The office home theater speakers thread

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for GalvatronType_R
GalvatronType_R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 GalvatronType_R
Member since 2003 • 3098 Posts

Tips:

-DO NOT BUY BOSE. You can do much better for the same or just about as much as Bose costs. Also, there are rumors that Beats by Dr. Dre is going to get into the speaker game. If so, DO NOT BUY BEATS SPEAKERS.

-Listen to speakers in person. Be sure to audition speakers without a subwoofer activated or connected (to see if they can produce adequate bass by themselves). Turn the speakers up very loud to see if it can handle high volume without distortion and turn it down very low to see if it can produce subtle and more accurate sound.

-Bring along your own music is listen to a range of pieces from heavy bass like trance and house, vocal pieces with female voices (female vocals are probably the most difficult sounds to reproduce accurately), softer and more subtle pieces that emphasize mids and highs such as orchestral, and heavy rock and guitar pieces.

-Stick to well known brands such as B&W, Klipsch, Boston, Definitive Technology, Mirage, Energy, etc., Of course, you can spend more on elite brands such as Vienna Acoustics, Paradigm, Martin Logan, etc., but the previous brands can be just as good. If you can't spend that much, stick to less expensive yet very good brands such as Polk Audio, Wharfedale, etc. Also, generally, the brands that make decent electronics (Pioneer, Onkyo, Denon, Yamaha, etc.) do not make very good speakers.

-Size matters. If you get smaller satellites, despite what their marketing says, rarely do they sound as full, open, and deep as full sized speakers. If you have a smaller room or a wife who won't let you have full sized boxes, fine; but if you have a larger room, go with floorstanders or bookshelves.

-Get the biggest subwoofer you can afford, at least a 10" (or larger if you have a larger room). Yes, an 8 inch sub looks less conspicuous but I guarantee that it will chuff or clip once it is fed deep bassy sound. Keep in mind that a 12" sub can always be turned down for less bass with no side effects but an 8" sub cannot be turned up without muddy, chuffed, or clipped output.

-Unless you have a perfectly square or rectangular room with sidewalls, a soundbar will not effectively simulate a rear surround field. Separates are ALWAYS better than a single output solution.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts
*liked*
Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11120 Posts

You might want to swap B&W and Paradigm around...

Since when is B&W put in the same group as Energy, Mirage, Boston acoustics etc, and Paradigm is even considered "elite"

What has this got to do with office home theater speakers though? :p

But other than that, your information is correct and those are some basic tips that EVERYONE should follow.

Might want to add Dayton to your list of low budget speakers, as they make what is probably the cheapest quality speakers in the world

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

Since when is B&W put in the same group as Energy, Mirage, Boston acoustics etc, and Paradigm is even considered "elite"

But other than that, your information is correct and those are some basic tips that EVERYONE should follow.

Might want to add Dayton to your list of low budget speakers, as they make what is probably the cheapest quality speakers in the world

Mozelleple112
After seeing a pair of B&W Nautilous the other day that weighed more than me, I'm inclined to agree. Dayton do look like they make good value subs, shame i can't seem to find any in the uk. Also TC, I've listened to a pair of Yamaha studio monitors and they sounded very good.
Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11120 Posts
[QUOTE="Mozelleple112"]

kraken2109
After seeing a pair of B&W Nautilous the other day that weighed more than me, I'm inclined to agree. Dayton do look like they make good value subs, shame i can't seem to find any in the uk. Also TC, I've listened to a pair of Yamaha studio monitors and they sounded very good.

They're pretty damn neat.. My dad has them powered by Bryston monoblock amps, Mark Levinson DAC, Rotel receiver etc.. awesome. Norway's local hifi chain store called literally "the hifi club" imports B&W so I've been able to listen to every single pair they have :)
kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts
[QUOTE="kraken2109"][QUOTE="Mozelleple112"]

Mozelleple112

They're pretty damn neat.. My dad has them powered by Bryston monoblock amps, Mark Levinson DAC, Rotel receiver etc.. awesome. Norway's local hifi chain store called literally "the hifi club" imports B&W so I've been able to listen to every single pair they have :)

I wish I had had a chance to listen to them, they looked amazing. I did read that you need a huge amp to drive them though. On topic, I reckon we need a speaker FAQ to go with the headphone FAQ.
Wolfetan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Wolfetan
Member since 2010 • 7522 Posts

Good speakers for $400? I am willing to buy an amp but how much would that cost? Also floor standing or bookshelves I dont care. Whichever gives me the best sound:D. Im not a fan of too much bass so a sub is optional. I listen to folk, electronica, psychedelic rock, and alternative rock. My favorite bands are Animal Collective, Deerhunter, Radiohead, Neutral Milk Hotel, and Bon Iver. Would a O2 amp drive them? Or does it not work with speakers?

GalvatronType_R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 GalvatronType_R

^Get the Definitive Technology StudioMonitor 450 bookshelf speakers from Newegg for $280 (includes shipping). You won't regret it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882325060&Tpk=studiomonitor%20450#top

Wolfetan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Wolfetan

^Get the Definitive Technology StudioMonitor 450 bookshelf speakers from Newegg for $280 (includes shipping). You won't regret it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882325060&Tpk=studiomonitor%20450#top

GalvatronType_R
It says $600??? Anyways what about the Audioengine A5+?
GalvatronType_R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 GalvatronType_R

Hmm, the 450s were $280 when I posted.

The AEs aren't bad but the DefTechs are better. Newegg runs discounts all the time. If I were you, I'd keep checking the 450 page and pick them up when they go back to $280 (trust me, it will happen soon).

GalvatronType_R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 GalvatronType_R

DefTech StudioMonitor 350 for $200 shipped (until 10/15):http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882325059

DefTech StudioMonitor SM45 for $200 shipped:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882325106

Between the two, I'd opt for the 350. It can do deeper bass than the SM45 and has an 8" passive bass radiator (the SM45 only has a tweeter and driver).

Wolfetan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Wolfetan

DefTech StudioMonitor 350 for $200 shipped (until 10/15):http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882325059

DefTech StudioMonitor SM45 for $200 shipped:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882325106

Between the two, I'd opt for the 350. It can do deeper bass than the SM45 and has an 8" passive bass radiator (the SM45 only has a tweeter and driver).

GalvatronType_R
I think ill keep checking up on the 450 page as I want to get the best bang for my buck.