Still struggling with PC controls advice?

RenegadeSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#1 RenegadeSteve
Member since 2013 • 262 Posts

I haven't play my ps3 since early this year but i'm still finding it hard to adapt to the keyboard and mouse. With that being said is their and advice that anyone can give me?

I've been playing Hitman Absolution for some time now but still find it difficult, I also haven't touch Deus Ex even tho it's downloaded. The whole button config just feels so weird.

SapSacPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By SapSacPrime
Member since 2004 • 8925 Posts

I really can't give yu any advice to learning how to play using a kb/m efficiently because I honestly took to it like a fish to water; but I will advice that since you aren't playing competitive multiplayer games by the sound of the two games you listed, why not just hook up a controller and play how you want to?

Edit: If that's the original Deus Ex you plan to play I see the problem :/ well I know that when I want to brush up on my fps skill nothing beats Counter Strike.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

@renegadesteve said:

I haven't play my ps3 since early this year but i'm still finding it hard to adapt to the keyboard and mouse. With that being said is their and advice that anyone can give me?

I've been playing Hitman Absolution for some time now but still find it difficult, I also haven't touch Deus Ex even tho it's downloaded. The whole button config just feels so weird.

Pick some simple games and get used to a keyboard and a mouse, some FPSs like CoD, Battlefield or CS, might be even some free FPSs that are on the market (Planetside 2, Tribes, Quake Live)

Don't forget compared to controller you can bind any key to any options in the game.

A tip for you when binding keys: keep the most used actions close to your WASD keys: Q, E, R, F, C, Shift, Space.

Also if you have a gaming mouse - thumb button (AKA mouse 4) is another good button to assign something useful.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

@PredatorRules said:

@renegadesteve said:

Pick some simple games and get used to a keyboard and a mouse, some FPSs like CoD, Battlefield or CS, might be even some free FPSs that are on the market (Planetside 2, Tribes, Quake Live)

Don't forget compared to controller you can bind any key to any options in the game.

A tip for you when binding keys: keep the most used actions close to your WASD keys: Q, E, R, F, C, Shift, Space.

Also if you have a gaming mouse - thumb button (AKA mouse 4) is another good button to assign something useful.

pretty much this. Pick a really simple fps game to play through in SP, should be enough. Personally I would advise something like the first Half-Life. then after that play an fps game that is a bit more complex, and after that, I doubt you would have any real issues. It is worth mentioning that some people are wired slightly differently in the head, I for one can not play with a mouse unelss it is inverted, I really can't. So sometimes you can just fundamentally not accept an input method.

if that is the case, grab a 360 controller and enjoy :)

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

I found Seroius Sam BFE a really good game to get used to keyboard and mouse controls, its as simple as FPS games get.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 blueinheaven
Member since 2008 • 5554 Posts

If your games support controller get a wireless 360 gamepad and use that. Lots of games are better with a controller. Strategy games, some RPG's I'll use mouse and keyboard but other games I really want a controller even in non competitive FPS.

RenegadeSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 RenegadeSteve

@Motokid6 said:

Well I imagine those two particular games you mentioned have controller support. Have you considered that? As for getting use to WASD... I can't really say. It's like trying to teach you how to breathe and blink. What exactly do you find difficult/awkward about WASD to begin with?

I have considered using a controller but I feel it defeats the purpose of trying to learn WASD. It feels awkward and the way my hand is position hurts plus I find myself looking down a lot at my keyboard when playing games and I tilt my keyboard for some reason as if I was writing, I'm left handed btw.

@SapSacPrime said:

I really can't give yu any advice to learning how to play using a kb/m efficiently because I honestly took to it like a fish to water; but I will advice that since you aren't playing competitive multiplayer games by the sound of the two games you listed, why not just hook up a controller and play how you want to?

Edit: If that's the original Deus Ex you plan to play I see the problem :/ well I know that when I want to brush up on my fps skill nothing beats Counter Strike.

I'm trying to get use to the controls so i can play those other games like counter strike & bf3. I think if I go back to the controller I will have learnt nothing

RenegadeSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 RenegadeSteve

@Maddie_Larkin: @PredatorRules: I'll looking into playing some simple FPS just so I can get use to the controls thanks

quikdash6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By quikdash6
Member since 2004 • 480 Posts

I switched a few years ago now. I still have problems with weapon swaps using the number row and getting "E" and "F" mixed up sometimes. I would suggest jumping right into the FPS games too. They are usually pretty simple as far as the number of keys you'll need to press in a round. In BF4 I made my mouse side buttons select my primary and secondary weapon.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#11  Edited By pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

@renegadesteve said:

Install somethign like Quake III Arena or Quake Live and practice against bots. As you get better at it increase the bot difficulty. Serious Sam: The Second Edition or the more recent BFE would be good games to practice with too as someone mentioned above, even better if you have friends to play them with, those game are still great fun in coop especially TSE.