Thief Reboot Jumbo Thread - Story Trailer - (56K take a walk)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

User Lists: 0

#1 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts

The Official Mega Thread for Thief, developed by Eidos Montreal 

Official Release Date: 2014

Some new media material: 

Q&A Session - Take 5

http://sneakybastards.net/theobserver/thief-hands-on/

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/125399-Thief-Project-Lead-Says-a-New-Game-Needs-New-Combat

10 Minute Play Through Video From E3 - Gamespot 

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/7h5jx0/thief-e3-2013--stealth-gameplay-demo--stream-

New PC Gamer Preview - May 18th 2013

Thief reboot impeded by office politics, high-level departures

Computer and Video Game Interview

Eidos' pledge! The PC version is extremely important 

Behind-the-scenes at Eidos Montreal

Teaser Trailer

Podcast

Facebook Page 

Replacing Stephen Russell with Romano Orzari (from Assassins Creed 2) as Garrett 

The Younger Hipper Garrett! (New voice actor introduced, includes video)

First Gamespot Preview - Hands-off - 

IGN First Preview

Rock, Paper, Shotgun Preview

Eurogamer Preview

Softpedia Article

Techhive Preview

Computer and Video Games Preview

----------------------------------------------------

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5WJmGtHeoU

2K13-Apr-4-Thief-Screenshot-002-copy-610

2K13-Apr-4-Thief-Screenshot-003-copy-610

2K13-Apr-4-Thief-Screenshot-005-copy-610

2K13-Apr-4-Thief-Screenshot-011-copy-610

2K13-Apr-4-Thief-Screenshot-012-copy-610

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 biggest_loser

Game Informer details. Someone from System Wars found these points, thanks Nintendo_Ownes7

I've highlighted the bad stuff. 

AI

- Garrett isnt a fighter
- Fighting against four or more guards in combat wont go well
- Guards and other NPCs are aware of the level design, so they know where a person might try to hide
- Guards understand the topography of the level and which areas could be useful for hiding
- Different NPCs will look for Garrett in different ways

Gameplay mechanics

- Navigation beacon shows players where to go
- Dev. team wants players to explore environments as they see fit
- Multiple entrances and exists in each room
- Multiple options available for stealth approach
- Focus mechanic: has many uses, including being able to aid Garretts vision as he navigates through open levels
- Focus lights up the screen and highlights pipes you can climb + candles you can put out to make the room darker
- Can upgrade Focus
- Doing so will give you a bigger radius of things to see
- Fingerpints system: gives you hints on which drawers are best to look in
- Every drawer is accessible
- Can pickpocket
- Use Focus while pickpocketing to slow time and swipe up to three times as many items from others
- Can spend money to upgrade supplies and equipment at the end of each mission
- Various artifacts are scattered throughout the games levels
- Can use these to decorate Garretts hideout
- Garrett is motivated by the thrill of stealing something that others cant take
- Focus will show a number of attack points on enemies
- Can select a point (like the chest) to do a quick push that will buy him more time to dash off into the shadows
- Can also string together a number of points to perform a more debilitating attack
- Team is trying to find a balance between making combat enjoyable and allowing players to enter combat if they want
- Major mechanics are in place

Tools

- Blackjack: use when sneaking up behind guards to knock them unconscious
- Bow: powerful, can be used outside of combat (ex: fire at a bottle in another room to lure a guard away, trigger a switch to lock the guard inside)
- Specialty Arrows: different uses; dry-ice arrow can be used to snuff flames from far away; smoke-starter arrow: cover and a distraction
- Claw: grapple attaches to certain points

General

- Garrett design made by game director Nicolas Cantin
- Garretts scar represents that his past has left long-lasting effects on his life
- Eidos being vague about how faithful the team is remaining to the original Thief lore
- Many of the series magical elements will be toned down
- Eidos-Montreal compares game development to a high-speed train collision between art and technology.
- Team was kept small and stayed within the concept phase of development for a longer period of time.
- The staff experimented with featuring a new character, making it a third-person game involving either tactical gameplay or environmental clambering (like Assassins Creed)
- At one point in development, the game had so many third-to-first-person transitions that the constant camera shifting was making people sick.
- Many experiments during first three years of development

Part of the reason why I was cautious about this series entering this generation or the next is because I figured they'd tried to make Thief "hip" and there it is with focus. Focus crutches and an emphasis on combat. 

