The Worst Publisher in Video Gaming From a PC Perspective:

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Subcritical (2285 posts) -

Microsoft Game Studios is by far the worst publisher, ever.  They have done more to damage PC gaming than all other developers combined.  They have siphoned games from the PC and taken them to the Xbox and Xbox 360.

Also they have intentionally delayed games to the PC.  Just look at Halo, and what they are doing with Halo 2, and various other games.  Even though Microsoft toughted Xbox and PC conversions to be a simple matter, which they are because Xbox games are all designed and run on PC's, they try to coherse people into buying the Xbox by delaying and siphoning games to the Xbox.  Microsoft Studios and the Xbox have done nothing to advance video gaming and have brougtht zero innovation to the market. 

#2 Posted by TheCrazed420 (7654 posts) -

Microsoft Game Studios is by far the worst publisher, ever.  They have done more to damage PC gaming than all other developers combined.  They have siphoned games from the PC and taken them to the Xbox and Xbox 360.

Also they have intentionally delayed games to the PC.  Just look at Halo, and what they are doing with Halo 2, and various other games.  Even though Microsoft toughted Xbox and PC conversions to be a simple matter, which they are because Xbox games are all designed and run on PC's, they try to coherse people into buying the Xbox by delaying and siphoning games to the Xbox.  Microsoft Studios and the Xbox have done nothing to advance video gaming and have brougtht zero innovation to the market. 

Subcritical
That's wrong. Microsoft entering the console war has done a lot. XBL has really pushed online gaming in the console world to levels never seen before. Soon we will also be playing Live Anywhere, so crossplatform gaming is a reality and coming very soon. Microsoft is no saint, but I've been very satisfied with my xbox and 360, and I think they compliment the PC well. I think the worst publisher from a PC perspective lately has been Ubisoft. Their latest ports to PC have been pretty awful.
#3 Posted by Lilac_Benjie (12287 posts) -
#4 Posted by monco59 (2473 posts) -
[QUOTE="Subcritical"]

Microsoft Game Studios is by far the worst publisher, ever. They have done more to damage PC gaming than all other developers combined. They have siphoned games from the PC and taken them to the Xbox and Xbox 360.

Also they have intentionally delayed games to the PC. Just look at Halo, and what they are doing with Halo 2, and various other games. Even though Microsoft toughted Xbox and PC conversions to be a simple matter, which they are because Xbox games are all designed and run on PC's, they try to coherse people into buying the Xbox by delaying and siphoning games to the Xbox. Microsoft Studios and the Xbox have done nothing to advance video gaming and have brougtht zero innovation to the market.

TheCrazed420

That's wrong. Microsoft entering the console war has done a lot. XBL has really pushed online gaming in the console world to levels never seen before. Soon we will also be playing Live Anywhere, so crossplatform gaming is a reality and coming very soon. Microsoft is no saint, but I've been very satisfied with my xbox and 360, and I think they compliment the PC well. I think the worst publisher from a PC perspective lately has been Ubisoft. Their latest ports to PC have been pretty awful.

Yeah what this guy says. To be honest out of all the publishers on the market today microsoft is the one thats really advancing gaming as a whole.
#5 Posted by Subcritical (2285 posts) -
[QUOTE="Subcritical"]

TheCrazed420

Well, I'm refering to PC gaming and PC gaming has had free online play long before Microsoft brought online play to console gamers for a fee.

My point is, as a publisher, they have taken games away from PC gamers.  I think that is much worse than releasing a buggy game to only have to patch it shortly after release.  At least with those types of publishers, you have a game to purchase.  Please note that I'm not making excuses for releasing buggy games.  That is bad.  Just not as bad as what MS has done.

#6 Posted by angelm75 (46 posts) -
Wow. So you are basing your condemnation of Microsoft on Halo? They are using Halo 2 as a vehicle to push Vista to the mass gamers out there. I for one think that the Games for Windows moniker is a very good thing. Now I can go into my local Best Buy and there is a Games for Windows kiosk with some playable games much like there has been for the console. Game stores like Electronics Boutique and GameStop have been steadily shrinking their PC game sections to the point where it is usually just one bookshelf. Now there is a new book shelf at least in my local gamestop with the Games for Windows logo and a kiosk. In my opinion MS is trying to revive gaming on the PC and not kill it.

Buggy crashy games are the downfall of PC gaming. I am tired of paying 39.99 and up for a beta copy of a game that will be fixed in a patch later.

As for the worst publisher, in my opinion there is one huge one. UBISOFT would make the list for the lately crappy ports, but their decision to drop StarForce gets them out of that gutter position for me. I would have to say the worst of the worst right now is EA. I know EA hating is the in thing right now, but wow. They release a very buggy game, release a patch that fubars something else, and then rinse cycle repeat.
#7 Posted by wis3boi (31038 posts) -
[QUOTE="angelm75"]Wow. So you are basing your condemnation of Microsoft on Halo? They are using Halo 2 as a vehicle to push Vista to the mass gamers out there. I for one think that the Games for Windows moniker is a very good thing. Now I can go into my local Best Buy and there is a Games for Windows kiosk with some playable games much like there has been for the console. Game stores like Electronics Boutique and GameStop have been steadily shrinking their PC game sections to the point where it is usually just one bookshelf. Now there is a new book shelf at least in my local gamestop with the Games for Windows logo and a kiosk. In my opinion MS is trying to revive gaming on the PC and not kill it.

Buggy crashy games are the downfall of PC gaming. I am tired of paying 39.99 and up for a beta copy of a game that will be fixed in a patch later.

