cages detect rapid movement, that's fine. What isn't fine is that they are often obscurely located and make zero noise or movement. I'd imagine that half of the players would only know a bird was around when they accidentally swoop near one. That's just lazy or cheap design.

The other issue I have is that some of the levels are far too gated. Sure there are secret rooms and stuff, but then the game will funnel you down really rigid paths in the chapter missions. The only open layouts so far are the town hubs.

#50 Posted by SEANMCAD (5464 posts) -

@Qixote said:
@SEANMCAD said:

@Qixote said:

I wonder why Ion Storm and now Eidos were unable to make a stealth game without loading zones, and with relatively small, cramped mission areas. There have been countless other types of games that have huge open worlds without these limitations. But as soon as you focus on stealth gaming, it apparently demands that much more system resources. . .? The graphics aren't any really more impressive than other games, so that can't be it. It just doesn't make sense.

The city hub in Deadly Shadows was generally considered a failure, and added no real value to that game. And now the same appears to be true with new Thief. Lesson to next Thief game developer, scrap the city hub. The original games did just wonderful without one.

thief 3 was universally considered a great game.

You and I live in different universes.

are you saying that thief 3 did not get great reviews?

This is what I was referring to