Tabs in the browser

This topic is locked from further discussion.

soolkiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 soolkiki
Member since 2008 • 1783 Posts

tropic_thunder_RDJ.jpg

hmm.

fnevaeva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 fnevaeva
Member since 2005 • 617 Posts

Why do we need tabs? I guess why not, but you can only look at 1 screen at a time anyway, so why have them?

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts
..... you serious?
KalDurenik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 KalDurenik
Member since 2004 • 3736 Posts
..... you serious?MBirdy88
i hope not
alan_carter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 alan_carter
Member since 2009 • 1404 Posts

I just opened this nonsense thread in a tab.

N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 N30F3N1X
Member since 2009 • 8923 Posts

..... you serious?MBirdy88

He might be, he has an Xbox avatar after all.

fnevaeva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 fnevaeva
You can only look at 1 page at a time, so whats the need for tabs?
MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts
You can only look at 1 page at a time, so whats the need for tabs?fnevaeva
multitasking
soolkiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 soolkiki
Member since 2008 • 1783 Posts

Right now I'm watching a Youtube video while switching between Facebook, Tumblr, and gamespot. It would be a hassle to have to load a new page every time I wanted to check on those really quick. That's the need.

Gallowhand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 9

#10 Gallowhand
Member since 2013 • 697 Posts

[QUOTE="fnevaeva"]You can only look at 1 page at a time, so whats the need for tabs?MonsieurX

multitasking

Exactly that.  Much easier and quicker to just click between tabs, if you don't want to keep opening/closing web pages.

maddogmark25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 maddogmark25
Member since 2003 • 3632 Posts

Yall-postin-in-a-troll-thread.jpg.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

Why do we need tabs? I guess why not, but you can only look at 1 screen at a time anyway, so why have them?

fnevaeva

d

Ever heard of reading a webpage while another one loads...??

KalDurenik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 KalDurenik
Member since 2004 • 3736 Posts

Yall-postin-in-a-troll-thread.jpg.

maddogmark25
You dont say?
Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts
Hes serious.....
DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts
Why would you listen to music while writing something in Word with explorer running in the background when you can disable explorer and every other process like skype/yahoo/Steam/sound drivers/dropbox and the likes/mouse apps, you're only looking at your Word document, right? There's your answer Mr. Troll.
fnevaeva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 fnevaeva
The topic is titled Tabs in the BROWSER. You can open your web browser and work on a word document. But there is only 1 page open for the music.
DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 DanielDust
The topic is titled Tabs in the BROWSER. You can open your web browser and work on a word document. But there is only 1 page open for the music.fnevaeva
Why would you open an internet browser when working in Word? you can only see Word.
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

It's a test for adhd

i have 30 tabs open

I guess I failed

fnevaeva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 fnevaeva
Because your web browser is a seperate application apart from Word used for other needs. Do you listen to multiple songs at the same time?
DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 DanielDust
Because your web browser is a seperate application apart from Word used for other needs. Do you listen to multiple songs at the same time?fnevaeva
I listen to multiple sounds at a time.
fnevaeva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 fnevaeva
Sounds are seperate from a compilation of sounds which make a song. Your trying to twist my point. But it stands.
nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#22 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts
To keep the task bar clutter free mainly, so the browser can manage memory better too. I use tabs and new windows, I'm crazy like that.
DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 DanielDust
Sounds are seperate from a compilation of sounds which make a song. Your trying to twist my point. But it stands.fnevaeva
You are missing the key to your understanding, it's been mentioned before, multitasking. You have 4 tabs for example, music streams in one, 2 forums and email, you listen to music in the background for one and despite you seeing only one tab, you are interested in multiple forums or forums and also emails and you refresh and participate in multiple discussions constantly and with ease you don't open a browser go to GS forum, open new tab, close GS forum, look for the other forum, log in go into the section you want, read, then you wonder if there's something new on GS, you open a new tab, close random forum, look for GS, sign in or look for the section you want and so on.
fnevaeva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 fnevaeva
You get less accomplished multi-tasking because you don't focus on one thing and is slower=fail
C_Rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 C_Rule
Member since 2008 • 9816 Posts
[QUOTE="fnevaeva"]You can only look at 1 page at a time, so whats the need for tabs?MonsieurX
multitasking

OP is probably incapable of that.
DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 DanielDust
You get less accomplished multi-tasking because you don't focus on one thing and is slower=failfnevaeva
You have to be pretty damn stupid to not get what this is all about and no, it's not about reading a book while cooking, on the toilet, writing an SMS and watching TV while listening to radio.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 FelipeInside
You get less accomplished multi-tasking because you don't focus on one thing and is slower=failfnevaeva
Grab a list of things to do on the net. For example: - Open a music strem - Download a YouTube Video - Read through a WikiPedia article etc etc Now, do that with one tab at a time and time how long it takes. Then, do it all at once with multiple tabs opened at once and time how long THAT takes. See what multitasking is?
Avatar image for harry_james_pot
harry_james_pot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#28 harry_james_pot  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 11414 Posts
... T1zr7.gif
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 FelipeInside
[QUOTE="harry_james_pot"]... T1zr7.gif

Hahahahahahahah. Perfect.... Castle is da man !!!
bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#30 bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts
"Hmm that link looks interesting, better open it right now in this same page because I can't possibly look at it any time except right this second."
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 FelipeInside

If you do too many things at once, it takes longer to complete all those projects. Similar to a cpu, if you have to many things running at the same time, those programs run slower and your cpu isn't as effective. If you want to read through your mail, you don't watch tv, do sit-ups, play your games, and work on your homework at the same time do you? No, you focus on one thing, get it done, and move on to the next thing. It's a simple concept that you guys don't seem to understand. Einstein said "Make things as simple as you can, but no simpler". fnevaeva

(I don't know if ur trolling or not.)

