The Best Elder Scrolls Game?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

VoodooGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 VoodooGamer
Member since 2007 • 1864 Posts

I'm a Bethesda forum member and have been for over a year now. One of the most prevalent topics there is "Whats the best Elder Scrolls games?" Mostly everyone there prefer Morrowind. I'm curious to know what your guys favorite Elder Scrolls game is, so if you're a fan what is it and why?

I personally prefer the Morrowind the most. The setting is awesome. A lot of the quests are enjoyable. Music is great. And the art design is top-noth and I never get tired of looking at the scenery even if the gameis four years old.

I like Oblivion but to me it felt dumbed down compared to Morrowind just as Morrowind is dumbed down compared to Daggerfall. Unlike the change from Daggerfall to Morrowind where Morrowind improved on a huge number of things most notably settings and detail, Oblivion to me failed to improve on anything.

Morrowind had a lot of issues like poor dialog and storyline and most importantly, lack of choices and consequences. Oblivion still failed to fix these in my eyes.

SolidKeevo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#2 SolidKeevo
Member since 2004 • 2092 Posts
I know Morrowind is a great game, but I don't really don'tlike how there is no dialog and it doesn't help you much during the quests. I'm currently playing through for my first time, but I can't seem to sit down and play it for long periods of time. Oblivion would have to be my choice. It has great graphics, voice acting, and it makes you feel as though you are in a real, breathing world.
VoodooGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 VoodooGamer

I know Morrowind is a great game, but I don't really don'tlike how there is no dialog and it doesn't help you much during the quests. I'm currently playing through for my first time, but I can't seem to sit down and play it for long periods of time. Oblivion would have to be my choice. It has great graphics, voice acting, and it makes you feel as though you are in a real, breathing world.SolidKeevo

Well it has dialog except it's not spoken. But, it can be hard a little at first but after you reach level 5 the game gets a little easier and you can start being a little more careless and you can start traveling everywhere without fear of dying.

Before I would have been "Graphics mean jack-crap for an RPG" but recently I've been thinking differently. Graphics do indeed help immerse you into a game. But, they shouldn't be thought of as one of the most important parts to an RPG. Some of the best RPGs have bad graphics by todays standards such as Planescape Torment, Fallout, and Baldurs Gate.

JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 JP_Russell
Member since 2005 • 12893 Posts

Some of the best RPGs have bad graphics by todays standards such as Planescape Torment, Fallout, and Baldurs Gate.

VoodooGamer

To be fair, that's true of the classics of any genre.

VoodooGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 VoodooGamer
I agree.
eva89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 eva89
Member since 2004 • 807 Posts

IMO i played both morrowind and oblivion the gameplay is more or less the same.

i think oblivion can be better if they improve the combat system like dark messiah.but anyway both morrowind and oblivion quests are great.although i didnt really like the main quest for oblivion.

yes graphics make up for the game(crysis).imagine oblivion with same old graphics...i think its rating will just drop alot since no visible changes.

G013M

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 G013M
Member since 2006 • 6424 Posts

I've played both Morrowind and Oblivion, and while I do keep hearing that Morrowind is better then Oblivion, I could never really get into Morrowind.

Essentially I kept getting lost :P

But I did enjoy Oblivion, and managed to completely finish that.

VoodooGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 VoodooGamer

IMO i played both morrowind and oblivion the gameplay is more or less the same.

i think oblivion can be better if they improve the combat system like dark messiah.but anyway both morrowind and oblivion quests are great.although i didnt really like the main quest for oblivion.

yes graphics make up for the game(crysis).imagine oblivion with same old graphics...i think its rating will just drop alot since no visible changes.

eva89

Well from what I've seen Crysis has some nice gameplay. But, while graphics do make up for BAD gameplay they don't make up the game. Specifically an RPG and that's what I'm talking about.

Because an RPGs main focus is to immerse and good dialog and storyline do that well.

For Shooters, not so much. The main focus in a Shooter is action and graphics affect that on a profound level.

