The future of SSDs

• 130 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

You may wonder why I'm in particular the guy on this forum that always not recommending SSD when building a rig will even talk about SSDs? well it simple, because as many times as I've said before price/performance ratio; You can have i7 with GTX780ti and your 7200rpm 64Mb will do the trick, if you want more you can always get a 10k rpm which cost a bit more, but nothing as more as you'd spent on SSD.

You can get Samsung Electronics 840 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5-Inch SATA III for about 160$ and 500Gb for 320$

Now with that amount of money you can get WD Black 4 TB Desktop Hard Drive: 3.5 Inch, 7200 RPM, SATA III, 64 MB Cache for 250$ - more space than you'll ever need.

Now some may say 250Gb will suit them well, I've been worried with 500Gb last time I had such a small HDD, I currently own 1TB for over 6 years and not worried at all; now to get the same HDD space in SSD I'd pay 545$ which is unacceptable for me where I can pay only 60$ for that space.

Anyway after reading my opinion, as you know the fastest SSD I sure know is SATA3 with 550Mb of read and write.

May I introduce you to the next generation of SSDs: (I do hope your next builds will have extra PCIe slot)

"

• OCZ Z-Drive R4 series:
  • Up to 2,800MB/s Sequential Read/Write

Now this IS a BEAST!!! finally a good news for faster computers, lower SSD prices and a better price/performance ratio.

What do you think?

PS you can get it on 1.2Tb version - will cost you like 2X 4k 65' TVs =)

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

SSD aren't about space,they are about speed.

So you get one and install your most used games\apps and call it a day.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3  Edited By JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

Having a fast general computing experience is what I prefer way over a big giant hard drive that takes forever to do anything.

I'd definitely choose a SSD over a GPU if it means stepping down the gpu selection.

You get a large hard drive for storage. E.g I use 2x120gb vertex 3 SSDs in RAID 0, and 2x3tb drives in RAID 1 + 2x500gb RAID 1 for storage

Also that's for servers.

jcknapier711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 jcknapier711
Member since 2012 • 470 Posts

You can get 128GB SSDs pretty cheap these days. I got mine for 80$. Yea, I could have gotten a 1TB drive for little more, but I already have three of those and I was looking for a boot drive so... Although, if you're just looking to buy a new computer and you don't have a hard drive or need the space on your boot drive then I suppose it might be better to get a mechanical drive.

demi0227_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 demi0227_basic
Member since 2002 • 1940 Posts

SSD's aren't necessary...but I say they should be, at least for a boot drive. It's nice to have a spare one as well as a "steam" drive if possible. As you mentioned, at their price point, they are very expensive compared to hdd...but everybody knows that. What they are useful for is loading times of game, where their advantage is potentially huge. For example, quick travel in games is GREATLY improved on an SSD for the shortened load time.

Zelda187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#7  Edited By Zelda187
Member since 2005 • 1047 Posts

I just don't care for owning one until they come down in price...bigtime.

You'd be hard pressed to find a good 1 TB SSD for under $500.

Personally, It doesn't really bother me if my computer takes an extra 15 or so seconds to boot up.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

@JigglyWiggly_ said:

Having a fast general computing experience is what I prefer way over a big giant hard drive that takes forever to do anything.

I'd definitely choose a SSD over a GPU if it means stepping down the gpu selection.

You get a large hard drive for storage. E.g I use 2x120gb vertex 3 SSDs in RAID 0, and 2x3tb drives in RAID 1 + 2x500gb RAID 1 for storage

Also that's for servers.

This exactly ^^^

SSD's aren't storage drives people, they are for boot drives and frequently used apps and games.

To anyone looking at/wanting a 1TB SSD, your an idiot.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

I wouldn't go OCZ anything, especially now that they have gone bankrupt.

Zelda187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Zelda187

@GTR12 said:

@JigglyWiggly_ said:

Also that's for servers.

This exactly ^^^

SSD's aren't storage drives people, they are for boot drives and frequently used apps and games.

To me, anyone who would buy an SSD period isn't exactly a genius.

Like I said, you can't wait an extra 15-20 seconds for your PC to boot up? Just go take a piss and when you get back, you'll be on your desktop.

Can't wait an extra 2-3 seconds for your game to load? You must be one impatient sumbitch.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By FelipeInside

@Zelda187 said:

@GTR12 said:

@JigglyWiggly_ said:

Also that's for servers.

