Tera Online or RaiderZ? Which one is better?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by nini200 (9947 posts) -

So I've been watching lots of videos on both Tera Online and RaiderZ and I like them both.

I am having trouble deciding which one I should choose to play.

I hear alot of people saying that RaiderZ ripped a few things from Tera Online and that may be true but the game still looks really good.

I like the Customization and Fantasy design more in Tera but I like the boss fights and slower leveling system on RaiderZ.

Also, can I use a Wireless or USB controller to play these?  If so, do you have any recommendations?

I loved the WiiMote controls on Monster Hunter Tri (and if I could get those in any one of these two games then I'd be extremely happy but I'm pretty sure that hasn't been done yet so I'm ok with Mouse and Keyboard or Standard Controller) and since WiiMote controls are now gone, I may ditch Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate and just start something new.

Also, I've seen Guild Wars 2 but I don't think it appeals to me much but I may give it a shot eventually as well.

#2 Posted by ionusX (25716 posts) -

their basically the same game but if i had to choose tera. TERA was once p2p and will have some sort of form of a game. raiderz will be an endless sea of grinding in one zone or another believe me its better to go with the game once p2p over the f2p from the start. you will come to thank me later

GW2 is actually not that bad of a game. basically those who dont like tera as either a primary or side mmo ( a side mmo is normally a game folks play during downtime or when their sick to their stomach playing their normal mmo ) find it to be a good time waster and if you are least open minded enough to do something more than just pve or more than jsut PvP you will have a fun time almost every day you pick it up guaranteed.

and if you want any examples of what im getting at..

respawnign enemies standing in fields waiting for you to kill them.. its like asking u if you want to kill sh!t

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Vvo-VisDoM

and look stuff looking fopr u trying to kill you.. aint that marvelous sh!t

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qK9vHI9k1G4

also if i had to pick one of the three to play on a gamepad gw2 would be it. ALOT less buttons to remap and therefore alot simpler layout

im not trying to plug my game of choice but given between the three gw2 is my pick and between the origional 2 is take tera but GL getting either of them on a gamepad. my two cents take it or leave it.

#3 Posted by nini200 (9947 posts) -

their basically the same game but if i had to choose tera. TERA was once p2p and will have some sort of form of a game. raiderz will be an endless sea of grinding in one zone or another believe me its better to go with the game once p2p over the f2p from the start. you will come to thank me later

GW2 is actually not that bad of a game. basically those who dont like tera as either a primary or side mmo ( a side mmo is normally a game folks play during downtime or when their sick to their stomach playing their normal mmo ) find it to be a good time waster and if you are least open minded enough to do something more than just pve or more than jsut PvP you will have a fun time almost every day you pick it up guaranteed.

respawnign enemies standing in fields waiting for you to kill them.. its like asking u if you want to kill sh!t

also if i had to pick one of the three to play on a gamepad gw2 would be it. ALOT less buttons to remap and therefore alot simpler layout

im not trying to plug my game of choice but given between the three gw2 is my pick and between the origional 2 is take tera but GL getting either of them on a gamepad. my two cents take it or leave it.

ionusX
Thanks sooo much for the quick response ionusX. I will be starting out with Tera Online then.
#4 Posted by ionusX (25716 posts) -

[QUOTE="ionusX"]

nini200

Thanks sooo much for the quick response ionusX. I will be starting out with Tera Online then.

np

#5 Posted by BrunoBRS (73263 posts) -
nini, i thought i had made it clear that GW2 is the game to go :P though i'd say ionus' choice of video for GW2 is hardly a good one :P
#6 Posted by ionusX (25716 posts) -

nini, i thought i had made it clear that GW2 is the game to go :P though i'd say ionus' choice of video for GW2 is hardly a good one :PBrunoBRS
alot better than anything u could link.. wut were u gonna do compare jormag to activities of a lvl 1? no thats wrong lvl 1 vs 1 thats the way it should be and if an MMO cant capture u and keep u playing the first 5 levels u generally wont last till mid way through leveling and VERY rarely will make it to level cap.

