xxninja666xx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By xxninja666xx
Member since 2011 • 737 Posts

Yes, another game request from me. No long list of highly specific criteria this time, though, so worry not.

I've just finished the Tomb Raider reboot and want more adventure. Anything else like it? What I'm looking for is a fun, preferably linear action game with fluid, fast-paced gunplay and a tiny bit of platforming and stealth, taking place in a cool setting that would fit into an adventure film.

I've already played all the Far Cry games, if anybody was about to suggest that.

Possible FAQ:

1. "How about the older Tomb Raider games?"

No. The older TRs were much more focused on the puzzling aspect of the game, while I'm looking for something more action-oriented.

2. "What about Uncharted? The 2013 Tomb Raider is basically a clone of it."

Unless it miraculously comes out on PC, I'm not going to play it, as I don't own a PS3.

Arthas045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 Arthas045
Member since 2005 • 5800 Posts

I was thinking of Prince of Persia? That is hard game to compare too...

xxninja666xx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 xxninja666xx

Prince of Persia games are more like the old Tomb Raider games, so they're not what I'm looking for.

top_lel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#4 top_lel
Member since 2014 • 886 Posts

@xxninja666xx: Prince of Persia The Forgotten Sands somewhat fits your criteria.

xxninja666xx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 xxninja666xx

@top_lel

Not really. Too much platforming for me. I'm basically looking for a shooter.

Arthas045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Arthas045
Member since 2005 • 5800 Posts

Splinter Cell or Just Cause 2?

slateman_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 slateman_basic
Member since 2002 • 4142 Posts

Wolfenstein The New Order if all you want is a shooter.

xxninja666xx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 xxninja666xx

@Arthas045 said:

Splinter Cell or Just Cause 2?

Splinter Cell - nope, too much stealth for my taste. I want it as an option of approach, not a core gameplay mechanic.

JC2 - I'm not sure. JC1 was unbearably awful. Is the sequel better and actually enjoyable?

@slateman_basic said:

I've already beaten it, but you're on the right track. That's the type of game I'm looking for.

top_lel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 top_lel

@xxninja666xx said:

@slateman_basic said:

I've already beaten it, but you're on the right track. That's the type of game I'm looking for.

Then Call of Juarez:Gunslinger might really be up your alley.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

Huh saw a similar type of thread over at escapist.. ;)

Have you played shadow warrior? if not then try it.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

@xxninja666xx said:

@Arthas045 said:

JC2 - I'm not sure. JC1 was unbearably awful. Is the sequel better and actually enjoyable?

The difference between JC1 and JC2 is night and day.

I didn't like JC1 that much, but JC2 was amazing.

xxninja666xx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By xxninja666xx

@Gamerno6666 said:

That one's also mine. I like to make request threads on multiple sites because so many people, so many minds.

BTW. What's your nick over there?

@Gamerno6666 said:

Have you played shadow warrior? if not then try it.

I have. Didn't like it that much, though.

@top_lel said:

Then Call of Juarez:Gunslinger might really be up your alley.

Maybe not Gunslinger, since I don't like starting from sequels, but Call of Juarez isn't a bad recommendation in general. I remember it having everything I'm looking for now.

illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#13  Edited By illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts

Gunslinger stands on its own and completely different from the last games

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Im sorry but theres literally nothing quite like Tomb Raider (imperfect as it was).

How about the Batman Games.... the only criteria it doesnt have is gun play.

xxninja666xx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 xxninja666xx

@illmatic87 said:

Well, because of the brand I expected it to be another dark and serious Wild West tale, like the first two games were. Now that it actually watched a video of it, turns out it actually looks like something I would've loved Bulletstorm to be. And that's awesome.

@Lulu_Lulu said:

Im sorry but theres literally nothing quite like Tomb Raider (imperfect as it was).

How about the Batman Games.... the only criteria it doesnt have is gun play.

I'm actually looking for Tomb Raider's shooting and stealth mechanics more than anything else, so Batman isn't really something I'd be satisfied with.