This exactly ^^^

Like I said, you can't wait an extra 15-20 seconds for your PC to boot up? Just go take a piss and when you get back, you'll be on your desktop.

Can't wait an extra 2-3 seconds for your game to load? You must be one impatient sumbitch.

LOL at Zelda saying people are impatient. Trust me, try out an SSD and then come back and say the same thing. Once ur used to SSD speeds a HDD seems slow and old. It's not about being impatient, it's about productivity.

As for GTR12 saying people wanting a 1TB SSD are idiots, it depends on the usage. A guy I know bought one (he is pretty rich since he works at the mines) for his Playstation 4 since he downloads lots of movies, TV shows and games. In the case it's warranted cause there is no use to buy a smaller one and then upgrade.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By JigglyWiggly_

@Zelda187 said:

@GTR12 said:

@JigglyWiggly_ said:

Also that's for servers.

This exactly ^^^

no

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 GeryGo  Moderator

I can't believe people that say that new tech which obviously costs more is used for only "big" purposes; you've missed my whole point for this post, in 2 years everyone will own 1TB of 550Mb write/read because it's going to be affordable not because you use it for installed games/boot - it's because you could in few years, where 1TB of such SSD would cost only double of normal HDD for about 120$.

@FelipeInside said:

LOL at Zelda saying people are impatient. Trust me, try out an SSD and then come back and say the same thing. Once ur used to SSD speeds a HDD seems slow and old. It's not about being impatient, it's about productivity.

As for GTR12 saying people wanting a 1TB SSD are idiots, it depends on the usage. A guy I know bought one (he is pretty rich since he works at the mines) for his Playstation 4 since he downloads lots of movies, TV shows and games. In the case it's warranted cause there is no use to buy a smaller one and then upgrade.

What do you produce while loading your PC? I haven't seen 1 "work" PC that ownes SSD, while talking about work PC I don't mean a home PC that used for work; I mean most places ownes a pretty damn old HTPCs.

@JigglyWiggly_ said:

WAT!? you mean you're going to lower your gaming for about 5-15fps just to have 2-3 sec faster loading times while gaming and for boot?

@MonsieurX said:

Trust me when they're going to be mainstreamed you'll change your talk.

@GTR12 said:

It's not about wanting, everyone want's 1TB of SSD, the question is can you afford it? =)

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By JigglyWiggly_

@PredatorRules said:

I can't believe people that say that new tech which obviously costs more is used for only "big" purposes; you've missed my whole point for this post, in 2 years everyone will own 1TB of 550Mb write/read because it's going to be affordable not because you use it for installed games/boot - it's because you could in few years, where 1TB of such SSD would cost only double of normal HDD for about 120$.

@FelipeInside said:

What do you produce while loading your PC? I haven't seen 1 "work" PC that ownes SSD, while talking about work PC I don't mean a home PC that used for work; I mean most places ownes a pretty damn old HTPCs.

@JigglyWiggly_ said:

WAT!? you mean you're going to lower your gaming for about 5-15fps just to have 2-3 sec faster loading times while gaming and for boot?

@MonsieurX said:

Trust me when they're going to be mainstreamed you'll change your talk.

@GTR12 said:

It's not about wanting, everyone want's 1TB of SSD, the question is can you afford it? =)

it's not about boot times, it's about launching a program and it launching nearly instantenous

with a hard drive if I am copying files and then try to launch photoshop or ms word, it will take forever to load

hard drives are absolutely frustrating for me to use

this video speaks for itself

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiLSXvNaCME&t=1m15s

and almost all the games I play I am cpu limited, not gpu limited--and I am on my desktop far more than playing a game

C_Rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By C_Rule
Member since 2008 • 9816 Posts

This thread is bad and you should feel bad.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 GeryGo  Moderator

@JigglyWiggly_ said:

it's not about boot times, it's about launching a program and it launching nearly instantenous

with a hard drive if I am copying files and then try to launch photoshop or ms word, it will take forever to load

and almost all the games I play I am cpu limited, not gpu limited--and I am on my desktop far more than playing a game

Well if you are CPU limited becasue of using so many programs you should buy FX8XXX from AMD and even Quadro 4000/6000, they are known for more efficient program handle; BTW that vid is pure BS, I don't know on what HDD he's using, but I did run all of my programs to check out if I get the same results and I must say I did get results as fast as the SSD did in that vid.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 JigglyWiggly_

yeah no, i've had fast 500gig 7200rpm enterprise drives in RAID 0, and they are just as slow as in that video.