#7 Posted by BrunoBRS (73263 posts) -

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]nini, i thought i had made it clear that GW2 is the game to go :P though i'd say ionus' choice of video for GW2 is hardly a good one :PionusX

alot better than anything u could link.. wut were u gonna do compare jormag to activities of a lvl 1? no thats wrong lvl 1 vs 1 thats the way it should be and if an MMO cant capture u and keep u playing the first 5 levels u generally wont last till mid way through leveling and VERY rarely will make it to level cap.

you were showing a personal story quest, not an actual event in the world. and the guy clearly doesn't know what he's doing, because he's standing still and clicking on skill icons. there are better videos to be shown, and you shouldn't take it so personally.
#8 Posted by BrunoBRS (73263 posts) -
just for example, i haven't really recorded anything since the game launched, but here's an event that is in the final game, and you can do within your first day of playing, since it's very early level (level 10 i believe, which you can achieve in as little as two hours without even putting much effort into it).
#9 Posted by nini200 (9947 posts) -
just for example, i haven't really recorded anything since the game launched, but here's an event that is in the final game, and you can do within your first day of playing, since it's very early level (level 10 i believe, which you can achieve in as little as two hours without even putting much effort into it).BrunoBRS
Wow that event on GW2 is impressive. Can GW2 be played with a controller?
#10 Posted by ionusX (25716 posts) -

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]just for example, i haven't really recorded anything since the game launched, but here's an event that is in the final game, and you can do within your first day of playing, since it's very early level (level 10 i believe, which you can achieve in as little as two hours without even putting much effort into it).nini200

you requires xpadder but u can use an xbox360 controller

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1YROM5NF7bCbkbJTsEvZ2XRPHZSYdtctkPzj9yo0zleI/edit?pli=1

#11 Posted by BrunoBRS (73263 posts) -
[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]just for example, i haven't really recorded anything since the game launched, but here's an event that is in the final game, and you can do within your first day of playing, since it's very early level (level 10 i believe, which you can achieve in as little as two hours without even putting much effort into it).nini200

it's not officially supported, but like ionus pointed out, there's software that would allow you to play with a controller. i never tried to, though, as i find it much better to play on a keyboard :P another thing GW2 has: PLATFORMING.
#12 Posted by nini200 (9947 posts) -

[QUOTE="nini200"][QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]just for example, i haven't really recorded anything since the game launched, but here's an event that is in the final game, and you can do within your first day of playing, since it's very early level (level 10 i believe, which you can achieve in as little as two hours without even putting much effort into it).ionusX

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1YROM5NF7bCbkbJTsEvZ2XRPHZSYdtctkPzj9yo0zleI/edit?pli=1

Interesting and Thanks.  I'll definitely use that.

Also I've noticed alot of reviewers say that they like the Thief and to not use the Mesmer.  I'm guessing from this that the thief is the best class.  Hopefully this is not so and they are balanced but going by the reviews so far, alot of them seem to like the Thief class.  They say the thief class has tons of customization.  Is this true?

I am planning on using Mesmer.

#13 Posted by BrunoBRS (73263 posts) -

[QUOTE="ionusX"]

[QUOTE="nini200"] Wow that event on GW2 is impressive. Can GW2 be played with a controller?nini200

Also I've noticed alot of reviewers say that they like the Thief and to not use the Mesmer.  I'm guessing from this that the thief is the best class.  Hopefully this is not so and they are balanced but going by the reviews so far, alot of them seem to like the Thief class.  They say the thief class has tons of customization.  Is this true?

all classes have plenty of customization lol. and there's nothing wrong with the mesmer, it's just that it's a class that takes a lot of time to get interesting on PvE, a late bloomer, you might say. on all PvP modes, however, mesmers on your team are a godsend, and mesmers on the enemy team are hell on earth (unless they play bad :P) the thief has a rather poor selection of weapons, and it plays by rules different than the other classes (no cooldowns for attack skills, but has energy management), not to mention it is incredibly squishy, but personally it's my favorite class. my advice is just try out a class, check some different weapons, see if it's your thing, and if it's not, move on to another one. there are plenty of classes that i would never imagine liking, but really enjoy *cough*warrior*cough*. oh and really, if a user review is complaining about class X and praising class Y, that's just a guy that liked a certain playstyle and couldn't enjoy another, which is perfectly fine, but hardly objective.
#14 Posted by nini200 (9947 posts) -
[QUOTE="nini200"]