For those who haven't played Thief, it is a game where everything is stripped back. There are no onscreen hints or gamey mechanics. Its totally immersive so you just reply on the shadows and your map. You're not meant to engage in combat. You're a thief not a murderer as one of the old games says.  

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#3 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

Hope it turns out good

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
i dig his new design, and welcome the addition of climbing, which was a must for me. the info blowout makes it sound like fighting and "offensive stealth" will be viable options, which i don't dig. "fighting against four or more guards in combat won't go well"? does that mean 3 or less is fine? and his ability to slow down time to aim at specific spots in the enemy, like the sherlock holmes from the movies... ugh. overall, seems promising.
bussinrounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 bussinrounds
Member since 2009 • 3324 Posts

Navigation beacon shows players where to go

biggest_loser

**** this world

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10435 Posts

Game Informer details. Someone from System Wars found these points, thanks Nintendo_Ownes7

[spoiler]

I've highlighted the bad stuff. 

AI

- Garrett isnt a fighter
- Fighting against four or more guards in combat wont go well
- Guards and other NPCs are aware of the level design, so they know where a person might try to hide
- Guards understand the topography of the level and which areas could be useful for hiding
- Different NPCs will look for Garrett in different ways

Gameplay mechanics

- Navigation beacon shows players where to go
- Dev. team wants players to explore environments as they see fit
- Multiple entrances and exists in each room
- Multiple options available for stealth approach
- Focus mechanic: has many uses, including being able to aid Garretts vision as he navigates through open levels
- Focus lights up the screen and highlights pipes you can climb + candles you can put out to make the room darker
- Can upgrade Focus
- Every drawer is accessible
- Can pickpocket
- Use Focus while pickpocketing to slow time and swipe up to three times as many items from others
- Can spend money to upgrade supplies and equipment at the end of each mission
- Various artifacts are scattered throughout the games levels
- Garrett is motivated by the thrill of stealing something that others cant take
- Can select a point (like the chest) to do a quick push that will buy him more time to dash off into the shadows
- Can also string together a number of points to perform a more debilitating attack
- Team is trying to find a balance between making combat enjoyable and allowing players to enter combat if they want
- Major mechanics are in place

Tools

- Blackjack: use when sneaking up behind guards to knock them unconscious
- Bow: powerful, can be used outside of combat (ex: fire at a bottle in another room to lure a guard away, trigger a switch to lock the guard inside)
- Specialty Arrows: different uses; dry-ice arrow can be used to snuff flames from far away; smoke-starter arrow: cover and a distraction
- Claw: grapple attaches to certain points

General

- Garrett design made by game director Nicolas Cantin
- Garretts scar represents that his past has left long-lasting effects on his life
- Eidos being vague about how faithful the team is remaining to the original Thief lore
- Many of the series magical elements will be toned down
- Eidos-Montreal compares game development to a high-speed train collision between art and technology.
- Team was kept small and stayed within the concept phase of development for a longer period of time.
- The staff experimented with featuring a new character, making it a third-person game involving either tactical gameplay or environmental clambering (like Assassins Creed)
- At one point in development, the game had so many third-to-first-person transitions that the constant camera shifting was making people sick.
- Many experiments during first three years of development

Part of the reason why I was cautious about this series entering this generation or the next is because I figured they'd tried to make Thief "hip" and there it is with focus. Focus crutches and an emphasis on combat. 

For those who haven't played Thief, it is a game where everything is stripped back. There are no onscreen hints or gamey mechanics. Its totally immersive so you just reply on the shadows and your map. You're not meant to engage in combat. You're a thief not a murderer as one of the old games says.  

