The Asus ROG PG278Q. Something to look forward for ?

#1 Posted by Motokid6 (5703 posts) -

So I've been trying to find a reason to upgrade for awhile now. My 670 is starting to show its age. It's loud, and more so I'm looking to get my pc off my television and back onto a desk and monitor setup. So I'm looking for a nice monitor to make it worth while.

The Asus ROG PG278Q 1440p 120hz gsync monitor. Bit of a mouthful that one. This is what I'm waiting for before getting a new gpu to power it.

So with the announcement of the delay of the 800 series into next year I think I'm going to treat myself to a 780ti.

So a 780ti running that monitor when it comes out in June ( supposedly ) So.. Is this a good move? Bad move? Would someone else recommend something different? I am aware of the price tag. An $800 monitor with an $800 gpu is a $1600 upgrade. So.. would it be worth it? Is this gysnc worth it? Thoughts?

#2 Edited by PredatorRules (8113 posts) -

@Motokid6 said:

So I've been trying to find a reason to upgrade for awhile now. My 670 is starting to show its age. It's loud, and more so I'm looking to get my pc off my television and back onto a desk and monitor setup. So I'm looking for a nice monitor to make it worth while.

The Asus ROG PG278Q 1440p 120hz gsync monitor. Bit of a mouthful that one. This is what I'm waiting for before getting a new gpu to power it.

So with the announcement of the delay of the 800 series into next year I think I'm going to treat myself to a 780ti.

So a 780ti running that monitor when it comes out in June ( supposedly ) So.. Is this a good move? Bad move? Would someone else recommend something different? I am aware of the price tag. An $800 monitor with an $800 gpu is a $1600 upgrade. So.. would it be worth it? Is this gysnc worth it? Thoughts?

Don't forget you'll want 2x 290 or 2x 780 to run games on 60fps with those monitors.

#3 Posted by The_Animator420 (227 posts) -

Im also waiting for the Asus PG278Q. I currently have 1 780, and will be purchasing another, along with the monitor.

#4 Edited by Motokid6 (5703 posts) -

Well I don't plan on running games at 120fps. Just 60. So even with that you would still recommend sli 780s? Is there a dual gpu alternative by chance that's cheaper?

#5 Edited by JigglyWiggly_ (23603 posts) -

I really want one, but too poor for that lol

It's not 120hz, it's 120hz+ according to their site( hope it's 144hz)

A single 780ti should be good for that monitor.

#6 Edited by PredatorRules (8113 posts) -

@JigglyWiggly_ said:

A single 780ti should be good for that monitor.

If you're fine with 30fps, then yes.

#7 Posted by JigglyWiggly_ (23603 posts) -

@PredatorRules said:

@JigglyWiggly_ said:

A single 780ti should be good for that monitor.

If you're fine with 30fps, then yes.

If this was 4k you'd have a point. At 2560x1440 a 780ti isn't going to run 30fps on any game.

#8 Edited by The_Animator420 (227 posts) -

@JigglyWiggly_ said:

@PredatorRules said:

@JigglyWiggly_ said:

A single 780ti should be good for that monitor.

If you're fine with 30fps, then yes.

If this was 4k you'd have a point. At 2560x1440 a 780ti isn't going to run 30fps on any game.

It depends on which games,obviously.

Check some of these benchmarks that I found.

#9 Edited by The_Animator420 (227 posts) -

@JigglyWiggly_ said:

@PredatorRules said:

@JigglyWiggly_ said:

A single 780ti should be good for that monitor.

If you're fine with 30fps, then yes.

If this was 4k you'd have a point. At 2560x1440 a 780ti isn't going to run 30fps on any game.

Crysis actually gets clsoe to 30fps at 1440p. Check these benchmarks.