SaintSatan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By SaintSatan
Member since 2003 • 1986 Posts

@xxninja666xx: Assassins Creed: Black Flag and Batman: Arkham Asylum & City are about as close as you're gonna get. Asylum has plenty of stealth gameplay. Also horror games seem to fit the 3rd person shooter criteria quite a bit - Alan Wake, The Evil Within, Dead Space 1 & 2, Resident Evil 4, 5, and 6 ect. The Evil Within especially has a lot of stealth gameplay and sneaking around. If you like insanely hard games like Dark Souls then you'll probably like The Evil Within, that game is absolutely fuckin' punishing. You will cry.

xxninja666xx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By xxninja666xx

@saintsatan:

AC and Batman aside, the titles you recommended are actually as far from what I'm looking as humanly possible. In Tomb Raider the shootouts were fast and intense. Apart from that, you had to be mobile all the time because enemies didn't skimp on grenades and often changed positions to ambush you. All of the games you recommended have either tank controls, or incredibly slow paced gameplay. Or both.

-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 -wildflower-
Member since 2003 • 2997 Posts

Nope, nothing else. Thank goodness.

xxninja666xx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 xxninja666xx

@-wildflower- said:

Nope, nothing else. Thank goodness.

Why exactly "thank goodness"? Are you another one of those stuck-up Tomb Raider fanboys that refuse to accept their beloved series have gone through a major change?

-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By -wildflower-
Member since 2003 • 2997 Posts

Nope, just thought it wasn't a very good game. Too many cut-scenes and QTEs. The final "boss" fight was probably one of the dumbest fights ever in gaming history, too.

SaintSatan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By SaintSatan
Member since 2003 • 1986 Posts

@xxninja666xx said:

@saintsatan:

AC and Batman aside, the titles you recommended are actually as far from what I'm looking as humanly possible. In Tomb Raider the shootouts were fast and intense. Apart from that, you had to be mobile all the time because enemies didn't skimp on grenades and often changed positions to ambush you. All of the games you recommended have either tank controls, or incredibly slow paced gameplay. Or both.

Uhhh no? The Evil Within is exactly what you just mentioned. Fast paced intense action when not stealthing around, lots of stealth and sneaking in certain parts, you have to be mobile and move around a lot (WAY more so than Tomb Raider) when engaging enemies, you must change positions constantly, ect. The Evil Within is also has much more tactical shooting than Tomb Raider does, by far.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-5ebea105efb64

@xxninja666xx said:

@Gamerno6666 said:

That one's also mine. I like to make request threads on multiple sites because so many people, so many minds.

BTW. What's your nick over there?

I don't have an account there. I just browse the threads I find interesting.

illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#23 illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts

@xxninja666xx said:

@illmatic87 said:

Well, because of the brand I expected it to be another dark and serious Wild West tale, like the first two games were. Now that it actually watched a video of it, turns out it actually looks like something I would've loved Bulletstorm to be. And that's awesome.

It's a good game. But it's nowhere near like Tomb Raider. It's a straight up arcade shooter that's pretty lethal when it comes to mobility mechanics.

It's really flawed, though. It's one of those games that suffered from having an upgrade/progression system since all the cool stuff you can do is gated through linear skill trees.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By deactivated-5ebea105efb64

How about Saboteur?

Old_Gooseberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#25 Old_Gooseberry
Member since 2002 • 3958 Posts

Its too bad Uncharted isn't on PC cause i would have said that... its similar to Tombraider 2013. But i liked Tomb Raider a lot more, its semi non linear on how you can backtrail to old areas and look around for things you missed.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

Conviction and Blacklist might be what you are looking for. You don't have to play these games like stealth games, you can play them as shooters if you desire.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 JangoWuzHere

@saintsatan said:

@xxninja666xx: Assassins Creed: Black Flag and Batman: Arkham Asylum & City are about as close as you're gonna get. Asylum has plenty of stealth gameplay. Also horror games seem to fit the 3rd person shooter criteria quite a bit - Alan Wake, The Evil Within, Dead Space 1 & 2, Resident Evil 4, 5, and 6 ect. The Evil Within especially has a lot of stealth gameplay and sneaking around. If you like insanely hard games like Dark Souls then you'll probably like The Evil Within, that game is absolutely fuckin' punishing. You will cry.

Evil Within doesn't have any stealth gameplay. The first two chapters rely on stealth as the opening, but the rest of the game is mainly shootouts with monsters.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

Dues ex human revolution ?

top_lel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 top_lel

@thehig1: definitely not

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 thehig1

@top_lel: are you the TC?

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#31  Edited By BassMan  Online
Member since 2002 • 17806 Posts

Enslaved, Castlevania: LOTS series, Darksiders series. Those are all similar to Tomb Raider substituting the gunplay for melee combat. There aren't too many games that fit the Uncharted/Tomb Raider mold.

