The best turn based strategy games?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by IWasAwesome25 (11 posts) -
I know there are other topics about this but i wanted one up to date and of specifics. What are the best turn based games similar to worms, territory wars and tanks? i Like turn based games where i get to move in my turn, not just stand there and attack like MechQuest. I listed the only 3 i know. Any other good similar games?
#2 Posted by ionusX (25716 posts) -

x-com: enemy unknown

#3 Posted by jun_aka_pekto (16422 posts) -

For me? Steel Panthers. It's an old MS-DOS game. But, it's still my favorite turn-based strategy game.

steel-panthers-1.jpg

#4 Posted by IWasAwesome25 (11 posts) -
I just looked at gameplay on youtube and that isnt exactly what i was thinking but it looks very unique. i might give it a try.
#5 Posted by IWasAwesome25 (11 posts) -
(talking about xcom)
#6 Posted by LordShockTitan (209 posts) -

ionusX

#7 Posted by Gamesterpheonix (3540 posts) -

Eh, a few that people will talk about:

Civilization V and its DLC - Get Gold Edition.

Fallen Enchantress - Wait til Legendary Heroes releases.

Battle Worlds: Kronos - Coming out soon. Kickstarter indie TBS game.

Kings Bounty Series - Get a platinum edition with a few of the games in one.

Endless Space - 4X TBS

Total War Series - Best for me was Shogun 2 and Napoleon Total War.

#8 Posted by Marfoo (5994 posts) -

[QUOTE="ionusX"]

LordShockTitan

#9 Posted by takeiteazy3 (743 posts) -
[QUOTE="LordShockTitan"]

[QUOTE="ionusX"]

Marfoo

#10 Posted by FelipeInside (25678 posts) -

Disciples 2: Dark Prophecy.  Loved it back in the day.

There is also the new Disciples 3.  I couldn't get into it but maybe cause I'm over turn based strategy.

disciples2_screen003.jpg

#11 Posted by the_bi99man (11047 posts) -

Xcom Enemy Unknown. Hahaha. It's a fantastic game. I just recently started playing it again. So good. So fun. So intense. I'm not really into turn based strategy all that much, but Xcom is just so good. Other than that, there's the total war games, although they're not 100% turn based. The big map campaign aspect is turn based, but when you actually go into an area to fight, it controls much like any other RTS, except that you have so many units you control them by squad, rather than individual control over individual soldiers.

#12 Posted by TheLoneMortal (820 posts) -

Heroes of Might and Magic 3 as well as Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri are excellent games. Still need to play XCom myself.

#13 Posted by altrass (7 posts) -

All of the above + you should try a indie game called Frozen Synapse :) I think it's the best in the indie game scene.

#14 Posted by Maroxad (8350 posts) -
  • XCOM: Ufo Defense AKA UFO: Enemy Unknown. As in the original from the 90s, not the crappy dumbed down reimagination.
  • Frozen Synapse
  • Heroes of Might and Magic 3
  • Jagged Alliance 2
#15 Posted by slabber44 (985 posts) -
Older game called Silent Storm also King's Bounty Series, Disciples 2 & 3, Civilzation series, Heroes of Might and Magic series. There's also for the more hardcore and less graphically pleasing there's Combat Mission series.
#16 Posted by alan_carter (1404 posts) -

Heroes of Might & Magic III

#17 Edited by bussinrounds (2206 posts) -

Jagged Alliance 2 (and the 1.13 mod)

Silent Storm - Sentinels

X-Com (the original) and Terror From the Deep

Alpha Centauri

Master of Magic/Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic

Heroes of Might and Magic III

#18 Posted by Gamesterpheonix (3540 posts) -
  • XCOM: Ufo Defense AKA UFO: Enemy Unknown. As in the original from the 90s, not the crappy dumbed down reimagination.
  • Frozen Synapse
  • Heroes of Might and Magic 3
  • Jagged Alliance 2
Maroxad
AH! How could I forget Frozen Synapse. Wonderful game. Get the complete edition with the Red DLC
#19 Posted by kraken2109 (13075 posts) -

Total war games are a nice mix of real time and turn based

#20 Posted by iplayfairsyke (1 posts) -
I'm actually part of the dev team for Just Tactics. It's a turn based 1v1 online game and pretty intellectually intense. Free to play also.
#21 Posted by Maroxad (8350 posts) -

Jagged Alliance 2 (and the 1.13 mod)

Silent Storm - Sentinels

X-Com (the original) and Terror From the Deep

Alpha Centauri

Heroes of Might and Magic III

bussinrounds

How could I forget to mention Alpha Centauri... I gush about that game all the time to my friends yet I forget it here.

As for Jagged Alliance 2. I think it would be better to start a bit in vanilla to get acquainted with the game, then move on to the mod.

#22 Posted by bussinrounds (2206 posts) -

As for Jagged Alliance 2. I think it would be better to start a bit in vanilla to get acquainted with the game, then move on to the mod.

Maroxad

Agreed.

#23 Edited by Lelia779 (7 posts) -

I like very much Warlords 2 and Battle for Wesnoth! There is also Dragon Throne War, in development phase...hope to have the chance to play it soon..

#24 Edited by PfizersaurusRex (690 posts) -

Civilization V with DLC's. It's a different kind of game from those you mentioned, tho, more like a combination of a management sim and a war strategy game. But I think it's worth a try, it's very addictive and now's the time to buy it.

#25 Edited by AdamPA1006 (6420 posts) -

Endless Space is pretty cool