Thief reviews...first ones are in.

• 57 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By BSC14
Member since 2002 • 4187 Posts

Gamespot 6 / 10 http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/thief-review/1900-6415675/

IGN 6.8 http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/02/24/thief-review

Gametrailers 7.5 http://www.gametrailers.com/reviews/t1u5jf/thief-review

Joystiq 4 / 5 stars http://www.joystiq.com/2014/02/24/thief-review-for-the-hoard/

CVG 8 / 10 http://www.computerandvideogames.com/450034/reviews/review-thief-is-a-grifter-but-delivers-some-of-the-goods-review/

Polygon 6 / 10http://www.polygon.com/2014/2/24/5441360/thief-review

And more here: http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/thief

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#2 vfibsux
Member since 2003 • 4497 Posts

Not surprising, another pc classic ruined by cross platforming to the lowest common denominator.

Arthas045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 Arthas045
Member since 2005 • 5800 Posts

Just put down to the average game...............

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By BSC14

@Arthas045 said:

Yeah I'm unsure if I want to buy it at full price or not. With Titanfall out soon I might wait....I don't know. I think I will still enjoy it but it does not look like a must have right now kind of game.

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#6 vfibsux
Member since 2003 • 4497 Posts

@geminontraveler said:

lul flop.

cross platforming/ "lowest common denominator" has nothing to do with it. it was the story, bugs, and technical gripes that are most peoples main complaints, not the gameplay. infact the gameplay is pretty much universally praised.

perhapes pull your console hating head out your ass and actually read what the issues are before making assumptions....

then again, i am talking to vfib... only slightly less retarded than KHandAnime

Keep telling yourself that.

What happened Geminon? Get banned for being your awesome typical self and have to make another account? Hope you have another name ready because you are on your way again. Sorry you cannot discuss issues without calling people retards.

Arthas045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 Arthas045
Member since 2005 • 5800 Posts

@BSC14 said:

@Arthas045 said:

Yeah I'm unsure if I want to buy it at full price or not. With Titanfall out soon I might wait....I don't know. I think I will still enjoy it but it does not look like a must have right now kind of game.

Yeah I will get TitanFall day 1 that is no doubt. This will have to wait until a Steam Sale. I am excited to play the game, but not $60 excited.

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By BSC14

@Arthas045 said:

@BSC14 said:

@Arthas045 said:

Yeah I will get TitanFall day 1 that is no doubt. This will have to wait until a Steam Sale. I am excited to play the game, but not $60 excited.

I liked what I played of Titanfall but I have been playing so much BF4 that I kind of want a break from FPS. That's why I had high hopes for Thief. I don't know.

Avatar image for insane_metalist
insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#9 insane_metalist
Member since 2006 • 7797 Posts

I expected a little better, gonna wait around for a good sale. BF4 is keeping me busy atm.

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#10  Edited By kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

I find these reviews very interesting. I was expecting an average of about 70%.

Some reviews didn't like it that much (Gamepsot and IGN, and more,etc..) but there is also a good amount of people who have enjoyed it as follows:

- PC games = 85%

- Multiplayer.it = 80%

- CVG = 80%

- Game Informer = 80%

- Machinima = 85%

- Joystiq = 80%

- Canadian Online Gamers = 81%

- Euro Gamer Italy = 90%

- LaPS3 = 85%

- Vandal Online = 82%

- God Is Greek = 80%

- Everyeye.it = 80%

- Playstation Universe = 75%

- Gmaetrailers = 75%

- PC Gamer = 79%

- Rock Paper Shotgun = VERY POSITIVE review, they are usually tough on games

- Total Biscuit = VERY Positive review, didn't expect this he is usually very hard on games

Interesting to see the difference of opinion, the average though of 70%-72% or what ever is pretty much what I was expecting, nice to see Total Biscuit and Rock Paper Shotgun enjoy it though as those are two of the hardest review places around. Interested to try this myself and see if its any good.

udUbdaWgz1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#12 udUbdaWgz1
Member since 2014 • 633 Posts

question for you pc modders: can you guys fix bad a.i. and replace it with an unbelievably great system?

or, is that kind of overhaul too difficulty?

would such improvements require higher-end pc's?

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#13  Edited By Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

Just watched Adam Sesslers review and TotalBiscuits WTF and I have to say that it looks like I'll wait till it's on sale. Seems like a decent game though.

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts

Pretty bad scores all around really. Couple of trash sites giving it 9/10 but the rest around 7s. Kinda regret buying it, but still want to try it out for myself.

The tagline of one of the reviews "dishonored without the fun bits" makes me cringe

mastershake575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 mastershake575
Member since 2007 • 8574 Posts

Looks like I'll wait for a good flash/summer sale for this one

dethtrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By dethtrain
Member since 2004 • 570 Posts

@BSC14 said:

@Arthas045 said:

I just preordered it for about $33. I think I'll enjoy the game. I like stealth games for the most part and it seems like a lot of the gripes in the reviews have to do with poor story telling, some linear level designs (with the main story missions only I think), sound bugs and not being able to "free run" like in dishonored/assassin's creed or any other game using "parkour". I wouldn't have paid $50 though.

