Steam is down xD DDoS?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Shelledfade1 (317 posts) -

Down for a lot of people. Seems like DDoS, this has happened frequently the last couple of weeks. Of course, there is 0 information from valve.

#2 Posted by Kh1ndjal (2432 posts) -

it's down for me right now too. but this isn't the first time this has happened right?

#3 Posted by Arthas045 (5100 posts) -

@Kh1ndjal said:

it's down for me right now too. but this isn't the first time this has happened right?

Nor will it be the last.... Seems like a once a month ordeal anymore...

#4 Edited by Kh1ndjal (2432 posts) -

ok it just came online for me. how is it your end?

#5 Posted by SovietsUnited (2202 posts) -

Restarted my router as well as deleted all Steam files except the core (steam.exe, SteamApps, userdata), still offline.

#6 Posted by Horgen (110072 posts) -

Works without a problem here.

And there is an offer on Manhunt... Might buy that game.

#7 Edited by Shelledfade1 (317 posts) -

It just came back up for me, but it seems like it was down for at least a couple of hours that time.

#8 Posted by jun_aka_pekto (15938 posts) -

It seems to be down. But, it doesn't bother me too much right now. So long as I can play my games. I'm playing Metro Last Light right now.

#9 Edited by FelipeInside (25340 posts) -

@Kh1ndjal said:

Ever since they introduced Big Picture and tried to expand their market Steam has gone down in quality.

I never used to have an issue logging in, at home or work. Now sometimes it doesn't log in, sometimes it disconnects during the day, etc etc.

I think Valve is putting in it's mouth more than it can chew.

#10 Posted by R4gn4r0k (16336 posts) -

Ever since they introduced Big Picture and tried to expand their market Steam has gone down in quality.

I never used to have an issue logging in, at home or work. Now sometimes it doesn't log in, sometimes it disconnects during the day, etc etc.

I don't have many issues with steam myself, no disconnects.

When I was on steam I got the message that it would go down for routine maintenance. But anyone who just logged into steam did not get that message, so the communication could be a lot better.

But I totally agree: the steam store has been really crap lately as it has been flooded with games. It's like every day 5 new games barely anyone has heard off get onto steam. I'm all for PC offering games for every niche, like has always been the case, but flooding the store like that isn't good.

Some great games have been added on steam thanks to Greenlight (like Ikaruga and I think Grim Dawn) but a lot of it is bad and like 2% is unplayable. People voted on concepts and those are allowed to make it on steam, the concepts I mean.

#11 Posted by wis3boi (31167 posts) -

@Arthas045 said:

@Kh1ndjal said:

sounds like that high quality aussie net

#12 Edited by SerOlmy (1663 posts) -

I periodically get disconnected, but I certainly wouldn't call it frequent. And it usually comes back within 30 seconds. I can count on 1 hand the number of times it has prevented me or a buddy from joining a game. That said, I have been getting disconnected a lot this week, so they could be upgrading their servers. Now if you want to bitch about something consider the TF2 Item Server, which is constantly crashing or losing connection to the game servers and making it so you can't change your loadout.

I think a lot of the Steam disconnecting has to do with networking issues, where one of the major Steam login servers loses connection to the rest of the network. If this happens to you frequently try setting your DL server to a different location in the options menu. I live in Illinois and find that I have a better quality connection to the St. Louis hub as opposed to Chicago. Even if you live in koala-land there are several dozen servers to chose from.

#13 Posted by FelipeInside (25340 posts) -

@wis3boi said:

@FelipeInside said:

@Arthas045 said:

@Kh1ndjal said:

It has nothing to do with my net, or else every other client or program would disconnect as well.

I have pretty good ADSL2+ at home and we use Fiber at work.

It's not just Australia, friends overseas have issues now with Steam that never used to happen before.

#14 Posted by Cwagmire21 (5887 posts) -

@wis3boi said:

@FelipeInside said:

@Arthas045 said:

@Kh1ndjal said:

Aussie net or not - doesn't matter when Steam is down LOL