Also what programs? TERA, Tribes Ascend, Battlefield 3/4, or any game really is maxed out by cpu first than my gpu.

TERA is dualcore /three core threaded and needs insane single core performance(People still get drops to 20fps on nexuis)

Tribes Ascend is UT3 and UT3 loves CPU speed, and games like this you want 144fps+

Battlfield 4 is completely CPU dependant

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By FelipeInside

@PredatorRules said:

@JigglyWiggly_ said:

Well if you are CPU limited becasue of using so many programs you should buy FX8XXX from AMD and even Quadro 4000/6000, they are known for more efficient program handle; BTW that vid is pure BS, I don't know on what HDD he's using, but I did run all of my programs to check out if I get the same results and I must say I did get results as fast as the SSD did in that vid.

Let me ask one simple question:

Have you even used a PC with an SSD?

I can't believe you are defending a HDD over an SSD with pros. Please stop cause honestly you're looking pretty stupid doing so. The only cons SSDs have are the ones I mentioned before (price and recovery for now). In 10 years time every PC will have SSDs in them.

If you can afford an SSD for the boot and application drive you would be stupid not to buy one.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 GeryGo  Moderator

@FelipeInside said:

@PredatorRules said:

@JigglyWiggly_ said:

I can't believe you are defending a HDD over an SSD with pros. Please stop cause honestly you're looking pretty stupid doing so. The only cons SSDs have are the ones I mentioned before (price and recovery for now). In 10 years time every PC will have SSDs in them.

If you can afford an SSD for the boot and application drive you would be stupid not to buy one.

I had 2 SSDs one by Corsair the other was G.Skill which I gave to a friend of mine which also defended SSD as you guys do.

Anyway it's not in 10 years everyone will own SSD, I'm going to own one in 2-3 years when the 3Gb/s PCIe will come to the public market; A 550Mb/s one with 1TB space;

All I'm saying is the future is finally bright with 8K TVs coming out and 3Gb/s SSD to be able to transfer the big space that those 8K movies are going to take.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 FelipeInside

@PredatorRules said:

@FelipeInside said:

@PredatorRules said:

@JigglyWiggly_ said:

I had 2 SSDs one by Corsair the other was G.Skill which I gave to a friend of mine which also defended SSD as you guys do.

Anyway it's not in 10 years everyone will own SSD, I'm going to own one in 2-3 years when the 3Gb/s PCIe will come to the public market; A 550Mb/s one with 1TB space;

All I'm saying is the future is finally bright with 8K TVs coming out and 3Gb/s SSD to be able to transfer the big space that those 8K movies are going to take.

So if you're going to own one then why are you against recommending them?

marcthpro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#21  Edited By marcthpro
Member since 2003 • 7927 Posts

@PredatorRules said:

8K gonna take a while to be there and won't be below 85 inch screen AFAIK Over 4K HDTV which is said you can't noticeable the difference below 50-55 inch unless you sit at 2 feet of ur HDTV

however the point is probably a SSD that above 400MB/S can play 8K HDTV content and it unlikely a 8K HDTV go below 40K as to notice Difference you have to go in the 80 inch + and those TV COST lot of money

on a Bright side it might be possible to buy a 4K HDTV within 2 Year of now below 2K USD but to notice Difference it would have to be one of those 55 inch

The SSD you listed is a enterprise model so unaffordable for those who doesn't have a 4K HDTV yet

and there is Alternative cheaper coming out soon with the Controller from LSI known as SF3700 PCI-E 2.0 4X native allowing 1.8Gb/s Bandwidth it might be possible to buy those SSD for 350-450$ for 256-34x Format within Spring

thought it almost impossible to fit a PCI-E 2.0 SSD with ATX Format Support with Two video card + sound card gotta go E-ATX for that :P

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 GeryGo  Moderator

@FelipeInside said:

@PredatorRules said:

@FelipeInside said:

@PredatorRules said:

@JigglyWiggly_ said:

I'm against recommending them for their high price/performance ATM a 550$ 1TB looks pretty pricy for most people, I think I would spend that amount on a GPU.