#10 Posted by JigglyWiggly_ (23603 posts) -

With 4x AA

#11 Posted by The_Animator420 (227 posts) -

@JigglyWiggly_: and your point? Those are normal game settings, nothing outlandish or crazy,,,

#12 Edited by Motokid6 (5703 posts) -

30fps is no good. I need 45 - 60 at least. Anything more is just a bonus. .. I'd hate to drop $1,200 on gpu's then 8 months later the new Maxwells come out.

#13 Edited by airshocker (29863 posts) -

@Motokid6 said:

30fps is no good. I need 45 - 60 at least. Anything more is just a bonus. .. I'd hate to drop $1,200 on gpu's then 8 months later the new Maxwells come out.

Just wait for the new cards.

#14 Edited by Motokid6 (5703 posts) -

2015 though. That monitor is coming out in June. Lol.. this is the stuff I lose sleep over :p

If I wait till 2015 then this monitor will have something bigger and badder to replace it. Yes if you wait for the next upgrade you'll be waiting for ever I know.. it's the cycle. But this is a new series of gpu were talking.

Hm.. well I supposed I'll cross this bridge in June..

#15 Posted by airshocker (29863 posts) -

@Motokid6 said:

2015 though. That monitor is coming out in June. Lol.. this is the stuff I lose sleep over :p

If I wait till 2015 then this monitor will have something bigger and badder to replace it. Yes if you wait for the next upgrade you'll be waiting for ever I know.. it's the cycle. But this is a new series of gpu were talking.

Hm.. well I supposed I'll cross this bridge in June..

So what? The g-sync monitors are going to be "nice to haves" not "must haves".

Seriously ask yourself: WHY upgrade now? Unless you absolutely have to, which doesn't seem to be the case, you should try exercising some patience. Your wallet will thank you.

#16 Edited by BattleSpectre (6210 posts) -

TN Panel? Ew no thanks. If this was an IPS monitor I may of been interested.

#17 Edited by JigglyWiggly_ (23603 posts) -

@BattleSpectre said:

TN Panel? Ew no thanks. If this was an IPS monitor I may of been interested.

Yeah me too, I love that input lag and ghosting.

#18 Edited by BattleSpectre (6210 posts) -

@JigglyWiggly_ said:

@BattleSpectre said:

TN Panel? Ew no thanks. If this was an IPS monitor I may of been interested.

Yeah me too, I love that input lag and ghosting.

I'm looking at a 1440p LG IPS panel at the moment that I'm interested in that has a 5ms response time, I doubt I will notice any ghosting or input lag. I'm not a competitive online shooter type of person (In fact I despise FPS, or playing most games online in general). So i'll be just fine.

If you think a TN panel produces a better picture/ and or colour presentation than an IPS panel I feel sorry for you, and perhaps you should get those eyes checked mate.

#19 Posted by JigglyWiggly_ (23603 posts) -

Who said that? This is a gaming monitor, why would they put an ips display in there?

#20 Posted by FelipeInside (25658 posts) -

@BattleSpectre said:

@JigglyWiggly_ said:

@BattleSpectre said:

If you think a TN panel produces a better picture/ and or colour presentation than an IPS panel I feel sorry for you, and perhaps you should get those eyes checked mate.

Depends on the model.

I've seen some TN panels that look heaps better than an IPS, and vice-versa.

#21 Edited by BattleSpectre (6210 posts) -

@FelipeInside said:

@BattleSpectre said:

@JigglyWiggly_ said:

@BattleSpectre said:

If you think a TN panel produces a better picture/ and or colour presentation than an IPS panel I feel sorry for you, and perhaps you should get those eyes checked mate.

Depends on the model.

I've seen some TN panels that look heaps better than an IPS, and vice-versa.

True, I guess the TC might benefit from a 120hz panel too, different strokes for different blokes. I'll wait to see what LinusTech has to say about it.

#22 Edited by JigglyWiggly_ (23603 posts) -

linus is a moron

On his gsync video he bashed the vg248qe saying how mediocre the monitor was.

Then he has another video on the XL2420TE and he praises how good it looks for a TN panel.

Both monitors have the same panel.

