Steam Store just got a major update

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for harry_james_pot
harry_james_pot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By harry_james_pot  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 11414 Posts

Details and Changelist

The highlights include recommendations based on what you've been playing, a discovery queue, customization options to define what kind of products appears in each area, and indicators that shows when you already own a game or have it in the wishlist.

I like the changes, some of them are really useful. But there's just way too much blue everywhere. I liked how the recent client update added a little bit of blue in some areas, but I think this is a bit much.
What do you guys think?

SerOlmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#2  Edited By SerOlmy
Member since 2003 • 2369 Posts

Meh, I can take it or leave it. I really had no issues with the old storefront. The individual game pages are laid out better IMO, but the front page sucks. You will need to customize it or it will keep presenting you with crap. At least it did for me, kept suggesting games I would never be interested in and have zero relevance. They also need to work on the filters for the suggestion queue so you can knock out genres you don't like.

blangenakker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 blangenakker
Member since 2006 • 3240 Posts

Same here, had no problem with the previous look.

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#4 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts

A lot less random boxes. I like it. The old one seemed to cluttered.

kingarthurivvi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 kingarthurivvi
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

"For steam forum but removed due to censorship."

I have noticed it seems when policy is being questioned instead of allowing a free flow of information and debate between minds there is always a block and lock of the thread with a battle cry of “No policy should be debated because that is how it is”.

Yet we see these same people quoting policy and bringing it up at every turn. At what point is a contract supposed to be a meeting of the minds. Where a forum which is also supposed to be a meeting of the minds can not be used for a platform for these discussions.

There is no hate racism or bigotry in what I am saying simply asking for a topic to be open for discussion. Closing them shows fear in what people might think or that they think at all. It encourages ignorance and all I am trying to do is improve the service For everyone not just the buyer, though the buyer should be the one with all of the power not the least. Considering the only reason pc gamers buy anything is to show support it is purely voluntary.

I bring valid topics to the table and sometimes I get people who are brave enough to ask the same questions but There are a lot more that would not like these facts pointed out. While they have not yet effected me they have effected others and could potentially again and that is enough for me to go on about it until someone allows at least an open discussion instead of being complacent and censoring decent.

Some members insist people can not be banned from their games yet the internet is filled with examples that contradict this. Why would they have clear statements of permanent user deactivation in the EULA if they never used it. Why would moderators consistently point out you have no rights to games you buy and you only have a membership if that can not be taken away.

Examples:

http://www.steamtrades.com/forum/yzxIb/beware-steam-banned-for-receiving-stolen-items-without-even-knowing-it-read-inside

http://dev.dota2.com/archive/index.php/t-122225.html

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/135476-Valve-Bans-Developer-From-Steam-for-Prank-Exposing-Vulnerability-Update

I have a grievance And There is no reason to not want to discus these very important topics:

To have rights to their purchases.

To be informed of their purchases.

Simple labeling of the system software requirements and DRM limitations should be given

Check out should not be buy or sell but lease or license Enough with the shenanigans and taking advantage of people. The policies are only enforceable to those who agree to them and no one would buy a $60 license or consider a purchased game a limited subscription.

It is a bit crazy how I see master race get tossed around by pc gamers when pc is the only platform that you are told what to do with your games. That your rights do not exist while you do have the same EULA as you find in disk format digital distribution services like steam can have and will remove your rights to things you invested time money and sometimes content into. Slave-

to make directly responsive to another mechanism a person who is strongly influenced and controlled by something one that is completely subservient to a dominating influence

So no one here is a Master over their own library of games. Being a master over something looks a bit more like this. http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/why-free.html

I have said it before slaves are not meant to know they are wearing shackles and if they see them they are inclined to defend them as fashion accessories. Everyone seems worried about the wrong things to be honest this is in defense of valve one day as it has happened to other companies and even steam has been caught with there pants down in the past

Why not know what the people want before it ends up in A hit peace on every game news site because the wrong person got banned, or before it ends up in a court room being challenged. Why is it so hard to let people At least be informed instead of attempting to weasel everything in a complicated legal document that no one has ever bothered to read and comprehend without some legal background.

Or at least have an open flow of evidence from both sides of this topic instead of simply saying “Talking about science is wrong, we all have to listen to the infallible document or judgment be passed”. Maybe valve should add a stipulation about not permitting logical debate in the EULA they can shoehorn it next to the forced arbitration clause.

Sarcasm aside Either way everything I am asking works to benefit valve. This is simply feedback on how to improve their service Undoubtedly they can not change each developers EULA but they do hold the biggest basket and can set the example for others to lead. Quite frankly the example has been set far too long from greed motivated companies in the gaming industry most of which began their companies on theft and deception. Honestly it is becoming increasingly apparent DRM was never made to curb piracy as it really never has. It seems to me it is designed to keep honest people on a leash.

For people that are unsure what unfair EULA they will be forced to sign, not sure if what they said might be considered an excuse to be robbed of their hard fruits of their labor. Just maybe you want to make sure you are ok to be off the internet without problems loading your games. I do not see any reason why valve deserves or can be trusted to always keep this application open and connected. They state in the EULA they can scan the contents of your pc I am sure and that reason alone is not worth the consumers trust.

1. make sure all of your games load and are patched/up to date 2. hit offline mode on steam 3. Make sure windows firewall or other firewall is restricting inbound and outbound trafic, be sure to block ports in the router just for good measure. 4. make a quick backup of mydocuments, program folders, steam program folder, and registry for quick restoration as steam tends to forget user name and password randomly. 5. make a back up image on a separate HDD Just in case anything goes wrong.

Use the website for updates on something impossible to pass up people like me with over 500 or 1k games probably are not too interested in many new games and if they do see something they can research if any updates or changes in policy are worth connecting.

"The rights of the people to the exercise and fruits of their own

industry can never be protected against the selfishness of rulers not subject to their control at short periods." --Thomas Jefferson
Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

Urgh it's so flashy. And they removed the forum button from the game pages, AGAIN.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#7 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58856 Posts

It's great to finally be able to block out early access filth that has polluted steam in recent years.

Avatar image for harry_james_pot
harry_james_pot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8 harry_james_pot  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 11414 Posts

@airshocker said:

And they removed the forum button from the game pages, AGAIN.

I didn't notice that.. This really sucks. :/

digitm64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By digitm64
Member since 2013 • 470 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

It's great to finally be able to block out early access filth that has polluted steam in recent years.

Thank goodness !!!!!!!!!!