James161324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By James161324
Member since 2009 • 8315 Posts

@PredatorRules said:

@FelipeInside said:

@PredatorRules said:

@FelipeInside said:

@PredatorRules said:

@JigglyWiggly_ said:

I'm against recommending them for their high price/performance ATM a 550$ 1TB looks pretty pricy for most people, I think I would spend that amount on a GPU.

if your blowing 550 on a ssd, you most-likely have 4 titans or something like that. I have a 120gb and love it, boot times are next to none, plus i use excel alot so it helps load times with a crap ton of data. You i no way need a ssd, but it makes your experience that much better. I can't wait till prices drop so i can use it as a main storage

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 FelipeInside

@PredatorRules said:

But no one is recommending a 1TB SSD unless you have money to burn.

SSDs right now aren't for storage, they are for applications and OS.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 GeryGo  Moderator

@FelipeInside said:

@PredatorRules said:

But no one is recommending a 1TB SSD unless you have money to burn.

SSDs right now aren't for storage, they are for applications and OS.

Exactly I don't use heavy duty programs, and for boot I just put my PC to sleep and it recovers after 1 sec.

@James161324 said:

I can't wait till prices drop so i can use it as a main storage

This.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By JigglyWiggly_

I leave my pc on 24/7 and I can't stand hd's.

SSDs are so much better for multi tasking and if you have ADHD

50 tabs open browser crashed? Just launch another one instantly...

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

@FelipeInside said:

@Zelda187 said:

Well your friend is rich and lucky, he still prefers speed over storage or he would have a bought a 3TB HDD, hence why I quoted Jiggly who said it was productivity/speed not storage.

Addict187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Addict187
Member since 2008 • 1128 Posts

@Zelda187 said:

@GTR12 said:

@JigglyWiggly_ said:

Also that's for servers.

This exactly ^^^

@Zelda187 All I hear is I'm to poor to afford nice things and hate others for spending money that I don't have. So I must try to make them feel stupid for doing things I can't afford. I have 240 gig SSD and it rocks plus three 3TB hard drives (you mad yet)

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 GeryGo  Moderator

@Addict187 said:

@Zelda187 said:

@GTR12 said:

@JigglyWiggly_ said:

Also that's for servers.

This exactly ^^^

@Zelda187 All I hear is I'm to poor to afford nice things and hate others for spending money that I don't have. So I must try to make them feel stupid for doing things I can't afford. I have 240 gig SSD and it rocks plus three 3TB hard drives (you mad yet)

Those 200Gb are nice; my HDD is loaded with 400Gb of games alone ATM, got a solution? play less games? spend more money? Nope, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQpiZ44GyYU - as seen on this vid, I'd wait a couple more sec to load =)

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#30  Edited By vfibsux
Member since 2003 • 4497 Posts

No one will sell me on this hardware at the current price, period. I will spend $200 on it when it is my primary hard drive and not just a boot drive, I refuse to spend $200 just to load apps faster and boot up faster. Absolute luxury for my needs. I rather put that money towards a cpu/mb upgrade, or even a new gpu.

That's me, do whatever the fk you want with your money.....just don't call me stupid for thinking my hundreds of dollars are better spent on making games look/run better than making them load faster. I don't upgrade often, but when I do it will be for that reason.

Zelda187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Zelda187

@Addict187 said:

@Zelda187 said:

@GTR12 said:

@JigglyWiggly_ said:

Also that's for servers.

This exactly ^^^

No, I spent over $500 for my GPU, $225 for my CPU, over $230 for my motherboard, and around $130 for my PSU.

I just have no interest in spending hundreds of dollars to make my computer boot up slightly faster.

Just bought a new Western Digital 1 TB Caviar Black (the newest model) for $85...and it's plenty fast enough for me.

Zelda187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Zelda187

@vfibsux said:

No one will sell me on this hardware at the current price, period. I will spend $200 on it when it is my primary hard drive and not just a boot drive, I refuse to spend $200 just to load apps faster and boot up faster. Absolute luxury for my needs. I rather put that money towards a cpu/mb upgrade, or even a new gpu.

That's me, do whatever the fk you want with your money.....just don't call me stupid for thinking my hundreds of dollars are better spent on making games look/run better than making them load faster. I don't upgrade often, but when I do it will be for that reason.

