The next "Tech" you're waiting for...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

joseph_mach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 joseph_mach
Member since 2003 • 3898 Posts

So, after going through a few posts, I really started looking at my "now aging" Sandy Bridge 2500k and thought about when I should update it. With things like DDR-4, Broadwell-K, etc coming down the pipeline, I was wondering what everyone's next "need to have it-before you upgrade" part was.

Personally, I'd like to hold out until Skylake comes out before swapping out the old Sandy, but I'm sure that will mean switching out to a new mobo/chipset as well.

Then I've got my 7950. It's a great card, probably the best I've ever had, but I'm wondering when and with what I'll switch it out. Seeing as how Nvidia has its 8xx series nearing release, and I'm sure we'll hear about something from AMD later this year (after this mostly rebrands), I'm curious to see how much longer my 7950 will last at the level I like to play at (maxed everything at a decent clip at 1080p min). Even though I know that going from PCI-E 2.0-3.0 and eventually to 4.0 will take awhile to really be taken advantage of, 4.0 looks awfully tempting.

I really can't wait until all these next gen parts start rolling out as by then, I know my computer is going to be chugging along like the little mid-atx box that could. (I think I can, I think I can...)

What are you all waiting for, or looking forward to?

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

@joseph_mach said:

So, after going through a few posts, I really started looking at my "now aging" Sandy Bridge 2500k and thought about when I should update it. With things like DDR-4, Broadwell-K, etc coming down the pipeline, I was wondering what everyone's next "need to have it-before you upgrade" part was.

Personally, I'd like to hold out until Skylake comes out before swapping out the old Sandy, but I'm sure that will mean switching out to a new mobo/chipset as well.

Then I've got my 7950. It's a great card, probably the best I've ever had, but I'm wondering when and with what I'll switch it out. Seeing as how Nvidia has its 8xx series nearing release, and I'm sure we'll hear about something from AMD later this year (after this mostly rebrands), I'm curious to see how much longer my 7950 will last at the level I like to play at (maxed everything at a decent clip at 1080p min). Even though I know that going from PCI-E 2.0-3.0 and eventually to 4.0 will take awhile to really be taken advantage of, 4.0 looks awfully tempting.

I really can't wait until all these next gen parts start rolling out as by then, I know my computer is going to be chugging along like the little mid-atx box that could. (I think I can, I think I can...)

What are you all waiting for, or looking forward to?

There's not actual improvements going from PCI 2 to 3, not that much that matters that makes you want to upgeade to a whole new MOBO.

2500K is fine CPU, I can only recommend you to upgrade into GTX770 and above as this way you actual feel the performance boost.

Never upgrade on assumptions, every year there's new tech coming up but that doesn't mean game requirements are going to change.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

I want wireless electricity.... I'm sick of cables.

Avatar image for gogoplexiorayo2
Gogoplexiorayo2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 5

#4 Gogoplexiorayo2
Member since 2013 • 189 Posts

im waiting for games to challenge my card at 1080p. I think the witcher 3 will be the first!

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

Well I was waiting for 'next gen' but nothing that impressive has happened yet.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By FelipeInside

@kraken2109 said:

Well I was waiting for 'next gen' but nothing that impressive has happened yet.

If you're talking about graphics, something like Tomb Raider impressed me a lot. The Division also looks amazing.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

Oculus rift... I've been waiting and waiting and waiting.

Arthas045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Arthas045
Member since 2005 • 5800 Posts

Oculus Rift is about it, but I am not sold on it. I almost think I would rather upgrade to 3D gaming instead.

naz99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By naz99
Member since 2002 • 2941 Posts

Occulus Rift. and i am sold on it.

Also lol at aging Sandy Bridge....that's a 3rd generation chip...Im still on a 1st gen socket 1156 i7 860 that's over 4 years old...I overclocked it to 4ghz and I still have no reason to upgrade for the forseeable future and you think your cpu is out of date....you can upgrade but you may as just set fire to your money.

You also will not see a massive difference going from DDR3 to DDR4 at least not for the year or 2....

Also again PCI E speed is a non issue also you will not see an advantage jumping from 2 to 3 or to 4 for at least a few years.

