suggestion on PC upgrade

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by Geminon (1095 posts) -

my current system specs are:

intel i5 2500K @ 4ghz

8gb DDR3 1600

Asus P8P67 EVO motherboard

EVGA Superclocked GTX570

i am thinking about upgrading, but i dont have the money to do a complete overhaul quite yet. would it be better to get a new motherboard and a Haswell processor, or buy a new graphics card (maybe a GTX 770)?

im only interested in Intel and Nvidia. i have no interest in switching to AMD. thanks.

#2 Edited by Postmortem123 (7568 posts) -

Go for a 280X/770 or 290X/780. Your CPU is still powerful enough.

#3 Edited by DJ_Headshot (6176 posts) -

I'm using a i7 920 at 4Ghz and still playing high end pc games just fine with a sandy bridge quadcore you have even less reason to upgrade. Also can't you overclock your cpu a couple more megahertz if you want some more cpu speed. 4GHz is around the limit for older Nehalem cpu but sandybridge and up seem to be able to go to 4.4-4.8 Ghz on air.

Anyways on the cpu side your more then fine and can easily wait at least a couple more years hopefully a worthy upgrade will come out. I personally don't consider it a true upgrade unless I get a 6 core intel cpu or higher I don't see how anything less will last me as long as the i7-920.

For the gpu a GTX770 4GB would be a good upgrade from your GTX 570 although if you can hold out tell Nvidia Maxwell gpu line in the first half of 2014 you can get even more bang for your buck.

#4 Edited by Geminon (1095 posts) -

@DJ_Headshot:

you know, i have tried to push my CPU beyond 4ghz several times, and i just cant get it to be stable. i even have a dual fan heatsync (coolermaster hyper 212 with dual fans) the size of a softball and i cant get it to be stable. i dunno what the deal is. i have heard people say they are able to get their sandy bridge to 4.8 easily on air... but beyond 4ghz and my CPU just completely craps out. most of the time my Mobo will just flat reject the overclock settings and reset everything back to default before booting.

#5 Edited by Daious (892 posts) -

Your CPU is fine. GPU would be the biggest upgrade.

#6 Posted by kraken2109 (12950 posts) -

@Geminon said:

@DJ_Headshot:

you know, i have tried to push my CPU beyond 4ghz several times, and i just cant get it to be stable. i even have a dual fan heatsync (coolermaster hyper 212 with dual fans) the size of a softball and i cant get it to be stable. i dunno what the deal is. i have heard people say they are able to get their sandy bridge to 4.8 easily on air... but beyond 4ghz and my CPU just completely craps out. most of the time my Mobo will just flat reject the overclock settings and reset everything back to default before booting.

Did you adjust voltage?

#7 Posted by Klunt_Bumskrint (3423 posts) -

@Geminon said:

intel i5 2500K @ 4ghz

8gb DDR3 1600

EVGA Superclocked GTX570

i am thinking about upgrading, but i dont have the money to do a complete overhaul quite yet. would it be better to get a new motherboard and a Haswell processor, or buy a new graphics card (maybe a GTX 770)?

im only interested in Intel and Nvidia. i have no interest in switching to AMD. thanks.

Upgrade that gpu. Skip the 770 and go for 780, some great offers out there at the moment.

#8 Posted by Postmortem123 (7568 posts) -

@Geminon said:

intel i5 2500K @ 4ghz

8gb DDR3 1600

EVGA Superclocked GTX570

Upgrade that gpu. Skip the 770 and go for 780, some great offers out there at the moment.

Agreed, with the current price difference it's worth the extra.

#9 Posted by mastershake575 (8348 posts) -

An i5 clocked at 4ghz (regardless if its 1st gen, 2nd gen, 3rd gen....ect) is going to be 2-3 times faster than the CPU of the next gen consoles (your CPU could last the entire generation if you wanted it too).

The GTX 570 is actually a pretty decent card but if you have to upgrade then sell it for $150 and then pay $150-180 out of pocket for a gtx770/280x (then wait for 20nm)

#10 Edited by Geminon (1095 posts) -

@Geminon said:

@DJ_Headshot:

Did you adjust voltage?

ofcourse. i had to adjust it to get it to 4ghz. doesnt seem to matter how much juice i give it, it still becomes unstable above 4ghz.

#11 Posted by Geminon (1095 posts) -

An i5 clocked at 4ghz (regardless if its 1st gen, 2nd gen, 3rd gen....ect) is going to be 2-3 times faster than the CPU of the next gen consoles (your CPU could last the entire generation if you wanted it too).

The GTX 570 is actually a pretty decent card but if you have to upgrade then sell it for $150 and then pay $150-180 out of pocket for a gtx770/280x (then wait for 20nm)

i havent had any problems with games until recently with my GPU. battlefield 4 is a perfect example. while i understand it is horribly optimized and runs really poorly no matter what hardware you have, i cant run the game on ultra.... and im used to playing games maxed out. while high looks good (same as ultra on BF3, sometimes even a little better).... i still want to be able to max future games like the witcher 3, dragon age 3, and the like.... which means i apparently need to upgrade.

im not sure i can afford a GTX780... im looking at them right now on newegg and they are between 500-550. GTX770 can be had for 299. while the 780 is indeed faster, im not sure it is 250 dollars faster. you really think it is worth it?

#12 Posted by mastershake575 (8348 posts) -

The 770 is only like 15-20% slower than the 780 so if you can get it for a good price ($299 is an amazing price) then it would for sure be the better value

#13 Edited by Elann2008 (32953 posts) -

Man.. do people just look at numbers or the "newest thing out?" The i5-2500k is a beast... even at stock.. Nothing will challenge it for another 3 years minimum.. Next-gen console games aren't much of an upgrade over current gen.. just go dig and research.. all that stuff you see is just marketing jumbo. You're set for a long time.. Just upgrade the GPU.