This

_SKatEDiRt_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 _SKatEDiRt_
Member since 2007 • 3117 Posts

@Zelda187 said:

@vfibsux said:

This

+1 The only way that I will buy an SSD is if it can beat current HDD prices. Other than that your just paying a premium for a luxury

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By FelipeInside

@_SKatEDiRt_ said:

@Zelda187 said:

@vfibsux said:

This

+1 The only way that I will buy an SSD is if it can beat current HDD prices. Other than that your just paying a premium for a luxury

Not really a premium or luxury, unless you go crazy and buy a 1TB SSD.

SSDs are coming down in price, but remember that HDDs used to be expensive like that as well. Yes, today they are dirt cheap but I remember building a PC and spending more than $200 easily on just the hard drive because the model I wanted (or was available) was a bit better for gaming and applications.

Same goes here. There is a better product available so if you have the money why not?

C_Rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By C_Rule

This thread and the people trying to justify not using an SSD are quite entertaining.

Addict187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Addict187
Member since 2008 • 1128 Posts

@PredatorRules said:

@Addict187 said:

@Zelda187 said:

@GTR12 said:

@JigglyWiggly_ said:

Also that's for servers.

This exactly ^^^

Those 200Gb are nice; my HDD is loaded with 400Gb of games alone ATM, got a solution? play less games? spend more money? Nope, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQpiZ44GyYU - as seen on this vid, I'd wait a couple more sec to load =)

I use 1tb hard drive for my steam games and downloads. have three 3tb drives for things i want to keep. the SSD cost me $129 for 240gig and love it best upgrade i did in last 2 years

Avenger1324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Avenger1324
Member since 2007 • 16344 Posts

As so many have said, an SSD is there to add speed, not storage capacity. Having a large SSD adds the convenience of not having to move programs around to get the speed boost.

I opted to link a 60GB mSSD to a 1TB 7200rpm disk with ISRT - this gives a significant boost to boot and loading times, as well as removing the need to constantly think about what is installed on what disk to free up space. I have 2 other 1TB drives for general storage.

@PredatorRules said:
@FelipeInside said:

I have an SSD in my work issued laptop, and we are now buying SSDs in all of our new laptops.

They are justified on both productivity and cost because of the better performance.

They are faster to boot and provide you with a usable laptop within a minute rather than 5+ by the time group policies have been applied. They are faster to image, encrypt, install updates to - all saving time or other business overheads. I work in a consultancy business, so everything is charged at day rates - multiply up a regular saving of a few minutes per day over a working year and it covers the small extra cost of the SSD over the traditional HDD many times over.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 GeryGo  Moderator

@Avenger1324 said:

As so many have said, an SSD is there to add speed, not storage capacity. Having a large SSD adds the convenience of not having to move programs around to get the speed boost.

I opted to link a 60GB mSSD to a 1TB 7200rpm disk with ISRT - this gives a significant boost to boot and loading times, as well as removing the need to constantly think about what is installed on what disk to free up space. I have 2 other 1TB drives for general storage.

@PredatorRules said:
@FelipeInside said:

I have an SSD in my work issued laptop, and we are now buying SSDs in all of our new laptops.

They are justified on both productivity and cost because of the better performance.

They are faster to boot and provide you with a usable laptop within a minute rather than 5+ by the time group policies have been applied. They are faster to image, encrypt, install updates to - all saving time or other business overheads. I work in a consultancy business, so everything is charged at day rates - multiply up a regular saving of a few minutes per day over a working year and it covers the small extra cost of the SSD over the traditional HDD many times over.

If you're working in computer/electronics store most probably you'll have SSD installed at your work place.

I'm sorry for asking not my business to ask such things, but as consultant, do you make good money? from 1-10?

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By vfibsux

@FelipeInside said:

@_SKatEDiRt_ said:

@Zelda187 said:

@vfibsux said:

This

SSDs are coming down in price, but remember that HDDs used to be expensive like that as well. Yes, today they are dirt cheap but I remember building a PC and spending more than $200 easily on just the hard drive because the model I wanted (or was available) was a bit better for gaming and applications.

Same goes here. There is a better product available so if you have the money why not?

I don't think you guys are getting it bro, if I have money to burn on an upgrade I am going for game performance first. The only way I spend money on something like this is if I am 100% happy with every game performance component in my pc. I understand the benefits of it, I would install it in a heartbeat if I got one as a gift. I just have better things I can put that money toward right now.

