The Purple Box!!!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by underdark944 (1368 posts) -

September 2008 Sees the Release of the Purple Box from Valve, similar to the Orange Box from last year. Here's the contents:

-Half-Life 2 : Episode Three

-Left 4 Dead

-Portal 2

All for the low price of 49,99$

*this is only speculation*

Wouldn't it be awesome? Left 4 Dead is already scheduled for release around September, HL2:EP3 is probably well underway since the release of EP2 (development started on it before the release of EP2) and Portal 2 doesn't seem like it would be complicated to build another 2 or 3 hour game. It would be a pretty similar package, Left 4 Dead replacing Team Fortress 2 as the multiplayer game. Valve would rise to a status of deity if they did that...

#2 Posted by D9-THC (3081 posts) -
If only wishing made it so...
#3 Posted by mfsa (3328 posts) -

I was thinking that too - but only if there's a significant delay between Left 4 Dead and The Purple (or whatever) box. Left 4 Dead is being sold boxed retail at $40. At only $20 (or less) more, TPB would just eat it alive at retail.

I don't see the percentage in publishing a game and releasing it as a standalone and bundling it in a slightly more expensive package that everyone wants at the same time.

Left 4 Dead also isn't being released on PS3 - and Valve brought TOB to PS3 - so why not TPB?

Too many holes for me to believe it, but I sure as hell would love it.

#4 Posted by evil_pickle (507 posts) -
I didn`t even know there was a purple box, but I was waiting for th release of left 4 dead. So hopefully this does happen.
#5 Posted by Ps2stony (1888 posts) -

Purple Box? What a bunch of purple bull...

Obviously it'll be the Purple Warehouse since there's so many games in it.

#6 Posted by mfsa (3328 posts) -

I didn`t even know there was a purple box, but I was waiting for th release of left 4 dead. So hopefully this does happen.evil_pickle

There isn't. Valve has made no announcement regarding another box (that I'm aware of), but people are assuming (and pretty much hoping) that Valve will want to continue with compilations after the (3M unit selling) success of The Orange Box.

We know that a Half Life Episode is in development, that a Portal game is in development, and that a multiplayer-based game is in development, all under the Valve banner. Sounds familiar?

#7 Posted by DDX2 (6317 posts) -

im hoping for a TF2 expansion

#8 Posted by evil_pickle (507 posts) -
Ah, I see. I was wondering since I looked up the purple box and hadn`t seen anything on it. Thanks bud ^^
#9 Posted by ElArab (5754 posts) -

Hmm, maybe they should make "The Orange COFFIN"

-and you have to pry it open with a crowbar to get the goodies inside, it's got a zombie plushie inside, and you have to rip it open (by repedeatly smacking it with the crowbar until the game engine makes it explode) and then the CD Keys fall out! Then you register them on steam!

#10 Posted by Iffy350 (8345 posts) -
Purple Box = Not my Gamecube? :P
#11 Posted by tcardone05 (163 posts) -

Left 4 Dead also isn't being released on PS3 - and Valve brought TOB to PS3 - so why not TPB?mfsa

Because EA was the distribuitor for The Orange Box, and Valve actually had nothing to do with the port to the PS3. That was done in-house by EA.

But EA is ALSO distrubuiting Left 4 Dead, so it's still possible (likely even) that the PS3 will eventually get it. Just to shoot down your dream theory even more, HL2 Ep 3 hasn't been finalized, and Portal 2 most likely isn't hardly started yet. So it's highly improbable that it would happen this year.

#12 Posted by mfsa (3328 posts) -

HL2 Ep 3 hasn't been finalized, and Portal 2 most likely isn't hardly started yet. So it's highly improbable that it would happen this year. tcardone05

Ep3 was supposed to be out already, according to original release schedules. Ep3 could be delayed for one hell of a long time. Portal 2 has probably been in development for a while (no one announces a game (even by accident) before they started work on it) and, given that it may only be a two hour game and much of the groundwork is already in place (from the original game), development could be fast and smooth.

The release of Portal 2 could easily coincide with the release of episode 3, and if they are both some time after Left 4 Dead (which is looking likely), it wouldn't be crazy that they'd be willing to repackage the game in a box - unless there are contractual issues with EA.