[/spoiler]

biggest_loser

sounds good from the description and one of the few games i'm really looking forward to. looks like dishonored a bit from the screen shots. hope it doesn't follow the same fate of the splinter cell and hitman games

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 biggest_loser

[QUOTE="biggest_loser"]

bussinrounds

**** this world

I missed that one. Wow. Are they serious?
Grimlim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8 Grimlim
Member since 2011 • 230 Posts

- Can upgrade Focus

biggest_loser

Agreed for the most part, I can see focus being more of an annoying mechanic than a fun-to-use one. I dont see whats wrong with the hide-out, doesn't really affect the game and can be used as a cool rewards system. The combat has me most worried, as I don't want it to be an action game. Deus Ex was really fun until I got the dragontoothsword and could just run through killing everyone.

Focus reminds me of VATS from fallout, which i hated. Hope they make it an enjoyable mechanic

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 BrunoBRS
[QUOTE="bussinrounds"]

[QUOTE="biggest_loser"]

biggest_loser

**** this world

I missed that one. Wow. Are they serious?

i think they mean the glowy ball thing from one of the screenshots, which, best case scenario, is just a compass, and worst case scenario is a full fledged 3D GPS.
CBN16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 CBN16
Member since 2012 • 407 Posts

I knew you would be the one to post about the new Thief game. I don't blame you. They're awesome. :lol:

I love the new visuals.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 biggest_loser

Agreed for the most part, I can see focus being more of an annoying mechanic than a fun-to-use one. I dont see whats wrong with the hide-out, doesn't really affect the game and can be used as a cool rewards system. The combat has me most worried, as I don't want it to be an action game. Deus Ex was really fun until I got the dragontoothsword and could just run through killing everyone.

Focus reminds me of VATS from fallout, which i hated. Hope they make it an enjoyable mechanic

Grimlim

Well with the hideout thing, if you've played the other games, Garrett can barely pay his rent. Thats all he steals for so he can pay off his debts. Decorating and making your hideout more elaborate isn't exactly being inconspicuous. Thats something you'd find in Assassin's Creed. 

Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Baranga
Member since 2005 • 14217 Posts

The digital edition of Game Informer is up, you can buy it on Zinio or from their own website.

i think they mean the glowy ball thing from one of the screenshots, which, best case scenario, is just a compass, and worst case scenario is a full fledged 3D GPS.BrunoBRS

That's the medallion he steals in the demo mission.

I don't mind mechanics like focus as long as they're supported by the game's fiction. Garrett has a mechanical eye and magic is present in the world, so as far as I'm concerned they can give him a Google VR display and I won't complain.

However I'll be very disappointed if the fingerprints thing doesn't involve powder and brushes.

Water arrows always bothered me, it's good to see them replaced by dry ice arrows.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 BrunoBRS

The digital edition of Game Informer is up, you can buy it on Zinio or from their own website.

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]i think they mean the glowy ball thing from one of the screenshots, which, best case scenario, is just a compass, and worst case scenario is a full fledged 3D GPS.Baranga

I don't mind mechanics like focus as long as they're supported by the game's fiction. Garrett has a mechanical eye and magic is present in the world, so as far as I'm concerned they can give him a Google VR display and I won't complain.

However I'll be very disappointed if the fingerprints thing doesn't involve powder and brushes.

Water arrows always bothered me, it's good to see them replaced by dry ice arrows.

well i've seen no demo, so when i see a compass-looking glowy thing, i assume it's a magic compass :P
II-Siamak-II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 II-Siamak-II
Member since 2012 • 480 Posts

So one thing I would like to know as I never played any Thief game before, is this game going to be first person or third person?

Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Baranga

So one thing I would like to know as I never played any Thief game before, is this game going to be first person or third person?

II-Siamak-II

First. It may have some transitions to third person, the article isn't clear about that.

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 BSC14
Member since 2002 • 4187 Posts

Cool, I love the thief games....looking forward to it.

KodiakKoolaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 KodiakKoolaid
Member since 2012 • 443 Posts
is it pure stealth or can we defend ourselves like in Dishonoured?
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 BrunoBRS
is it pure stealth or can we defend ourselves like in Dishonoured?KodiakKoolaid
in the other games, you could try your luck against one guard, but it would leave you injured, and any more than that and you risk death.
biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 biggest_loser

Baranga

He does have a mechanical eye and there are magic and gadgets but the series has always been paired back in terms of onscreen mechanics and visual aids. The most drastic has been the loot glint but why do they think they need highlights to show people torches that can be extinguished? 

