The Secret World drops subscription fees and brings in three membership tier.

• 76 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Wanderer5 (25699 posts) -

The Secret World has now gone B2P, where once you buy the game you don't have to worry about paying for any fee. Three membership tiers will replaced it which are Free, Member, Grand Master.

Well that cool.

#3 Posted by Planeforger (15526 posts) -

Take note EA, this is how you do a viable alternative model to monthly fees:

What is now required to be able to play The Secret World?

Everyone who has purchased (or will purchase) the game can now enjoy the full game without being required to sign-up for a monthly fee. This means that all of the heralded story-line and all of the game content available right now can be played as you please without requiring any additional payment.

Are there any restrictions to what a free player has access to?

No. You have access to all the content available right now, including all playfields, all missions; you may enter all lairs, participate in raids, learn all abilities, use all equipment and so on.

What is a 'Membership'?

For those dedicated to the game there is an optional Membership available which also includes some great items and services:

• 'The Time Accelerator'. This clickable item increases experience gain for defeating monsters by 100% for 1 hour and has a 16 hour cool-down. This item can only be used by Members and Grand Masters.
  • $10 worth of Bonus Points given out every month which can be used towards any product in the Item Store of The Secret World (bonus points are valid for 6 months).
  • Membership Item-of-the-month gift (given out every month).
  • 10% discount to everything in the Item Store except Content Packs or other Packs (discounts to the Item Store do not stack with other offers).

What about future content updates?

Periodically we will release packs of DLC (Downloadable Content). The main content in these packs will be a story leading to unique rewards/items through missions. These packs are fully optional and can be purchased for the Bonus Points that are included in the optional Membership, as well as with the points offered with Grand Master Lifetime service. Players without a Membership or a Grand Master Service can of course as well purchase new DLC content in the Item Store.

When can the first DLC content be expected?

The first DLC will start selling in January 2013, and is the main storyline of Issue #5. However, this content will already be fully unlocked for anyone who has a full game account registered before the end of December 2012.

Besides DLCs, will there also still be regular content updates to The Secret World?

Definitely! Regular patches with free content and updates and enhancements to the core game will continue.

#4 Posted by scottahuch (1580 posts) -

Almost no restriction on free players, nice. I'll probably start playing again.

#5 Posted by Maroxad (8032 posts) -

Wow, and I was already considering returning to TSW. This only solidified my decision even more.

Consider me very pleasantly surprised.

#6 Posted by wis3boi (31102 posts) -

Take notes, EA.

#7 Posted by MythPro1 (2746 posts) -
That was fast.
#8 Posted by mirgamer (1865 posts) -
YES! I'VE BEEN WAITING FOR THIS! :D
#9 Posted by trijity (810 posts) -

Honestly, I have had my eye keenly placed on TSW ever since it was released. I haven't played it only because it has been a chore to convince my friends to join me in this MMO. However, after this model switch, convincing should be much easier. I hope the best for Funcom and this game. To me it looks great and doesn't seem to get the appreciation it deserves.

I'm surprised that model is as lenient as it is. They sure shoved that in EA's face after SWTOR's HORRIBLE switch.

#10 Posted by trijity (810 posts) -

Just saw this posted by Joel Bylos, the game director of the TSW.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3LN96IZtDU

It's a little cheesy but I love when companies do silly things like this. Almost something I'd expect from a smaller indie-like company. It's mainly a cool little video about him being depressed about the world ending, and he also throws in a good nod toward the game dropping the subscription.

#11 Posted by MyopicCanadian (8345 posts) -

Not sure if they should even be calling one of the tiers "free" since you still need the game, but aside from that, this got me to check the game out again. I don't play enough of MMO's to typically justify a monthly subscription.

Also, you can get the game for $19.50 on Greenmangaming using codeWINTR-SRVEY-42012

#12 Posted by Wasdie (49608 posts) -

That actually sounds pretty good. I may pick this up eventually, it looks really interesting.

#13 Posted by Whiteblade999 (5536 posts) -

Looks like thats another game I'm buying during the Christmas sale.

#14 Posted by kieran88 (2273 posts) -
Oh sweet, might get back into it then!
#15 Posted by Elann2008 (32953 posts) -

Almost no restriction on free players, nice. I'll probably start playing again.

scottahuch
Almost? There are absolutely no restrictions, at all. This is great news. I've been looking to play TSW, but I haven't gone back to it due to time constraints. Now, I'll be able to divide time for it and single-player games.
#16 Posted by Gammit10 (2250 posts) -
Good move. They got some initial money, saw the model wasn't working and updated. Very agile. I can see myself picking this up for $30.
#17 Posted by FelipeInside (25272 posts) -
Woke up this morning and saw this news on the net. Very happy since now I can afford to play it.
#18 Posted by IxX3xil3d0n3XxI (1508 posts) -
Just saw this last night, Downloading the client again now.
#19 Posted by Elann2008 (32953 posts) -
[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]Woke up this morning and saw this news on the net. Very happy since now I can afford to play it.