It's all just a waste of cash if you already have a powerfull system, which you do.

Waiting for the new Graphics cards to come out and upgrading to one of them will give you a massive boost but everything else? ....Meh

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

Just maxwell

mastershake575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 mastershake575
Member since 2007 • 8574 Posts

2500K (especially if overclocked) is like 4-5 times faster than the consoles CPU (its super fast and the jump from 2nd gen to 4th gen clock for clock isn't that big). CPU is the least of anyone's worries this generation (There's a good chance that the next set of GPU"s start offloading some of the CPU workload onto the GPU + most modern CPU's are 4-6x faster than the consoles).

DDR4 isn't going to be a big deal (DDR3 with decent speeds offer plenty of bandwidth).

I am really looking forward to Maxwell. Its been over two years since 28nm GPU's and im waiting for 20nm, especially since if the delay didn't happen then they would already be out around now.

A $400 GTX 870 should offer 780ti/GTX690 performance and the 880 should offer a decent boost over a 780ti (should be exciting).

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12  Edited By JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

144hz 2560x1440/1600 at 24in

Avatar image for deactivated-579f651eab962
deactivated-579f651eab962

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 deactivated-579f651eab962
Member since 2003 • 5404 Posts

@FelipeInside said:

^^^This.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

Lol at aging CPU, I've got an i5 2500 too and it's perfectly fine. Even with a GTX 460 I'm happy with my performance and I play at 1080p.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 FelipeInside

@BattleSpectre said:

Lol at aging CPU, I've got an i5 2500 too and it's perfectly fine. Even with a GTX 460 I'm happy with my performance and I play at 1080p.

People feel that they have to upgrade every 6 months to get good performance. I upgrade only every 2-3 years.

Your specs are fine for the next couple of years, you just might need to turn down some heavy games here and there (although games are getting better and better at optimization).

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127501 Posts

@FelipeInside said:

Hell yes!

TC - Skylake is supposed to mean a lot of new features from what I can gather. PCI-e 4th gen, DDR4, SATA-express. However we aren't limited in bandwidth PCI-e 2nd yet at x16, however I assume with the increase in bandwidth, you can use a 4x port at 4th gen speed with SLI. SATA express... Well if you feel your SSD is to fast for SATA III...

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 GeryGo  Moderator

TBH Ocolus Rift with Improved Kinnect would make any small room into a battlefield

thereal25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#18 thereal25
Member since 2011 • 2074 Posts

OCCULUS RIFT

WINDOWS 9

DDR4 RAM

Avatar image for deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
deactivated-5bda06edf37ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19 deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
Member since 2010 • 4675 Posts

Source 2, please.

cyloninside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By cyloninside
Member since 2014 • 815 Posts

@joseph_mach: windows surface pro 3.... with Nvidia Tegra processor.... so i can have a tablet with full windows that can most likely actually play real games decently.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-5bda06edf37ee

@cyloninside said:

@joseph_mach: windows surface pro 3.... with Nvidia Tegra processor.... so i can have a tablet with full windows that can most likely actually play real games decently.

how do you play real games on a tablet?

cyloninside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 cyloninside
Member since 2014 • 815 Posts

@groowagon said:

@cyloninside said:

the surface pro's have full windows installed. you can install any application on them that you can install on a normal PC. a lot of people run steam and play indie games from steam on their surface pro 2. you can even plug in an xbox 360 wired controller.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-5bda06edf37ee

@cyloninside said:

@groowagon said:

@cyloninside said:

the surface pro's have full windows installed. you can install any application on them that you can install on a normal PC. a lot of people run steam and play indie games from steam on their surface pro 2. you can even plug in an xbox 360 wired controller.

sounds cool, actually. Dark Souls on the go? count me in. you could just yell at random people on the bus/plane when you get frustrated.

mastershake575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By mastershake575
Member since 2007 • 8574 Posts

I put Maxwell as my answer above but I also forgot about monitors.

