The game with the best community?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

imnotapoof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 imnotapoof
Member since 2006 • 393 Posts
In my oppinion it is maybe WoW. When i played Guild wars i was shocked to see how bad the community was. Submit your answers here
nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#2 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts

shocked with guild wars huh? I found it really quite pleasant, then again I play cs and bf :)

I guess having a monthly fee weeds out a few tards along the way.

markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts
i'm not sure if you just mean online games, but rollercoaster tycoon as a good community
Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#4 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts
When i used to play Age of Mythology i thought the community was great. Havn't played AOE3 online in a while, but when i did the community was also very good.
Zero_Space

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#5 Zero_Space
Member since 2007 • 659 Posts

In my oppinion it is maybe WoW. When i played Guild wars i was shocked to see how bad the community was. Submit your answers hereimnotapoof

WoW with the best community? No way. Blizzard has the worst community of any developer ever. I like their games, but the fact remains their community is terrible. Too many immature idiots.

Deviliver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Deviliver
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

I think WoW is almost irrelevant here, because there are so many people playing it there is a very, very, wide selection of people and its down to luck whom you meet. I wouldn't call it best community though lol.

Ehm, I should honestly say that my best experience was probably in EQ2, LOTR:Online and Neverwinter Nights.

zero9167

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 zero9167
Member since 2005 • 14554 Posts
WoW has a good community just because there's so many people. You run into some bad some good. But rating a community on people's attitude is just stupid.
Deihmos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Deihmos
Member since 2007 • 7819 Posts
The first Counter Strike is still the most popular online shooter.
Avatar image for thebrantmeister
thebrantmeister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 thebrantmeister
Member since 2007 • 181 Posts
I think that Guild Wars has a great community. I've been playing it for about a year now, and I am quite pleased. I didn't notice any difference between Guild Wars and World of Warcraft except for the fact that you have to pay monthly to be included in the World of Warcraft community...
RK-Mara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#10 RK-Mara
Member since 2006 • 11489 Posts
LOTRO has a great community. At least on Snowbourn, because that's where most beta testers went.
Deviliver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Deviliver
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

LOTRO has a great community. At least on Snowbourn, because that's where most beta testers went.RK-Mara

Yeah but tbh LOTRO gets boring way too quickly, and the updates on the horizon are not too exciting... Tiers, raid instances... meh. Also, Turbine CMs are horrendous, the kind of names and guild names that they force you to change are a joke, and most of the time they are unhelpful and very blatantly answer you like a robot from their manual.

AngelB1ack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 AngelB1ack
Member since 2005 • 7936 Posts
I say tomatoe you say tamato...Guild Wars community has always been very helpful and pleasant for me. Pay to play communities though are another story. Looking forward to eye of the north and guild wars 2!
lol_waffles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 lol_waffles
Member since 2006 • 1826 Posts
WoW? WoW has a terrible community. It's full of elitists and morons.
Zero_Space

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#14 Zero_Space
Member since 2007 • 659 Posts

WoW has a good community just because there's so many people. You run into some bad some good. But rating a community on people's attitude is just stupid.zero9167

How else do you rate a community? I'd say that attitude has everything to do with what makes a community good or bad. Also, large numbers of players does not equal a good community. Yes, there are a good number of people who play WoW who aren't immature or elitist, but the squeaky wheel gets the oil, as the saying goes. Unfortunately, there's quite a few bad apples to spoil the bunch.

Minglis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#15 Minglis
Member since 2004 • 476 Posts

the day of defeat community imo was always great, friendly and not too many **** or people who think they own the world because they are the best at a pc game.

counterstrike has the worst community, by far

matinog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 matinog
Member since 2004 • 794 Posts
the best comunity i have ever found is FFXI. I am still freakin impressed by how nice the people are. The people that still play will gladly put in 8 hours just helping you out, from a near random stranger, try that with wow..... I miss FFXI *tear*
Jagg3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Jagg3d
Member since 2007 • 773 Posts

I think the Red Orchestra community is pretty mature and welcoming overall.

and I felt like the original BF1942 was good online for a while, the newer ones, not so much

matinog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 matinog

I think the Red Orchestra community is pretty mature and welcoming overall.

and I felt like the original BF1942 was good online for a while, the newer ones, not so much

Jagg3d

but red orchestra is one slow game so what would you epect.

Jagg3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Jagg3d
true but I'm saying the community is willing to help and offer clan memberships more readily than othergames mostly
matinog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 matinog

true but I'm saying the community is willing to help and offer clan memberships more readily than othergames mostlyJagg3d

mature people are more patient so a slow game probably has more mature people. Im not saying anything agaisnt you, im just affirming what you said, and impliyng that i hate the game.