Angry_Beaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Angry_Beaver
Member since 2003 • 4884 Posts

I've played plenty of both games (though I haven't beaten Morrowind and I don't have the first Oblivion "expansion" yet), but which one is better depends on what you're playing it for. As a more traditional RPG, Morrowind is superior. If you're going into the game looking for an expansive adventure with plenty of quests and an adverse atmosphere, Morrowind is the better game. If you're going into the game looking for better action and a more convincing (graphically) world, which includes better-looking armor and weapons (albeit fewer), then Oblivion is the better game.

eva89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 eva89

i played crysis and cod4 and felt cod4 was better in story and gameplay but crysis has much better gfx mainly its more realistic.

btw good thing about elder scrolls series is that i can replay them without feeling extremely bored.unlike fable..i completed last year and went back playing again ,after few hours i uninstalled it.

its hard to find rpg games that you can replay alot of times.since u know hows the ending like.however action rpg like TQ and diablo 2, i tried playing back and felt they'r still great.

btw TC ur from Bethesda forum?do u know any updates for elder scroll?i havent heard anything from them.

VoodooGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 VoodooGamer

i played crysis and cod4 and felt cod4 was better in story and gameplay but crysis has much better gfx mainly its more realistic.

btw good thing about elder scrolls series is that i can replay them without feeling extremely bored.unlike fable..i completed last year and went back playing again ,after few hours i uninstalled it.

its hard to find rpg games that you can replay alot of times.since u know hows the ending like.however action rpg like TQ and diablo 2, i tried playing back and felt they'r still great.

btw TC ur from Bethesda forum?do u know any updates for elder scroll?i havent heard anything from them.

eva89

Ya they have only released one update so far. But, Morrowind had a fan-made patch so maybe something similar will happen with Oblivion. Because the official patch doesn't fix everything from what I've heard.

MTBare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 MTBare
Member since 2006 • 5176 Posts
Morrowind definitely. One of my favorite RPG's evar.
eva89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 eva89
one thing bad about morrowind is that i get lost easily.and that time im new to this kind of rpg game.consider the 1st fps rpg.
Dazze09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Dazze09
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
Oblivion is my choice without a doubt, its the only elder scrolls game I could get into besides half heartedly being drawn into daggerfall. Morrowind is great, but it lacks in some major qualities, like the quest system witch just lost my interest. Its fighting style is horrible, half the time you dont even know if you hit your enemy and it can be really annoying for low lvls when your fatigue reaches zero and you constantly find yourself falling to the ground in fights, but when you lvl up things do get better. Oblivion for me was like a journey into heaven, it was my first RPG I ever laid hands on, it brought my imagination out, opening up doorways to more RPGs. The story line in oblivion was just great, simple and sweet, exlporing the land was awsome, over 6 hours of exploration, even more maybe, the expantion packs for the game were also great, in oblivion you could really get into it and imagine yourself in the world of tamriel :D, whether it be gearing up for an epic battle or just resting it up at a local tavern sipping on a pint of ale, the things you can do in this game are limitless, fight in a war, join a guild (faction) or quest till your tired. Oblivion is realy, truly the best one of them all.
nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

Oblivion for me. I do like Morrowind's settings more, though.

Remmib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Remmib
Member since 2010 • 2250 Posts

Morrowind definitely. One of my favorite RPG's evar.MTBare

Indeed. My first and favorite RPG.

Hopefully Bethesda doesn't screw up the next game in the series. It better be PC only.

LIONHEART-_-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 LIONHEART-_-
Member since 2010 • 2520 Posts

I know Morrowind is a great game, but I don't really don'tlike how there is no dialog and it doesn't help you much during the quests. I'm currently playing through for my first time, but I can't seem to sit down and play it for long periods of time. Oblivion would have to be my choice. It has great graphics, voice acting, and it makes you feel as though you are in a real, breathing world.SolidKeevo

QFT !!!

Morrowind world is plain silent and a bit boring with no voice from the characters.

I'm gonna go with Oblivion.

Poll please!!

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#18 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

1. Daggerfall

2. Morrowind

3. Arena

4. Oblivion

hands down the two best, have bought every game in the series, those two i consider the best (:

Freak2121GTAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 Freak2121GTAF
Member since 2008 • 697 Posts

I was never able to get into Morrowind.

I did however get into Daggerfall and Oblivion and loved both.

kaitanuvax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 kaitanuvax
Member since 2007 • 3814 Posts

Morrowind crashed on me so many times it wasn't even funny. Couldn't play it at all.

Oblivion's main quest was very boring. I had to force myself to go through the Daedra part. Its dungeons were very repititive as well.