Inside the fiction or not, it spoils the immersion.  

Qixote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Qixote
Member since 2002 • 10843 Posts
is it pure stealth or can we defend ourselves like in Dishonoured?KodiakKoolaid
If you are good at stealth, you would not need to defend yourself. Sadly, this message got lost in the past 12 years.
Qixote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Qixote

On a positive note, at least it looks like Garrett has learned how to climb ropes again. 

Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Baranga

He does have a mechanical eye and there are magic and gadgets but the series has always been paired back in terms of onscreen mechanics and visual aids. The most drastic has been the loot glint but why do they think they need highlights to show people torches that can be extinguished? 

biggest_loser

I may be missing something here but all I see in the focus screenshot in the magazine is that drawers and candles are blue. It looks a lot like Riddick's eyeshine. I guess it just paints all interactive objects blue.

Now here's the weird part: Eidos is still tuning the mechanic, but currently stealing objects in the environment and pickpocketing helps refill this resource.

PernicioEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 PernicioEnigma
Member since 2010 • 6662 Posts
Screens like quite nice. I don't like the sound of those focus abilities or the beacon telling you where to go. I don't mind if they implement a decent combat system, provided the stealth gameplay is very good and you're not forced into situations where you must fight/kill. I am nervous about this game simply because the industry as a whole is moving away from the sorts of games the original Thief games were, and more towards the non-stop action, instant gratification kind of thing.
Gooeykat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#24 Gooeykat
Member since 2006 • 3412 Posts
Steampunk, eh? Looks cool, like the comic book style.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 BrunoBRS

[QUOTE="biggest_loser"]

Baranga

I may be missing something here but all I see in the focus screenshot in the magazine is that drawers and candles are blue. It looks a lot like Riddick's eyeshine. I guess it just paints all interactive objects blue.

Now here's the weird part: Eidos is still tuning the mechanic, but currently stealing objects in the environment and pickpocketing helps refill this resource.

if you use it, you pickpocket up to 3x more stuff, because slow motion or something.
Morphic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26 Morphic
Member since 2003 • 4345 Posts

Definitly have high hopes that it does well. Thief series is without a doubt one of my all time fav games. First time I played THief 2 i was blown away

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#27 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
Looks badass..... wow... this goes right up there with The Witcher 3, Bioshock Infinite, Dead State, among the top games that I want badly right now haha.
Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

The focus mode is the only thing I don't like so far. Everything else seems awesome

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#29 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts
Hopefully we can Blink our way past guards.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-59b71619573a1

Hopefully we can Blink our way past guards. nutcrackr

Fvck no :?

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

[QUOTE="Grimlim"]

biggest_loser

Well with the hideout thing, if you've played the other games, Garrett can barely pay his rent. Thats all he steals for so he can pay off his debts. Decorating and making your hideout more elaborate isn't exactly being inconspicuous. Thats something you'd find in Assassin's Creed. 

It's not a rehash, I'm expecting changes in the character and world.

Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Baranga

[QUOTE="Baranga"]

[QUOTE="biggest_loser"]

BrunoBRS

if you use it, you pickpocket up to 3x more stuff, because slow motion or something.

It's annoying how vague the article is. I really don't understand some things described here:(

I noticed the Destiny preview is just as crappy - they waste so much space saying that maybe perhaps it could be a possibility that the player appears to aim down the sights... Terrible journalism. It feels like they're vague on purpose so people won't be upset at them or the developer when something is changed. So the preview ends up being sort of useless.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 JangoWuzHere

[QUOTE="KodiakKoolaid"]is it pure stealth or can we defend ourselves like in Dishonoured?Qixote
If you are good at stealth, you would not need to defend yourself. Sadly, this message got lost in the past 12 years.

Yeah, it's called good game design. No one likes getting caught and just simply losing. 

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 nutcrackr

[QUOTE="nutcrackr"]Hopefully we can Blink our way past guards. seanmcloughlin

Return your sarcasm meter, it's broken
Qixote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Qixote

[QUOTE="Qixote"][QUOTE="KodiakKoolaid"]is it pure stealth or can we defend ourselves like in Dishonoured?JangoWuzHere

Yeah, it's called good game design. No one likes getting caught and just simply losing. 