Nyx-Risa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Nyx-Risa
Member since 2007 • 100 Posts

I find it to be too hard to really judge communities for games like WoW becuase the community is so diverse. You end up meeting wonderful people who are very engaging, then you meet the complete opposite tyype of person which leaves a bad taste in your mouth. The one community that seems to be more positive overall than most is for Elder Scrolls games. I know it's an offline game, but the community is quite large and are positive for the most part.

I think the Elder Scrolls community is better because the game is so open for modding so it attracts people who are graphics designers and good coders to be the leaders of the community. To enjoy spending hours making mods for games without being paid a significant amount of money usually means you really love that game.

matinog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 matinog
oh yea an Counter Strike Source has a really good community...if you know were to look. Its a weird community though, if you are not liked you will get **** but im pretty much immune from anything in servers that i play in.
TheFLCLPope88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 TheFLCLPope88
Member since 2003 • 2172 Posts
Some Half-Life/2 mods tend to have a nice community (Usually the ones that don't appear on the Steam Mods list, but there are exceptions). Some older games also tend to have nice communities. NeverWinter Nights & Final Fantasy XI, has some of the nicest people (especially FFXI).
BornGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 BornGamer
Member since 2005 • 1318 Posts
The IL-2 Sturmovik multiplayer community is easily the best in my opinion.
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#25 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58155 Posts

In my oppinion it is maybe WoW. When i played Guild wars i was shocked to see how bad the community was. Submit your answers hereimnotapoof

Ya I gotta agree here, everyone in Guild Wars either talks nothing but business or theyre elitists. I remember my first day I logged on, said "hello" to everyone and nobody said anything. I had to privately whisper random people to get any help.

In WoW, atleast people socialize, tell jokes, and poke fun at each other...anyone who gets offended either never had brothers or friends cuz honestly, dont we always poke fun at each other? Also, Ive never had more fun talking to people I dont know than when I chat with my guild.

Also, EVE's community was very very good during the free trial I played. People were helpful, which is good due to the complexity of the game, and they were social as well.

Jagg3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Jagg3d

^^ EVE was a great community too yes. I had a good experience with the trial version got in a good corporation and everything. Unfortuately I didn't want to spend hours mining by myself so I didn't stick with it.

The look for the perfect game continues I guess

LiLsLashy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 LiLsLashy
Member since 2006 • 1082 Posts

WoW has the biggest community of any online games, but it's difficult to find a good crowd unless you decide to join a non-endgame guild. The smaller guilds that don't take treat the game like a job tend to be populated by generally nice people.

Basically, most of the smaller games have great communities. Take Titan Quest for instance. It's a complete Diablo clone, yet the small group of players who regularly play online and don't cheat are some great folks. Diablo II: LOD on the other hand, features the worst collection of gamers I have ever come across.

DABhand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#28 DABhand
Member since 2005 • 174 Posts

This is a difficult thing to answer, all communities wether it a gaming or any other will have idiots and good people.

With smaller fan based games, you will notice the good people more than bad, but with huge fan base like WoW you will notice more bad than good due to the size of the community.

Either way small or huge, the fan base has an equally proportional amount of bad and good anyway. Its like if it was a life design "Thou shall havest 30% bad people and 70% good people"

But.... It all depends on the developers also, if they are willing to sit and be a part of the community also and help people and generally converse then they will give a good feeling among a community.

Blizzard do the opposite in my opinion, the way they treat customers and give people little information on things going wrong is very bad.

So what has been the best community for me so far, has to be the Homeworld community, the modding etc was just fun to be within, nobody was badly treated and the developers were great.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#29 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58155 Posts

WoW has the biggest community of any online games, but it's difficult to find a good crowd unless you decide to join a non-endgame guild. The smaller guilds that don't take treat the game like a job tend to be populated by generally nice people.

Basically, most of the smaller games have great communities. Take Titan Quest for instance. It's a complete Diablo clone, yet the small group of players who regularly play online and don't cheat are some great folks. Diablo II: LOD on the other hand, features the worst collection of gamers I have ever come across.

LiLsLashy

Ya, if you join an endgame instancing guild youve pretty much doomed yourself to either hanging out with a bunch of businessmen and fanatics, and you might find yourself getting "addicted" since youre obligated to play the game so frequently.

"FEEFTY DEE KAY PEE MY-NUS!"

