The best CIV in CIV5.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jhonMalcovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 jhonMalcovich
Member since 2010 • 7090 Posts

Mine is Russia. I like building stuff. Siberian Riches are the best perk for the expansive style of play. Maximizing further the production rate, I was able to build any wonders in 6 turns. In my last game, I ended up building literally all wonders, except one or two early ones, I was having 240 gold/per turn at the middle of the game, easily going upto 500 gold/turn during Golden Ages. Late at the game I was having 900 gold/turn during Golden Age. And I was having Golden Ages every 8 turns. And I was building almost every building in every city. I conquered a whole continent for my self. But I had so much money so I was buying buildings in conquered cities boosting all my culture and faith parameters to max.

By year 1992, I was able to choose between science, diplomatic or cultural victory. it was all the same for me. I just became jack of all trades empire.

And thanks to double Uranium quantity, it´s easy to nuke an entire nation at the end of the game as a goodbye. :D

Siberian Riches

Strategic Resources provide +1 20xProduction5Production, and Horse, Iron and Uranium Resources provide double quantity

Building Krepost 

• +15 experience for all units built in this city
  • Reduces 20xCulture5 cost of buying new tiles by 25%

I was eyeing other civilizations, and all of them look quite weak compared to Russia.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts
Russia, Rome and Egypt. Mainly because I like Expansion + Culture victory the most and its quite easy with these 3. Need to go outside of my comfort zone at some point though. Rome has 25% faster production to all cities providing the capital has the building. and the Legion unit is amazing... more roads, strong fighters, quick to make... great for defending my empires. Egypt Purely for the Wonder construction bonus if I intend to wonder farm.
jhonMalcovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 jhonMalcovich

Russia, Rome and Egypt. Mainly because I like Expansion + Culture victory the most and its quite easy with these 3. Need to go outside of my comfort zone at some point though. Rome has 25% faster production to all cities providing the capital has the building. and the Legion unit is amazing... more roads, strong fighters, quick to make... great for defending my empires. Egypt Purely for the Wonder construction bonus if I intend to wonder farm.MBirdy88

The Glory of Rome:

+25% 20xProduction5 Production towards any buildings that already exist in the Capital5Capital

Damn. Romam Empire is OP too. Gonna try them as well.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19583 Posts

I'm a big fan of Venice at the moment.
They require very different strategies than the other civilisations, since you're basically playing as a city state without any control over your conquered cities...but they more than make up for it with awesome money-making abilities (I was earning multiple thousand gold per turn in my previous playthrough) and some fun late-game power-plays.

Their power is Serenissima:

• Cannot gain settlers nor annex cities
  • Double the normal number of trade routes available
  • A Merchant of Venice appears after researching Optics
  • May purchase in puppeted cities

The Merchants of Venice get twice as much money and influence from making trade missions with city-states, and can outright convert city-states instantaneously (at no cost) without any negative repurcussions. So they're great towards the end of the game, where you can instantly turn an enemy-aligned city-state into a friendly airport and unit-producing location in a single turn.

malatato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 malatato
Member since 2009 • 194 Posts

My favorites

Domination: Mongolia - Spam keshiks and you will see how mongolia conquered half of the earth in reality

Cultural: France- that bonus in the capital makes culture victory really easy

Diplomatic:Greece - Unique Ability + Patronage, for a 1000 gold you can befriend a city state for a thousand years

Science:Babylon - I can't keep track on how many great scientist I generated. the best feeling is launching that rocket before other civilization even finish reinassance 

As for BNW civs the only one I played is poland and I like its social policy per era advancement

malatato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 malatato

Mine is Russia. I like building stuff. Siberian Riches are the best perk for the expansive style of play. Maximizing further the production rate, I was able to build any wonders in 6 turns. In my last game, I ended up building literally all wonders, except one or two early ones, I was having 240 gold/per turn at the middle of the game, easily going upto 500 gold/turn during Golden Ages. Late at the game I was having 900 gold/turn during Golden Age. And I was having Golden Ages every 8 turns. And I was building almost every building in every city. I conquered a whole continent for my self. But I had so much money so I was buying buildings in conquered cities boosting all my culture and faith parameters to max.

By year 1992, I was able to choose between science, diplomatic or cultural victory. it was all the same for me. I just became jack of all trades empire.

And thanks to double Uranium quantity, it´s easy to nuke an entire nation at the end of the game as a goodbye. :D

Siberian Riches

Strategic Resources provide +1 20xProduction5Production, and Horse, Iron and Uranium Resources provide double quantity

Building Krepost 

• +15 experience for all units built in this city
  • Reduces 20xCulture5 cost of buying new tiles by 25%

I was eyeing other civilizations, and all of them look quite weak compared to Russia.

jhonMalcovich

Eww... russia is tundra biased and krepost is one of the worst unique building i've ever seen, I am not touching that civ

soolkiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 soolkiki
Member since 2008 • 1783 Posts

I've been enjoying Rome quite a bit.

