The Forgotten Games Recommendation List

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#101 Posted by fatboyvinnie (762 posts) -

Yes i actually liked it quite alot as it was fairly original at the time was one of the only first games to do true lip synching had a really cool setting and was also one of the first games to mix a few genres together [even if it didnt really succeed].

Plus David Bowies kool

#102 Posted by xljohn (431 posts) -
Tag, again, and I still long for a sticky
#103 Posted by MythPro1 (2746 posts) -
Most games recommended have been added onto the list; I thank everyone for their help. Also, since there are many recommending older PC games; namely Sam & Max, Day of the Tentacle etc. I have decided that I will include DOSBox information within the original list for those who wish to take that particular avenue. I will also put text next to games that say whether they need DOSBox emulation in order to function under WinXP. Which also means that I will add those great old games to the list.

I am not sure what kind of information you may want to appear for DosBox so I only put the necessary links in the original post.
#104 Posted by leadrboardsteve (44 posts) -
I saw both Descent and Freespace, but I'm not a big buff on computer games so I'm not sure if Freespace is the same thing as  Descent Freespace: The Great War, which is the best space sim I've ever played.
#105 Posted by MythPro1 (2746 posts) -
Freespace is the same as Descent: Freespace

If you go Here, you'll see that Descent and Descent: Freespace are two totally different games/series. All that Freespace does is incorporate the Descent name within its own.
#106 Posted by Neon_Tool (281 posts) -
I'd add Metal Fatigue, a cool RTS game with an anime feel to it that was completely ignored by pretty much everyone.
#107 Posted by DDX2 (6317 posts) -

WHY ISNT BATTLEZONE ON THAT LIST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EDIT: sorry, i skimmed over the list too fast and missed it

#108 Posted by wugglez (719 posts) -
this should be pinned/sticky
#109 Posted by MythPro1 (2746 posts) -
Metal Fatigue added, thank you for your contribution.
#110 Posted by xljohn (431 posts) -
Can we get a bump?  I love this thread.
#111 Posted by Yan1978 (228 posts) -
Sticky please!

I must admit i didn't read all 11 pages, here are my entries.

Strategy:
Conquest of the New World (Still trying to get a copy of this)
Dune 2, the battle for Arakis (set the standards for all RTS, and great voice acting...not)
Syndicate (Cyborg Secret Agents, big guns, LOTS of people to kill...)
Worms Armagedon (The ultimate Solitaire, should come with windows)
Heroes of might and magic 3 (best of the serie in my opinion)
Memmaker...(what?, was kind of a game...trying to get as close to 640k of mem as possible re-editing your Config.sys and Autoexec.bat, loading things in high memory...good times...)

Flight/Space Sim
Tie Fighter ( Where else do you get to be Darth Vader's wingman? getting all the hidden missions was impossible!)

#112 Posted by -AirHendrix- (2858 posts) -
#113 Posted by xljohn (431 posts) -
Advertising your thread? Amusing. No, I think this post needs a sticky, at least for a week or so. Let everyone see it. But I don't mind bumping it occaisonally... Keeps it in my recent post archive. :) Bump!
#114 Posted by MythPro1 (2746 posts) -
Several additions/changes made. Apologies for the long lapse of time.
#115 Posted by yesblueyes (13 posts) -
I suggested DooM 1 and 2 (both well forgotten games), and you didn't either include them on the list or answered me why you haven't/wouldn't include them.
Why?

#116 Posted by Krall (16463 posts) -
#117 Posted by itsatrap23 (1790 posts) -
Strat: Europa Universalis 2... a great game
RTS: AOE2
Space Sim: Freelancer
#118 Posted by marshbaboon (417 posts) -

Nice list man,

Id like to add in (if they havent already)

Space Hulk, Startopia, Dark omen, Severance blade of darkness... let me wrak my brain....... im sure i can think of more!

#119 Posted by PaverPopPC (565 posts) -
What about Rome Total War? Call of Duty? Monkey Island?
#120 Posted by namuseta (321 posts) -

What about Rome Total War? Call of Duty? Monkey Island?PaverPopPC

every one knows rome total war and call of duty but monkey island series is a good addon ... atleast the first ones

#121 Posted by kylethebold88 (48 posts) -
No Grim Fandango? Awesome game.
#122 Posted by jhbellsh (32 posts) -
The Little Big Adventure games (1 and 2 - think the first one was called Twinsun's Adventure in the US) are almost completely unknown nowadays... ok so their a bit cutesy but there good strong adventure games. Oh and they work on XP :-)
#123 Posted by AsmodeanKane (3 posts) -
Mech Warrior 3, I personally find that game awesome and I will still start it up once in a while.
#124 Posted by smokeydabear076 (22109 posts) -
Deus Ex! not Dues Ex!
#125 Posted by reconwg (62 posts) -
The Soul Reaver series... not not very popular but really nice. Also Legacy of Kain..
#126 Posted by marctwaites (1 posts) -
You might want to think about adding some of the following

Alpha Centauri
Startopia
Age of Wonders series
Hostile Waters (Anteus Rising)
Arcanum
Abomination: The Nemesis Project
Planescape: Torment
Shogo MAD

They all work on XP, except maybe Shogo (I lost my copy)
#127 Posted by MythPro1 (2746 posts) -
Apologies for lack of updates have been busy.

