Steam is really pushing the PC platform !

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Shatilov (4088 posts) -
Previously with the Mac, and now with the Linux Beta. If it is embraced on Linux as it was on Mac, there is a high chance that future games will be on all 3 platform, the state of the PC platform could change, it already changed with steam earlier this Gen, but this is a step forward for the PC platform. Just liked to share my thoughts about this. I dont game on Linux or Mac, but to have this options available for others, its a good thing nonetheless.
#2 Posted by Amster_G (4289 posts) -

Yeah!

high_five-2495.jpg

#3 Posted by attirex (773 posts) -
"Blog it" reply in 3....2....1.......
#4 Posted by FelipeInside (25316 posts) -
Previously with the Mac, and now with the Linux Beta. If it is embraced on Linux as it was on Mac, there is a high chance that future games will be on all 3 platform, the state of the PC platform could change, it already changed with steam earlier this Gen, but this is a step forward for the PC platform. Just liked to share my thoughts about this. I dont game on Linux or Mac, but to have this options available for others, its a good thing nonetheless. Shatilov
It's good to know, but they should really make the PC Product more optimized and better before going onto different platforms. Don't get me wrong, I love Steam but for example Origin in Beta has better things than a client that's been out 10 years.
#5 Posted by -wildflower- (2855 posts) -

It's good to know, but they should really make the PC Product more optimized and better before going onto different platforms. Don't get me wrong, I love Steam but for example Origin in Beta has better things than a client that's been out 10 years.FelipeInside

Which "things" did Origin have that Steam doesn't? And how is Steam not optimized for PC? I'm not saying you're incorrect but I'm curious about what these "things" might be. I've honestly never noticed them.

Look, I don't particularly like either form of DRM (lets be honest, that's what they are) but, for whatever reason, maybe because it was here first and I'm more used to it, I see Steam more as a necessary evil and Origin more as a superfluous one.

#6 Posted by nutcrackr (12469 posts) -
it's definitely a great move. Steam has done a lot of good things for PC gaming so I hope the linux side of things continues to grow.
#7 Posted by Loegi (1692 posts) -
Really like this push for some other OS's than Windows.

Steam really shouldn't get sloppy though. Origin is quickly catching up with the livestreaming integration, and the ability to choose where you want to instal (how this still isn't implemented in Steam baffles me).
#8 Posted by HyperWarlock (3256 posts) -

Blog it.

#9 Posted by FelipeInside (25316 posts) -

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]It's good to know, but they should really make the PC Product more optimized and better before going onto different platforms. Don't get me wrong, I love Steam but for example Origin in Beta has better things than a client that's been out 10 years.-wildflower-

Which "things" did Origin have that Steam doesn't? And how is Steam not optimized for PC? I'm not saying you're incorrect but I'm curious about what these "things" might be. I've honestly never noticed them.

Look, I don't particularly like either form of DRM (lets be honest, that's what they are) but, for whatever reason, maybe because it was here first and I'm more used to it, I see Steam more as a necessary evil and Origin more as a superfluous one.

I'm like you, although I love Steam, since it brings so many great things, it's still a full blown always online DRM. As for your question, I personally just found Origin a lot better from launch (even in Beta). If you remember back, the launch of Steam was horrible. It's gotten a lot better but it still has it's issues. (Origin does too). One thing I hate about Valve with Steam is the updates, the non-existent ones. For example, - Took them 10 years to make a screenshot feature? Really? - Took them about 5-6 years to make games work offline? (some worked, some didn't beforehand). - There is still no option to change font size on chat windows, like c'mon. - There is still no option after 13 years to install games into another drive (I think they are just including this now). That's what I meant, Origin is already incorporating screenshots and TwitchTV on the next update, and it's been out less than a year.
#10 Posted by slabber44 (978 posts) -
Not defending Steam by know means, but they were the first to do many things, so their growing pains were more. Origin had the luxury of seeing what Steam had and didn't have and was able to work off what Steam had done to that point. Like you said though, Steam did seem to drag behind on a few features that should have been implemented much sooner.
#11 Posted by slimjimbadboy (1729 posts) -

[QUOTE="-wildflower-"]

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]It's good to know, but they should really make the PC Product more optimized and better before going onto different platforms. Don't get me wrong, I love Steam but for example Origin in Beta has better things than a client that's been out 10 years.FelipeInside

I'm like you, although I love Steam, since it brings so many great things, it's still a full blown always online DRM. As for your question, I personally just found Origin a lot better from launch (even in Beta). If you remember back, the launch of Steam was horrible. It's gotten a lot better but it still has it's issues. (Origin does too). One thing I hate about Valve with Steam is the updates, the non-existent ones. For example, - Took them 10 years to make a screenshot feature? Really? - Took them about 5-6 years to make games work offline? (some worked, some didn't beforehand). - There is still no option to change font size on chat windows, like c'mon. - There is still no option after 13 years to install games into another drive (I think they are just including this now). That's what I meant, Origin is already incorporating screenshots and TwitchTV on the next update, and it's been out less than a year.

13 years of steam eh?