RK-Mara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 RK-Mara
Member since 2006 • 11489 Posts
I also love the community in Battlefield Pirates mod for Battlefield 1942. I've been part of the community for three years now, we've gotten bored of Battlefield Pirates, but now we play other games together.
llakallaka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 llakallaka
Member since 2006 • 1230 Posts
WiC will be... @ least the beta tester is...
NamelessPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 NamelessPlayer
Member since 2004 • 7729 Posts
If we're not restricted to PC games, then I'd say that Steel Battalion: Line of Contact has the best multiplayer community I've met. Of course, it's VERY small, and I got my set after Campaign shut down, but there aren't any smacktards or whatnot among us(though I do get frustrated playing it since I have much less experience than everyone else, which leads to a lot of hitting the big red button). WoW left a bad taste in my mouth in the very short time that I tried it, mostly due to the combat system, but also due to one unsavory person who claimed that I stole a kill when I engaged an enemy first, fair and square. That said, I did have at least one person just come up and buff me, if for no other reason than goodwill. The stories that I've heard about EVE's community sound great(I even read one about a great scam-better not get caught in one of those!), but the gameplay doesn't appear to appeal to me. It seems more like WoW in the sense that in combat, victory is dictated by stats and equipment, NOT skill(mostly because of hitting number keys to attack and not actually flying around like you would in something like Independence War). I also played PlanetSide for a short while, and was in a small outfit that I helped start. It was pretty fun when I actually was part of a group of people launching coordinated attacks over TeamSpeak and everything, but given my 2002-era PC that couldn't keep up with this unoptimized mess of a game, I eventually quit because I just got fed up with the hitching that severely hindered my ability to survive(imagine when an enemy is in your base, you find her, and prepare to shoot just when the computer seizes up, and when it picks back up, you're staring at a corpse, and it isn't hers). I may start playing again when I get my new PC soon, but I don't like paying recurring fees, and I'm also looking into trying WWII Online when the new PC arrives. I was also thinking about perhaps testing the online community of a flight sim like IL-2 or Aces High-they ought to be more mature than your typical mainstream FPS community. The only problem is, I have a hard time just fighting the AI in IL-2(not due to my controls, because I have high-end CH Products USB gear), and don't want to make myself the laughingstock of the entire community because I can hardly manage to hit anyone for some reason(and when I do land a few shots, they just keep on going), and I can't really shake the AI off my six, much less a skilled human pilot.
BounceDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#33 BounceDK
Member since 2005 • 7388 Posts
World War II Online. 10% whiners, 90% awesome guys & gals.
Mlazaro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#34 Mlazaro
Member since 2007 • 372 Posts
Delta Force Blackhawk Down MP..Some great people..
kpsting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 kpsting
Member since 2005 • 2452 Posts

Ya I gotta agree here, everyone in Guild Wars either talks nothing but business or theyre elitists. I remember my first day I logged on, said "hello" to everyone and nobody said anything. I had to privately whisper random people to get any help.
mrbojangles25

I think the part of the reason why you were ignored is this. In practice there are no separate servers in GW, so for example american "part" has, lets say, half a million or more ppl in it instead of couple thousand ppl on WoW servers, where I can imagine every1 can know every1 else after a month or so. In GW there is a high chence you'll never meet the same player ever again. You wanna be more friendly with ppl in GW? you have to join a guild.

Funkyhamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Funkyhamster
Member since 2005 • 17366 Posts

When i used to play Age of Mythology i thought the community was great. Havn't played AOE3 online in a while, but when i did the community was also very good. Rattlesnake_8

Yeah, AOM's always had a good community.

mrxdemix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#37 mrxdemix
Member since 2004 • 1427 Posts

WoW? WoW has a terrible community. It's full of elitists and morons.lol_waffles

Yep and I used to be one. No matter where you go there will always be children and dbags. I actually find CS to have the worst community out of everything. It seems like everyone that you scrim against or pub with will yell foul language and call people hackers. Best community.. hmm. In my opinion, Guild Wars. It was the only big online game I have played that I met some normal people and got to know em.

the_mad_madman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 the_mad_madman
Member since 2004 • 316 Posts

Thief community.

Long guides dedicated to getting these older games working on new comps, new missions and mods still being released regularly and an entire retail quality unofficial expansion pack with 13 missions as well as between mission cinematics with quality voice acting free for download, took over 5 years to make. Just look up T2X on google if you don't believe me. Not to mention the Dark Mod dedicated to making multiplayer thief style gameplay on the Doom 3 engine. That's only a taste of how active these guys and gals are supporting a series that isn't even around anymore.

Name another community that has that? Thief community is amazing, some great guys on those forums.