Anyway, as I originally said, a purple box could easily happen. But I'm not going to jump to conclusions at this stage.

#13 Posted by pinneyapple (5566 posts) -

im hoping for a TF2 expansion

DDX2

What would be the point? They can just add new maps etc in an update for tf2 on steam if they had to.

#14 Posted by HardcoreKiller2 (574 posts) -
its nice, but I think "The Black Box" would've been a better name, mostly because there was originally going to be a Black Box, with Episode 2, Team Fortress 2 and Portal included, but Valve canned that. The new Black Box would include the games you said, and for the console versions, it could have Counter-Strike: Source and Day of Defeat: Source included. The Black Box would basically be the Orange Box reveresed. As the Black Box will include more multiplayer games then singleplayer games, while the Orange Box included more singleplayer games than multiplayer games.
#15 Posted by sabru8 (4144 posts) -

If only wishing made it so...D9-THC

Yes...if only.

#16 Posted by nutcrackr (12239 posts) -

its possible but I don't see ep 3 making 2008, portal also must hardly be started

Left 4 Dead should be well and truly finished by then.

#17 Posted by ElArab (5754 posts) -

its possible but I don't see ep 3 making 2008, portal also must hardly be started

nutcrackr

Hehe, it should be finished now but they say they play it more than work on it. Typical Valve, making sure their product is good and taking their time on it.

#18 Posted by nutcrackr (12239 posts) -
[QUOTE="nutcrackr"]

ElArab

Hehe, it should be finished now but they say they play it more than work on it. Typical Valve, making sure their product is good and taking their time on it.

I think most of the reason is because they are getting it up and going on the 360 ;) If it was PC only it would be out before June.

#19 Posted by eva89 (807 posts) -
ill just paid for l4d not getting purple box.just like i get tf2 rather than orange box.
#20 Posted by Kev_Boy (1524 posts) -
I agree. Cramming thing into a box is not a good idea, I'll pay for the games I want to play thank you very much.
#21 Posted by TeamR (1818 posts) -

I agree. Cramming thing into a box is not a good idea, I'll pay for the games I want to play thank you very much.Kev_Boy

Thats why they've always sold each game seperately. I don't see what that would change

#22 Posted by Kev_Boy (1524 posts) -
They did but for the price they're asking, it's not really worth it.
#23 Posted by HaloEleven (250 posts) -
could episode 3 really be out by september? that would be nice :)
#24 Posted by prasath_amd (278 posts) -
Whatever compilation Valve releases hereafter....I'll just buy it.... :D
#25 Posted by evil_pickle (507 posts) -

They'll probably release left 4 dead, and when ep3 and portal are done, maybe they'll compile them together and create the *random color* box.

#26 Posted by screamingdoom (884 posts) -

nutcrackr

If ep3 doesn't get released this year, visually it's gonna look really dated in 2009. But the gameplay (portal gun anyone...well I can hope) and a conclusion to the story, should still keep it as a desirable game of the future. If it goes to consoles, I hope the consolites don't dismiss it because of dated graphics. Anyway I'm ranting. We want Purple Box!!!

#27 Posted by RobertBowen (4094 posts) -

Call me strange, but I didn't get the Orange Box. I just got Episode 2 on its own via Steam. I wasn't really interested in TF2, and not interested enough in Portal to warrant getting the Orange Box. Maybe I'll cave in and get Portal at some point in the future, but it's not a priority for me. I already had HL2 and Episode 1, so the OB wasn't as attractive to me as it might have been.

The same can be said for any future package deals. If the other titles don't appeal to me, I probably won't bother and just get the title I do want via Steam. I'll definitely be getting Episode 3. Left 4 Dead doesn't really appeal to me. Portal 2 is another maybe.

On a side note, I think Valve have really nailed the right mix for these episodes so far. This is really how episodic games should be done, and I think the reason why I'm looking forward to the next one so much is due to the strong characterisation and variety of gameplay. I actually don't mind the linearity so much in the episodes.

#28 Posted by doctor_kaz (3340 posts) -

Knowing Valve, Portal 2 probably won't be out until late 2009 at least.