swapping mobo, cpu and ram, wipe both drives?

#1 Posted by superleggera (111 posts) -

I have an ssd with my os installed, and another hdd for all my other data. WIll I have to format both drives or just the ssd? thanks

#2 Posted by PfizersaurusRex (710 posts) -

Only SSD. Some programs installed on your HDD will work on the new Windows installation, some won't, but I wouldn't format it.

#3 Edited by PredatorRules (8369 posts) -

@PfizersaurusRex said:

Only SSD. Some programs installed on your HDD will work on the new Windows installation, some won't, but I wouldn't format it.

It's better of to start with fresh clean install, but I agree you could format SSD only, you might want to concider that as above mentioned some games and/or programs won't work, so you'll need to install them once again.

#4 Posted by jer_1 (7451 posts) -

If you're running windows 8 I don't believe you need to reinstall anything, other than a few drivers.

I just swapped my mobo and CPU out and I didn't have to do any reinstalling other than an audio driver and then re-register windows with a new key they'll give you. Switching mobo's luckily no longer requires reinstalling windows (thank the universe).

#5 Posted by FelipeInside (25853 posts) -

@jer_1 said:

If you're running windows 8 I don't believe you need to reinstall anything, other than a few drivers.

I just swapped my mobo and CPU out and I didn't have to do any reinstalling other than an audio driver and then re-register windows with a new key they'll give you. Switching mobo's luckily no longer requires reinstalling windows (thank the universe).

Depends.

#6 Posted by ferrari2001 (17073 posts) -

@FelipeInside said:

@jer_1 said:

Depends.

yep, I believe if you are switching between similar types of mobo's, reinstallation is not necessary. For example I upgraded from 1 AM3+ motherboard to another AM3+ motherboard and no reinstallation was required. However if I were to upgrade my AM3+ to a Socket 1155 mobo I would most likely have to reinstall windows.

#7 Posted by FelipeInside (25853 posts) -

@ferrari2001 said:

@FelipeInside said:

@jer_1 said:

Depends.

yep, I believe if you are switching between similar types of mobo's, reinstallation is not necessary. For example I upgraded from 1 AM3+ motherboard to another AM3+ motherboard and no reinstallation was required. However if I were to upgrade my AM3+ to a Socket 1155 mobo I would most likely have to reinstall windows.

It has mostly to do with the chipset and a few other factors. If the new mobo has the same chipset, then 99% of the time you won't need to reinstall Windows.

It has gotten A LOT better. With versions like Win95 and Win98, you just changed the RAM and sometimes it would blue screen and reinstall was needed. These days you have a much higher chance that Windows will just reboot and install the new drivers.

#8 Edited by superleggera (111 posts) -
@FelipeInside said:

@ferrari2001 said:

@FelipeInside said:

@jer_1 said:

Depends.

It has mostly to do with the chipset and a few other factors. If the new mobo has the same chipset, then 99% of the time you won't need to reinstall Windows.

It has gotten A LOT better. With versions like Win95 and Win98, you just changed the RAM and sometimes it would blue screen and reinstall was needed. These days you have a much higher chance that Windows will just reboot and install the new drivers.

I'm running windows 7, and im going from a phenom 965 to an i5 4760k, so prob safe to say i need clean slate? And will i need a new windows key for the install, or use my old one?

#9 Edited by superleggera (111 posts) -

I guess i should have stated the fact that im going from amd to intel. WIll that cause any conflicts in the other hdd?

#10 Edited by ferrari2001 (17073 posts) -

@superleggera said:

I guess i should have stated the fact that im going from amd to intel. WIll that cause any conflicts in the other hdd?

chances are you will have to reinstall windows on the SSD. It won't effect the 2nd Hard Drive. Some programs will still have to be reinstalled but other then that it won't have a huge effect.

#11 Posted by FelipeInside (25853 posts) -

@superleggera said:
@FelipeInside said:

@ferrari2001 said:

@FelipeInside said:

@jer_1 said:

Depends.

I'm running windows 7, and im going from a phenom 965 to an i5 4760k, so prob safe to say i need clean slate? And will i need a new windows key for the install, or use my old one?

High chance that yes, you will need to reinstall. With such a huge change I would reinstall anyway.

With the key it will probably not activate, since it registers the key with the CPU ID. You can ring Microsoft and see what they can do.

#12 Posted by ferrari2001 (17073 posts) -

@FelipeInside said:

@superleggera said:
@FelipeInside said:

@ferrari2001 said:

@FelipeInside said:

@jer_1 said:

Depends.

High chance that yes, you will need to reinstall. With such a huge change I would reinstall anyway.

With the key it will probably not activate, since it registers the key with the CPU ID. You can ring Microsoft and see what they can do.

It's usually not to difficult to move a copy of windows to another system. With Windows 8 it is extremely easy. You call, it provides you with an automated machines, you enter in a bunch of numbers on the screen and it activates your copy of windows. I've never done that with Windows 7 but I'd imagine it's also a fairly simply and straight forward process.

#13 Posted by FelipeInside (25853 posts) -

@ferrari2001 said:

@FelipeInside said:

@superleggera said:
@FelipeInside said:

It's usually not to difficult to move a copy of windows to another system. With Windows 8 it is extremely easy. You call, it provides you with an automated machines, you enter in a bunch of numbers on the screen and it activates your copy of windows. I've never done that with Windows 7 but I'd imagine it's also a fairly simply and straight forward process.

It's the same procedure, but when it detects that the key has been activated with another Chipet/CPU, then the activation is refused. You can then go through to an operator and if you say the right things, sometimes they allow it to activate again.

#14 Posted by vfibsux (4208 posts) -

Fresh installs are best but if it is not convenient you could get away without a reinstall. Sometimes it will boot just fine, others just do a quick windows repair. This isn't the 90's anymore, a reformat is not always required.

#15 Posted by superleggera (111 posts) -

@FelipeInside said:

@ferrari2001 said:

@FelipeInside said:

@superleggera said:
@FelipeInside said:

It's the same procedure, but when it detects that the key has been activated with another Chipet/CPU, then the activation is refused. You can then go through to an operator and if you say the right things, sometimes they allow it to activate again.

I dont get the parts for a day or so but Ill contact microsoft. THe thing is I dont know if i have an oem copy of 7 or not. I originally purchased the parts for the pc through ncix and I believe I bought a full retail copy, but I got them to build it for me at the time, and i don't remember receiving a full retail box, hopefully they didn't install an oem copy on it. But ill see what they can do, thanks for the help guys!

#16 Edited by PredatorRules (8369 posts) -

@superleggera said:

@FelipeInside said:

@ferrari2001 said:

@FelipeInside said:

@superleggera said:
@FelipeInside said:

I dont get the parts for a day or so but Ill contact microsoft. THe thing is I dont know if i have an oem copy of 7 or not. I originally purchased the parts for the pc through ncix and I believe I bought a full retail copy, but I got them to build it for me at the time, and i don't remember receiving a full retail box, hopefully they didn't install an oem copy on it. But ill see what they can do, thanks for the help guys!

That's why you pay 20$ on normal copy =)

#17 Posted by vfibsux (4208 posts) -

Just for the record I just now finished upgrading my wife's cpu, motherboard, and ram (switched from DDR2 to a DDR3 board) and it booted up no problem at all. Used driver booster to update drivers and was good to go. No reinstall or repair required.

#18 Posted by GameBandit8 (67 posts) -

you can create a factory partition from a usb flashdrive fyi. google it.