Thank you ALL for your contributions. Because of your help this thread has finally become stickied; thank you all! :)

NEW updates added. Trouble is there is a character limit and I have reached it so I must talk to the mods.
And Deus Ex spelling mistake fixed, thanks.
#128 Posted by grifter_tm (301 posts) -
I'd add the original C&C, C&C Red Alert, and C&C Generals. I'd also add Starcraft and its expansion, Broodwar, but a lot of people in Asia are still playing it, so technically it's not forgotten (yet).
#129 Posted by xljohn (431 posts) -
bump :)
#130 Posted by dash909 (19 posts) -
Heavy Metal: F.A.K.K. 2 was pretty neat at the time.
#131 Posted by ParkCarsHere (3556 posts) -

*bump*

#132 Posted by namuseta (321 posts) -

Seems like we have gathered about all good old games havent been any new updates for a while

oh Space empires iv  a great game

#133 Posted by Odin945 (508 posts) -
Looks like this forum has all I'll need to survive on older games for a good couple of months..
#134 Posted by Axed54 (2963 posts) -
Snowblind is cheap and fun FPS.
#135 Posted by NuclearDruid (2812 posts) -
#136 Posted by xljohn (431 posts) -
#137 Posted by grabeh (426 posts) -
Oh man I need to add this on my favorites. Nice job!
#138 Posted by MythPro1 (2746 posts) -
Heavy Metal, Snowblind and Space Empires added.

Thank you for your contributions.
#139 Posted by NamelessPlayer (7729 posts) -
Bump for good reason: Starflight and its sequel aren't on the list. It's essentially the granddaddy of games like Star Control II. I should tell you that if you want the best version of either game, skip the IBM PC version and go get an Amiga or a 68k Mac(emulators count too). Better graphics, and more importantly, a MUCH BETTER INTERFACE which lets you use the mouse if you wish.
#140 Posted by MythPro1 (2746 posts) -
If you have the links to it I can add it up there.
#141 Posted by NamelessPlayer (7729 posts) -
Here's a couple links. MobyGames Starflight Central (Note: Starflight 1 and 2 are official games, whereas Starflight 3 is a fan-made sequel.) You can decide which one to use.
#142 Posted by snbatman (51 posts) -

Betrayal at Krondor :D

#143 Posted by MythPro1 (2746 posts) -
Starflight and Krondor series added, thank you for your contributions
#144 Posted by basersx (6222 posts) -
MAFIA!
#145 Posted by MythPro1 (2746 posts) -
Already on there =P
#146 Posted by basersx (6222 posts) -

Already on their =P MythPro1

Yeah well its worth repeating in large letters ;)

#147 Posted by NamelessPlayer (7729 posts) -
#148 Posted by snbatman (51 posts) -
A few more :) Alpha Centauri, Day of the Tentacle, Marathon (old school mac gaming, hehe), ADOM/Nethack (tons of different roguelikes, but those are my favorites), the King's Quest series, the Quest for Glory series, and the Wizardry series (even just Wizardry 8 would be great). Man, this is making me feel old, heh.
#149 Posted by MythPro1 (2746 posts) -
Recommendations added to list, thank you for your contributions.

And yes, Die by the Sword is a fantastic game and so was the expansion Limb from Limb. It could really use a sequel since the control scheme gave it one of the best combat engines. There was also a "cuss" pack which made Elric (or Edric, been so long) say the most hillarious things. I used to have it at one time but I can no longer locate it and would love to donwload it again.
#150 Posted by NamelessPlayer (7729 posts) -
[QUOTE="MythPro1"]Recommendations added to list, thank you for your contributions.

And yes, Die by the Sword is a fantastic game and so was the expansion Limb from Limb. It could really use a sequel since the control scheme gave it one of the best combat engines. There was also a "cuss" pack which made Elric (or Edric, been so long) say the most hillarious things. I used to have it at one time but I can no longer locate it and would love to donwload it again.

It's "Enric". I don't have the Limb from Limb expansion, just the original in large box with collector's pen. Guess it's time to hit eBay again...too bad LfL standalone is much harder to find than DBTS standalone(I want the manuals and other stuff that doesn't come in the dual-jewel packs that Interplay seemed to be fond of). EDIT: Sealed copy on eBay? IT'S MINE!