@C_Rule...you look like you are dying for attention. There, I said your name. Most see this as a luxury upgrade and not necessary at this time. To each their own.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By FelipeInside

@vfibsux said:

@FelipeInside said:

@_SKatEDiRt_ said:

@Zelda187 said:

@vfibsux said:

This

I don't think you guys are getting it bro, if I have money to burn on an upgrade I am going for game performance first. The only way I spend money on something like this is if I am 100% happy with every game performance component in my pc. I understand the benefits of it, I would install it in a heartbeat if I got one as a gift. I just have better things I can put that money toward right now.

@C_Rule...you look like you are dying for attention. There, I said your name. Most see this as a luxury upgrade and not necessary at this time. To each their own.

Yes of course. If I had to choose between upgrading a CPU/GPU or upgrading an SSD for gaming I would go the GPU and CPU first, that's a given.

I'm just responding to people that say it's not worth upgrading to SSDs at all.

It also depends on usage. For someone that uses heavy duty programs an SSD upgrade is more important than a GPU upgrade.

Zelda187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Zelda187

@FelipeInside said:

@vfibsux said:

@FelipeInside said:

@_SKatEDiRt_ said:

@Zelda187 said:

@vfibsux said:

This

Yes of course. If I had to choose between upgrading a CPU/GPU or upgrading an SSD for gaming I would go the GPU and CPU first, that's a given.

It also depends on usage. For someone that uses heavy duty programs an SSD upgrade is more important than a GPU upgrade.

And what I and others are saying is that for those of us who don't use heavy duty programs, it's a waste of money.

Literally the only things I do on my home PC are play videogames, surf the internet, and browse iTunes.

So really, what's the point?

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator

@Zelda187 said:

@FelipeInside said:

And what I and others are saying is that for those of us who don't use heavy duty programs, it's a waste of money.

Literally the only things I do on my home PC are play videogames, surf the internet, and browse iTunes.

I agree with both of you; I'm myself not using heavy programs like photoshop, video editing, etc. Most of the time I game, watch movies, listen to music and surf the net.

I do edit gameplay videos from time to time when the muse hits me, but that doesn't occur so often.

SSDs are good for overall performance of the PC not for gaming, loading times don't count as much as max graphics and high fps.

In the future or even now I'd recommend people that build HTPCs to actually install SSD instead of HDD, basically you try to build one as cheap as you can but if you want lightning speed one, SSD is a must.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 FelipeInside

@Zelda187 said:

The point is that it's a faster component in your PC than a normal HDD, but like I said depends on the usage and budget.

If you can afford a stronger video card out of two choices, wouldn't you go for it?

If you can afford a faster CPU out of two choices, wouldn't you buy it?

Same goes with HDDs. If you can afford the faster SSD then go for it.

And SSDs aren't a waste of money with gaming either. Games load much faster, both at the start of the game (compare BF4 in loading a level for example), or during the game when it caches more areas.

In BF4 for example I have captured 2 points before the rest of the people have even loaded the level.

Again, depends on budget of each person, but to anyone saying an SSD isn't worth it when you can afford one is just incorrect.

C_Rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 C_Rule

@vfibsux said:

@FelipeInside said:

@_SKatEDiRt_ said:

@Zelda187 said:

@vfibsux said:

This

Singular or plural, make a decision.

Bro.

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 vfibsux

Yea you are exactly what I thought you were, just another troll.

C_Rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By C_Rule

@vfibsux said:

Yea you are exactly what I thought you were, just another troll.

But how did you know??

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By vfibsux

/yawn

C_Rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 C_Rule

Well, that seems indisputable.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 GeryGo  Moderator

BTW I've found the best price/performance SSD on the market: http://www.amazon.com/Silicon-Power-Velox-Synchronous-SP120GBSS3V70S25/dp/B0092KJDWK/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1387521537&sr=8-2-fkmr0&keywords=silicon+power120GB+SSD

What do you guys think? got better SSD with bigger storage/cost less/better performance? this one got 557 MB/s max. read speed & 507 MB/s max. write speed

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 GummiRaccoon
Member since 2003 • 13799 Posts

An SSD is one of those things that once you use a computer with one, you can't go back to the old way.