However, I did enjoy many of the side quests, most notably The Dark Brotherhood's.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

Morrowind. Daggerfall was good too, but its quality I believe is a little overstated if you take into consideration the amount of game-breaking bugs. I just played it again recently, and I ended up falling through the beginning dungeon's floor into the abyss a number of times. As for Morrowind, it's easily the jewel of Bethesda's efforts. The atmosphere and immersion is unmatched in my opinion, and the amount of content the game + the expansions have is jaw dropping. It also lacks the terrible voice acting and poorly thought out minigames that Oblivion chose to include.

A lot of people think Oblivion is better because they played it first, and many of them are too lazy to read dialogue and consider it a hindrance. Having written dialogue allows me to imagine how each NPC talks, and it allows them to have much more to say as well. Oblivion's main quest was detestably short and Morrowind's was very lengthy and meaty. Morrowind had a much better storyline as well. Not sure why the OP considers it to have a poor storyline, I thought it was quite well done.

Animatronic64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Animatronic64
Member since 2010 • 3971 Posts

Morrowind is a deeper role-playing experience but its combat is so terrible that I just can't bother to finish it. My favorite is Oblivion despite its short comings as an actual RPG.

kdawg88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 kdawg88
Member since 2009 • 2923 Posts

This is becoming WAY too common...

kaitanuvax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 kaitanuvax
Member since 2007 • 3814 Posts

This is becoming WAY too common...

kdawg88

Damn me for not noticing..

edinsftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 edinsftw
Member since 2009 • 4243 Posts

1. Daggerfall

2. Morrowind

3. Arena

4. Oblivion

hands down the two best, have bought every game in the series, those two i consider the best (:

kozzy1234

This, although daggerfall is one you would have had to be there when it came out to enjoy it now. Morrowind still holds up well.

greenhelm64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 greenhelm64
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
Well, the good news is that it won't only be on PC. How could you think Bethesda are as stupid as you? Oh yeah, cuz your'e stupid.
StrawberryHill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 StrawberryHill
Member since 2008 • 5321 Posts

Well, the good news is that it won't only be on PC. How could you think Bethesda are as stupid as you? Oh yeah, cuz your'e stupid.greenhelm64

It's one thing to necro an old thread, but to blindly insult people...why?

88Cortex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 88Cortex
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
Morrowind. I haven't played the first two though, I started with Morrowind. What a total immersion that was. I remember being quite young(er) and playing it non-stop in during two months of summer vacation. It helped me develop my English for a starter. Morrowind has a GREAT depth, exactly what an RPG player is (or was....?) looking for. It has masterfully designed outdoors and indoors, especially for it's time and it's engine's capabilities. You see.. Oblivion never grasped me hardcore like Morrowind did. It's graphics were breathtaking at first, but you get used to graphics. Closing all those gates was a horrible, horrible experience for me. I knew what to expect every time I went in. Morrowind has a beauty over it, like a piece of art. A certain flavor if you wish. But it takes a toll on the player's ability to read, think, focus and put their energy into the immersion. Time, that more and more (YOUNG/NEW gamers?) don't seem to want to spend. This is very sad imho. I'm currently playing Skyrim and i think they did a good job on trying to satisfy both the action players and RPG players. It struck me as being closer to Morrowind than Oblivion - Skyrim offers a lot of handcrafted audiovisual details both out- and indoors, for the ones who are open to the experience. Morrowind I believe will always be the best balanced and most immersive TeS game forever, if your approach to games isn't stupid as hell that is..
Avatar image for Majd_Abdulqadir
Majd_Abdulqadir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Majd_Abdulqadir
Member since 2009 • 295 Posts

So far I spent 92 hours with Skyrim, and no matter what nostalgic thoughts I may have of previous iterations, this is by far the best one yet.

I'll put it this way, if you let a person who never played any ES game before try all the games from 1 to 5, s/he will most likely choose Skyrim as the best of the lot. The rest is just nostalgia clouding our judgment.

Am_Confucius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Am_Confucius
Member since 2011 • 3229 Posts

and it doesn't help you much during the quests.SolidKeevo
Sigh. This is one of the reasons why Morrowind is superior to most modern RPG's. And it has much more dialog than Oblivion.

Edit: Oblivion had great voice acting? Okay, now I know you are joking. :lol:

frnk55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 frnk55
Member since 2010 • 260 Posts

Morrowind is the only game I bought the strategy guide. So much to do and no quest pointers in it. Fun times back then.

kris9031998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#32 kris9031998
Member since 2008 • 7554 Posts
Old thread. From 2007.