The Forgotten Games Recommendation List

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#151 Posted by ravon_mith (41 posts) -
Good job MythPro1 !! thats a lot of links there :o .. to snbatman, I think Alpha Centauri is already on the list .. just informing ...
#152 Posted by MythPro1 (2746 posts) -
Thanks, really couldn''t have done it without everyones help. There was no way that I could possibly remember all of those games. haha
#153 Posted by GthangMan (19 posts) -
im not sure if da guy added it, but no game list is complete without

Diablo 1 and 2.
#154 Posted by MythPro1 (2746 posts) -
Yep Diablo is up there. I didn't add two since it is still quite a popular game.
#155 Posted by andersalsen (207 posts) -

Nice list!! But I think most games are too new. Maybe we should try to do a list with games that are at least 10 years old.

I have some real goldies and oldies, that for some reason hasn't made the list:

RPG:

Eye of The Beholder series (I-III) released 1990-1992  Extremely hard RPG

Lands of Lore released 1992  Very good RPG, a real classic in the RPG genre

Moonstone released 1992  Nice hack 'n' slash

Action:

Crusader series (No remorse & No regret) released 1995-1996  Intense action in cool environments

Rapture released 1994  Very nice top fly action

RTS:

Dune II released 1992  The original RTS and the forefather to most of the RTS of today

Warlords II  released 1993  Real strategy, nothing else

Other:

Pinball Dreams & Fantasies released 1992-1993  The one and only Pinball game

MythPro1, keep up the good work! This is one of the best threads on Game Spot! :)

I'll return later with more golden classics!

#156 Posted by andersalsen (207 posts) -

Aargh! What happened to my post? Why isn't it formatted in the right way? I didn't have so many empty rows.

Does anybody knows what I've done wrong? :question:

#157 Posted by fanis_gr (133 posts) -
COLONIZATION - the best strategy game ever PHANTASMAGORIA (1+2) - adventure
#158 Posted by MythPro1 (2746 posts) -
All recommendations added, thank you for your contributions.

To andersalsen, yes I'll admit that a good amount of games on those lists are quite neew. However I don't see many of them recommended to those who ask for games they could play. It's always the newest and best looking game that takes its place. So in sense even they as new as they are, are forgotten at times.
#159 Posted by andersalsen (207 posts) -

All recommendations added, thank you for your contributions.

To andersalsen, yes I'll admit that a good amount of games on those lists are quite neew. However I don't see many of them recommended to those who ask for games they could play. It's always the newest and best looking game that takes its place. So in sense even they as new as they are, are forgotten at times.
MythPro1

Yeah, I admit that many games are forgotten only a few years after they are released. Hope this thread get's a sticky on it, so it won't be forgotten (like those games :) )!

#160 Posted by gamer620 (3367 posts) -
Where's Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain?
#161 Posted by mrbojangles25 (31998 posts) -
is Tie Fighter (the original, on floppy disks) up there?  Its better than Freespace 2, and far older
#162 Posted by Metroid_16 (254 posts) -

Wayne Gretzky's 3D hockey 98. is amazing.

and Mario Paint.

#163 Posted by daggerknight (1383 posts) -

Icewind Dale 1

Icewind Dale 2

#164 Posted by MythPro1 (2746 posts) -
Tie Fighter is included in the X-Wing collectors edition on the list. Wayne Gretsky's 3d Hockey is a console game on the N64 and Mario Paint is an SNES game. This list only comprises of PC games. Also, Icewind Dale 1 and 2 already  on the list.

Thank you.
#165 Posted by andersalsen (207 posts) -

Here's a few more goldies:

Syndicate   A dark, cool strategy game
Dungeon Master II   A really cool RPG, but also quite hard

Keep filling that List, MythPro1!

#166 Posted by shafrox (349 posts) -
Hey, SANITARIUM was awsome!!!!! i wish developers create cool adventure games like that now.
#167 Posted by andersalsen (207 posts) -

Hey, SANITARIUM was awsome!!!!! i wish developers create cool adventure games like that now.shafrox

I totally agree. I wish todays developers had a little more courage to try something new and not so typical. To me it seems most new games are either FPS or RTS, mostly in a war situation.

Please give us a little more humor and adventure! Lucas Arts, where are you. Please come back! :cry:

#168 Posted by NamelessPlayer (7729 posts) -
I can't believe it... Tribes and its sequel aren't on the list? (They're freeware, to boot!) Oh, and there's Scorched3D, a freeware 3D take on Scorched Earth, which I would consider a forgotten game.
#169 Posted by VoggNogg (210 posts) -
Got one more to add for the Elder Scrolls series.  That is the pioneer of the series  "The Elder Scrolls: Arena".
#170 Posted by kiviking (2 posts) -
One game that I have succesfully played on PC (as well as on my old amiga 500 lol) is Elite. the first and best space sim of all time.
cheers
#171 Posted by darfvader (2754 posts) -
LOL GOT EM ALL
#172 Posted by CaptHawkeye (13977 posts) -
Mechwarrior 4 Vengeance, Operation Flashpoint, somebody even remembered Battlezone! One of the most mistreated titles in game history! So many wonderful titles so little time...
#173 Posted by frosty118 (115 posts) -
Giant's: Citizen Kabuto
Syberia
Sacrifice
Disciples II
Aliens vs. Predator
Silver
New Star Soccer 3
Early Championship Manager games (but everyones playing the brilliant Football Manager series now)
Arx Fatalis
Sundog: Frozen Legacy
Creatures 2
Hardwar (elite type game)
Falcon 4.0
Project Eden
Jagged Alliance 2 Gold
Albion
Kingpin
Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake (the old '90 one)
MDK 2
Earthworm Jim
Beneath a Steel Sky
Oddworld: Abe's Exoddus
Star Ocean
Bahamut Lagoon (just use Zsnes and find a rom, and pick up all the other jRPG goodness aswell - final fantasy etc)
Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain
Imperium Galactica II