[QUOTE="ionusX"] you requires xpadder but u can use an xbox360 controller

BrunoBRS

all classes have plenty of customization lol. and there's nothing wrong with the mesmer, it's just that it's a class that takes a lot of time to get interesting on PvE, a late bloomer, you might say. on all PvP modes, however, mesmers on your team are a godsend, and mesmers on the enemy team are hell on earth (unless they play bad :P) the thief has a rather poor selection of weapons, and it plays by rules different than the other classes (no cooldowns for attack skills, but has energy management), not to mention it is incredibly squishy, but personally it's my favorite class. my advice is just try out a class, check some different weapons, see if it's your thing, and if it's not, move on to another one. there are plenty of classes that i would never imagine liking, but really enjoy *cough*warrior*cough*. oh and really, if a user review is complaining about class X and praising class Y, that's just a guy that liked a certain playstyle and couldn't enjoy another, which is perfectly fine, but hardly objective.

Oh I see. So basically Mesmers are more for experienced players then. Perfect lol that's what I want to use lol I just found out that GW2 is $79 O.O Hoo Wee! My pockets are crying :shock:
#15 Posted by BrunoBRS (73263 posts) -
[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"][QUOTE="nini200"] Interesting and Thanks.  I'll definitely use that.

nini200

Oh I see. So basically Mesmers are more for experienced players then. Perfect lol that's what I want to use lol I just found out that GW2 is $79 O.O Hoo Wee! My pockets are crying :shock:

79 dollars for the premium edition lol, standard is just 59 dollars. mesmers are definitely the toughest class to learn, and like i said, on PvE it takes time to unlock their true potential, but if you like it, go for it. just don't be surprised if a class you thought you would like doesn't turn out all that great, chances are there's another class (or set of weapons) that suits you better. GW2 has a way of being like that :P
#16 Posted by nini200 (9947 posts) -

[QUOTE="nini200"][QUOTE="BrunoBRS"] all classes have plenty of customization lol. and there's nothing wrong with the mesmer, it's just that it's a class that takes a lot of time to get interesting on PvE, a late bloomer, you might say. on all PvP modes, however, mesmers on your team are a godsend, and mesmers on the enemy team are hell on earth (unless they play bad :P) the thief has a rather poor selection of weapons, and it plays by rules different than the other classes (no cooldowns for attack skills, but has energy management), not to mention it is incredibly squishy, but personally it's my favorite class. my advice is just try out a class, check some different weapons, see if it's your thing, and if it's not, move on to another one. there are plenty of classes that i would never imagine liking, but really enjoy *cough*warrior*cough*. oh and really, if a user review is complaining about class X and praising class Y, that's just a guy that liked a certain playstyle and couldn't enjoy another, which is perfectly fine, but hardly objective.BrunoBRS

79 dollars for the premium edition lol, standard is just 59 dollars. mesmers are definitely the toughest class to learn, and like i said, on PvE it takes time to unlock their true potential, but if you like it, go for it. just don't be surprised if a class you thought you would like doesn't turn out all that great, chances are there's another class (or set of weapons) that suits you better. GW2 has a way of being like that :P

Yes Premium edition lol Is that stuff you can unlock in the game anyway? And oh they will turn out great and um... :P :lol:

Also, is this game pay to play or free online and do you have to spend real money to buy items and such?