#23 Posted by Horgen (110151 posts) -

@JigglyWiggly_ said:

@BattleSpectre said:

TN Panel? Ew no thanks. If this was an IPS monitor I may of been interested.

Yeah me too, I love that input lag and ghosting.

Not everyone here has to run games at 150FPS+ Jiggly. Personally more than happy with a solid 60fps. Using a 10bit P-IPS panel it is not the fastest one out there, but good enough for me... For now.

#24 Edited by Grey_Eyed_Elf (3904 posts) -

I was going to buy that monitor... But then the LG 34UM95 came out with its 34" 21:9 lusciousness and 3440x1440 megagasms.

#25 Posted by BattleSpectre (6210 posts) -

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

I was going to buy that monitor... But then the LG 34UM95 came out with its 34" 21:9 lusciousness and 3440x1440 megagasms.

That's exactly the monitor I've been having an eye on ;)

#26 Posted by Daious (1357 posts) -

I am so torn about buying this since DP 1.3 is coming out.

#27 Posted by 404FredNotFound (79 posts) -

What I don't know is if this monitor will compare to the current lightboost hack, also a few points:

1- 4x MSAA on a 1440p or higher is pretty pointless, FXAA is more then enough or none at all depending on the game, I run the Witcher 2 at 1600p and don't even have need for AA.

2- For 1440p a singles 780 or 290x will suffice to get 60fps on 1440p on every game, also you should think in getting some decent DDR3 2133 Mhz and above, it really makes a diference in higher resolution gaming also stick with 2 sticks.

3- I would wait to see what companies like Samsung, Benq and LG will put out, 1440p @ 120hz isn't new Korean overclocked monitors have been doing it for a while but they are still no match for a true 120Hz monitor, and we should now start to see this new 120hz starting to come out.

120hz Monitors are great for not only for the smoothness of the image but for the latency has well, I'm not sure Gsync is all that important on a 120Hz monitor, then again I still haven't had the pleasure of seeing one running it.

#28 Edited by The_Animator420 (227 posts) -

@404FredNotFound said:

2- For 1440p a singles 780 or 290x will suffice to get 60fps on 1440p on every game

If you would do a little research and look at benchmarks, you would know that is not true.

And for your ram statement, going from 1866 to 2133 or similar would produce no noticeable difference, other than your wallet being empty.

#29 Edited by 404FredNotFound (79 posts) -

@The_Animator420 said:

@404FredNotFound said:

2- For 1440p a singles 780 or 290x will suffice to get 60fps on 1440p on every game

If you would do a little research and look at benchmarks, you would know that is not true.

And for your ram statement, going from 1866 to 2133 or similar would produce no noticeable difference, other than your wallet being empty.

I run BF4 at 50-60Fps out of a 670 Overclock at 1200Mhz,@1600p, So I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about, all those benches use 4x MSAA again has I said its useless at those resolutions, also has said higher ram frequencies makes a difference, if you are gaming at higher resolution, from 1600 to 2133 I got and 10fps boost, and I'm using Corsair vengeance that's supposed to be 1600Mhz, overclocked to 2133Mhz. Again no need to pay the extra most quality ram kits will give you a nice overclock.

#30 Edited by JigglyWiggly_ (23603 posts) -

@horgen said:

@JigglyWiggly_ said:

@BattleSpectre said:

TN Panel? Ew no thanks. If this was an IPS monitor I may of been interested.

Yeah me too, I love that input lag and ghosting.

Not everyone here has to run games at 150FPS+ Jiggly. Personally more than happy with a solid 60fps. Using a 10bit P-IPS panel it is not the fastest one out there, but good enough for me... For now.

My point was that it's a gaming monitor, so there is no point to use to put an IPS display in there.

#31 Edited by Ribstaylor1 (713 posts) -

This is what I wanted last summer when I purchased my Asus Pb278q. It's too bad their is no turn in and upgrade policy in place I would do it in a heartbeat.