Steam not close to speedtest download speed?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

godonholiday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 godonholiday
Member since 2009 • 379 Posts

I am getting nowhere near the download speeds that speed test sites say I should be capable of?

Is that normal?

I do you utilize the full range?

Avatar image for deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9
deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9
Member since 2009 • 7779 Posts

Looks about right to me.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9384 Posts

This is correct. Your down speed is specified in Mbps (Megabits per sec). Steam shows it in MBps (Megabytes per sec). There are 8 bits in a byte so 12.5/8 = 1.5. All is well.

godonholiday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 godonholiday
Member since 2009 • 379 Posts

@pyro1245: Ahh missed the bits/bytes

Cheers

kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By kitty  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 115429 Posts

You can change speedtest to show your actual MB.
I recommend using the xfinity speedtest. Speedtest does its test in IPv4 which you can see a decrease in your actual top speed.

Old_Gooseberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#6  Edited By Old_Gooseberry
Member since 2002 • 3958 Posts

Speedtest never gives a very accurate test i find. Its such a short quick test, so it inflates the speed which you probably get. ISPs are very sneaky and give people burst speeds to trick us into thinking we are getting the speeds we are paying for, which can inflate the speedtest readings.

My internets slow... but as an example I pay for 5 mbit/sec internet, and in speed test sometimes it gets near this number... but in an actual download after about 10-15 seconds the speeds will go down from 5 to 3 and will stay even at about 3 mbit/sec. Basically what they have done is let your internet burst speeds to a certain amount but any sustained speeds will go down to a certain level after a brief amount of time. A sneaky move to save themselves bandwidth and screw customers out of what they should be getting. This also tricks us, because they'll run speedtest infront of you and say, "see your getting the speeds we promised". Ya for 10 seconds then it drops in half of that speeds... thanks for nothing, 90 bucks a month for this?

I'm not sure if this is what your isp does, but mine does. Your speeds are really good compared to mine, i wish i had another isp i could switch to.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

@Old_Gooseberry said:

Speedtest never gives a very accurate test i find. Its such a short quick test, so it inflates the speed which you probably get. ISPs are very sneaky and give people burst speeds to trick us into thinking we are getting the speeds we are paying for, which can inflate the speedtest readings.

With speedtest, only trust the 2nd or 3rd test. Never the first one.

kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 kitty  Moderator

@jun_aka_pekto : I can see deleted posts. :P
That's actually not that bad. We pay $75 and we picked the highest package available at the time, it was 60 Mbps.
But what you see on the picture I posted before is what we've always gotten and we've had this for well over a year now.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

@kitty said:

I recommend using the xfinity speedtest. Speedtest does its test in IPv4 which you can see a decrease in your actual top speed.

ipv4 is not any slower than v6. It's just that server may be busier on v4.

Truth_Hurts_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#11 Truth_Hurts_U
Member since 2006 • 9703 Posts

Change your download region in steam.

Settings < Downloads

Profit!

I get 15-17 MB/s downloads.

kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By kitty  Moderator

@JigglyWiggly_ said:

@kitty said:

Here you go

IPV4 is like that on all servers. This even happens on speedtest.net as it uses IPv4 and I see my speed constantly going down.
IPv6 is the only one that keeps my speed. I can post any amount of tests from speedtest and none will show 121mbps

kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 kitty  Moderator
@Truth_Hurts_U said:

Change your download region in steam.

Settings < Downloads

Profit!

I get 15-17 MB/s downloads.

I changed mine to washington, as it gives me the highest speeds and similar to yours.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14  Edited By JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

@kitty said:

@JigglyWiggly_ said:

@kitty said:

Here you go

IPV4 is like that on all servers. This even happens on speedtest.net as it uses IPv4 and I see my speed constantly going down.

IPv6 is the only one that keeps my speed. I can post any amount of tests from speedtest and none will show 121mbps

That's because something is wrong on your end. I get the same speeds for v4/v6 as do most others.

Go through this thread and look at people's posts, they're all more or less 1:1

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r28975270-Speed-Report-Free-Speed-Doubling-Upgrade-Here

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

I'm always amazed at how much internet and phone contracts are in the US. I get 152 down and 12 up alongside hundreds of TV channels and a landline phone for ~£50 a month. My mobile contract gives unlimited texts, 500 minutes and 3GB internet for £12 a month.

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#16 Lach0121
Member since 2007 • 11779 Posts

@kraken2109: Yeah in the US internet access is highly inflated in price. ISPs heavily throttle speed usage, and throw on ridiculous data caps.

Plus the greedy-ass providers want to destroy net neutrality, thus being able to charge their customers exponentially more. All hail the "Dollar-God." :(

kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By kitty  Moderator

@JigglyWiggly_ said:

That's because something is wrong on your end. I get the same speeds for v4/v6 as do most others.