Thats all I can think of for now, and good job with the list
#174 Posted by indzman (18074 posts) -

I dodnt think gamers have forgotten Clive Barkers: Undying,Star Wars: Republic Commando,No One Lives Forever (1 and 2),Soldier of Fortune (1 and 2),Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay,Max Payne,Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne,Painkiller,Serious Sam: The First Encounter,Serious Sam: The Second Encounter,
Medal of Honor,Return to Castle Wolfenstein,Mafia,Prince of Persia Series,Hitman Series,Splinter Cell,Brothers in Arms Series,Project Snowblind that easily.The above games were legendary popular with veteran to new gamers alike.I did not forget myself at least and always recommend above to new game enthusiasists.But hell yeah, rest of the games I have doubts like you.Though i never got to play ONI which was not compatible with my XP.

Anyways, a Superb (Excellent) game list from you. Thank's.

#175 Posted by Vfanek (7719 posts) -
[QUOTE="borris_1"][QUOTE="MythPro1"] If that's the case, then yes I am mad. Also, please spell out the "OF," not very good with acronyms.

Operation Flashpoint

#176 Posted by SunnySimantov (784 posts) -

Wow, all the games I played and on the list, I haven't forgotten at all! B&W1, Ground Control, Max Payne, Sim City, The Incredible Machine (!) and many others you've mentioned... all in my heart somewhere... (as they're part of the 'younger me'). Such nostalgy ):

but I must mention that "today"'s games, when they will become old, they won't be in my heart... cause I've grown up and I wouldn't have this need to "remind myself my teenhood" unlike reminding myself my childhood...

#177 Posted by infirmaryblues (566 posts) -
bump, good thread
#178 Posted by DARTHvayda (744 posts) -
wow, how many pages back did you go to find this? street legal racing is good too by the way
#179 Posted by infirmaryblues (566 posts) -
Found it as a link; has Rocket Jockey been mentioned?
#180 Posted by NamelessPlayer (7729 posts) -
Found it as a link; has Rocket Jockey been mentioned?infirmaryblues
So, we meet again! Yes, I brought it up, on the last page. Here's a quote: [QUOTE="NamelessPlayer"]I've reviewed the list, and noticed that even more great games aren't on the list. (Nice to read that someone else brought up Die by the Sword, though. That's the kind of game I'd kill for on the Wii!) Anyway, here's some more games: -Magic Carpet -Rocket Jockey (There need to be more original games like this today!) -Every other Battletech game that isn't MechWarrior 4 or MechAssault, namely MechWarrior 1-3

Oh, and why isn't Allegiance on the list? It's a fun space combat/RTS hybrid, and freeware to boot! Steep learning curve, though...
#181 Posted by AssRhino (515 posts) -
Good list but it is missing my favorite series of all time Quest for Glory 1 - 4!
#182 Posted by Terami (3992 posts) -
There's a few oldies I would love to have but in my area, they're next to impossible to find for the PC.  Console games are much easier to come by for some reason... lol.
#183 Posted by Juan_Charlie84 (2 posts) -
Great, this is what I'm finding for!
#184 Posted by Iropan (12 posts) -
Great list, it really is a pot full o' gold. To throw my two cents in, i'd recommend the hugely under-rated Journeyman Project 3: Legacy of Time. One of the most pleasurable video-game experiences i've ever had. I think no game after that captured me like Journeyman did, but i do admit it's somewhat of a personal choice, and not everyone will enjoy the Myst style gameplay.
#185 Posted by maxlgo (51 posts) -
what about Need for Speed Series?
#186 Posted by ChargaRT (313 posts) -
Great WWII flight sim thats intensely realistic in many ways is Aces High II, hitechcreations.com  download it u get a 2 week free trial of the large servers(kinda like mmo servers) and forever free access to 8 player servers so u can get teams of 2-4 or w.e dogfights and stuff. Flight models are great and the overall feal of it is great, not the easiest but after some getting used to, lots of fun.
#187 Posted by KeybladeMasta (415 posts) -
Kingdom hearts 1 & 2, Final Fantasy XII
#188 Posted by MythPro1 (2746 posts) -
Added most of the recommendations from the past month apologies for the long delay and thanks for the recommendations.

