Stronghold Crusader 2 - any anticipation?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

I've had my eye on Crusader 2 for some time now, and it's finally made its way onto Steam with a preorder trailer.

The Stronghold series hasn't had a strong entry all the way since the first Crusader in 2002. I still care about the series because the first couple titles (Stronghold and SH: Crusader) were extremely fun and memorable strategy games. It's the only RTS game I'm still aware of where there's so much emphasis on fortifying your base (with a castle), and I love how you're given the freedom to design your own castle.

Other things I found memorable about Crusader...

- Stellar music

- Only RTS I've played with somewhat realistic fire mechanics. You can set fire to an enemy castle, watch the fire spread, and eventually burn down. Or if someone sets fire to your castle, you'd better hope you have enough peasants manning the wells to put it out.

- Self-maintaining economy, you simply make the buildings - peasants get jobs, they start harvesting resources, and start crafting new ones all on their own. If the peasant working the job dies, another one automatically takes his place.

- You could decorate your castle with happy decor or evil decor, affecting the peasant's military and work ability. There are also some additional hidden tricks and easter eggs with some of it.

- Enemy A.I. has several different personalities, each featuring their own difficulty level, castle designs, tricks, military strategy, dialogue, all complete with an animated face. Some A.I. will even exploit some of the game's dirtier strategies (constantly trying to set your base on fire from the beginning)

- Coolest victory condition ever: you lose when your Lord dies. He had a mind of his own and would often stroll around, but you could take direct control of him when necessary. He was a strong bugger too, capable to taking on a small legion of men all by himself.

Anyone else really looking forward to the new Crusader? I hope they come through...

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23765 Posts

Hoping for the best, expecting the worst. Please don't mess this up.

XIntoTheBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 XIntoTheBlue
Member since 2009 • 1070 Posts

I'm hoping this game turns out to be good 'cause I'm a sucker for games such as this.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

With how much I got boned buying Stronghold 3, I'm not very hopeful regarding castle sims.

Avatar image for harry_james_pot
harry_james_pot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 harry_james_pot  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 11414 Posts

@Maroxad said:

Hoping for the best, expecting the worst. Please don't mess this up.

Exactly this.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#6 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58461 Posts

Never played a single game of a the series. Waiting for reception, if it's decent, probably pick it up.

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

I like the series, but Stronghold 2 and 3 got good only after like a year of patches, so I won't buy Crusader 2 at launch.

Avatar image for PfizersaurusRex
PfizersaurusRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8  Edited By PfizersaurusRex
Member since 2012 • 1500 Posts

The little of gameplay I've seen looks like the original but with modern graphics and physics. So I think there's a chance they won't screw this one up. I mean all they gotta do is remake the first game with a modern engine, like they did with Half Life 1 and Source engine. And keep the legendary voice acting and music!

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts
@PfizersaurusRex said:

The little of gameplay I've seen looks like the original but with modern graphics and physics. So I think there's a chance they won't screw this one up. I mean all they gotta do is remake the first game with a modern engine, like they did with Half Life 1 and Source engine. And keep the legendary voice acting and music!

As lame as that'd be, I'd take it. I don't want another butchered Stronghold title. :(

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

@AdrianWerner said:

I like the series, but Stronghold 2 and 3 got good only after like a year of patches, so I won't buy Crusader 2 at launch.

Stronghold 3 is STILL crap. They've stopped patching it.