#12 Posted by Shatilov (4088 posts) -
[QUOTE="Shatilov"]Previously with the Mac, and now with the Linux Beta. If it is embraced on Linux as it was on Mac, there is a high chance that future games will be on all 3 platform, the state of the PC platform could change, it already changed with steam earlier this Gen, but this is a step forward for the PC platform. Just liked to share my thoughts about this. I dont game on Linux or Mac, but to have this options available for others, its a good thing nonetheless. FelipeInside
It's good to know, but they should really make the PC Product more optimized and better before going onto different platforms. Don't get me wrong, I love Steam but for example Origin in Beta has better things than a client that's been out 10 years.

for me using origin has been a bad experience. I cant buy anything on Origin. Not 1st because of the Region Pricing, which i didnt care about, but also because I cant update my games, I cant log in, I cant buy anything did i mention that. I just cant use it.
#13 Posted by Shatilov (4088 posts) -
[QUOTE="-wildflower-"]

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]It's good to know, but they should really make the PC Product more optimized and better before going onto different platforms. Don't get me wrong, I love Steam but for example Origin in Beta has better things than a client that's been out 10 years.FelipeInside

I agree with what ur saying, but when steam launched it was the 1st of it kind, and it brought new features along the years of its development, it reacted to what its community requested, or asked for, they recently started workshop for Mods. These things evolve over time, while origin, just came along the stream and picked things up.
#14 Posted by ravenguard90 (3064 posts) -

I agree with what ur saying, but when steam launched it was the 1st of it kind, and it brought new features along the years of its development, it reacted to what its community requested, or asked for, they recently started workshop for Mods. These things evolve over time, while origin, just came along the stream and picked things up.Shatilov

QFT.

It's an unfair comparison to compare Steam when it was first launched to Origin when it first launched. Two very different market environments when they were each released.

Also, those two things you mention about message font size and different directories for games aren't in Origin either, from what I know about it. So, again, it's unfair to criticize Steam for something that even its competition doesn't have.

#15 Posted by Allicrombie (25133 posts) -
i cant say anything bad about Steam, I have 200 games on there. They let people like me, who loathe sunlight and fresh air,. still get games. Fresh air cuts through me like a knife.
#16 Posted by DanielDust (15402 posts) -

I agree with what ur saying, but when steam launched it was the 1st of it kind, and it brought new features along the years of its development, it reacted to what its community requested, or asked for, they recently started workshop for Mods. These things evolve over time, while origin, just came along the stream and picked things up.Shatilov
I actually liked "Origin" before it started adding useless features, but anyway, regarding Steam, Valve might do some great things, like the workshop, etc, but you're completely missing the point here, every single service from any competition Steam has (that integrates the usual features used) offers what Steam doesn't or is taking multiple years to develop, chat features, installing games where you want (I doubt any company thought for a single seconds "hey, let's not let people install games where they want, just make them download in the same app folder and call it a day for the next decade").

Steam might be adding more and more features (mostly useless) and they might contain the most features in a DD platform, but they have a lot of problems and features missing, more than any competition, they're focusing on social aspects instead of focusing on the client that frankly sucks more every patch, getting closer and closer to the old client that was by far the worst application I used.

#17 Posted by the_bi99man (11047 posts) -

I'm like you, although I love Steam, since it brings so many great things, it's still a full blown always online DRM.FelipeInside

Is it? Offline mode works perfectly fine for all my games...

#18 Posted by SharkheadHD (231 posts) -

Steam is an incredible program. I'd still be gaming without it but it helped me bring my friends together and allowed me to connect with so many more people.

#19 Posted by Nibroc420 (13567 posts) -

[QUOTE="-wildflower-"]

Comparing the original steam, to origin...

Might as well be complaining that portable cassette players dont have touch screens, WiFi connectivity, and a slim/sleek look like the iPod touch...

#20 Posted by FelipeInside (25316 posts) -
^^ I wasn't directly comparing the two, I was just saying that Valve takes way too much time to incorporate basic features, and im talking about years here, not a few patches. The chat font size is still so small that it hurts my eyes to read on 1920x1080. Sure it was find back then in 800x600 but Valve needs to keep uo with the times. Origin doesn't have font size but its already optimized for high res.
#21 Posted by Starshine_M2A2 (4074 posts) -

It's a shame GFWL can't replicate it's success.

#22 Posted by W1ndstryke (6 posts) -
It's a bit sad that steam seems to be the only driving force behind PC gaming aside from Minecraft and a few other very niche projects (most of which migrate to consoles too); Good to see it coming over to Linux & mac though.
#23 Posted by FelipeInside (25316 posts) -
It's a bit sad that steam seems to be the only driving force behind PC gaming aside from Minecraft and a few other very niche projects (most of which migrate to consoles too); Good to see it coming over to Linux & mac though.W1ndstryke
Huh? What about Blizzard?
#24 Posted by WaterSphere (217 posts) -
Definitely do enjoy me some Steam.
#25 Posted by Hexagon_777 (20034 posts) -
Glad to see that Steam is pushing the Linux platform so much. It's only going to get better.
#26 Posted by trastamad03 (4852 posts) -

Now the question is... Do developers want to release their games on 3 PC platforms (2 of which have a long list of various combination of components) along with 3 Consoles with various strengths and weaknesses...

Most of them already use the excuse that they can't develop for PC because of how complicated it is since there's so many combinations of components, their next excuse will be MAC is too complicated to develop for and their excuse for Linux will be, we have no idea what Linux is.

Then again, Kudos for Valve for supporting Linux. Maybe they'll get the incentive to come up with a Steam OS now... Which would be cool.

#27 Posted by DanielDust (15402 posts) -

Maybe they'll get the incentive to come up with a Steam OS now... Which would be cool.trastamad03
It's called Linux, that's what an impossible to exist Steam OS would be (best case scenario). Any big company can make an OS (companies with thousands of employees not a game development studio that doesn't have enough people to create a support division), because you don't need support from most hardware and software developers to do that, games however do and that is the reason Windows will always be the only PC platform where games will happen, MAC and Linux will always be for the indie devs that want to sell as much as possible and the extremely few try hard big development studios, no more, no less.

About "that" excuse, like it or not, it's reality, not just a simple excuse.