If not, I am wondering how the hell you don't get run over by a car when you cross the road.

So all your life you've only done one thing at a time?

How the hell do you maintain a job even?

- I'm at work doing stuff and thinking about what to cook tonight

- I can be listening to music while doing push-ups

- I can be writing RIGHT NOW on this forum while music is playing and I have a file downloading.

Your sentence of "If you do too many things at once, it takes longer to complete all those projects." might apply to YOU cause you can't multi-task, but not to other people who can do it effectively.

And the CPU analogy? OMFG..... CPUs are meant for doing lots of things at once...why do you think they are multicore?

Do the TIME TEST I gave before and come back here and admit you are wrong.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

This is so dumb.  Seriously, why troll PC games. Go back to system wars or OT where trolling is expected

N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 N30F3N1X
Member since 2009 • 8923 Posts

Are you dumb? Don't you even know what multitasking means?

fnevaeva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 fnevaeva
If you do too many things at once, it takes longer to complete all those projects. Similar to a cpu, if you have to many things running at the same time, those programs run slower and your cpu isn't as effective. If you want to read through your mail, you don't watch tv, do sit-ups, play your games, and work on your homework at the same time do you? No, you focus on one thing, get it done, and move on to the next thing. It's a simple concept that you guys don't seem to understand. Einstein said "Make things as simple as you can, but no simpler".
fnevaeva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 fnevaeva
It still renders the cpu and makes it less effective on cpu heavy programs. Even if you have a multi-core cpu, it still wares on it. And, ADHD is actually your lack of ability to focus, which means doing multiple things at once makes it even harder and slower to accomplish things. I actually have ADHD, but I do believe that if we focus on something, we tend to Hyperfocus on that one thing and venture into the depths of our mind in which people without adhd can't. Not saying that everyone without adhd isn't capable of doing this. But there tends to be more people who can hyperfocus who have ADHD (which recently they changed the medical term to only ADHD to stand for both ADD and ADHD instead of have both seperate)
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

114.gif.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 FelipeInside

It still renders the cpu and makes it less effective on cpu heavy programs. Even if you have a multi-core cpu, it still wares on it. And, ADHD is actually your lack of ability to focus, which means doing multiple things at once makes it even harder and slower to accomplish things. I actually have ADHD, but I do believe that if we focus on something, we tend to Hyperfocus on that one thing and venture into the depths of our mind in which people without adhd can't. Not saying that everyone without adhd isn't capable of doing this. But there tends to be more people who can hyperfocus who have ADHD (which recently they changed the medical term to only ADHD to stand for both ADD and ADHD instead of have both seperate)fnevaeva

Well, you might suffer from that but I personally don't. 

I can do one thing and accomplish that one thing at 100%, and I also can do 5 things at a time and accomplish them at 100%. (I'm in IT, I'm used to it).

Hopefully you can learn to do various things at once, it does wonders with deadlines.

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#38 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

This is so dumb.  Seriously, why troll PC games. Go back to system wars or OT where trolling is expected

lostrib

This. Trolling should be limited so SW and OT.

Twisted14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#39 Twisted14
Member since 2007 • 3497 Posts
Uh ok I'll give a different example. Say I'm doing research for a project, and I've a read half of a long article on a single web page. I then need to look something else up. I open up a new tab and look for what I have to, all the while, the article I'm reading is still there in another tab. I'm not going to close that article, lose my spot and go do something else and then go all the way back to that article again. That is a waste of time. Sure, I would have to do that anyway if this was like 1999, but it's not. It's 2013, processors are powerful enough to handle many tabs at once with minimal slowdown. Unless your PC is old, multitasking isn't a problem, and actually allows you to do things faster. I always have at least two tabs open at once. One for a GS board and one for another forum I use. I simply keep them open and always there and when I want to I can very quickly go to them and refresh, browse for a few seconds and then go back to something else. You can keep facebook open with conversations going but do other things at the same time. Whatever. There are billions of different combinations and scenarios where you could have multiple tabs open. I'm sorry if you simply don't see it, or think it is a bad thing. Let me tell you, it is not a bad thing. At all. It actually saves lots of time. If I wanted to 'hyperfocus' on something, I will. But I rarely have to and therefore, keep multiple tabs open, though I'm not even sure if keeping one tab open only really helps your focus much, especially when it comes to trivial tasks such as posting on forums.
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#41 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

This thread has nothing to do with games.O_o

Kh1ndjal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Kh1ndjal
Member since 2003 • 2788 Posts
while we're on the subject of tabs, i was wondering why we need multiple windows?
Cyberdot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Cyberdot
Member since 2013 • 3928 Posts

:|

ciorlandenis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#44 ciorlandenis
Member since 2012 • 322 Posts

is this the internets? where is tubes???

yonyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 yonyz
Member since 2008 • 651 Posts

There's a point to what the OP said, that multitasking doesn't always lead to "more stuff done faster". We don't actually do two or more things at once, but we do shift our focus from one to another pretty fast that it almost seems we're doing both at the same time. But as others have said, you can use multiple tabs to stream music and read something or whatever. It also looks nicer than multiple browser windows and I think for me it's faster to switch tabs compared to windows.

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

TC is stupid

Thread has nothing to do with games

Lock.