As for the worst publisher, in my opinion there is one huge one. UBISOFT would make the list for the lately crappy ports, but their decision to drop StarForce gets them out of that gutter position for me. I would have to say the worst of the worst right now is EA. I know EA hating is the in thing right now, but wow. They release a very buggy game, release a patch that fubars something else, and then rinse cycle repeat.

lol yea.  My local EbGames doesn't put PC games out anymore...you have to ask and they will go in the back an get it for ya.  My Best Buy is the place for gaming though, and I enjoy the Games for Windows thing it helps PC gaming out.  Plus, Vista is like a new console to PC gamers, and Halo 2 is kind of a lauch title for it, and there is nothing wrong with that.  Microsoft is my fav.  EA just plain blows at support and origonal ideas...same crap over and over.  Relic sure knows what it's doing too.
#8 Posted by graham_celtic (1190 posts) -
Ubisoft because of their rubbish ports. 
#9 Posted by artur79 (4679 posts) -
Ubisoft because of their rubbish ports. graham_celtic
Could not agree more. So many good games down the drain....
#10 Posted by underdark944 (1368 posts) -
    Ubisoft.
#11 Posted by blue_sparks (205 posts) -
Ubisoft's pretty bad, but i must say EA. i don't want them soiling up hl2 just cuz they're publishing with valve now.
#12 Posted by GumbieuK (581 posts) -
Ubisoft because of their rubbish ports. graham_celtic
/Agreed
#13 Posted by Subcritical (2285 posts) -

Wow. So you are basing your condemnation of Microsoft on Halo? They are using Halo 2 as a vehicle to push Vista to the mass gamers out there. I for one think that the Games for Windows moniker is a very good thing. Now I can go into my local Best Buy and there is a Games for Windows kiosk with some playable games much like there has been for the console. Game stores like Electronics Boutique and GameStop have been steadily shrinking their PC game sections to the point where it is usually just one bookshelf. Now there is a new book shelf at least in my local gamestop with the Games for Windows logo and a kiosk. In my opinion MS is trying to revive gaming on the PC and not kill it.

As for the worst publisher, in my opinion there is one huge one. UBISOFT would make the list for the lately crappy ports, but their decision to drop StarForce gets them out of that gutter position for me. I would have to say the worst of the worst right now is EA. I know EA hating is the in thing right now, but wow. They release a very buggy game, release a patch that fubars something else, and then rinse cycle repeat. angelm75

I do agree that there is promise with the "Games for Windows" promotion.  But I have yet to see anything in my local Best Buy, or any other video game store.  So the jury is still out on that one as far as I'm concerned.  We will have to wait to see.  But you bring up some more points that need to be looked at and I think are worthy of conversation.  You mention that games have steadily been declining for the PC.  So I ask you, don't you notice that this decline has slowly been occuring since the Xbox?  Why is that?  I feel it is because MS has been pouring money into traditional PC developers to either buy the developer or buy the rights to the game and make its release primarily for the Xbox.

Another example of a game that hasn't been released for PC is Gears of War.  Microsoft paid Epic to release and hold the release only to the Xbox 360 despite the fact that Epic had this game running for PC.  There are many more examples, too.

There is absolutely no reason why a game like Gears of War is not released immediately to PC other than the fact that Microsoft is attempting to dictate control.

Look at Microsofts publishing site and see the ratio between new Xbox games and PC games for new release.  If they are promoting "Games for Windows", why aren't more of these new games that fit right into the PC gaming genre making to the PC?

http://www.microsoft.com/games/pc/default.aspx

http://www.microsoft.com/games/xbox/default.aspx

#14 Posted by Funkyhamster (17366 posts) -
I think that Games for Windows has a lot of potential to unify the PC gaming market... there just need to be more than 10 games supporting it.
#15 Posted by angelm75 (46 posts) -
PC Gaming is in a decline right now, and you cannot fault MS on that one. Why has there been a steady decline in PC gaming? Well the new consoles compete quite well in the graphics and complexity departments now. It is also cheaper to buy an XBox360 than to buy one of the new top of the line Nvidia or ATI cards. Not MS's fault.

One of the biggest problems in my opinion causing the decline of PC gaming is piracy. While there is piracy on consoles it is not as rampant as it is on the PC. It is contributing to the fewer games that are coming out for PC.

As for Gears of War, I don't think it would work on the PC, but that is my bias. I don't like 3rd person shooters on the PC, much as I don't like 1st person shooters on the console. But yes there is a reason why it is not released immediately to PC. It is called exclusivity. Companies do it all the time. The GTA series was exclusive to the PS2 for a very long time. I remember the PC version came out over a year after the PS2 version did. Publishers sign deals like these to push console sales. Nothing new. But is not having Gears of War for PC killing pc gaming? No it is not. The game is flawed even on the 360. It would take epic a long time to fix things first.

As for the games comparison list. A lot of those XBox games are crappy. The majority of the good ones have been ported to pc. The same can be said of the reverese. Why is there no Dungeon Siege 2 on the 360?

PC gaming is in a slump right now. We'll see if some of the games slated for mid and late 2007 actually make their scheduled release dates, and are as good as expected. We'll just have to wait and see how the DX10 and Vista support happens.

And BTW, Games for Windows is a moniker that non MS published games can have. It just means that the game meets MS' list of the following standards:

(borrowed from Wikipedia)

An "Easy Install" option that installs the title on your PC in the fewest possible steps and mouse clicks An icon and associated information installs into the Windows Vista Games Explorer Compatibility with the Xbox 360 common controller (where applicable) Installs and runs properly on x64 versions of Windows Vista and is compatible with 64-bit processors (though the game itself can be 32-bit) Supports normal and widescreen resolutions, such as 4:3 aspect ratio (800 x 600), 16:9 aspect ratio (1280 x 720), and 16:10 aspect ratio (1152 x 720) Multi-core and multi-threading support Media Center support (Windows Vista Premium and Windows Vista Ultimate have Media Center)