The STALKER games and Windows 7?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by ghstbstr (8790 posts) -

So will Windows 7 32-bit and 64-bit play all 3 STALKERS without any issues, or is one better than the other?
I am just wondering which version of Windows 7 I should get as I want to play these three games with the least amount of issues as possible.

#2 Posted by metacritical (2535 posts) -
did you not like my answer on the STALKER board?
#3 Posted by ghstbstr (8790 posts) -

did you not like my answer on the STALKER board?metacritical

Kinda, because I have read of issues and I am wondering if there still are any. Since I am getting Windows 7 and I want to play all three STALKERS games and I want to get the version with the least amount of issues.

#4 Posted by Too_tight_shoes (2486 posts) -
I have SoC on steam and I have Clear Skies on disk and neither work on windows 7 64 no matter what I tried could get them to run longer than 30mins and SoC doesn't even boot up.
#5 Posted by organic_machine (9686 posts) -

If it's any comfort, I have not tried Shadow of Chernobyl or Clear Sky on my 64-bit PC, but I HAVE tried Call of Pripyat on my PC. Call of Pripyat, retail version with no patches, runs flawlessly on my PC. No issues, no crashes, no bugs, just ran without a flaw.

So if all else fails, COP should work. :)

#6 Posted by Plo_Koon_basic (799 posts) -
i play SoC on win 7(64bit), runs perfect. oh! and it's fully patched.
#7 Posted by broken_bass_bin (7514 posts) -

Shadow of Chernobyl works just fine here with Windows 7 x64.

#8 Posted by General_X (9032 posts) -
I've played STLAKER Clear Sky and Call or Pripyat on my Windows 7 64bit Home Premium perfectly fine. Never tried SOC on it though, but I assume it will work.
#9 Posted by ghstbstr (8790 posts) -

So it seems like all three STALKER games should play just fine on Windows 7 64-bit.
Thanks everyone for your help with this.

If anyone else has any other thoughts on this please leave a response.

#10 Posted by General_X (9032 posts) -
Make sure you mod the first and second games before you play through them, they make the experience 100x better: STALKER Complete 2009 - For Shadow of Chernobyl Clear Sky Complete - For Clear Sky And Call of Pripyat Complete is in the making, but it isn't necessary to mod this one as it is the most polished.
#11 Posted by ghstbstr (8790 posts) -
[QUOTE="General_X"]Make sure you mod the first and second games before you play through them, they make the experience 100x better: STALKER Complete 2009 - For Shadow of Chernobyl Clear Sky Complete - For Clear Sky And Call of Pripyat Complete is in the making, but it isn't necessary to mod this one as it is the most polished.

Thanks for the heads up on those mods as I will download them once I rebuild my current gaming pc to a faster and alot more powerful one. I can't wait to rebuild because I just can't wait to play all three STALKER games again!
#12 Posted by ionusX (25716 posts) -

i have all 3 no problems yet... digital download for soc and cop while cs is retail.

#13 Posted by AGMing (1694 posts) -
all the staker games run fine on my PC, i use win 7 64bit.
#14 Posted by AGMing (1694 posts) -
fraps and Xfire do seem to effect the stalker games though, seems the xray engine isnt to keen on them and whenever i have those running the game refuses to launch.
#15 Posted by GhoX (5006 posts) -
Windows 7 64 bit. It's not a direct reason, but only with 64 bit OS will your computer fully utilise more than 4GB(including GPU RAM) of memory. Those Stalker games can be huge memory hogs when maxed out at 1920x1080 with all the awesome graphics enhancement mods.
#16 Posted by GhoX (5006 posts) -
fraps and Xfire do seem to effect the stalker games though, seems the xray engine isnt to keen on them and whenever i have those running the game refuses to launch.AGMing
Add Raptr to that list too. Basically don't use any program that directly influences the game.
#17 Posted by imprezawrx500 (19187 posts) -
the os doesn't really have much affect on the games except 64 bit can use more ram. any version of windows will run them fine.
#18 Posted by Safuco2327 (14 posts) -
Works fine for me.