The snail named Steam

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Kjranu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 Kjranu
Member since 2012 • 1802 Posts

Will Steam ever be fast? I hate how it is horribly slow most of the time whenever I want to browse the market or put things up on it. I don't know about Valve but it seems like they still have servers built during the stone age.

Kjranu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Kjranu

It should also be noted that I often get errors by trying to go pages on the Steam app. Basically broken. It's a piece of shite, and Steam OS will be the ultimate exemplification of that.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

Must be your Internet or something on your end, runs like a dream for me (and my Internet is shit, download speed is 700kbps etc.).

Kjranu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Kjranu

@BattleSpectre said:

Must be your Internet, runs like a dream for me (and my Internet is shit, download speed is 700kbps etc.).

I don't think so. I have a 25 mbps connection. It's fast though the connection quality can be sporadic sometimes. It could get as slow as 1 to 7 mbps at some hours and I'd have to reset the router to get the speed back to normal. That's not behind Steam issues though as I've had them since forever. Steam app just plain sucks and everybody knows this. It's only popular because of store deals and the convenience of having your games in one place.

glez13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 glez13
Member since 2006 • 10310 Posts

It must be the specific region servers. Some have slow browsing others have slow download.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By BattleSpectre

@Kjranu said:

@BattleSpectre said:

Must be your Internet, runs like a dream for me (and my Internet is shit, download speed is 700kbps etc.).

I don't think so. I have a 25 mbps connection. It's fast though the connection quality can be sporadic sometimes. It could get as slow as 1 to 7 mbps at some hours and I'd have to reset the router to get the speed back to normal. That's not behind Steam issues though as I've had them since forever. Steam app just plain sucks and everybody knows this. It's only popular because of store deals and the convenience of having your games in one place.

Like I said everything is fast for me to load, and I've never had a complaint about it's speed to respond to my tasks. Must be something on your end.

Kjranu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Kjranu

@glez13 said:

It must be the specific region servers. Some have slow browsing others have slow download.

My downloads on Steam are pretty fast. Usually 1.5 to 2 mbps (and up to 4 mbps when I had a 40mbps connection). The browsing is shite though.

Kjranu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Kjranu

@BattleSpectre said:

@Kjranu said:

@BattleSpectre said:

Like I said everything is fast for me to load, and I've never had a complaint about it's speed to respond to my tasks. Must be something on your end.

"Like I said", it's not my end as my internet is fast and I have no problems browsing Origin which is supposed to be worse than Steam.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By BattleSpectre

@Kjranu said:

@BattleSpectre said:

@Kjranu said:

@BattleSpectre said:

"Like I said", it's not my end as my internet is fast and I have no problems browsing Origin which is supposed to be worse than Steam.

How come it's fast for me and my internet is worse than yours? "Like I said" must be something on your end.

Kjranu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Kjranu

@BattleSpectre said:

@Kjranu said:

@BattleSpectre said:

@Kjranu said:

@BattleSpectre said:

How come it's fast for me and my internet is worse than yours? "Like I said" must be something on your end.

The other guy said it could be attributed to the regional servers. Your Steam server centre could be better than mine.

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By Ribstaylor1
Member since 2014 • 2186 Posts

Ya steam is horribly slow. The store takes forever too load and any pages within it do the same. I have a sick machine and fast internet so there is no reason for it to load this shitty. I agree with OP the steam interface of the store is slow as hell.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Steam is fast where I am. I was just browsing the store.

Sleepyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Sleepyz
Member since 2003 • 3805 Posts

I download at 1.2mpbs which is max for me and store loads very fast but forums and community tends to be very slow and annoying. I do have a crappy computer but good cable connection.

Postosuchus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Postosuchus
Member since 2005 • 907 Posts

Back when I was on an aircard steam was horrendous. Took forever to load, and often didn't finish loading at all. There was also that "you must be online to go offline" BS that they finally seemed to have fixed. Even late 2011 Origin was faster and more reliable that steam on that aircard. Now that I have Fios it is much better.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

Steam runs better then any other gaming service for me.