Go through this thread and look at people's posts, they're all more or less 1:1

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r28975270-Speed-Report-Free-Speed-Doubling-Upgrade-Here

Didn't mean to bump this. But problem is solved.

hard drive was the case. jeez it was slowing things down big time. popped in a ssd and things changed. the results don't go down on xfinity on the v4 and are a little off from the v6

also internet speed actually improved, dunno how, but there is a 5 - 7 MB difference (increase) when it comes to downloads on steam

General_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 General_X
Member since 2003 • 9137 Posts

@Old_Gooseberry said:

My internets slow... but as an example I pay for 5 mbit/sec internet, and in speed test sometimes it gets near this number... but in an actual download after about 10-15 seconds the speeds will go down from 5 to 3 and will stay even at about 3 mbit/sec. Basically what they have done is let your internet burst speeds to a certain amount but any sustained speeds will go down to a certain level after a brief amount of time. A sneaky move to save themselves bandwidth and screw customers out of what they should be getting. This also tricks us, because they'll run speedtest infront of you and say, "see your getting the speeds we promised". Ya for 10 seconds then it drops in half of that speeds... thanks for nothing, 90 bucks a month for this?

I'm not sure if this is what your isp does, but mine does. Your speeds are really good compared to mine, i wish i had another isp i could switch to.

I've always suspected this but thought I was being paranoid, glad to see other people experience this as well.

Kh1ndjal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Kh1ndjal
Member since 2003 • 2788 Posts

@General_X said:

@Old_Gooseberry said:

I've always suspected this but thought I was being paranoid, glad to see other people experience this as well.

Some ISPs have been known to give maximum bandwidth possible to speedtest tests, while throttling other usage.

krazyorange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#20  Edited By krazyorange
Member since 2005 • 2669 Posts

I wouldn't trust speedtest in any case, unless you take about 20 tests and average them out (at all times of day).

The most "accurate" I've seen is testmy.net. It was recommended by an engineer friend who said it's what they use at work. Comcast recommended speedtest to me, so my trust in that is inherently out the window.

kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 kitty  Moderator

@krazyorange said:

I wouldn't trust speedtest in any case, unless you take about 20 tests and average them out (at all times of day).

The most "accurate" I've seen is testmy.net. It was recommended by an engineer friend who said it's what they use at work. Comcast recommended speedtest to me, so my trust in that is inherently out the window.

the site you listed isn't accurate at all for me.

It showed this.
Download :: 65.6 Mbps 8.2 MB/s

http://www.speedtest.net/result/4058357540.png

speedtest shows what I actually get, which is almost double

krazyorange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#22 krazyorange
Member since 2005 • 2669 Posts

@kitty: And now you know the truth of your speed. You never get what you pay for, especially with Comcast. I'm paying for 25mbps with Comshit and speedtest always gives me that, but when I use testmy I get drastically different results, but results that are consistent to themselves (eg across time sampling periods).

kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 kitty  Moderator

@krazyorange said:

@kitty: And now you know the truth of your speed. You never get what you pay for, especially with Comcast. I'm paying for 25mbps with Comshit and speedtest always gives me that, but when I use testmy I get drastically different results, but results that are consistent to themselves (eg across time sampling periods).

Well depends. If I use the same server I use for speedtest, then I do get those speeds, at least on steam since I can choose which server to use. Now for all the other sites, then yeah, I can agree 100% because I have no control over that.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
Member since 2008 • 17476 Posts

@krazyorange said:

That site doesn't seem accurate for me either, it gives significantly slower speeds than what I get in actual practice. Testmy.net claims I have 70mbit down, Speedtest.net claims I have 125mbit down. Actually downloading things on Steam consistently stays between 14-15MB/s over long periods of time. Speedtest provided a much more accurate result than testmy.net did for my connection.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

@ferret-gamer said:

@krazyorange said:

That site doesn't seem accurate for me either, it gives significantly slower speeds than what I get in actual practice. Testmy.net claims I have 70mbit down, Speedtest.net claims I have 125mbit down. Actually downloading things on Steam consistently stays between 14-15MB/s over long periods of time. Speedtest provided a much more accurate result than testmy.net did for my connection.

Could it be country specific?

I just built a new house and am on fibre (Australia NBN), Woop Woop.

I get the same speeds on Speedtest as I do on TestMy.

fallen567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 fallen567
Member since 2015 • 26 Posts

@pyro1245: and this speed? the speed test is correct. thats the speed i pay for. i know the dl speed i get. every game i download has the speed that is shown in the speedtest.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#28 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

My download speeds are up to specs. I'm getting what is advertised (50/50 Mbps) by my ISP here in Arizona. It was back in New York where my download speeds were a third of what was advertised (9.5/26 Mbps). Granted, I pay $10 more per month here in Arizona. But, I don't feel like I'm being ripped off.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

epic necro

CrimsonBrute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points