And it seems like BOTH consoles are sucking hard in terms of performance and bugs.

Cwagmire21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Cwagmire21
Member since 2007 • 5896 Posts

Maybe I'm just cynical, but it looks like it turned out better than I expected. Definitely a lot of mixed reviews. If you're still interested in the game, I'd read/watch several reviews before purchasing as there are many elements of the game that some people love and some people hate. You'll have to decide which way you fall.

Me personally, I probably won't consider getting it until it hits $5. The backlog is just too big.

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 BSC14

I think I'm gonna get it. I don't expect it to be perfect but it looks good to me. I'll decide tonight...maybe preload it.

ShimmerMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#19  Edited By ShimmerMan
Member since 2008 • 4634 Posts

Good job devs, they're saving me loadsamoney by continuing to make s***y video games.

blangenakker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 blangenakker
Member since 2006 • 3240 Posts

Perhaps the game could benefit from a playable demo

slateman_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 slateman_basic
Member since 2002 • 4142 Posts

Disappointing but not unsurprising.

Qixote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Qixote
Member since 2002 • 10843 Posts

@slateman_basic said:

Disappointing but not unsurprising.

So, you're surprised then . . .?

Jd1680a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#23 Jd1680a
Member since 2005 • 5960 Posts

Thief did get a rating for 79/100 on metacritic. Its the kind of score either you like it or you don't. I am still planning on getting it this weekend.

yngsten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 yngsten
Member since 2011 • 463 Posts

@BSC14 said:

@Arthas045 said:

Don't do it, buy it when it's on sale. Developers need to learn not to revive a franchise and let it sell on the name only. If we want revived franchises to be good, don't buy 'em full price when they're not.

Croag821

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Croag821
Member since 2009 • 2331 Posts

@vfibsux said:

Not surprising, another pc classic ruined by cross platforming to the lowest common denominator.

I agree it sucks to see great games dumbed down, but it's not consoles faults, it's just gamers in general.

You may view PC gamers as having better taste but every new CoD/AAA remake still seems to top the Steam sales for weeks-months.

Gaming isn't just for the hardcore anymore, and unfortunately developers are willing to sacrifice what made their games special for more sales.

Gallowhand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 9

#26 Gallowhand
Member since 2013 • 697 Posts

I think I'll wait in the shadows for a while, for the inevitable bug fixes and a price drop.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

God damn. What a fucking shame. That will teach me not to preorder a digital copy of a game. =\

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19564 Posts

I'd cancelled my pre-order earlier in the week, but I jumped back on board after reading some of the reviews.

The reviews suggest that, if you can get past the fact that it's the worst game in the series (with a terrible storyline, derivative missions and many other flaws), it's actually a decent game underneath. I'm going in with the lowest expectations, so it can't be all bad!

alan_carter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 alan_carter
Member since 2009 • 1404 Posts

If they stopped making lame games with flashy effects and screen blur, old ones wouldn't feel dated.

IncisionX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -3

#31 IncisionX
Member since 2004 • 208 Posts

I'm a little bit gutted but I'm not at all surprised, every video so far has looked incredibly average and although I appreciate Thief started it, Dishonoured does everything better.

I'll still buy it in a steam sale though I enjoy stealth <3

//IncisionX

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 BSC14

Sounds like the big mistake was making it somewhat linear. I don't understand why they would have done that....should have just made an open map with multiple ways of getting in and out and let people do it however they like. Bummer...

mismajor99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#33 mismajor99
Member since 2003 • 5671 Posts

I read through Rockpapershotgun's Wot I think, and I gave it a go.

45 bucks on Steam for a series I've always enjoyed, and with not much else to play besides some MMO's.

Just looking for a fun Thief game and from what RPS had to say, it's definitely that to some extent.

mismajor99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#34  Edited By mismajor99
Member since 2003 • 5671 Posts

@Planeforger said:

I'd cancelled my pre-order earlier in the week, but I jumped back on board after reading some of the reviews.

The reviews suggest that, if you can get past the fact that it's the worst game in the series (with a terrible storyline, derivative missions and many other flaws), it's actually a decent game underneath. I'm going in with the lowest expectations, so it can't be all bad!

That's what I'm thinking as well. I am gonna jump in as soon as I get home from work today. All pre-loaded up.

