The Crew (racing MMO) PC Beta just started

#1 Edited by SaintSatan (583 posts) -
#2 Posted by cyloninside (479 posts) -

the crew PC beta started like.... a WHILE ago....

#3 Posted by SaintSatan (583 posts) -

@cyloninside: Yes and then it ended. It just started again today.

#4 Posted by uninspiredcup (7857 posts) -

the crew PC beta started like.... a WHILE ago....

#5 Edited by SaintSatan (583 posts) -

I really didn't think this thread was all that hard to understand. The beta just started again today.

#6 Posted by skipper847 (3169 posts) -

I got in last time but it took 3 days to download and when it did download it was all over lol. the thing is I got an email from them saying thank you for taking part. :P

#7 Posted by SaintSatan (583 posts) -

I got in last time but it took 3 days to download and when it did download it was all over lol. the thing is I got an email from them saying thank you for taking part. :P

It's a fairly big download (13.5GB). I still got about an hour left before it's done.

#8 Posted by Arthas045 (5100 posts) -

I am going to jump in this I believe I really loved Test Drive and it seems to be the same concept.

#9 Posted by SaintSatan (583 posts) -

Well I'm happy I preordered this, it's a really cool game so far. Huge open world to explore, players everywhere, lots of varied quests, decent story and cut scenes about gangs and the FBI, and a nice RPG-like leveling up system with a ton of different things to level up. The beta feels really solid with only some minor stutters every few minutes. I'd say this is a solid purchase for any racing fan.

#10 Posted by soolkiki (1746 posts) -

EH! Maybe I'll get into it...Going to work and school full time is going to keep me busy for sure. Looks like fun, though.

#11 Posted by Grey_Eyed_Elf (3697 posts) -

I played it for a hour or so a while ago... I was invited to the beta again for this week and well I won't bother playing it, I hope that's a indication of how I feel about the game. I am not a huge racing fan but I do love open world racing games lie the original Most Wanted and Burnout Paradise... Even Under ground 2.

Honestly from what I played I didn't really enjoy enough to break through the 1 hour wall.

#12 Edited by SaintSatan (583 posts) -

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

I played it for a hour or so a while ago... I was invited to the beta again for this week and well I won't bother playing it, I hope that's a indication of how I feel about the game. I am not a huge racing fan but I do love open world racing games lie the original Most Wanted and Burnout Paradise... Even Under ground 2.

Honestly from what I played I didn't really enjoy enough to break through the 1 hour wall.

You didn't play it nearly long enough to judge it. You probably didn't even touch most of the mission types and get into the customizations and upgrades. The beginning missions are mostly race type stuff but after that it opens into all sorts of different things. There's forming crews and co-op/pvp, delivering cars, transporting a criminal while cops are chasing, taking down targets by ramming them, off road races, escaping from crews after you stole a car, ect. The Crew is easily one of the best racing games I've ever played.

10/10 game for me so far, about 5-6 hours played.

#13 Posted by PredatorRules (7428 posts) -

Hey, if you didn't enjoy it, I'd be happy to try the game :D

#14 Posted by Grey_Eyed_Elf (3697 posts) -

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

Here you go I got 3 keys:

• UC43-MUXV-QHPK-6JFJ
  • AVQT-EAKG-TA9M-8VDL
  • C9CL-GXEJ-3Y46-BQX3

#15 Posted by PredatorRules (7428 posts) -

@PredatorRules said:

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

• UC43-MUXV-QHPK-6JFJ
  • AVQT-EAKG-TA9M-8VDL
  • C9CL-GXEJ-3Y46-BQX3

Thank you so much =)

#16 Posted by Arthas045 (5100 posts) -

@PredatorRules said:

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

• UC43-MUXV-QHPK-6JFJ
  • AVQT-EAKG-TA9M-8VDL
  • C9CL-GXEJ-3Y46-BQX3

Wow very awesome man!

#17 Posted by SaintSatan (583 posts) -
#18 Posted by danxxx (680 posts) -

Key: 9BQM-77XM-L37Q-URW3

Enjoy.

#19 Posted by guynamedbilly (12959 posts) -

More keys

Driver 1:
LUHC-HQLW-T3EM-ULN3
Driver 1:
3T6V-JJL3-HGCF-LNMF
Driver 1:
AWWA-NVNT-CGBY-4GE3
#20 Posted by DigiTM64 (105 posts) -

How are the graphics. Especially on ultra, is it truly nextgen stuff? Does it have proper dynamic weather?

#21 Edited by guynamedbilly (12959 posts) -

@digitm64 said:

How are the graphics. Especially on ultra, is it truly nextgen stuff? Does it have proper dynamic weather?

I have turned everything all the way up just to see if it can look good, and after playing for a little while, I don't think so. Think Dirt 2 level graphics. Granted, it's all in an open world with no loading screens so that's somewhat impressive, but it don't look great. I do like having a cockpit view for all the cars.

#22 Posted by SaintSatan (583 posts) -

@digitm64 said:

It's not next-gen whatsoever but the final game may look better. Off-road areas look a bit better than city/street. The graphics are beautiful from an artistic standpoint though. The lighting/lens flares are especially good. Some areas of the map are jaw dropping. The game also does a good job of feeling alive, there is A LOT of traffic in some of the areas, much more than any other similar games. Overall I'd say the game looks really good. I just like driving around aimlessly to see the sights.