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Behardy24
Member since 2014 • 5324 Posts

At this moment, Valve is doing some server things on their end. At least, that what it says when I go to the store through the client.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318
deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318
Member since 2008 • 4166 Posts

Seems borked at the moment, couldn't add stuff to cart and can't sign in now. Just as i was about to buy a load of games, i want Empire Total War and it's on a flash sale :(

Curlyfrii87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Curlyfrii87
Member since 2004 • 15057 Posts

I understand having to go down with issues and updates and such... but for this long on the weekend sucks lot more.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

I get the fastest download speeds I ever get over Steam.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#21 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

Lately I've had less problems with Origin than with Steam. I couldn't log on for like 2 hours last night and the browser is really slow and gets stuck loading pages regularly.

I also get oddly fast download speeds with Origin, like they honestly don't make any sense. I get like 7mb/s down with Origin while I only normally get between 1 and 2mb/s down.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127502 Posts

I've had no trouble with either dl or browsing steam... Of course with some exceptions on the browsing part. Dunno if Steam or me is to blame there.

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

The actual browsing of the store and loading the pages of the application have always been slow for me. It's not my internet, I have 100mbps down and have no problem getting crazy DL speeds from them, it's just the actual browsing of the store always seems slow.

I also recently starting having problems with their video playing getting stuck for a few seconds every 10 or so, no idea what that's about.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

@kraken2109 said:

I also recently starting having problems with their video playing getting stuck for a few seconds every 10 or so, no idea what that's about.

I used to have that problem with all my routers until I enabled Turbo Mode in the Admin section. A lot of times, it's not enabled by default.

A firmware update may reset it too.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

Steam has been having a lot of issues.

www.reddit.com/r/steam

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

@jimmy_russell said:

Origin is decompressing the files and then showing you an inflated bit rate. Steam offers me 50mb/s downloads regularly, even now when it's laggy, I'm sure it could go higher if my copnnection allowed it. The problem I'm having is loading Steam's community section, like the market and discussions.

Origin's looks correct to me when I checked with my router. It said 11-12 MB/s and my router said ~105

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts

i haven't noticed any slowdowns

caseystryker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#29 caseystryker
Member since 2005 • 5421 Posts

I've never had any issues with Steam. Browsing the store has always been fast and I get around 6Mbps download speed most of the time.

Blutfahne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Blutfahne
Member since 2014 • 276 Posts

Don't use it.

darksusperia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By darksusperia
Member since 2004 • 6945 Posts

to all those that say. Its not my connection I have xyz speeds...

it dont mean diddly squat. You can have the fastest connection in the world, but if one of the nodes, or anything else in the chain between you, and the server you access is having an issue.. guess what, so will you. It has nothing to do with your connection itself, but the route taken to reach the destination. Often changing your DNS can have you routed to another machine.

Alternately, your connection may be stable as far as access appears, but the routing tables, or firewall, might have bugged out and that will also cause issues. Reset your devices.

Steam did have maintainence yesterday.

Stinger78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Stinger78
Member since 2003 • 5846 Posts

Try changing your Download Region to somewhere else by going to Steam - Settings - Downloads, and see if that makes any difference.

Mine was set on Miami, whereas the closest to me is St. Louis.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
deactivated-5bda06edf37ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#33  Edited By deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
Member since 2010 • 4675 Posts

i think Steam feels quite bloaty too. i can download games on maximum bandwidth no problem (wich is more important), but browsing Steam always feels slow. not so slow that it would bother the hell out of me, but it's noticable.

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

@jun_aka_pekto said:

@kraken2109 said:

I used to have that problem with all my routers until I enabled Turbo Mode in the Admin section. A lot of times, it's not enabled by default.

A firmware update may reset it too.

Happens to me on multiple networks, I don't think it's a router issue. Probably a flash player issue or something.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

Yeah Steam is fairly slow for me as well. I have FiOS Quantum. 50/25

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

Don't have any problems with Steam. I regularly hit and hold full speed, which is nice with 120mps connection.