#17 Posted by BrunoBRS (73263 posts) -

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"][QUOTE="nini200"] Oh I see. So basically Mesmers are more for experienced players then. Perfect lol that's what I want to use lol I just found out that GW2 is $79 O.O Hoo Wee! My pockets are crying :shock:nini200

Yes Premium edition lol Is that stuff you can unlock in the game anyway? And oh they will turn out great and um... :P :lol:

Also, is this game pay to play or free online and do you have to spend real money to buy items and such?

the premium edition has, to be honest, a lot of useless crap. i would pass on it unless they make a special deal like the one on christmas, where the premium edition was priced the same as the standard.

the game is completely free after the initial payment. it has a cash shop of convenience items such as exp boosters and instant armor repair canisters (that can be obtained in-game for free anyway) and cosmetic stuff, like town clothes, backpacks that look like stuffed animals (with no special stats on them, mind you), etc.

the currency used in this shop, called gems, can also be traded for gold and vice versa, with prices fluctuating depending on a trade ratio (so if there'are too many gold -> gem trades, the price of gems rise, but if too many gems are traded for gold, the price drops). this means that even if you really want something from the cash shop, you can just trade in-game gold for gems and pay for it. to this day, i've only spent 10 dollars in the store, and it was for a halloween costume (and some extra stuff).

#18 Posted by nini200 (9947 posts) -
[QUOTE="nini200"]

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"] 79 dollars for the premium edition lol, standard is just 59 dollars. mesmers are definitely the toughest class to learn, and like i said, on PvE it takes time to unlock their true potential, but if you like it, go for it. just don't be surprised if a class you thought you would like doesn't turn out all that great, chances are there's another class (or set of weapons) that suits you better. GW2 has a way of being like that :PBrunoBRS

the premium edition has, to be honest, a lot of useless crap. i would pass on it unless they make a special deal like the one on christmas, where the premium edition was priced the same as the standard. the game is completely free after the initial payment. it has a cash shop of convenience items (that can be obtained in-game for free anyway) and cosmetic stuff, like town clothes, backpacks that look like stuffed animals (with no special stats on them, mind you), etc. the currency used in this shop, called gems, can also be traded for gold and vice versa, with prices fluctuating depending on a trade ratio (so if there'are too many gold -> gem trades, the price of gems rise, but if too many gems are traded for gold, the price drops). this means that even if you really want something from the cash shop, you can just trade in-game gold for gems and pay for it. to this day, i've only spent 10 dollars in the store, and it was for a halloween costume (and some extra stuff).

Ok cool. I'll give it a shot then.
#19 Posted by BrunoBRS (73263 posts) -
[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"][QUOTE="nini200"] Yes Premium edition lol Is that stuff you can unlock in the game anyway? And oh they will turn out great and um... :P :lol:

nini200
the premium edition has, to be honest, a lot of useless crap. i would pass on it unless they make a special deal like the one on christmas, where the premium edition was priced the same as the standard. the game is completely free after the initial payment. it has a cash shop of convenience items (that can be obtained in-game for free anyway) and cosmetic stuff, like town clothes, backpacks that look like stuffed animals (with no special stats on them, mind you), etc. the currency used in this shop, called gems, can also be traded for gold and vice versa, with prices fluctuating depending on a trade ratio (so if there'are too many gold -> gem trades, the price of gems rise, but if too many gems are traded for gold, the price drops). this means that even if you really want something from the cash shop, you can just trade in-game gold for gems and pay for it. to this day, i've only spent 10 dollars in the store, and it was for a halloween costume (and some extra stuff).

*points at sticky thread on this very board* make sure to drop by once you get the game, and choose the right server (Fort Aspenwood) :P
#20 Posted by nini200 (9947 posts) -
[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"][QUOTE="nini200"][QUOTE="BrunoBRS"] the premium edition has, to be honest, a lot of useless crap. i would pass on it unless they make a special deal like the one on christmas, where the premium edition was priced the same as the standard. the game is completely free after the initial payment. it has a cash shop of convenience items (that can be obtained in-game for free anyway) and cosmetic stuff, like town clothes, backpacks that look like stuffed animals (with no special stats on them, mind you), etc. the currency used in this shop, called gems, can also be traded for gold and vice versa, with prices fluctuating depending on a trade ratio (so if there'are too many gold -> gem trades, the price of gems rise, but if too many gems are traded for gold, the price drops). this means that even if you really want something from the cash shop, you can just trade in-game gold for gems and pay for it. to this day, i've only spent 10 dollars in the store, and it was for a halloween costume (and some extra stuff).