Speak for yourself. I like a good challenge, and not requiring handholding to get me through.  Fans seemed to dig it with the original.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 deactivated-59b71619573a1

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

[QUOTE="nutcrackr"]Hopefully we can Blink our way past guards. nutcrackr

Return your sarcasm meter, it's broken

Even as Sarcasm, Fvck no. Don't even joke about that sh!t yo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 deactivated-59b71619573a1

[QUOTE="Qixote"][QUOTE="KodiakKoolaid"]is it pure stealth or can we defend ourselves like in Dishonoured?JangoWuzHere

You're a Thief, stealth should be your only means. Maybe distract guards or stun to get away, but never stand and fight a bunch of dudes

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 JangoWuzHere

[QUOTE="JangoWuzHere"]

[QUOTE="Qixote"] If you are good at stealth, you would not need to defend yourself. Sadly, this message got lost in the past 12 years.Qixote

Speak for yourself. I like a good challenge, and not requiring handholding to get me through.  Fans seemed to dig it with the original.

The original game came out more then 10 years ago. I don't understand how being able to fight your way out of a mistake equals handholding.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 biggest_loser

[QUOTE="biggest_loser"]

[QUOTE="Grimlim"]

JangoWuzHere

It's not a rehash, I'm expecting changes in the character and world.

I'm sorry but just because a game holds true to the essence of its series and what differentiates itself from all other games doesn't make it a rehash. Given its been 9 years since the last game and we've had nothing like Thief since the first one, this wouldn't be anywhere near a rehash if it was the same.
JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 JangoWuzHere

[QUOTE="JangoWuzHere"]

[QUOTE="Qixote"] If you are good at stealth, you would not need to defend yourself. Sadly, this message got lost in the past 12 years.seanmcloughlin

You're a Thief, stealth should be your only means. Maybe distract guards or stun to get away, but never stand and fight a bunch of dudes

"Fighting against four or more guards in combat wont go well"

I can accept that, but if I get caught by one or two dudes, I don't wanna just lose...I wanna fight. 

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 biggest_loser

[QUOTE="Qixote"]

[QUOTE="JangoWuzHere"]

JangoWuzHere

The original game came out more then 10 years ago. I don't understand how being able to fight your way out of a mistake equals handholding.

Because the game is about pure sneaking. It shouldn't give you a leg up in fighting guards by showing you weaknesses or making combat more accessible. That would only encourage people to divert from the stealth if they find it too tough. You're a thief and you're not meant to make noise or be detected. Imagine if they develop a combat system and people just fight their way through levels and can then run through and steal whatever they want. It'd be a disaster.
nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 nutcrackr
In the original thief you could still finish levels when you were detected on Normal difficulty. It was just sometimes harder because things would escalate pretty fast. For example sword combat worked fairly well but you'd need a few strikes against enemies to kill them and you probably attract the attention of nearby guards, some firing arrows. Game should not be over when you are detected, game should not be over when you are spotted. Most important is the fuzzy AI between oblivious and alert. After that you need to be able to escape in the shadows and have AI look for you and then give up. If it comes to combat, or arrows from a distance, You should still be able to win, just make it harder I hope the default state is stealth and only action when things go bad and this can lead to death much easier. Sadly I'm not sure any game can be like that anymore. The best we might get is an even split between stealth and action.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 BrunoBRS

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

[QUOTE="JangoWuzHere"]

JangoWuzHere

I can accept that, but if I get caught by one or two dudes, I don't wanna just lose...I wanna fight. 

if you get caught by one or two dudes, you should run away. if you can just kill them, why bother hiding in the first place?
JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 JangoWuzHere

[QUOTE="JangoWuzHere"]

[QUOTE="Qixote"]Speak for yourself. I like a good challenge, and not requiring handholding to get me through.  Fans seemed to dig it with the original.

biggest_loser

Because the game is about pure sneaking. It shouldn't give you a leg up in fighting guards by showing you weaknesses or making combat more accessible. That would only encourage people to divert from the stealth if they find it too tough. You're a thief and you're not meant to make noise or be detected. Imagine if they develop a combat system and people just fight their way through levels and can then run through and steal whatever they want. It'd be a disaster.