Shadow of Mordor, Batman Arkham series, Assassin's Creed series also share similar action/adventure traits with Tomb Raider.

If you are looking for more of the third person shooter elements, you can try Gears of War, Spec Ops: The Line, and Freedom Fighters.

top_lel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 top_lel

@thehig1: No but at least I can tell it's far from what he's looking for. Deus Ex wants patience and the gunfights aren't really adrenaline inducing, if anything it's the direct opposite of Tomb Raider.

xxninja666xx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By xxninja666xx

@-wildflower- said:

Nope, just thought it wasn't a very good game. Too many cut-scenes and QTEs. The final "boss" fight was probably one of the dumbest fights ever in gaming history, too.

I actually didn't find the cutscenes and QTEs that bad. Looks like I got used to this stuff already. I agree on the boss, though - it was lazily done and lame as hell, along with the whole final chapter.

@illmatic87 said:

It's a good game. But it's nowhere near like Tomb Raider.

Well, it's good in it's own right and that counts. I'm gonna play it, but I'm not really gonna pretend it is what it's not.

@Gamerno6666 said:

How about Saboteur?

Looked at gameplay videos here and there. I don't think I'd like it. On paper it has everything I'm looking for mechanics-wise, but the whole presentation is kinda meh - everything seems so stiff and unpolished, as if the game was done quickly and on a budget.

@JangoWuzHere said:

Conviction and Blacklist might be what you are looking for. You don't have to play these games like stealth games, you can play them as shooters if you desire.

They look kinda nice, but all the ridiculous features these games have, like automatic headshots combined with enemies dumb as a rock are an overkill, especially since I found stealth, where I could headshot two people from 100m away using nothing but my aiming skills, so satisfying in TR2013.

@JangoWuzHere said:

Evil Within doesn't have any stealth gameplay. The first two chapters rely on stealth as the opening, but the rest of the game is mainly shootouts with monsters.

From what I've seen so far, this game isn't much of a shooter. It's more in vein of classic survival horror games, where the ammo was scarce and you had to rely more on melee combat.

@BassMan said:

Enslaved, Castlevania: LOTS series, Darksiders series. Those are all similar to Tomb Raider substituting the gunplay for melee combat.

If nothing better pops up, I think I'll go with Enslaved. It looks the most enjoyable out of those three (I'm not really fond of console hack n' slash style of combat).

@BassMan said:

Shadow of Mordor, Batman Arkham series, Assassin's Creed series also share similar action/adventure traits with Tomb Raider.

They also share the type of "combat" I absolutely loathe. Only Batman did it kinda right because it's mostly extremely close quarters combat where your enemies practically hug you.

@BassMan said:

If you are looking for more of the third person shooter elements, you can try Gears of War, Spec Ops: The Line, and Freedom Fighters.

In all of these (except Freedom Fighters that I might consider playing) the action relies too much on using the covers - you basically stick to one of them and play peek-a-boo with your enemies. I wouldn't mind that much if the action was faster... but it isn't.

@top_lel said:

@thehig1: No but at least I can tell it's far from what he's looking for. Deus Ex wants patience and the gunfights aren't really adrenaline inducing, if anything it's the direct opposite of Tomb Raider.

It's like you're reading my mind :3

top_lel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By top_lel

@xxninja666xx: I always get what you want. Sadly, I rarely have any suggestions for you.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 thehig1

@xxninja666xx: it has stealth...sneaky sneaky sneaky :)

Avatar image for PfizersaurusRex
PfizersaurusRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 PfizersaurusRex
Member since 2012 • 1503 Posts

@Gamerno6666 said:

How about Saboteur?

LOL what put me off most about Saboteur was the fact that it was very Tomb Raideresque. It felt wrong for a WWII-themed game. But it is a game that's different than most other games, even with all it's flaws. Also 2 older games come to mind: Velvet Assasin and Dark Sector. I particularly enjoyed Dark Sector. There's something about slicing people in half with a boomerang...

xxninja666xx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By xxninja666xx

@thehig1: And I'm looking for something more shooty shooty bang bang with a teeny tiny bit of sneaky sneaky :P

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 thehig1

@xxninja666xx said:

@thehig1: And I'm looking for something more shooty shooty bang bang with a teeny tiny bit of sneaky sneaky :P

if your ever in a sneaky sneaky mood, Dues Ex HR is really good.