Just saw this last night, Downloading the client again now.IxX3xil3d0n3XxI
Which servers are you guys on? I think I'm still on Arcadia. It's been so long, I do not remember. lol
#20 Posted by FelipeInside (25272 posts) -
[QUOTE="Elann2008"][QUOTE="FelipeInside"]Woke up this morning and saw this news on the net. Very happy since now I can afford to play it.

Just saw this last night, Downloading the client again now.IxX3xil3d0n3XxI
Which servers are you guys on? I think I'm still on Arcadia. It's been so long, I do not remember. lol

I have to log in and get back to you on that one. So many SP games, so many MP games, so many MMOs. Why can't I win the Lotto so I have 24/7 gaming times???
#21 Posted by Elann2008 (32953 posts) -

[QUOTE="Elann2008"][QUOTE="IxX3xil3d0n3XxI"]Just saw this last night, Downloading the client again now.FelipeInside

I have to log in and get back to you on that one. So many SP games, so many MP games, so many MMOs. Why can't I win the Lotto so I have 24/7 gaming times???

Haha, that would be lovely (winning the Lotto). I'm still on Arcadia. Eh.. I played it for like 20 minutes and it just didn't feel right lol. Maybe because it's been a while. The game still has poor optimization, even in DX9. New York, in particular will drop to 20fps in a lot of spots. And it's a pretty small area to boot. The plastic surgeon is f'in terrible. I thought it was going to be a totally revamped re-character customization.. but you can only change the face, eye color, skin color, mouth, lips, nose.. and there are very few choices. Is there another place to go and change your hair style? Make sure to use your coupon for plastic surgeon to avoid the 1,000,000 token fee. It's a one-time-use coupon.

#22 Posted by trastamad03 (4852 posts) -
Guess I can install this again and NOT pick pistols D:
#23 Posted by IZoMBiEI (6477 posts) -

cool, will definetly buy this now, loved the beta.

#24 Posted by FelipeInside (25272 posts) -
They also seem to have fixed the download servers. I'm getting my Internet maxed out downloading the updates :)
#25 Posted by Elann2008 (32953 posts) -
Guess I can install this again and NOT pick pistols D:trastamad03
Hey man.. let me know if you want to get going again in TSW. :P
#26 Posted by Elann2008 (32953 posts) -
[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]They also seem to have fixed the download servers. I'm getting my Internet maxed out downloading the updates :)

Yeah man. The download speed was incredibly fast. Over 2mb/s for me.
#27 Posted by Planeforger (15526 posts) -

Guess I can install this again and NOT pick pistols D:trastamad03
Pistols were a fine choice in PvP if you liked kiting, but weren't hugely fun to play by themselves.

'course, it didn't matter what people picked or did in PvP, since my Hammer/Chaos build would find them and end them regardless. :P

#28 Posted by l0ner_1 (352 posts) -

Hey, this is awesome. I've been playing since launch, and will continue to pay a subscription even when it goes to a F2P model. I just hope this does bring more players, not saying the game is dead, but more players is always a great thing. The game is very good, though it does have some glitches and bugs in the later dungeon content, but nothing game breaking.

#29 Posted by koen57 (75 posts) -
Sounds interesting for 30 bucks.
#30 Posted by Flubbbs (2953 posts) -

just picked it up off steam.. ive wanted to play this for a while and now its free so why not

#31 Posted by EliteM0nk3y (3382 posts) -
This sounds like a good idea, I just hope it works for them.
#33 Posted by MyopicCanadian (8345 posts) -

Apparently the game was $5 on GMG LAST WEEK :( I had a friend all ready to play it with me, but now he doesn't want to spend $20 when it was so cheap just a few days ago. I kinda know the feeling.. almost feels like overpaying since I missed out on the deal.

#34 Posted by FelipeInside (25272 posts) -

Apparently the game was $5 on GMG LAST WEEK :( I had a friend all ready to play it with me, but now he doesn't want to spend $20 when it was so cheap just a few days ago. I kinda know the feeling.. almost feels like overpaying since I missed out on the deal.

MyopicCanadian
Dude, you and your friend really need to read the following line carefully: The game is worth more than $20. Yes, $5 would have been a bargain. but $20 is dirt cheap.
#35 Posted by trastamad03 (4852 posts) -
[QUOTE="trastamad03"]Guess I can install this again and NOT pick pistols D:Elann2008

Redownloading tonight, so maybe by tomorrow I'll be ready! :D Gonna make a new Character though.
#36 Posted by FelipeInside (25272 posts) -
[QUOTE="Elann2008"][QUOTE="trastamad03"]Guess I can install this again and NOT pick pistols D:trastamad03

Redownloading tonight, so maybe by tomorrow I'll be ready! :D Gonna make a new Character though.