#23 Edited by DigiTM64 (105 posts) -

Thanks guynamedbilly and k3ck. Might preorder it then. Judging from those screens it seems okay. I imagine it has 360 controller support on PC? Just curious because Ubisoft is slamming it to Australians on Steam for a whopping $75US. Suddenly digital has crept up to expensive pricing. Although getting this means I have digitally toured the USA :)

#24 Edited by SaintSatan (583 posts) -

@digitm64: Yeah it has 360 controller support. I played the very limited beta for 8 hours so far. I'd say it's worth it.

#25 Posted by guynamedbilly (12959 posts) -

Gamespot compressed those screenshots pretty bad. It doesn't look quite as bad as that. I uploaded some high quality ones here if you want to see. https://www.flickr.com/photos/widescreenshots/sets/72157646894739512/

#26 Posted by Jimmy_Russell (557 posts) -

Anyone who is expecting sim style racing will be immediately disappointed. If you don't mind arcade racing, and you can overlook the dated graphics, it's not a terrible game. It's like NFSU if it were online-only. The handling of the cars, the models, and the damage are completely unrealistic, while the graphics are trying to maintain a sense of realism, so there's a contradictory element about the presentation. The car customization is very limited and the unlocks are grind-heavy. This wouldn't be a problem if the gameplay didn't become monotonous after the first few hours you play it. After a few weeks it will completely wear out it's 'wow' effect, it doesn't have the longevity of racing sims, shooters and strategy games. Another AAA hyped game from Ubisoft, if they don't be careful they'll be going down the path of THQ, Rareware, etc.

#28 Posted by SaintSatan (583 posts) -

Anyone who is expecting sim style racing will be immediately disappointed. If you don't mind arcade racing, and you can overlook the dated graphics, it's not a terrible game. It's like NFSU if it were online-only. The handling of the cars, the models, and the damage are completely unrealistic, while the graphics are trying to maintain a sense of realism, so there's a contradictory element about the presentation. The car customization is very limited and the unlocks are grind-heavy. This wouldn't be a problem if the gameplay didn't become monotonous after the first few hours you play it. After a few weeks it will completely wear out it's 'wow' effect, it doesn't have the longevity of racing sims, shooters and strategy games. Another AAA hyped game from Ubisoft, if they don't be careful they'll be going down the path of THQ, Rareware, etc.

No one was expecting a sim style racing game and it's a freakin' beta. You're talking like you've played the full game. Please.

#29 Posted by natsm (60 posts) -

Considering this is a beta,i'd say its amazing. They should improve the cars and if possible,make the world bigger(the world is is already big BTW)

#30 Posted by Jimmy_Russell (557 posts) -

I guess some people are easily impressed. I mean, Watch Dogs seemed to do okay in sales, surprisingly. That game was also a turd.

#31 Edited by uninspiredcup (7857 posts) -

@jimmy_russell said:

I guess some people are easily impressed. I mean, Watch Dogs seemed to do okay in sales, surprisingly. That game was also a turd.

The thing was broken (and still is to an extent) for months. The more powerful rigs available would jitter into a slideshow during car chases.

This was a game with a 6 month delay for "polish" and working partners with Nvidia. For those who bought it on launch as I did, you had to sit on your hands for three months and by that time, I don't give a shit about the game anymore.

Ubisoft renewed some faith with Blacklist, which was a great game imo. But they pissed it all away with Watchdogs. Attempting to charge £49.99 for a fucking pc game, straight after this, when they should be on the floor begging is nothing but a piss take. £49.99 for a 30fps locked game as well. Fuckoff.

#32 Posted by Arthas045 (5100 posts) -

I think the idea of this game is really cool, just not sure how long it could grab my attention. I love Test Drive Unlimited, so this may work :P

#33 Posted by FelipeInside (25314 posts) -

@digitm64 said:

I have turned everything all the way up just to see if it can look good, and after playing for a little while, I don't think so. Think Dirt 2 level graphics. Granted, it's all in an open world with no loading screens so that's somewhat impressive, but it don't look great. I do like having a cockpit view for all the cars.

Game looks great, no idea what he is seeing.

It's not the "best" looking car racing game, but it does the job, especially when it's an MMO open world with no loading screens.

#34 Posted by with_teeth26 (6056 posts) -

Is the final version going to be capped at 30fps? I noticed in the settings there is a option for frame rate but its greyed out. Racing games at 30fps feels horrible, thats a deal breaker for me if the final game has that

#35 Posted by SaintSatan (583 posts) -

Is the final version going to be capped at 30fps?

No and you can uncap it in roughly 4 or 5 seconds by editing the config file.

#36 Posted by FelipeInside (25314 posts) -

@k3ck said:
@with_teeth26 said:

Final version will be able to run at 60fps, they are just testing server load at the moment so they capped it at 30fps.

You can edit the config file but then strange things happen (like audio loops)

#37 Edited by guynamedbilly (12959 posts) -

@FelipeInside: Good thing I posted screenshots then so everyone can see exactly what I was seeing.

#38 Posted by with_teeth26 (6056 posts) -

@k3ck said:
@with_teeth26 said:

Thanks I'll check it out. I guess only the new EA racing studio who made Rivals are dumb enough to do that + link the speed of the game to the frame rate

#39 Posted by FelipeInside (25314 posts) -

@FelipeInside: Good thing I posted screenshots then so everyone can see exactly what I was seeing.

And you think those screenshots look "bad"? WOW....

#40 Posted by SaintSatan (583 posts) -

A FYI: The beta has just ended.