The Settlers III worth the Uplay hassle?

#1 Posted by br0kenrabbit (12824 posts) -

I thought about picking up The Settlers III package on Steam, but I've been reading a lot of people are upset with the Uplay integration and some complaints about even getting Uplay to log in.

Is it really that big of an issue? Should I pick the game up or just move on?

#2 Posted by Klunt_Bumskrint (3645 posts) -

If you've managed to avoid UPlay till now carry on. I wish I could of avoided it.

#3 Posted by br0kenrabbit (12824 posts) -

If you've managed to avoid UPlay till now carry on. I wish I could of avoided it.

10-4. Thanks.

#4 Posted by jun_aka_pekto (15917 posts) -

What's wrong with Uplay?

#5 Posted by Klunt_Bumskrint (3645 posts) -

In my opinion it's like a crap version of origin shoved down your throat. Origin is bad enough.

#6 Posted by jun_aka_pekto (15917 posts) -

In my opinion it's like a crap version of origin shoved down your throat. Origin is bad enough.

What specifically is wrong with Uplay besides being another client? From my use of it, it doesn't seem any worse than Steam. Just like Steam, it's off unless I play either Far Cry 3 or Watch Dogs. It does Offline mode pretty well. Same goes for Origin.

None of the three clients are running when I'm not gaming. When I do play a game, all three are in Offline mode with local saves.

#7 Posted by skipper847 (3166 posts) -

Sorry connection Error.

#8 Posted by Croag821 (2317 posts) -

If you wanna play a game don't let some download manager stop you. Uplay hasn't given me any problems.

#9 Edited by Senor_Kami (8336 posts) -

@klunt_bumskrint said:

What specifically is wrong with Uplay besides being another client?

The issue most have with it is that it's not from Lord Gaben, maker of heaven and Earth.

#10 Posted by jun_aka_pekto (15917 posts) -

@jun_aka_pekto said:

@klunt_bumskrint said:

What specifically is wrong with Uplay besides being another client?

The issue most have with it is that it's not from Lord Gaben, maker of heaven and Earth.

I have games divided up among all three clients. When it comes to what matters to me: offline mode, synching saves, and auto-update (the rest are junk I don't use), all three seem to do well with no clear advantage for any of them.

#11 Edited by MBirdy88 (7704 posts) -

@klunt_bumskrint said:

What specifically is wrong with Uplay besides being another client? From my use of it, it doesn't seem any worse than Steam. Just like Steam, it's off unless I play either Far Cry 3 or Watch Dogs. It does Offline mode pretty well. Same goes for Origin.

None of the three clients are running when I'm not gaming. When I do play a game, all three are in Offline mode with local saves.

its just double standards... steam was once crap.... yet they swalloed its forced nature.

#12 Posted by Nick3306 (2562 posts) -

uplay is not a hassle to me.

#13 Edited by MlauTheDaft (3379 posts) -

Uplay is not as bad as Origin and it's terrible browser plugin, but it's still not all that stable and I simply don't trust UBI with DRM; not to mention that I think Steam alone is PLENTY in terms of game clients.

Edit:

DRM free games are far superior of course. I could make my own offline client if I really desired and could'nt make do with a folder full of shortcuts.

#14 Edited by ShepardCommandr (2409 posts) -

Don't bother. uplay sucks even origin is better