Also downloading, haven't decided yet if to continue with my character or create new.
#37 Posted by Planeforger (15526 posts) -

[QUOTE="trastamad03"][QUOTE="Elann2008"] Gonna make a new Character though.FelipeInside
Also downloading, haven't decided yet if to continue with my character or create new.

The only things you can't replay are the story missions, so you could always just use your previous character and start a new build from the beginning of the game.

Changing your equipment and skills effectively gives you a new 'level one' character, so that might be what I'll do.

#38 Posted by FelipeInside (25272 posts) -
[QUOTE="Planeforger"][QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="trastamad03"][QUOTE="Elann2008"] Gonna make a new Character though.

The only things you can't replay are the story missions, so you could always just use your previous character and start a new build from the beginning of the game. Changing your equipment and skills effectively gives you a new 'level one' character, so that might be what I'll do.

Could u pls explain that further?
#39 Posted by Planeforger (15526 posts) -

Could u pls explain that further?FelipeInside
Sure.

Your level in The Secret World is determined by the QL of your equipment, not by how much XP you have. For example, my character has excellent equipment focused on enhancing his Hammer and Chaos attacks, and has unlocked heaps of skills in those wheels.

Then again, my character has no skills or equipment for...say, Shotguns and Blood Magic. If I started using that combo, and if I swapped to QL1 equipment appropriate for those weapons, then I'd basically be playing a new level one character. I'd have low health and a low damage output, I could replay all of the missions in each area from the start of the game, unlocking skills and earning equipment as I go along, exactly as if I was a new character.

So...it's the best of both worlds? You'd be basically starting again, while making progress on your old character at the same time. The only thing you really miss are the story and faction cutscenes.

*edit* To put it another way: starting on a new deck is basically the same as starting a new character.

#40 Posted by Elann2008 (32953 posts) -
There's no point in making more than one character guys. Don't make the mistake I did. You can fill up your entire ability wheel on one character alone. Just decide which faction you want to be in for pvp.
#41 Posted by trastamad03 (4852 posts) -
There's no point in making more than one character guys. Don't make the mistake I did. You can fill up your entire ability wheel on one character alone. Just decide which faction you want to be in for pvp.Elann2008
Speaking of which, which one did you pick?
#42 Posted by Elann2008 (32953 posts) -
[QUOTE="Elann2008"]There's no point in making more than one character guys. Don't make the mistake I did. You can fill up your entire ability wheel on one character alone. Just decide which faction you want to be in for pvp.trastamad03

I'm a Templar. :P
#43 Posted by FelipeInside (25272 posts) -
[QUOTE="trastamad03"][QUOTE="Elann2008"]There's no point in making more than one character guys. Don't make the mistake I did. You can fill up your entire ability wheel on one character alone. Just decide which faction you want to be in for pvp.Elann2008

I'm a Templar. :P

TEMPLAR FTW !!!!!
#44 Posted by l0ner_1 (352 posts) -

Templar noobs.... Illuminati is where its at. Fusang on Locked down ALL DAY!

#45 Posted by Elann2008 (32953 posts) -

l0ner_1
When the game launched, Templar were dominating 24/7. I haven't played since the first month but I guess a lot has changed in pvp.. not like pvp was engaging anyways.
#46 Posted by FelipeInside (25272 posts) -
[QUOTE="l0ner_1"]

Elann2008
When the game launched, Templar were dominating 24/7. I haven't played since the first month but I guess a lot has changed in pvp.. not like pvp was engaging anyways.

Correct. TSW isn't about PvP, that's just like a side game to it.
#47 Posted by Elann2008 (32953 posts) -
[QUOTE="Elann2008"][QUOTE="l0ner_1"]

FelipeInside

Correct. TSW isn't about PvP, that's just like a side game to it.

Exactly.
#48 Posted by Planeforger (15526 posts) -
Meanwhile, for anyone looking for exclusive in-game costumes and other rewards, Funcom are currently running an ARG about the whole 21/12/12 end of the world thing. Check it out here: www.thesecretworld.com/arg/
#49 Posted by Elann2008 (32953 posts) -
[QUOTE="Planeforger"]Meanwhile, for anyone looking for exclusive in-game costumes and other rewards, Funcom are currently running an ARG about the whole 21/12/12 end of the world thing. Check it out here: www.thesecretworld.com/arg/

haha cool
#50 Posted by trastamad03 (4852 posts) -
Well... Got my account back (had forgotten my password :P) and download should be ready once I get home, Gonna give it a go again! :D Did they fix the DX11 slowdown btw? or should I just stick to DX9?