SKaREO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 SKaREO
Member since 2006 • 3161 Posts
Arabia is broken if you know how to fast expand. Once you build your trade routes and develop gold mines across the map, your gold income becomes ridiculous. You can buy armies. You can bribe city-states to go to war with you. I usually get all city-states to befriend me by sending them endless money. Russia is a really well rounded civilization and good early to mid game, but I think Arabia will smash the late game with their infinite money supply.
malatato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 malatato

Arabia is broken if you know how to fast expand. Once you build your trade routes and develop gold mines across the map, your gold income becomes ridiculous. You can buy armies. You can bribe city-states to go to war with you. I usually get all city-states to befriend me by sending them endless money. Rssia is a really well rounded civilization and good early to mid game, but I think Arabia will smash the late game with their infinite money supply.SKaREO
Not as broken as vanilla china and venice. venice ai swims at 1000gpt at my last game in immortal

SKaREO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 SKaREO

[QUOTE="SKaREO"]Arabia is broken if you know how to fast expand. Once you build your trade routes and develop gold mines across the map, your gold income becomes ridiculous. You can buy armies. You can bribe city-states to go to war with you. I usually get all city-states to befriend me by sending them endless money. Rssia is a really well rounded civilization and good early to mid game, but I think Arabia will smash the late game with their infinite money supply.malatato

Not as broken as vanilla china and venice. venice ai swims at 1000gpt at my last game in immortal

Venice is a City-State. China gets bonus generals. Arabia gets bonus gold for each trade route created. If I were to figure which of these would become the most wealthy, I'd have to go with Arabia.
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

I roll pretty well with Babylon

Seems to be a good mix of muscle and brain with a lot of options for wealth

malatato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 malatato

[QUOTE="malatato"]

[QUOTE="SKaREO"]Arabia is broken if you know how to fast expand. Once you build your trade routes and develop gold mines across the map, your gold income becomes ridiculous. You can buy armies. You can bribe city-states to go to war with you. I usually get all city-states to befriend me by sending them endless money. Rssia is a really well rounded civilization and good early to mid game, but I think Arabia will smash the late game with their infinite money supply.SKaREO

Venice is a City-State. China gets bonus generals. Arabia gets bonus gold for each trade route created. If I were to figure which of these would become the most wealthy, I'd have to go with Arabia.

civilization.wikia.com/wiki/Venetian_(Civ5) you should try brave new world, it is a good expansion.

vanilla China's power is not in great generals but in chu ko nu's that attack twice and also gains experience in every attack that means double exp. Paper maker one of the most broken unique building ensures that you can fund all your military. truly one of the best civ in domination

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts
I think the map type makes a much bigger difference in Civ V than it did in earlier Civs. Some of the civs have unique abilities that require the discovery of a new continent, etc. Still, for most games, I would have to say that Rome is the strongest.
PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 PurpleMan5000

[QUOTE="SKaREO"]Arabia is broken if you know how to fast expand. Once you build your trade routes and develop gold mines across the map, your gold income becomes ridiculous. You can buy armies. You can bribe city-states to go to war with you. I usually get all city-states to befriend me by sending them endless money. Rssia is a really well rounded civilization and good early to mid game, but I think Arabia will smash the late game with their infinite money supply.malatato

I wouldn't say that Venice is broken. Their strengths are very OP, but they have a huge glaring weakness in that their capital will have no friendly cities around it unless they settle right next to a city state or somebody is dumb enough to settle a city close to them. Venice is just a really interesting civ.
SKaREO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 SKaREO

[QUOTE="SKaREO"][QUOTE="malatato"]Not as broken as vanilla china and venice. venice ai swims at 1000gpt at my last game in immortal

malatato

civilization.wikia.com/wiki/Venetian_(Civ5) you should try brave new world, it is a good expansion.

vanilla China's power is not in great generals but in chu ko nu's that attack twice and also gains experience in every attack that means double exp. Paper maker one of the most broken unique building ensures that you can fund all your military. truly one of the best civ in domination

Okay, regardless that venice has more trade routes, late game oil becomes so valuable and precious, Arabians get double the quantity of other civs. Brave New World might be a great expansion but I would never know because I refuse to purchase another 2K game again after XCOM. But that's for another discussion entirely. You might be right, I've never played as Venice, I usually just bribe them to join me, but I still think Arabia would be the strongest late game civilization in the game. Maybe not the best all around but definitely my favorite to play.
Sweetbackhair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16 Sweetbackhair
Member since 2007 • 2959 Posts
I didn't really play as much and try out all the Civs so I can't say I have a favorite just yet.
Squeets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 Squeets
Member since 2006 • 8185 Posts

China

Ranged unit that can attack twice in a turn?

Free generals all the time?

Paper Maker?

Yes please.

Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#18 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts
I did random my last game and they started me off as Korea, not impressed.
malatato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 malatato

China

Paper Maker?

Yes please.