*points at sticky thread on this very board* make sure to drop by once you get the game, and choose the right server (Fort Aspenwood) :P

Hmmm... Naaahhhh :lol: :P
#21 Posted by BrunoBRS (73263 posts) -
[QUOTE="nini200"][QUOTE="BrunoBRS"][QUOTE="nini200"] Ok cool. I'll give it a shot then.

Hmmm... Naaahhhh :lol: :P

but playing alone is no fun... your loss.
#22 Posted by ionusX (25716 posts) -

could always add me to friends we could chill n sh!t :)

#23 Posted by Maroxad (8433 posts) -

Both are free, so you get both and see which one you like the most. But if you like Lances, I dunno about TERA, the Lancer was the most boring experience I have had in any mmorpg.

The general consensus is that TERA is a better game. That said, neither game is particulary well recieved in the gaming community (P2W are complaints I see). So you might be better off with GW2 as others suggested.

As for GW2, it is a well made game, but unfortunately, it was too shallow and left me with a terrible taste in my mouth. The combat is some awkward hybrid between hotkey combat and action combat (having none of the advantages of either) and the resource management is near non-existant and the PvP skill ceiling is low. The world doesnt react to you as what they say, instead of the boss respawning after 10 minutes he respawns after 20. And the variety is terrible too, if you stick to say human zones only, you will be fighting centaurs and bandits for 40 levels or so. Thankfully you can move to other races areas as well, but still.

[spoiler]  

gw1gw2wow.png

[/spoiler]

Anyhow, if none of the flaws I mentioned bother you, then you should enjoy it. 

#24 Posted by rissbo (49 posts) -

[spoiler]  

gw1gw2wow.png

[/spoiler]

Maroxad

I can agree on some points in that chart, but it should be taken with a grain of salt since it's probably made by some disgruntled player, heh. Original GW does have more soul, so to speak, even though I played the second one more. For me, GW 2 has the best leveling experience in any MMO, and at times you feel like you are playing something like Skyrim (not the deepest single player RPG but still better than the dull leveling most MMOs have). No mounts and no open world pvp may be a turnoff for some MMO players though.

#25 Posted by Maroxad (8433 posts) -

I can agree on some points in that chart, but it should be taken with a grain of salt since it's probably made by some disgruntled player, heh. Original GW does have more soul, so to speak, even though I played the second one more. For me, GW 2 has the best leveling experience in any MMO, and at times you feel like you are playing something like Skyrim (not the deepest single player RPG but still better than the dull leveling most MMOs have). No mounts and no open world pvp may be a turnoff for some MMO players though.

rissbo

I made the chart in that spoiler tag to express my opinion of the game in one pic. Mostly the bad (as I clearly didnt like it), but also I wanted to give credit for the few things they did get right. Such as giving you some motivation for returning to low level areas which is a serious gripe I have with a lot of mmos where only 3% or so of the world is actually relevant.

#26 Posted by rissbo (49 posts) -

I made the chart in that spoiler tag to express my opinion of the game in one pic. Mostly the bad (as I clearly didnt like it), but also I wanted to give credit for the few things they did get right.

Maroxad

Legit opinion, I'm cool with that, and lots of people would agree with you. Hope I didn't sound offensive or anything. :)

#27 Posted by Maroxad (8433 posts) -

[QUOTE="Maroxad"]

I made the chart in that spoiler tag to express my opinion of the game in one pic. Mostly the bad (as I clearly didnt like it), but also I wanted to give credit for the few things they did get right.

rissbo

Legit opinion, I'm cool with that, and lots of people would agree with you. Hope I didn't sound offensive or anything. :)

Dont worry, you didnt ;)

All opinions should be not be taken too seriously, what matters is what you think of the product as opposed to what everyone else thinks. As for using opinions whether or not to like a game. Being able to read them carefully and letting you decide for yourself and try to pick away as much of the bias as possible is great skill to have. Opinions will always be biased.