Thief - 6 minute Trailer

This topic is locked from further discussion.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/gamenews.php?id=114390

I never played the originals but I love Dishonored and this looks good to me.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12809 Posts

Well if you love the whole Dishonored, Dark Messiah gameplay and didn't get tired of it yet, this is pretty good game for you

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#3  Edited By biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts

Its a slick trailer. What I disagree with though is giving the player a choice on their play style. Thief isn't about that. Its not Splinter Cell or whatever where you choose how to play. The beauty of the series has been in its simplicity, where there is only one way to play the game and that's through sneaking. That's why the stealth mechanics have been so strong because they're the entire focus. Showing multiple kills with the bow and setting guards on fire is not Thief.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#4 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

It "looks" good.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 FelipeInside

@biggest_loser said:

Its a slick trailer. What I disagree with though is giving the player a choice on their play style. Thief isn't about that. Its not Splinter Cell or whatever where you choose how to play. The beauty of the series has been in its simplicity, where there is only one way to play the game and that's through sneaking. That's why the stealth mechanics have been so strong because they're the entire focus. Showing multiple kills with the bow and setting guards on fire is not Thief.

But gaming has changed, gamers want CHOICE now (that's the word I hear quite often from the crowd). I bet if they did it all stealth then people would complain about "lack of choice".

I think this way the gamer has the option of going either way, so it caters for both stealth gamers and action gamers.

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By BSC14
Member since 2002 • 4187 Posts

@biggest_loser said:

Well you don't HAVE to play that way, it's just an option.

Thief fans can be pretty hardcore and nostalgia gets the better of them a lot of times. I loved the old Thief games and from the looks of it I'll love this one too...it doesn't have to be the same game as the old ones. Besides you can play the way you like....

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#7 mjorh
Member since 2011 • 6749 Posts

Haven't played the originals but this looks pretty cool aside from graphics ...

bussinrounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 bussinrounds
Member since 2009 • 3324 Posts

@FelipeInside said:

Thief 1 & 2 are the best stealth games ever made. If the genre interests you at all, you're doing a serious disservice to yourself by not playing these gems.

Being able to fight your way out of things too easily if discovered, will kill all the tension. That's not Thief. If you're confronted by more than 1 guy, you should be in an uphill battle if you try to fight. Your character is really just a normal guy (that steals) not some super fighting machine.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 FelipeInside

@bussinrounds said:

@FelipeInside said:

Thief 1 & 2 are the best stealth games ever made. If the genre interests you at all, you're doing a serious disservice to yourself by not playing these gems.

Being able to fight your way out of things too easily if discovered, will kill all the tension. That's not Thief. If you're confronted by more than 1 guy, you should be in an uphill battle if you try to fight. Your character is really just a normal guy (that steals) not some super fighting machine.

I remember trying one of the older Thiefs once and for some reason it just was too dark for me, as in visually dark where I couldn't see what I was doing.

Maybe it was a monitor or graphics settings but oh well.

bussinrounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 bussinrounds

Well recently, Thief 2 (and System Shock 2) got unofficial patches that ...."bring a huge number of visual improvements, such as windowed mode, widescreen resolutions, 32-bit color, improved textures,models and much more, while at the same time boosting their overall performance and stability They also massively improve on the original engines and renders"

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/09/26/hooray-system-shock-2-thief-2-get-usability-patches/

darksusperia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 darksusperia
Member since 2004 • 6945 Posts

going to fence sit this one.

looks like they took the choices from splinter cell/dishonored and merged them.

Gallowhand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 9

#12 Gallowhand
Member since 2013 • 697 Posts

I'll wait for some decent gameplay footage and reviews before deciding on whether to get Thief or not, but strangely one of my big issues with it so far is the change of setting. The older Thief games had a nice magic/medieval/steampunk vibe going on, and from what I've seen so far they've ditched all of that. It's nice to see you can still 'ghost' the game, and they did bring back rope arrows (although it appears you can only use them in certain places), but from previews I've read the game world doesn't really feel alive.

I just don't know, at this point. :/

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23942 Posts

@FelipeInside: But the old thief games did give you plenty of choice. In how to get past the guards and what paths to take.

Chase two rabbits and you will lose them both as they say, and thief should focus on just being a sneaking and stealing game. Garret is not a warrior.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59078 Posts

The customization options to turn all the casual shit off (eagle eye) sounds interesting. I still have fairly high opes for this title. I think the main danger here is mass appeal. A lot of the console unaware are probably still fairly unaware of a franchise.

Be pissed off if it uses a checkpoint system, has shitty linear levels and some massively OP feature. I liked Dues Ex: Human Revolution, it was a great stealth game. But the combat for the player regardless of difficulty was like "god mode". Disnonered was also massively OP.

bussinrounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By bussinrounds

Just heard that you can't jump or shoot rope arrows whenever you want. Weak.