Squeets

China got nerfed really bad along with warmonger civs in BNW

SKaREO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 SKaREO

China

Paper Maker?

Yes please.

Squeets
China has a strong mid game army, if they make it that far. I tend to focus down the communists early by forming alliances with the hordes like the Germans and the Aztecs. Take out Russia and China early and make it into the late game, then your enemies have no chance because they are so poor from waging wars with you earlier.
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

I did random my last game and they started me off as Korea, not impressed.Allicrombie

best science victory civ in the game :P

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 PurpleMan5000
I'm playing a game as India right now. They seem pretty weak. Culture seems like it would be the way to go, but I really don't have a solid understanding of how that even works in BNW.
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 wis3boi

I'm playing a game as India right now. They seem pretty weak. Culture seems like it would be the way to go, but I really don't have a solid understanding of how that even works in BNW.PurpleMan5000

Culture output leads to more social policies.  Use these social policies to further define your desired play style.  If going for a culture victory, you need to focus on creating great people, which make great works like art and music, and that leads to tourism.  You need to have the dominant culture and highest tourism from all other civs to win

jhonMalcovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 jhonMalcovich

I'm playing a game as India right now. They seem pretty weak. Culture seems like it would be the way to go, but I really don't have a solid understanding of how that even works in BNW.PurpleMan5000

If you play India, then you don´t need to have more than 3 cities. With every additional city you will get 30% increase in culture costs for getting a next policy. 

xsubtownerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#25 xsubtownerx
Member since 2007 • 10705 Posts
There's too many civs to pick just 1. I like about 50% of them. They all play relatively differently.
gio-dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 gio-dude
Member since 2013 • 41 Posts

never played a civ game should i play the others or are they not sequential

I imagine they have got progressively more accessible to new players, seems to be a trend

James00715

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 James00715
Member since 2003 • 2484 Posts

never played a civ game should i play the others or are they not sequential

I imagine they have got progressively more accessible to new players, seems to be a trend

gio-dude

None of them have any story campaign, so there's no sequential story that would be hard to understand playing them out of order. It's really a matter if which one has the game mechanics you like. Long time players of civ games all have their own favorite.

Civ 3 and Civ 5 are best for the conquest style play, conquering as much territory as possible. Civ 4 has the best diplomacy making it a better game if you like the more peaceful wins. Civ 5 has gotten much better at the peaceful wins with the two expansions, but many players still prefer Civ 4's deeper mechanics.

malatato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 malatato

[QUOTE="Allicrombie"]I did random my last game and they started me off as Korea, not impressed.wis3boi

babylon objects

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 PurpleMan5000

[QUOTE="PurpleMan5000"]I'm playing a game as India right now. They seem pretty weak. Culture seems like it would be the way to go, but I really don't have a solid understanding of how that even works in BNW.wis3boi

Culture output leads to more social policies.  Use these social policies to further define your desired play style.  If going for a culture victory, you need to focus on creating great people, which make great works like art and music, and that leads to tourism.  You need to have the dominant culture and highest tourism from all other civs to win

So has culture replaced the high score victory, or is there a certain level of tourism that triggers the victory?
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 wis3boi

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

[QUOTE="PurpleMan5000"]I'm playing a game as India right now. They seem pretty weak. Culture seems like it would be the way to go, but I really don't have a solid understanding of how that even works in BNW.PurpleMan5000

So has culture replaced the high score victory, or is there a certain level of tourism that triggers the victory?

You need to have the dominant tourism over every single other civ in the game.  There's a new tourism menu that shows your influence on others.  Other leaders will converse with you and say they are "buying your jeans and listening to your pop music" when you're influencing them. 

gio-dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 gio-dude
Member since 2013 • 41 Posts
Thanks, think i'll go with 5
GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#32 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

Russia is my favorite but I like Prussia as well. Thier ability to convert Barbarians is very handy if you have a troublesome neighbour or two early on. Even more so if you enable 'raging barbarians' :)

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#33 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

[QUOTE="Allicrombie"]I did random my last game and they started me off as Korea, not impressed.wis3boi

Babylon beats all when it comes to science

It's actually a little unfair how quickly science gets off the ground if you play them.

Science then gets you clout with city states, better chances to develop, and a better army.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

'MURICA!

LazySloth718

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 LazySloth718
Member since 2011 • 2345 Posts

I change based on mood.

Byzantine for the music. Korea for the art style. Rome for the history.

Sometimes I'll watch a documentary about a culture, and then go play that culture.

There's no civilization I haven't played, but some just feel boring to me.

According to Steam I've put in 550 hours on this game.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#36 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58393 Posts

I like England when I play Archipelago maps for obvious reasons lol.

Playing as Venice for the first time right now, it is interesting but very fun so far :) Going for culture victory.

I enjoy Japan for military just because they fight at full strength even when wounded.

cammah1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#37 cammah1
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

For some reason, I like Ethiopia. This is because their unique buildin, that replaces a monument, generates faith