Kingdom hearts 1 & 2, Final Fantasy XIIKeybladeMasta

Not PC games but thank you anyway.
#189 Posted by onemic (5616 posts) -
Added most of the recommendations from the past month apologies for the long delay and thanks for the recommendations.

[QUOTE="KeybladeMasta"]Kingdom hearts 1 & 2, Final Fantasy XIIMythPro1

Not PC games but thank you anyway.

Those games aren't forgotten though. Oh and if you haven't put the these two games up there you should: wasteland and alice
#190 Posted by indzman (18074 posts) -

Is these games on your list ? You can add them tho.

1) ADVENT RISING
2)PARIAH
3)EVIL DEAD REGENERATION
4)THE REGIMENT
5)MACE GRIFFIN BOUNTY HUNTER
6)PROJECT SNOWBLIND
7)MEN OF VELOUR
8.AREA 51
9)THE PUNISHER
10)CONSTANTINE
ETC.

If you like them as forgotten P.C Games i'll try to suggest some more game names.

#191 Posted by onemic (5616 posts) -

1) ADVENT RISING
2)PARIAH
3)EVIL DEAD REGENERATION
4)THE REGIMENT
6)PROJECT SNOWBLIND
7)MEN OF VELOUR
8)AREA 51
9)THE PUNISHER
10)CONSTANTINE
ETC.

indzman

you must really enjoy crappy games lol.
#192 Posted by indzman (18074 posts) -
[QUOTE="indzman"]

1) ADVENT RISING
2)PARIAH
3)EVIL DEAD REGENERATION
4)THE REGIMENT
6)PROJECT SNOWBLIND
7)MEN OF VELOUR
8)AREA 51
9)THE PUNISHER
10)CONSTANTINE
ETC.

onemic

I found this games enjoyable , but i know they are not very popular.

#193 Posted by onemic (5616 posts) -
[QUOTE="onemic"][QUOTE="indzman"]

1) ADVENT RISING
2)PARIAH
3)EVIL DEAD REGENERATION
4)THE REGIMENT
6)PROJECT SNOWBLIND
7)MEN OF VELOUR
8)AREA 51
9)THE PUNISHER
10)CONSTANTINE
ETC.

indzman

whoa are you serious? I thought you were joking when you put those games up. Well i haven't played any of them, but I know about their infamy(expect project snowblind. it was rated high) so I made sure to steer clear of them.
#194 Posted by indzman (18074 posts) -
[QUOTE="indzman"][QUOTE="onemic"][QUOTE="indzman"]

1) ADVENT RISING
2)PARIAH
3)EVIL DEAD REGENERATION
4)THE REGIMENT
6)PROJECT SNOWBLIND
7)MEN OF VELOUR
8)AREA 51
9)THE PUNISHER
10)CONSTANTINE
ETC.

onemic

whoa are you serious? I thought you were joking when you put those games up. Well i haven't played any of them, but I know about their infamy(expect project snowblind. it was rated high) so I made sure to steer clear of them.

I play unknown games (of my fav genre) sometimes.It happens when i've completed my fav current games or my fav games are not coming out.I browse GAMESPOT games lists,and pick out games (which i've missed ).I also play those unknown games which gamers recommend.But i read the games reviews , players opinion , see the videos ,system requirements of the game etc.

Like i recently got;

1) PSI OPS The MindGate Conspiracy (Robert Bowen recommended me the game)

2) Rouge Trooper

They are unknown games , but i'm enjoying them .

#195 Posted by Arch_Demonz (671 posts) -
RPG - Shadowrun (genesis/snes) genesis and snes are a lot diff btw, 2 diff games
#196 Posted by deathnote9 (21 posts) -
For FFP you difinently need to add UT and UT 2k4
#197 Posted by Humorguy_basic (2338 posts) -
PC gaming is my hobby - hence I have most of these in my house! Would add the following sepcial cases from a long list....I think you can get most of them free now on abandonware sites as well! :)

Strategy/Sim
Subwar 2050 (graphics and physics excellent, even now!)
Alien Legacy (From the guy who gace us Star Control, excellent story and gameplay - hard!)
SEAL Team (THE Vietnam tactil sim - and the best EA game released in the last dozen years!)

Adventure:
Blair Witch Vol1:  Rustin Parr (series got bad write ups but this is a gem - scary!!!)
Redguard (The 'unknown' Elder Scrolls game that's as good as the rest and better than most!! Story, characters and the world of Tamriel all done to perfection!)

Flight Sim (lite)

Crimson Skies (The funniest flight sim with the most personality! 1930's airway bucaneers! - and more gaming you can shake a stick at!)

Could have added a lot more. But these definitely need to be on the list as they have been very hard done by and are practically invisible to the great gaming unwashed! :)

#198 Posted by xljohn (431 posts) -
BG2 should be on the rpg list as well.
#199 Posted by Iropan (12 posts) -
Which one is BG2?? Hope you did something awesome with the time you saved by not writing the whole name of the game.
#200 Posted by Planeforger (15793 posts) -
Which one is BG2?? Hope you did something awesome with the time you saved by not writing the whole name of the game.Iropan

I has about to say that Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn doesn't belong on a list of forgotten games, as everyone remembers it. I stand corrected.