The Sims 2 D3DERR_NOTAVAILABLE error message

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by bert3_16 (127 posts) -
My GF keeps getting this error message when playing The Sims 2 bon voyage, the game works fine for a while but then just goes back to the desktop and this error message comes up. I've heard that it might be the nVidia card or anti-virus software but messing with those doesnt seem to work. Anybody know how to solve this problem?
#2 Posted by DanielDust (15402 posts) -
Update the video driver and if it doesn't work roll it back or uninstall it completely and install the latest version. Whoops sorry, I should have said, tell your girlfriend XD, not that YOU should update the driver.:P
#3 Posted by nlclar (2 posts) -
Help me PLEASE I am getting 2 different error messages the first 1 is nvd4_disp and the 2nd is d3derr_notavailable. I can build a house for hours on end and as soon as I begin to play it shuts down after about 10 min. Can anyone help me? I am using windows XP
#4 Posted by basher999 (220 posts) -

Help me PLEASE I am getting 2 different error messages the first 1 is nvd4_disp and the 2nd is d3derr_notavailable. I can build a house for hours on end and as soon as I begin to play it shuts down after about 10 min. Can anyone help me? I am using windows XPnlclar

That 1st error you get seems to be from the video driver(tho i could be mistaken). Just hop on over to nvidia.com and download the latest drivers. There's a section on the driver page to auto-detect your card and driver so it's really easy.

Hope that helps abit.

#5 Posted by nlclar (2 posts) -
Thx I will try that should this solve both errors?
#6 Posted by DanielDust (15402 posts) -
Thx I will try that should this solve both errors?nlclar
Install the newest driver for your graphics card and the latest DX 9.c you can find.
#7 Posted by audiolight (1 posts) -
If I provided a stack trace for this, would anyone at EA take a look at it? It's definitely a bad return code coming from the nVidia driver on a request from the SimsEP9. Either the Sims made a bad request, or the driver is in a bad state.