General_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 General_X
Member since 2003 • 9137 Posts

Maybe some of the newer Resident Evils? I'm thinking 5 and onward? Seconding Just Cause 2 it's quite different from JC1 and you can pick it up cheap in the Steam sale. You might look into Warhammer 40k Space Marine as well if you like the Gears of War style 3rd-person gunplay.

xxninja666xx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By xxninja666xx

@General_X said:

Maybe some of the newer Resident Evils? I'm thinking 5 and onward?

Did they get rid of the tank controls and give them a proper mouse support? Cause otherwise I'm not touching them with a 10-foot pole.

General_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 General_X
Member since 2003 • 9137 Posts
@xxninja666xx said:

@General_X said:

Maybe some of the newer Resident Evils? I'm thinking 5 and onward?

Did they get rid of the tank controls and give them a proper mouse support? Cause otherwise I'm not touching them with a 10-foot pole.

I do believe they added strafe into RE5 (until you bring up your weapon to aim), I'm not sure about RE6 as I haven't played it but I think there is/was a demo of RE5 you can try to see if you like it.

xxninja666xx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By xxninja666xx
@General_X said:

I think there is/was a demo of RE5 you can try to see if you like it.

Just checked. There's no interactive demo, only a benchmark non-interactive one.

xxninja666xx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By xxninja666xx

Any other ideas?

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 JangoWuzHere

@xxninja666xx said:

Any other ideas?

Ghost Recon: Future Soldier?

Ground Zeroes?

Lost Planet 1-3?

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By FelipeInside

@xxninja666xx said:

Any other ideas?

Actually a lot better than I first thought (currently playing through it)

xxninja666xx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By xxninja666xx

@JangoWuzHere said:

I got it recommended on another site. It'd have been good, but Ubi apparently thinks everyone who plays their games is "special" and they need ridiculous amount of hand holding. In this case "hand holding" being the ability to see enemies through walls. I think I'll pass on this one.

@JangoWuzHere said:

Ground Zeroes?

It looks good, but I've heard it's basically only a short (1-1.5h long) "demo" of Phantom Pain and consists only of one level. Is it true? If yes, then it's not worth it, methinks.

@JangoWuzHere said:

Lost Planet 1-3?

Completely not what I'm looking for mechanics-wise, but I remember Lost Planet being extremely fun, so this goes on the "maybe" list.

xxninja666xx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By xxninja666xx
@FelipeInside said:

@xxninja666xx said:

Any other ideas?

Just watched some gameplay videos. Looks okay-ish to me. Not sure if worth playing, though. People's opinion about it doesn't really encourage me either. Should I give it a shot as something I'm looking for, regardless of what they say, or will I end up horribly disappointed?

ShimmerMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#48 ShimmerMan
Member since 2008 • 4634 Posts

MGS series.

Uncharted.

Binary Domain.

SOCOM series.

Ghost Recon Series.

StrangleHold.

Splinter Cell Series.

Gears of War.

Resident Evil 4/5/6.

Hitman series.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 FelipeInside

@xxninja666xx said:
@FelipeInside said:

@xxninja666xx said:

Any other ideas?

ust watched some gameplay videos. Looks okay-ish to me. Not sure if worth playing, though. People's opinion about it doesn't really encourage me either. Should I give it a shot as something I'm looking for, regardless of what they say, or will I end up horribly disappointed?

Firstly it's cell shaded, so if you don't like that kind of artistic graphics, you won't like it.

Secondly, it's an OK game... not great, but not awful either. If you don't expect too much of it, you will like it.

I was just trying to come up with something that everyone else hadn't.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 FelipeInside

@xxninja666xx said:

@JangoWuzHere said:

I got it recommended on another site. It'd have been good, but Ubi apparently thinks everyone who plays their games is "special" and they need ridiculous amount of hand holding. In this case "hand holding" being the ability to see enemies through walls. I think I'll pass on this one.

@JangoWuzHere said:

Ground Zeroes?

It looks good, but I've heard it's basically only a short (1-1.5h long) "demo" of Phantom Pain and consists only of one level. Is it true? If yes, then it's not worth it, methinks.

Ghost Recon: Future Soldier: great game. You can only see through walls if you use special grenades, and the game doesn't really hold your hand.

Ground Zeroes: Stay away. Basically a tech demo that should have been free but Kojima got greedy.