I'm hoping that 4K pushes 1440/1600P monitors down in price since they are a joke right now (to go from a 1080P ultrasharp to 1440p ultrasharp, I would have to pay bare ass minimum $500 which is like 3x more money than my current 1080p ultrasharp.......... what a rip off). 1600P monitors are often $100-200 more than 1440p

Hopefully 4K pushes nice 1440/1600p monitor to $300 or less next year

Fire_Wa11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#25  Edited By Fire_Wa11
Member since 2008 • 600 Posts

I am most looking forward to a form of technology allowing for the holding up of legged pants. Perhaps some form of buckle-tech...or rope-and-pulley powered. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuIbdMZ_tfY

NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By NVIDIATI
Member since 2010 • 8463 Posts

@cyloninside said:

Nvidia Tegra is an ARM based SoC, not x86-64.

Bay Trail (x86-64) tablets already run full windows and can play some basic games decently (Portal 2, Half Life 2, etc.). Intel's Cherry Trail will be considerably more powerful than Bay Trail and is launching at the end of this year.

There is also AMD's Mullins coming out towards the end of this year, but it will not be as powerful as Clover Trail.

superclocked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 superclocked
Member since 2009 • 5864 Posts

My CPU and GPU are plenty fast enough for now, so I'm just excited about the Oculus Rift at the moment. I'm looking forward to it far more than anything else on the horizon, that's for sure...

joseph_mach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 joseph_mach
Member since 2003 • 3898 Posts

I was actually just kind of joking about the "my aging Sandy". I know it'll last me for quite awhile to come, but mostly I was just saying that I'm really looking forward to Skylake. And I'm in the same boat with a lot of you here. Waiting on Oculus Rift as well. Heck, I'm even curious to see what (puts on my anti-flame suit) Sony has to say tomorrow about their VR headset. Been waiting a long time for VR to be done right, and I think we're right on the edge of some really fun experiences.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 FelipeInside

@SEANMCAD said:

@PredatorRules said:

TBH Ocolus Rift with Improved Kinnect would make any small room into a battlefield

throw in some projectors as well...

looking forward to it.

Loading Video...

Sharpie125

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#32 Sharpie125
Member since 2005 • 3904 Posts

@groowagon said:

@cyloninside said:

@groowagon said:

@cyloninside said:

sounds cool, actually. Dark Souls on the go? count me in. you could just yell at random people on the bus/plane when you get frustrated.

Surface Pro 2 is a nice powerful thing you wouldn't expect. There's lists you can find showing that people have been running stuff like Alan Wake, Alice, League of Legends, Civilization V for myself, on SP1 and 2 (although for the more intensive games on medium or low). That's fine with me since I've got my desktop; I just put the strategy/puzzle games I'd never play on my desktop on my SP2. I've got Hearts of Iron 3/Unity of Command and FTL so far installed (I hear there's going to be touch support soon) as well as Jagged Alliance 2, but I'm having issues getting that to work with Windows 8 overall...

Anyway, love my Surface Pro 2. Can't recommend it enough!

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator

@FelipeInside said:

@SEANMCAD said:

@PredatorRules said:

throw in some projectors as well...

looking forward to it.

Loading Video...

I saw this vid, it's a nice attempt but I think improved sensors such as Kinect (not current version) will do much more and require less space.

Also you can't prone with this thing.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator

@SEANMCAD said:

@PredatorRules: how are you going to run with a Kinect

Easy, like other games do on the Xbox

Ever played Wii? holding both controls one is going up, the other down - simulates running

AlexKidd5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 AlexKidd5000
Member since 2005 • 3103 Posts

@FelipeInside said:

@BattleSpectre said:

People feel that they have to upgrade every 6 months to get good performance. I upgrade only every 2-3 years.

Your specs are fine for the next couple of years, you just might need to turn down some heavy games here and there (although games are getting better and better at optimization).

My CPU is almost 4 years old, and its doing just fine.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

A device that dispenses smells from the games I'm playing.

Avatar image for insane_metalist
insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#39 insane_metalist
Member since 2006 • 7797 Posts

Only things I'm gonna upgrade are to DDR4 & possibly newer gen GPU. I'm not sure about GPU though. Two of my 760s run everything maxed. I'm pretty good for now.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#40 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

Oculus Rift and GTX 880