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By BSC14

Well I played for a short time last night. The game most defiantly feels like they kept the areas small for the crappy consoles. As much as I hate to say that it does seem like a design decision forced by old hardware. That said I do enjoy the game and look forward to playing it more. I'm not a fan of the story this far but if I were being completely honest it's not that important to me anyway. Graphics are pretty decent and sound is good though I did turn off the music because I found it so amazingly annoying and intrusive to the gameplay / surrounding sounds. So far I think deadly shadows was a bit better but I'm not far enough into the game to say for sure. Being that I got it for $37 I'm not too disappointed...I think it will be worth that.

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

The game is very very pretty at least and runs really well too

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#37 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

These scores are rock-solid. I could understand that some people will deem these ratings as insubstantial. If you feel that way, you should at least rent it on a console if you have access and try it first. On top of that, I believe the nine-year gap between Deadly Shadows and the "new" Thief game set the expectations really high for some. Although I'm not arguing some of the game's questionable level design. It's definitely open for discussion.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

@BSC14 said:

Well I played for a short time last night. The game most defiantly feels like they kept the areas small for the crappy consoles. As much as I hate to say that it does seem like a design decision forced by old hardware.

It's not built on old hardware, these games are built on next gen consoles. If anything, it is a limitation on the engine or simply pure laziness.

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 BSC14

@JangoWuzHere said:

@BSC14 said:

Well I played for a short time last night. The game most defiantly feels like they kept the areas small for the crappy consoles. As much as I hate to say that it does seem like a design decision forced by old hardware.

It's not built on old hardware, these games are built on next gen consoles. If anything, it is a limitation on the engine or simply pure laziness.

It's also on the 360 and ps3.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

@BSC14 said:

@JangoWuzHere said:

@BSC14 said:

It's also on the 360 and ps3.

Even so, games from last generation have had bigger areas with less loading screens.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

Floppidy Flop of the Floppiest Degree. Look ok, March is already getting expensive so I'm glad I don't have to buy this game. Also are we really blaming the consoles for this games failure? Please...

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 nutcrackr

My first hour with Thief wasn't great, loads of cut scenes in the tutorial mission. But I'm about five hours into it and enjoying it more than I expected. The hub area is structurally similar to deadly shadows and the city actually is a little complex at first so you really should explore a bit and get to understand the layout. The side quests and client jobs are actually enjoyable mini missions (10-20mins). I like the swooping mechanic because I have my walk/run speed on slow, swoop allows me to get behind guards to knock them out. It's true that there are quite a few loading areas, either windows or stacks of crates you walk through, but I wouldn't say it's excessive. If you put up with the loading and small areas deadly shadows or invisible war you will easily manage. I do think that sometimes you spend too much time actually scouring drawers/cupboards and areas to painstakingly pick up every piece of loot. Game looks pretty great though, lovely tessellation effects.

The new thief is doing some different things, some aren't the best but overall I think it's better than some of these scores indicate.

Qixote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Qixote

I wonder why Ion Storm and now Eidos were unable to make a stealth game without loading zones, and with relatively small, cramped mission areas. There have been countless other types of games that have huge open worlds without these limitations. But as soon as you focus on stealth gaming, it apparently demands that much more system resources. . .? The graphics aren't any really more impressive than other games, so that can't be it. It just doesn't make sense.

The city hub in Deadly Shadows was generally considered a failure, and added no real value to that game. And now the same appears to be true with new Thief. Lesson to next Thief game developer, scrap the city hub. The original games did just wonderful without one.

Cyberdot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Cyberdot
Member since 2013 • 3928 Posts

I'm honestly not surprised, it's on consoles too. Look at what happened to the Crysis series.

It's a bargain bin game, unfortunately. £2 Steam sale might get me sold.

Qixote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Qixote
@SEANMCAD said:

@Qixote said:

I wonder why Ion Storm and now Eidos were unable to make a stealth game without loading zones, and with relatively small, cramped mission areas. There have been countless other types of games that have huge open worlds without these limitations. But as soon as you focus on stealth gaming, it apparently demands that much more system resources. . .? The graphics aren't any really more impressive than other games, so that can't be it. It just doesn't make sense.

The city hub in Deadly Shadows was generally considered a failure, and added no real value to that game. And now the same appears to be true with new Thief. Lesson to next Thief game developer, scrap the city hub. The original games did just wonderful without one.

thief 3 was universally considered a great game.

You and I live in different universes.

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By nutcrackr

Sound in the new Thief is not good enough. That's probably my biggest disappointment for it so far. The sound levels are off, the directional audio is barely functioning. Many times enemies walk close by, on stone, and I can't hear them. The have obscenely loud music (when you get spotted) by default, so you know that they really didn't pay enough attention to the sound design.

Birds in the cages detect rapid movement, that's fine. What isn't fine is that they are often obscurely located and make zero noise or movement. I'd imagine that half of the players would only know a bird was around when they accidentally swoop near one. That's just lazy or cheap design.

The other issue I have is that some of the levels are far too gated. Sure there are secret rooms and stuff, but then the game will funnel you down really rigid paths in the chapter missions. The only open layouts so far are the town hubs.