I don't see the problem of allowing multiple play styles. And everything you just said will probably be in the final game as well. I doubt a big budget game like this will only appeal to people who like pure stealth and little combat action.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 JangoWuzHere

[QUOTE="JangoWuzHere"]

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

BrunoBRS

if you get caught by one or two dudes, you should run away. if you can just kill them, why bother hiding in the first place?

If you get caught, then it should make stealth harder. It should also make fighting harder as there will likely be more dudes and they will be more alert. I don't mind being punished for my mistakes, but I don't like getting caught and losing. I rarely like those kinds of stealth games.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 BrunoBRS

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"][QUOTE="JangoWuzHere"]

JangoWuzHere

If you get caught, then it makes stealth harder. It also makes fighting harder as there will likely be more dudes and they will be more alert. I don't mind being punished for my mistakes, but I don't like getting caught and losing. I rarely like those kinds of stealth games.

you don't lose until you die. lose your pursuers and get back to doing your job. you're not some master swordsman that can take down trained, armored guards, at least you shouldn't be.
biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 biggest_loser

I don't see the problem of allowing multiple play styles. And everything you just said will probably be in the final game as well. I doubt a big budget game like this will only appeal to people who like pure stealth and little combat action.

JangoWuzHere

Thats what people don't understand about Thief. 

Its only meant to have one play styIe. Its one of the few pure stealth games ever made.

You're not meant to engage in combat. Some difficulties restrict you from killing people all together. Its called "Thief" for a reason. You steal, thats all. 

All you're meant to do is stick to the shadows and avoid combat. Thats the thrill of the game and why its revolutionary - avoiding danger rather than engaging in it.

Its the thought of being caught that makes it amazing. Its like the difference between a horror movie that shows you a lot of gore all the time or something that restricts the horror for a long period. 

I don't care what the masses like. Call of Duty is at the top of the charts but that doesn't equate to quality.

Here is a chance to make something again thats different from all other games...bar its incredible predecessors.  

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 deactivated-59b71619573a1

[QUOTE="biggest_loser"][QUOTE="JangoWuzHere"]

JangoWuzHere

Because not having serious risks for getting caught means people won't play the game as stealthily. You will just say "Fvck it" and kill everyon, that's what happened with Dishonored.

Too many games are trying to be "everything" simulators and they never stick to one style of gameplay anymore and it's very frustrating. Thief has always been about pure stealth and I would hate to see it bow down to pressure and make it a "Play it this way or this way or this way" type of game. 

Focus on stealth, do it right and do it well and people will love you for it and buy your game. try to be something you're not and people will do the opposite. That's what killed Dead Space.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 deactivated-59b71619573a1

[QUOTE="JangoWuzHere"]

biggest_loser

Its only meant to have one play styIe. Its one of the few pure stealth games ever made.

You're not meant to engage in combat. Some difficulties restrict you from killing people all together. Its called "Thief" for a reason. You steal, thats all. 

All you're meant to do is stick to the shadows and avoid combat. Thats the thrill of the game and why its revolutionary - avoiding danger rather than engaging in it.

Its the thought of being caught that makes it amazing. Its like the difference between a horror movie that shows you a lot of gore all the time or something that restricts the horror for a long period. 

I don't care what the masses like. Call of Duty is at the top of the charts but that doesn't equate to quality.

Here is a chance to make something again thats different from all other games...bar its incredible predecessors.  

Also it's such a fvcking awesome feeling when you sneak in, steal and sneak out without anyone knowing you ever stepped foot inside. It's very thrilling and knowing that getting caught meant almost certain death amped up that exhilaration. 

If you don't understand these points then the game is not for you, simple as. I don't my games ruined just because someone else doesn't like them. 

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 JangoWuzHere

[QUOTE="biggest_loser"]

[QUOTE="JangoWuzHere"]

seanmcloughlin

If you don't understand these points then the game is not for you, simple as. I don't my games ruined just because someone else doesn't like them. 

Its probably not going to happen. Even Deus Ex: HR had to cop out and add mechanics that most hardcore fans despised.