STEAM - Changing Default Drive For Downloads

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by blackace (20291 posts) -

Ok, I found out that STEAM was having this huge sale so I checked it out. I don't usually play PC games, but

6 games for $15 was just too good to pass up. So I download STEAM ordered Oddboxx Collection and Dues Ex collection.

My problem is I want to down the games onto my 2nd drive, but it keeps defaulting to my C: Drive. Where can I change the

default drive in STEAM so when I install my games, they go to my D: Drive? Any help would be appreaciated. Thanks

Here is the STEAM sale page for people who want to check it out. - http://store.steampowered.com

#2 Posted by Dataun (538 posts) -

i did it by installing steam on my D:\ instead of C:\ :P

#3 Posted by blackace (20291 posts) -

i did it by installing steam on my D:\ instead of C:\ :P

Dataun
I didn't do that because I thought there would be an option. STEAM is suppose to be so fantastic, but it doesn't allow you to install your games on multiple drives? There's gotta be a way.
#4 Posted by Cdscottie (1872 posts) -
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7710-tdlc-0426 Sadly, it looks like you need to run the application from the drive that you want the games installed on.
#5 Posted by Baranga (14217 posts) -
#6 Posted by Dataun (538 posts) -

Nah you can do it by going to regedit, search forsteamapps and change the folder you want it to go, then you create it accordingly,
if ya like i can make a batch file for you.

#7 Posted by blackace (20291 posts) -

Wow.. that's pretty sad. I'll just uninstall it and install STEAM on my D: drive. Will I be able to download the games again if I do this? Also, can you uninstall a game using STEAM?

#8 Posted by Mazoch (2408 posts) -
You're right it is one of the biggest flaws of steam (in my opinion at least). But yes you'll be able to download your games again as many times as you like.
#9 Posted by blackace (20291 posts) -
You're right it is one of the biggest flaws of steam (in my opinion at least). But yes you'll be able to download your games again as many times as you like. Mazoch
Alright. I'll give it a try. Thanks for the help people.
#10 Posted by Renevent42 (5136 posts) -
This is one of my only complaints about steam...I really wish there was a way to natively tell steam where to install each individual game.
#11 Posted by Kl3nn3 (38 posts) -

Wow.. that's pretty sad. I'll just uninstall it and install STEAM on my D: drive. Will I be able to download the games again if I do this? Also, can you uninstall a game using STEAM?

blackace
Don't know if this still works but when I ran out of space on my C: drive I just copied the entire folder to another empty drive and deleted the "ClientRegistry.blob" file and after that I launched Steam again without any problems, only thing that won't work are your shortcuts from games bound to Steam (still reading the old target line).
#12 Posted by Kinthalis (5308 posts) -

There's a simple solution to this: use a symbolik link.

Here's a handy utility that adds this feature to your right click menu in windows explorer:

http://schinagl.priv.at/nt/hardlinkshellext/hardlinkshellext.html

A symbolic link is a link that points to one directory, but to the operating system looks just like a subdirectory elsewhere on the drive.

Once you have this utility installed it's super simple, and it's how I do this, as well as how I setup things like my documents on another hard drive.

1. Cut and paste the steamapps folder to the desired locaiton in your second drive.

2. Right click the folder and choose "Pick link source".

3. Now navigate back to the steam folder, right where the steamapps folder used to be. Right click and choose "Drop As -> Symbolic Link".

That's it. As far as your OS knows, there is a steamapps folder in the steam folder, just as there was before. Except that the steamapps subfolder actually lives in your secondary HD.